Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
I hate seeing these shitheads in a second thread, but I guess their real bread and butter is in non-political comics (and minions, I guess). Regardless, they, and Mike Lester, can go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mr Peterson, no!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

gleebster posted:

Mr Peterson, no!

Wow, such a blast from the past! Can't believe I remember what you're referencing.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's amazing how fast Merculanio has changed Judge Parker. Not just in adding violence but he's also spent 2 days just doing cinematic tricks with no dialogue.

Johnny Walker posted:

Finally, Apartment 3-G brings us an illustration of the creepy little sister-big brother relationship:

Long Neck.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Nice face dong, dongface.

Spider-man keeps on delivering.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Such a good strip. Probably my favourite posted here that's currently running.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Eat my queer rear end, peraro.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPE3p4kLgL8

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Wikipedia may be misleading me, but according to them, BOB LAYTON stopped doing Iron Man comics in the early 2000's. That's not including like a one-off special thing he did in '08.

Still way more recent than I expected Sluggo, a child, to be reading.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
How do we feel about Ballard Street? Am I the only one missing it?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane
Complaining about aesthetics in 9CL, particularly in a 9CL with such an exquisite Brooke Maw(TM) is a bit silly, but man, why would you go with that font to try and suggest Cantonese? I'm impressed someone found a crappier solution than *TRANSLATED FROM CANTONESE, but I guess that's just the Brooke Difference (TM).

Serious Cephalopod posted:

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 8, 1951)

Nancy (September 22, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 5, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 20, 1923)

Barney Google (June 21, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 20, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 17, 1937)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Gotta say, not the hugest fan of the depiction of the Chinese soldier in The Phantom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Daduzi posted:

Gotta say, not the hugest fan of the depiction of the Chinese soldier in The Phantom

It makes me think of one of Mako's appearances on M*A*S*H every time, which isn't a bad thing, but I do see what you mean.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

What? A calm and rational conversation? But the Luanntators were all banking on you finally breaking up with him because you're an introvert or something!

quote:

She’s resilient. Brad doesn’t need to call 911 and commit her to the hospital. But the two of them need to do something about Jonah.

quote:

Somehow I thought Derek would come driving by with a “Hey Babe, hop in” and that would be the (merciful) end of the (hot) Toni Daytona (lame) Brad Degroot story line. Oh well, one can only hope.

quote:

Brad – “TONI! Are You Calling Off the Wedding?!!?”
Toni – "Why NO, Sweetie! Surely YOU Didn’t Expect to Get Off that EASY did You, Pumpkin? I just wanted to SCARE You and Various Fans of This Strip AND to take THIS Opportunity to tell YOU what I EXPECT from OUR Marriage!
A) “YOU No Longer SPEAK, Except when I Tell You and ONLY in Monosyllabic Responses that ALWAYS End in Yes Ma’am!”
B) “YOU Give Up ALL of Your Hobbies, ALL of Them! Model Kits, Baseball Cards, Girly Magazines, Your Crappy Car that You Loved so Much, ANYTHING that YOU once Enjoyed, GONE! Because THAT’S what ‘Grooms to Be’ Do!”
C) “If You So Much as Give a Sideways Glance at ANOTHER Woman, You’re Dead! You May Look at Your Mother and Sister But Only with My Permission and at 2 second intervals, Got It?”
Brad – “Yes Ma’am!”
Toni – “Good! Now, Put This Ring in Your Nose, So that I May More Easily Lead YOU around. That’s It. Oh I Am Going to Be So…..,Oops, I MEANT WE Are going to be So Happy to Together! NOW, Let’s Go to My Place and Make Love, On MY Command, Off Strip, After which I’ll Teach You How to FETCH.”

quote:

I have been thinking about this a fair amount since yesterday. So many of us here in the comments have been berating Brad about his “big, gradiose, over-the-top” wedding plans for the past two weeks of this arc. But, looking back on it…

The reality seems to be that IMO Brad was not being pushy about things, as he was simply trying to have he and Toni both be able to make decisions together. Virtually everything he has said during this arc has been about making decisions. To me, that seems like Brad is working pretty drat hard to be as inclusive as he can about he and Toni working as a TEAM to figure out what they are doing for their wedding.

Now, sure, Brad may have pre-conceived ideas of what a marriage ceremony is like, and sure, Toni may have sort of let Brad just “run with it” so-to-speak from earlier talks. But, and here I think is the important thing…. Toni and Brad have both been somewhat nebulous about the plans, they both have put forth ideas, but no firm decisions were ever made.

So, I really cannot fault Brad in this arc. He has been trying pretty drat hard. It is not Toni’s fault either… she has had a very rough day prior to meeting Brad. Imagine how much more successfully this could have gone if Toni had not had to rush from work, did not have the Jonah confrontation, did not have Shannon wailing about swimming, etc.

Making decisions about a rapidly approaching wedding is important. And, now hopefully they will actually both communicate successfully (ie talking AND listening) with each other and make a mutually compromising and yet happy wedding plan for both of them.

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Eat Serious Cephalopod's queer rear end, peraro.

He's quite a good artist. He can write good jokes. It's a great presentation. I even like the little hidden whatsits.

If only he'd use his powers for good instead of being a colossal piece of poo poo.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Same.

Didn't he used to be bland and inoffensive? How did he manage bland and offensive?

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

betamax hipster posted:

Same.

Didn't he used to be bland and inoffensive? How did he manage bland and offensive?

Nah, he's usually bland and inoffensive, but likes to spice things up every once in a while, by saying something supremely screwed up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (September 3, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 7-8, 1929)

Thimble Theater (March 20, 1930)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think the person who can't stop themselves form capitalizing every other word in the Luanne comments has quite a few issues with marriage and/or women.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^:argh:

Some Nutbar posted:

Brad – “TONI! Are You Calling Off the Wedding?!!?”
Toni – "Why NO, Sweetie! Surely YOU Didn’t Expect to Get Off that EASY did You, Pumpkin? I just wanted to SCARE You and Various Fans of This Strip AND to take THIS Opportunity to tell YOU what I EXPECT from OUR Marriage!
A) “YOU No Longer SPEAK, Except when I Tell You and ONLY in Monosyllabic Responses that ALWAYS End in Yes Ma’am!”
B) “YOU Give Up ALL of Your Hobbies, ALL of Them! Model Kits, Baseball Cards, Girly Magazines, Your Crappy Car that You Loved so Much, ANYTHING that YOU once Enjoyed, GONE! Because THAT’S what ‘Grooms to Be’ Do!”
C) “If You So Much as Give a Sideways Glance at ANOTHER Woman, You’re Dead! You May Look at Your Mother and Sister But Only with My Permission and at 2 second intervals, Got It?”
Brad – “Yes Ma’am!”
Toni – “Good! Now, Put This Ring in Your Nose, So that I May More Easily Lead YOU around. That’s It. Oh I Am Going to Be So…..,Oops, I MEANT WE Are going to be So Happy to Together! NOW, Let’s Go to My Place and Make Love, On MY Command, Off Strip, After which I’ll Teach You How to FETCH.”

I get the impression this person has some issues with women.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

"As we are in the brotherhood of superheroes, you can call me Scott, my brother!"
"Cool story, Dumbshit, you can call me Spider-Man."

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Venetus posted:

September 18, 1946 was a Wednesday. :colbert:
You have to adjust for GMT.

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Nice face dong, dongface.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"It's a special pharmacy with personal service. Tony, the...clerk, stands on the corner. You give him your money and...uh...tell him your...prescription, and then he signals to the...uh...pharmacist, and you drive over and get your medicine from him."

Rex Morgan MD

I guess you can go to the other wing of your mansion and sit on a pile of money and think about how hard you have it.

Secret Agent X-9

"Mutt, am I? Nix! I'll 23-skidoo!"

Apartment 3-G

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I think Mr Random Capitals is probably still hurting after getting the pig blood dumped on him at the prom, and reads Luann on breaks from making lady skin suits.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

While I appreciate Batuiks efforts to include non-cancer based life destroying illnesses, I don't think you can self-diagnose CTE by looking at a photo album and reminiscing about college football.

And I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you can't use Federal criminal law as a basis to seek damages in civil court.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

Wikipedia may be misleading me, but according to them, BOB LAYTON stopped doing Iron Man comics in the early 2000's. That's not including like a one-off special thing he did in '08.

Still way more recent than I expected Sluggo, a child, to be reading.

It looks like his earliest Iron Man work was in 1976 though, and it looks like most of his Iron Man stuff is from 1978-1981. It could be one of those.

BigDave posted:

And I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you can't use Federal criminal law as a basis to seek damages in civil court.

At least that's a joke, which is more than I can say for most of Batiuk's work.

Also, gently caress off Piraro.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Thank you for posting these; I really enjoy Chief Dharma. Are these translated versions available somewhere outside of SA?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

BigDave posted:

While I appreciate Batuiks efforts to include non-cancer based life destroying illnesses, I don't think you can self-diagnose CTE by looking at a photo album and reminiscing about college football.

I'm willing to let it slide if it means seeing Crankshaft get sent to Gitmo and waterboarded.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BigDave posted:

I knew they shouldn't have put Batuik in charge of Judge Parker and Rex Morgan! :argh:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Really hope the payoff to this is Bull going all Chris Benoit on the rest of the cast and ending this lovely strip forever.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Well you're just on a roll, aren't you Dannyboy. I hope it continues right off a cliff. In conclusion,

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

It looks like his earliest Iron Man work was in 1976 though, and it looks like most of his Iron Man stuff is from 1978-1981. It could be one of those.

It's just Gilchrist being "things were better in the past" again. Remember that strip with Nancy and Sluggo talking about how awesome "their" music was and not naming a single artist from less than 30 years ago?

(No disrespect to Bob Layton, who is a great writer and artist and deserves better than appearing in a Gilchrist strip.)

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
He can eat my cis-straight rear end too.

What a dick.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

BigglesSWE posted:

How do we feel about Ballard Street? Am I the only one missing it?

Ballard Street always seemed to hit a perfect balance of weirdness and wonder. I'm definitely missing it too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Just Dan Again posted:

Ballard Street always seemed to hit a perfect balance of weirdness and wonder. I'm definitely missing it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

gleebster posted:

Mr Peterson, no!

Today I was sent overseas to fight the Hun.

It was ok.

• Locked thread