Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Unknown Quantity posted:

The only major problem part of controllers I feel are the ones that crap out numerical to-hit penalties and multi-target hard control. Which...is mostly limited to Wizard and Psion. Invoker I think has a burst Stun as a L1 daily but it dazes them, and while you can mitigate that, they tend to have to take a negative to stun something.

Hunters can apply -6 to hits in a burst if built "correctly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Klungar posted:

Hunters can apply -6 to hits in a burst if built "correctly".

Why the scare quotes?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

thespaceinvader posted:

Why the scare quotes?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love drat Bugs, but the current discussion seems to be suggesting that huge penalties to hit is a non-positive thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Klungar posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love drat Bugs, but the current discussion seems to be suggesting that huge penalties to hit is a non-positive thing.

It's a positive thing from a "powerful character" point of view, but a negative thing from a "keeps anything interesting from happening" point of view.

I don't really want a character around who prevents the monsters from doing anything cool - that's like half the fun of the game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Someone I know is thinking about starting up a 4e game but he is concerned he tends to have a fairly mixed group show up on the day. There are probably 4 people who are there 100% of the time and 3 people who have much more mixed attendance levels.

Do you guys have any advice for managing party composition and encounter scaling?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"Oh hey, look who stopped solid snaking in a box the last month and a half. Welcome back <PC>."
-Actual conversation from one of my games

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Someone I know is thinking about starting up a 4e game but he is concerned he tends to have a fairly mixed group show up on the day. There are probably 4 people who are there 100% of the time and 3 people who have much more mixed attendance levels.

Do you guys have any advice for managing party composition and encounter scaling?

Encounter scaling is super easy in 4e unless you're involving solos. So you're good there. Add or subtract one dude for each extra or missing player.

As for how to handle it... We ignore it. They're just not contributing this session.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

4e can kind of slow down if you don't have enough damage in the party, so you may want to encourage the group to do at least a halfway decent job of distributing the roles. If you have 2 defenders in the 100% crew and your only strikers are the flakes, then things may go kind of slowly.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
4e is an odd beast in that it generally requires all three of Leader, Striker and Defender to make encounters last the right length of time. You can sort of make up for a missing Defender with a tanky Striker with off-defender capabilities (Avenger, Ranger), or (more reliably) replace a Striker with a few sufficiently punchy Defenders (Non-brawler Fighters, Swordmages, Paladins). A Leader can be replaced-ish by a steady supply of items, but it's a band-aid fix. Controllers...nobody particularly misses the Controller unless they consistently make big plays that change the tide.

EDIT: Honestly, a party can consist solely of Defender, Leader and Striker for a 3-person gig. For four, you definitely want either two Defenders or two Strikers. Two Leaders can work but they need to be able to add extra attacks or damage and synergize with the rest of the party.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 31, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

4e can kind of slow down if you don't have enough damage in the party, so you may want to encourage the group to do at least a halfway decent job of distributing the roles. If you have 2 defenders in the 100% crew and your only strikers are the flakes, then things may go kind of slowly.

Yeah this is what I meant by party design sorry - dealing with an AFK guy in universe is easy.

I was thinking you're best off making the 100% crew the leader defender and two strikers (Due to the loss of a player in my game the core 4 has only one striker which can be very sad), and then letting the flakes play whatever but giving them a strong guiding hand towards striker things, or at least classes like the Bezerker and Brawler Fighter than can play off the primary defender or Pyromancers or Evokers that are doing pseudo striker things.

Edit: So a 4+3 party would look like

Core:

Defender
Leader
Striker
Striker

Flakes:

Striker
Striker / Bezerker / 2nd Defender
Striker / Controller

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
What if controllers worked something like the GW2 defiance bar or FF13's stagger mechanic where instead of getting their disabling stuff right off the bat, they could build up to a momentary disable+some sort of nasty debuff? Make them work for it and let the enemy try to mitigate it by attempting to avoid the controller long enough for the build-up to fade.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

What if controllers worked something like the GW2 defiance bar or FF13's stagger mechanic where instead of getting their disabling stuff right off the bat, they could build up to a momentary disable+some sort of nasty debuff? Make them work for it and let the enemy try to mitigate it by attempting to avoid the controller long enough for the build-up to fade.

The big advantage to having optimized controllers is to shut down something(s) immediately while the team prioritizes other threats; delay their control and you might as well have another striker (if they dead, they controlled).

GW2 break bars aren't quite the same; they're a mechanic that lets control effects still do something against boss-type enemies that're otherwise not affected by things like dazes/stuns/fear/etc. Pretty much they either serve to allow the team to interrupt powerful moves or expose the enemy to more damage. In my mind the 4e analog would be something like letting the boss ignore status effects applied from powers at the cost of taking additional damage from the attack.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Additional optimized strikers can make up for almost anything but a leader, I find.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Generic Octopus posted:

The big advantage to having optimized controllers is to shut down something(s) immediately while the team prioritizes other threats; delay their control and you might as well have another striker (if they dead, they controlled).

GW2 break bars aren't quite the same; they're a mechanic that lets control effects still do something against boss-type enemies that're otherwise not affected by things like dazes/stuns/fear/etc. Pretty much they either serve to allow the team to interrupt powerful moves or expose the enemy to more damage. In my mind the 4e analog would be something like letting the boss ignore status effects applied from powers at the cost of taking additional damage from the attack.

Well, that gets into the problem that 4E as a system heavily favors alpha strikes way too much. Solving that problem in a way that doesn't make the game a slog is a lot more difficult though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I only have some for setting up the plot: treat the four steadies as the core cast and the flakes as supporting characters. Think of it as a TV show, the core cast shows up every episode and you can expect their arcs to continue, the supporting cast may skip episodes here and there or just show up once or twice per season (but maybe those episodes are focused all on them).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, what's a good way to represent a Saturday Morning type villain who the party isn't ready to fight juuuust yet?
I don't want them to be useless against this guy, but I don't want him to be directly fighting them either, rather, I'd like them to be trying to foil his plans, and capable of taking his minions, while he fucks around and then makes a tactical retreat.

Do I just flat out tell the party he's too high levelled to directly fight right now? Probably, but are there any interesting mechanics to enforce it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't put him directly in harm's way. Trap the PCs in his DUNGEON OF DOOOOOOM and have him mock them remotely.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This has been replied to already but this bears mentioning.

4e basically balances around one PC = one monster per encounter as a basis, assuming everything is appropriately leveled. This holds true with as few as 4 PCs and as many as 6 but if you go above or below that guideline things get a little worrysome. It's not hard to balance on the fly - just add or subtract monsters as appropriate depending on the the encounter size.

What can make this more complicated is actually on the player side of the board. Multiple leaders or defenders can radically change the way a DM is forced to design an encounter, at least if she wants it to be any fun; action economy is king here, and having more actions on the PC side of the board, especially when those actions include total board lockdown on the menu. I would say push the part-timers toward classes that are either strikers or which are fun but fill no concrete role (Warlock, for example, or Monk).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mendrian posted:

This has been replied to already but this bears mentioning.

4e basically balances around one PC = one monster per encounter as a basis, assuming everything is appropriately leveled. This holds true with as few as 4 PCs and as many as 6 but if you go above or below that guideline things get a little worrysome. It's not hard to balance on the fly - just add or subtract monsters as appropriate depending on the the encounter size.

What can make this more complicated is actually on the player side of the board. Multiple leaders or defenders can radically change the way a DM is forced to design an encounter, at least if she wants it to be any fun; action economy is king here, and having more actions on the PC side of the board, especially when those actions include total board lockdown on the menu. I would say push the part-timers toward classes that are either strikers or which are fun but fill no concrete role (Warlock, for example, or Monk).

Meanwhile if you have more than six characters, and let's say a majority of those characters are out of position for whatever reason, then someone's about to get dogpiled with monsters.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Another element is that 4e's math relies to a certain extent on teamwork and allies giving each other extra attacks and buffs and heals- one on one the monsters are on average a little more resilient in terms of how many hits they can take, but it's in the synergy that the PCs have the advantage. In a theoretical solo combat (which isn't ideal in many RPGs, but sometimes a story can lead in that direction) a PC may have to really nova.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Meanwhile if you have more than six characters, and let's say a majority of those characters are out of position for whatever reason, then someone's about to get dogpiled with monsters.

Yes, also this. I find large groups work best with multiple engagements occurring across at least two fronts or else you end up with one guy getting hit seven times, which is not really intended balance.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Hey, what's a good way to represent a Saturday Morning type villain who the party isn't ready to fight juuuust yet?
I don't want them to be useless against this guy, but I don't want him to be directly fighting them either, rather, I'd like them to be trying to foil his plans, and capable of taking his minions, while he fucks around and then makes a tactical retreat.

Do I just flat out tell the party he's too high levelled to directly fight right now? Probably, but are there any interesting mechanics to enforce it?

I'd give him a lot of defensive immediates and auras and stances and such that emphasize just how superior he is. Cutting arrows out of the air. Defensive stance with huge damage reductions so that they only ever manage to scratch him. No-sells status effects. Etc. After a round or two of this, something happens and he leaves. The bomb goes off and he jumps through the hole and leaves you for his minions to finish off. Sub-boss arrives and does the "You can go, boss, I got this" thing. Something like that.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Other stuff ive seen work is have him impose big environmental effects, particularly if you can contrive an excuse for them to be fighting alongside allies.

For example if he pops 20 allied minions a turn, converts all terrain to difficult and throws a big rock at PCs from range he feels dangerous while not actually doing a ton.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Do you suffer sleepless nights from tearing that newbie a new rear end in a top hat? :allears:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

isndl posted:

Do you suffer sleepless nights from tearing that newbie a new rear end in a top hat? :allears:

The first or the second time?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I like the environmental hazards, and will no doubt use it when I run the first part of Modron March.

Khizan posted:

I'd give him a lot of defensive immediates and auras and stances and such that emphasize just how superior he is. Cutting arrows out of the air. Defensive stance with huge damage reductions so that they only ever manage to scratch him. No-sells status effects. Etc. After a round or two of this, something happens and he leaves. The bomb goes off and he jumps through the hole and leaves you for his minions to finish off. Sub-boss arrives and does the "You can go, boss, I got this" thing. Something like that.

This works perfectly with what I need, since I wanted him to have an elite zombie that used to be a member of the Wemic's (now dead) pack. Now just to design the encounter proper.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Probably one for the CharOp thread, but if I was making a Ranger/Bard hybrid, what's a reliable way of generating RBAs without using your standard to make good use of powers like Lesser dimensional step?

Rebounding bow is an obvious standout.

Basic idea is ranged rangers are kind boring to play, so spam out the twin strikes with standards but have a fun selection of bard powers to hoover up all your interrupts with.

If I can reliably generate some RBAs I can even throw Skald's aura on it.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 6, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Probably one for the CharOp thread, but if I was making a Ranger/Bard hybrid, what's a reliable way of generating RBAs without using your standard to make good use of powers like Lesser dimensional step?

A friend who's playing a Warlord.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Really Pants posted:

A friend who's playing a Warlord.

Yeah, I'm one of the flakes in the earlier core/flakes discussion so I was trying to be self sufficient but this is an obvious winner.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Spitting Cobra Stance is a level 5 ranger daily that lets you make an RBA against any enemy within 5 that moves closer to you, so you can aggressively zone people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Rebounding bow is an obvious standout.

Basic idea is ranged rangers are kind boring to play, so spam out the twin strikes with standards but have a fun selection of bard powers to hoover up all your interrupts with.

If I can reliably generate some RBAs I can even throw Skald's aura on it.

If you post in CharOp I'll tell you that Ranger|Bard is a pretty awful hybrid so

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

thespaceinvader posted:

If you post in CharOp I'll tell you that Ranger|Bard is a pretty awful hybrid so

Yeah. Just make a Prescient Bard. If you have to poach from another archery class, grab Seeker stuff. The class itself is garbage, but the free at-will and some of the powers might be worth the power-swap feat, since they're Wis-based Ranged Weapon powers and you'll be CHA/WIS anyway.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If all you want to do is Twin Strike with a Bard, just go Half-Elf Bard and poach Twin Strike.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

It is kind of strange, that despite how bad the Ranger|Bard Hybrid is, the Barbarian|Bard Hybrid is deceptively good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Madmarker posted:

It is kind of strange, that despite how bad the Ranger|Bard Hybrid is, the Barbarian|Bard Hybrid is deceptively good.

Because Barbs have a CHA secondary sub-leader build so yeah.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Yeah. Just make a Prescient Bard. If you have to poach from another archery class, grab Seeker stuff. The class itself is garbage, but the free at-will and some of the powers might be worth the power-swap feat, since they're Wis-based Ranged Weapon powers and you'll be CHA/WIS anyway.

Pretty much this. Prescient isn't the best Bard build but it's still a Bard.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Madmarker posted:

What would you do for stats on the Barbarian|Bard Hybrid? I'd imagine it would play like a Skald and you go for non-attack based bard powers?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yukari posted:

What would you do for stats on the Barbarian|Bard Hybrid? I'd imagine it would play like a Skald and you go for non-attack based bard powers?

STR|CHA probably, though your defences suffer mightily.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

What's wrong with it? On paper it looks okay - you're basically a Ranger with a bunch of immediate interrupts from bard. If I could crack the RBA problem you don't even really need Charisma.

A melee ranger | cleric hybrid looks a lot better but no divine classes makes it a lot harder

Barbarian Bard looks pretty good, I presume you use the Barbarian armored agility as your hybrid talent.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What's wrong with it? On paper it looks okay - you're basically a Ranger with a bunch of immediate interrupts from bard. If I could crack the RBA problem you don't even really need Charisma.

Ranger already has immediates if you want them. The build is a weaker Ranger with no real gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

One idea that I had while thinking about bard/Barbarian was the idea of a melee bard/Warlock abusing eldritch strike. You can take skald training to get a skald aura and then proc it + curse with eldritch strike.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What RBA problem?