Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Kelli Ward said that John McCain would have to live with his conscience in hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we should remember these speeches on nov 8, maybe this is how the concession speech is done nowadays

daniel webster got hosed by redistricting but he won a district with 18% of his old one (only 5. he's an enemy of paul ryan and such

his old district is now a safe blue orlando district and a lady police chief, valdez demings, won the primary. grayson and webster are likely to be replaced by soto and demings in the orlando area, or whatever the geography is, increasing minority representation in congress

lol this guy won the gop nomination in a 50-48 obama district

quote:

Babeu touted abusive, inhumane discipline of special needs teens at boarding school

Pinal County Sheriff and Congressional Candidate Paul Babeu supported, and even bragged about, the use of extreme, dangerous and abusive disciplinary methods on special needs students at a Massachusetts boarding school he used to run, according to a home video obtained by ABC15.

for ten minutes in the video , Babeu talked in detail about punishments used at the DeSisto School in Stockbridge, Mass., where he was Headmaster and Executive Director from 1999 to 2001.

Multiple times Babeu said the discipline “works” and “helps” students . He described one of the most punitive punishments as “amazing.”

Tuition at the therapeutic school topped $65,000. Many of the students had special needs, including eating disorders, depression, suicidal thoughts or attempts, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, self-harm, Tourette’s syndrome, and substance abuse issues.

“You should see these kids, they’re bonkers,” said Babeu in the video. Shortly later, he said, in order to get better, the students “need to feel hopeless and feel depression and complete failure.”

there's more, the school got shut down, but i dont wanna quote a whole article and its depressing

so i dont know if he's gonna run very far ahead of trump. the democrats got the candidate they wanted, who i think was a republican state legislator like 3 years ago or some poo poo. centrists are real and wave elections are their friend

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Aug 31, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

well i guess there's no real harm from his saltiness but it's no surprise tim canova is a child

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol the Trumpenproles are already taking over the GOP, and I don't think they're too concerned with it burning down or not.

Canova is somebody whose policies I don't agree with or trust him to actually sincerely hold, and I ABSOLUTELY do not trust him to not break ranks just to make a show of how independent he is and screw up some legislation.

DWS is somebody whose policies I don't agree with and I believe she holds them sincerely, but she'll vote however Pelosi tells her to so I'm not too terribly sad to see her win.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

DWS is somebody whose policies I don't agree with and I believe she holds them sincerely, but she'll vote however Pelosi tells her to so I'm not too terribly sad to see her win.

Well, you say that, but...

quote:

Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz blocked consideration of a resolution at the party’s summer meeting that would have praised President Obama and backed the his nuclear deal with Iran, The Washington Post reported Saturday, citing unnamed sources.

Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), who is Jewish, has not yet publicly said what she thinks of the nuclear deal and how she intends to vote when Congress considers it in September.
A DNC spokesperson said procedural issues blocked consideration of the resolution at the Minneapolis meeting, according to the report. The spokeswoman didn’t address Wasserman Schultz’s role.
The resolution would have put the national party on record in support of the agreement reached between the U.S., other world powers and Iran last month.

I don't buy the "procedural issues" excuse, shockingly.

Canova was a lovely challenger to DWS, no question, and his loss is a great example of why the Bernie-or-Bust types are so incredibly worthless. Had they put half as much effort into downticket races as they have in whining online, this would have been a winnable race. I didn't think they would, and I'm not surprised by this outcome, but still, they have no one to blame but themselves for this outcome.

But even so, Wasserman Schultz is a pretty glaring example of some of the worst aspects of the Democratic Party. Her remaining in Congress is Not A Good Thing, IMO.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kenlon posted:

What's so bad about Khanna?
He's a Silicon Valley cartoon character who's probably going to be very centrist.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ufarn posted:

He's a Silicon Valley cartoon character who's probably going to be very centrist.

"centrist"? he's been interviewed by breitbart and he's in cahoots with noted aspiring vampire and open white supremacist peter thiel and a lot of the most racist portions of the chinese-american community

Jerry Manderbilt has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Aug 31, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

What a shock, the guy BernieBros put all their hopes and dreams into is a whiny child. Also a complete loser like their hero.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
both DWS and Canova are scum. but, uh, they're Florida Democrats. So that almost goes without saying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We are the worst state party

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The fact that Democrats can't even get rid of someone as odious as Wasserman Schultz in a primary is why we can't have nice things.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm old enough to remember when progressives celebrated dws' appointment as a sign of the party's leftward turn

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Concerned Citizen posted:

i'm old enough to remember when progressives celebrated dws' appointment as a sign of the party's leftward turn

Which "progressives" were those?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mcmagic posted:

Which "progressives" were those?

in the dark days when one's progressiveness was measured by the intensity of your opposition to the iraq war. (dws was not only against it, but wanted immediate withdrawal and supported impeaching bush) the same reason why howard dean, the most conservative democratic governor in the country, became a progressive hero. and a big reason why progressives backed obama over clinton in 2008.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Howard Dean was actually a much better DNC head than Kaine or DWS. He orchestrated the Dems' biggest wins in the last 20 years.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Corek posted:

Howard Dean was actually a much better DNC head than Kaine or DWS. He orchestrated the Dems' biggest wins in the last 20 years.

Devi's advocate: how much of that was Dean and how much of that was the overall political environment in 2006?

Basically, would the Dems have made those gains even if there hadn't been a DNC chair? We need a measurement of replacement-level in politics...

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mcmagic posted:

The fact that Democrats can't even get rid of someone as odious as Wasserman Schultz in a primary is why we can't have nice things.

House politics are entirely local and have little to nothing to do with any sort of national feeling about someone.

DWS was/is popular in her district, she was never in any danger.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Also Tim Canova getting up after running a quixotic campaign that was going to go exactly nowhere and having a giant whine is pretty funny.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

House politics are entirely local and have little to nothing to do with any sort of national feeling about someone.

DWS was/is popular in her district, she was never in any danger.

This is the problem. Republicans have been able to nationalize house races and Dems haven't.

Corek posted:

Dean's post DNC career has been pretty despicable but he was at least a competent chair unlike DWS.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Corek posted:

I'm not willing to give him 2008 because a glass of water could've won a minor landslide after Palin and 8 years of Bush

Plus a lot of those "wins" were actually conservatives who saw the writing on the wall sooooo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Corek posted:

Dean was a good DNC chair in the sense that he made significant and strategic investments in the Democratic Party's data apparatus and helped bring the party out of the stone age, but beyond that it's hard to really credit him with 2006 or 2008.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dean's huge wins were basically him riding political shifts and saying 'you're WELCOME'. He wasn't a bad head by any means, but DWS also isn't bad. There's a decent gap between 'not bad' and 'good' in a job like that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Dean's huge wins were basically him riding political shifts and saying 'you're WELCOME'. He wasn't a bad head by any means, but DWS also isn't bad. There's a decent gap between 'not bad' and 'good' in a job like that.

DWS was good at raising money, I'm not sure I'd say she was good at anything else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She ran an abysmal midterm in 2014. There was no coordinated message coming from the top, so instead you had some Dems running away from Obama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DWS was good at raising money, I'm not sure I'd say she was good at anything else.

she was REALLY good at raising money. In her position, especially when you have tons of states actively trying to throw roadblocks into the DNC's way and all, that's a pretty big feather in the cap.

Like I said, huge gap between 'not bad' and 'good', I'm just saying she's not bad in the same way Dean was not bad.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

She ran an abysmal midterm in 2014. There was no coordinated message coming from the top, so instead you had some Dems running away from Obama.

the DNC is not the DCCC or the DSCC

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

2014's problem was the exact opposite. the messaging was coordinated to a hilarious degree, to the point where most campaigns were cookie cutter versions of each other. some dems ran away from obama, which was a good thing. there's no reason for democrats to tie themselves to obama if he's an anchor in their district.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have no idea how good or bad DWS was at her gig other than that she was pretty awful on camera when I saw her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlamingLiberal posted:

We are the worst state/party

There ya go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

We are the worst state party

The idea that someone with Patrick Murphy's resume was able to win a state wide primary for a contested senate seat is almost unfathomable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If any state party could somehow have a negative 'bench' of candidates it would be Florida.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

mcmagic posted:

The idea that someone with Patrick Murphy's resume was able to win a state wide primary for a contested senate seat is almost unfathomable.

I loved that Biden confused him with another congressman with the same name when endorsing him.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

2014's problem was the exact opposite. the messaging was coordinated to a hilarious degree, to the point where most campaigns were cookie cutter versions of each other. some dems ran away from obama, which was a good thing. there's no reason for democrats to tie themselves to obama if he's an anchor in their district.

It made some of them look really wishy washy though. "lol I don't remember who I voted for in 2012" is going to make you look like to a moron to both liberals and conservatives.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mcmagic posted:

The idea that his only opposition was Alan Grayson is much more unfathomable, really

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Dean's post DNC career has been pretty despicable but he was at least a competent chair unlike DWS.

What are your criteria for determining the competency of a chair? To avoid this becoming a masochistic exercise, please avoid "absence of" traits (e.g. "Dean was competent because he wasn't forced out over what was revealed in hacked emails").

I'm curious, because I've always struggled with measuring that outside of electoral results... but I struggle to blame the Gerrymander on DWS.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Geoff Peterson posted:

What are your criteria for determining the competency of a chair? To avoid this becoming a masochistic exercise, please avoid "absence of" traits (e.g. "Dean was competent because he wasn't forced out over what was revealed in hacked emails").

I'm curious, because I've always struggled with measuring that outside of electoral results... but I struggle to blame the Gerrymander on DWS.

a dnc chair can and should be measured by the money they raise, the way they invest, the effectiveness of their advocacy for the party, and their ability to competently take on the core logistical functions of the national party. for example: terry mcauliffe took over the democratic party at a very weak moment in its electoral history. the house was gone, the senate was gone (temporarily), and al gore just "lost" to george w. bush. but he totally rebuilt the dnc (literally built a new building) and made investments that yielded electoral success down the line. howard dean built on many of terry mcauliffe's accomplishments when moving the party forward after the 2004 election, including moving the data infrastructure under a unified NGP/VAN and investing in more candidate recruitment. those two chairs have something in common - they were chairs while the party was out of power and worked to make reforms that improved its competitive position. it's more difficult to make reforms when you have the white house, so kaine & dws served more as caretakers and fundraisers.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

What's wrong with his resume? Wasn't he a partner at one of the Big 4 accounting firms?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
murphy is good at raising money and bad at basically everything else, which is an improvement over the typical florida candidate which is bad at everything

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

axeil posted:

What's wrong with his resume? Wasn't he a partner at one of the Big 4 accounting firms?

LOL He was at Deloitte for like 2 years. He has literally no accomplishments whatsoever of any form other than having a really rich father who gave him lots of money and funded his campaigns. He's repulsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

axeil posted:

I'm wondering this as well. From a quick glance, it seems like he was a flunky at his family's business and he played fast and loose with his actual accomplishments. Reading between the lines, it seems like he's that person that we all know from work who exaggerates everything they've done because it makes them feel important, but who's really had a ton of stuff handed to them.

However, he won a House seat from a Republican and got reelected in a light red district. That part at least is exactly the kind of background that I'd expect to see from someone who wins a Senate primary. Is there something about his legislative career that I'm missing?

• Locked thread