Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RabidWeasel posted:

I got this game recently and have the general impression that buffs and debuffs (except blight and stun) aren't very good, am I missing something or do they become more useful later on?

Also barbaric yawp is rediculous and I see no reason why I would ever not run a hellion

Before late game debuff strategies, debuffs/buffs are super useful for cracking protection and evasion. Anything that adds prot can also be good early game, since it neuters low-damage hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Highwang posted:

I honestly wish the Religious/Atheist trait was something you could manipulate. Like, maybe have God-Fearing or Mediator bring about the religious trait and Faithless/Witness make some people the opposite.
I know they talked about doing this for a little bit, but I guess they dropped it because they thought it'd be confusing?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Ragnar34 posted:

My dream patch at this point is one where they allow the abomination to pair with religious characters. I just want to play him more, man. How about the god-people take more stress damage from him? Then at least I could level him more easily, and maybe jester--vestal--abom--xxxx would be a decent party if you're not doing anything too hard.

The suggestion of removing the party restrictions on the Abomination and replacing it with a stress penalty is excellent. Stress is a mechanic that's already woven into the lore of the game, and we can all agree the super religious Vestal would freak out if she watched the unholy Abomination enter his transformed state. That's why you've equipped her with stress-reducing items like the Book of Holiness and Sacred Scroll. Holy relics help her remain calm and focused.

Plus, it would be an opportunity to add new flavor text between the Vestal and Abomination. For example, the Vestal might yell at the Abomination, and would occasionally inflict stress damage on him, similar to when a hero becomes Abusive. Or maybe the Vestal could yell at other heroes for allowing the Abomination into their party, and there could be some back-and-forth dialog. Anything that promotes new and interesting hero interactions is a good thing.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 22, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Man, nothing quite beats killing a boss with a sub-optimal party. Arbalest, (complete rookie) houndmaster, man-at-arms and helion vs the 8-pounder.

That was a terrifying dps-race.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

double nine posted:

Man, nothing quite beats killing a boss with a sub-optimal party. Arbalest, (complete rookie) houndmaster, man-at-arms and helion vs the 8-pounder.

That was a terrifying dps-race.

I just took the hag with graverobber - jester - bounty hunter - leper because they were the only lvl 2/1s I had :feelsgood:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tias posted:

I just took the hag with graverobber - jester - bounty hunter - leper because they were the only lvl 2/1s I had :feelsgood:

same reason. I mean I could level/respec up the rookies first but :effort:

Got bloody lucky that the first fight I had was against the collector though - he dropped junia's head which helped with healing. Because I also forgot to give them curios like a :butt:.

Tias
May 25, 2008

You too? :D I also forget trinkets on em all. I actually have a sticker on my screen saying "remember trinkets" because it's happened so often :eng99:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

At this point I've forgotten everything at some point. Food, torches, shovels, armor, skills. The lot.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

double nine posted:

At this point I've forgotten everything at some point. Food, torches, shovels, armor, skills. The lot.

That's okay, it happens. I purposefully trained up an Arbalest, and made sure her Rallying Flare was ranked up to max, in order to counter Wilbur. Naturally, I forgot to equip Rallying Flare during the Wilbur/Swine King boss fight. :downs: Yep, smooth move, I wouldn't recommend trying that. Almost had my first party wipe, which is nearly a death sentence in NG+.

Speaking of which, pretty soon I'll be venturing into Champion dungeons. I can't imagine I'll escape without a few unexpected fatalities, especially since there's such a limited amount of time, and you really can't afford to min/max your level 5/6 heroes. One thing is for sure, I'm staying the hell out of the Champion Cove dungeons. That place is terrifying without upgrades.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 23, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My first attempt at a 3 GR lunge spam setup (all level 0s) ran into the collector and killed him before he could summon :iia:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jedah posted:

That's okay, it happens. I purposefully trained up an Arbalest, and made sure her Rallying Flare was ranked up to max, in order to counter Wilbur. Naturally, I forgot to equip Rallying Flare during the Wilbur/Swine King boss fight. :downs: Yep, smooth move, I wouldn't recommend trying that. Almost had my first party wipe, which is nearly a death sentence in NG+.

Speaking of which, pretty soon I'll be venturing into Champion dungeons. I can't imagine I'll escape without a few unexpected fatalities, especially since there's such a limited amount of time, and you really can't afford to min/max your level 5/6 heroes. One thing is for sure, I'm staying the hell out of the Champion Cove dungeons. That place is terrifying without upgrades.

If you have them available, I heavily recommend a Man At Arms/ Houndmaster / Houndmaster/ Hellion setup for the Cove.

stack dodge trinkets on the houndmasters, raw damage(and accuracy) on the Hellion, speed on the MAA.

The MAA casts bolster for speed and dodge. HM 1 guards MAA, HM2 guards Hellion. Hellion wrecks stuff.
Hellion needs to hit all ranks, so Wicked Hack(slice?), Iron Swan, If it Bleeds and Adrenaline Rush(to get out of Death's Door)
front HM has Guard, Lick Wounds, Blackjack and Rush.
back HM has Guard, Lick Wounds, Howl and Rush.

At champion level stats and the proper trinkets, you can reach outrageous levels of dodge within the first turn. In the second you'll likely cap the dodge chance, meaning that enemies have a 10% chance to hit, and believe me, that goes a long way, long enough that you can heal with food.

This works especially well in the Cove because there's no nasty AoE's to ignore your guard. This also sort of works in the Weald, but there's a better broken combination for that.
Don't use this in the Ruins and the Warrens because Bone Generals and Swinetaurs have very strong AoE's that will ruin everything.
This is slow as hell, but very reliable. I can count in one hand the amount of times any unit is hit in a long dungeon.
<linking because image is way too big>
http://oi63.tinypic.com/10ye8mr.jpg

Oh, and this is probably a bad comp for tackling Cove bosses. Too slow overall.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

If I've thrown away a Journal Entry because my inventory was full, is it gone forever or might it show up somewhere else?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Umbra Dubium posted:

If I've thrown away a Journal Entry because my inventory was full, is it gone forever or might it show up somewhere else?

I must have gotten only two of those in 70 hours of play, and gently caress if I'm going to drop loot to read a story I can just look up online.

If they work like the head trinkets, then I believe they won't show up again.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is the newbie guide in the OP still applicable for the current version of the game mainly? I know it went through a lot of changes during early access.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Halser posted:

If they work like the head trinkets, then I believe they won't show up again.

the head trinkets show up again if you lose one, or at least they used to

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Kly posted:

the head trinkets show up again if you lose one, or at least they used to

i'll go with you in that one, I never lost a head in any of my saves.

Chin Strap posted:

Is the newbie guide in the OP still applicable for the current version of the game mainly? I know it went through a lot of changes during early access.

from a quick glance, it seems like it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Does the Siren aim for low resistance characters? I havea couple of level-appropriate Antiquarians, I wouldn't mind if she charmed her instead of one of my big sticks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Does the Siren aim for low resistance characters? I havea couple of level-appropriate Antiquarians, I wouldn't mind if she charmed her instead of one of my big sticks.

Pretty sure it's random.

e: Her charm does indeed target the lowest debuff resistance characters.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 28, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

I know I complained about going from apprentice to veteran, but going from veteran to champion is completely wiping me out :(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? My own idea is that, although I have more than a quarter of my roster on lvl 5 or 6, I cannot put together the combos I want due to stress or treatment..

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Tias posted:

I know I complained about going from apprentice to veteran, but going from veteran to champion is completely wiping me out :(

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? My own idea is that, although I have more than a quarter of my roster on lvl 5 or 6, I cannot put together the combos I want due to stress or treatment..

Honestly, I upgraded my coach to spit out mid level heroes and I just grab the random teams, throw them into no light missions and run before everyone dies. I use that money to slowly work off stress, bad quirks and other ailments and just toss out the jobbers. It takes time, but it gives me better higher level characters.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Some notes on my own experiences with the transition from veteran to champion:

1) Having full blacksmith and guild upgrades makes a big difference. When I had Champion heroes with only level 4 things unlocked, I tried to only run short skirmish missions (on the theory that 'complete all room battles' could sometimes be done with less combat than 'explore 9/10 rooms'). Focus on the easier areas, like the Ruins or Warrens, maybe (depending on hero classes/quirks).

2) Trinket selection: Champion is where +accuracy trinkets start pulling their weight, due to the frequency of high-dodge enemies. My favorite is the Sun Ring, since you'll likely want to keep the torch up anyway. (It doesn't work for ambushes, but the 'no nighttime ambush' camping skills are also recommended). Getting a very high speed can help if it means disabling an enemy before they act, and otherwise damage is good.

3) Healing: For Apprentice/Veteran you can get by without a dedicated healer as long as you can kill enemies quickly and efficiently (using campfires to refresh as needed). For medium or long Champion dungeons it's far less likely that you'll be able to avoid unsustainable attrition through pure damage. Note that the healing should be done in the mop-up rounds, in the initial rounds the healer should be attacking or stunning (the latter mostly an option if you've specced out with +stun% trinkets).

My general advice would be to be as prepared as possible. If you can't put the team you want together due to stress/treatment, run a lower-level dungeon with the rest of your roster so that team's ready next week (you'll need a big pile of gold and heirlooms for upgrades in any case).

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 29, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

This is good stuff, thanks!

I guess I did the direct opposite of grinding through jobbers, because my first campaign tanked after having the hamlet invaded by that brigand lord and having no lvl 6 heroes to stop him with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FreeKillB posted:

2) Trinket selection: Champion is where +accuracy trinkets start pulling their weight, due to the frequency of high-dodge enemies. My favorite is the Sun Ring, since you'll likely want to keep the torch up anyway. (It doesn't work for ambushes, but the 'no nighttime ambush' camping skills are also recommended). Getting a very high speed can help if it means disabling an enemy before they act, and otherwise damage is good.

It's not just about high dodge enemies, baseline dodge for champion monsters is higher relative to apprentice/veteran. A rookie off the wagon has a higher chance to hit 0 dodge apprentice monsters than a fully-upgraded level 5 hero has to hit the champion equivalents of the same monsters--and you've spent most of the game with an upgrade advantage relative to this baseline, so if you're not fully maxed out heading into champion dungeons you can expect your accuracy to just be completely hosed. You need about +10 acc on everybody to bring your chance to hit back up around where it was in veteran dungeons before the jump to champion.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I would also advise avoiding the Weald where possible when you're just starting out at Champion levels, it's one of the most punishing areas if you're undergeared. There's a lot of high dodge enemies and then poo poo like the fungal giants who will just erase a hero if you're not prepared for them

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

FreeKillB posted:

If you can't put the team you want together due to stress/treatment, run a lower-level dungeon with the rest of your roster so that team's ready next week (you'll need a big pile of gold and heirlooms for upgrades in any case).
All of this is excellent advice, but this was my favorite suggestion. Those low level Antiquarian runs will help line your pockets. Her inventory perk allows her to bring larger stacks of items, and she naturally finds valuable items much more frequently than any other class. After enough dedicated money runs, I was able to afford level 5 weapons and armor on multiple heroes.

I'd suggest going for 5/5 weapon+armor upgrades at the Blacksmith and level 5 skills at the Guild before investing tons of money into removing negative quirks. Only remove the truly terrible quirks, like Kleptomaniac (prone to stealing items).

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 29, 2016

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
After losing two heroes on darkest dungeon 1 (I hate that stupid retreat penalty) I decided I needed to level up some guys from the wagon. And I was a bit short on cash, so I went in dark.

Now I have a new favorite party: GR (back) Highwayman Houndmaster Jester. It's very satisfying when finale crits, but even when it doesn't it usually wipes a dude out.

Cicadalek posted:

I would also advise avoiding the Weald where possible when you're just starting out at Champion levels, it's one of the most punishing areas if you're undergeared. There's a lot of high dodge enemies and then poo poo like the fungal giants who will just erase a hero if you're not prepared for them

This is so true, the Bandit 16 pounder took me way too many tries mostly because of Weald bullshit. Although a few of those tries I had to give up because I was an idiot and forgot to bring torchers or whatever.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mort posted:

This is so true, the Bandit 16 pounder took me way too many tries mostly because of Weald bullshit. Although a few of those tries I had to give up because I was an idiot and forgot to bring torchers or whatever.
That cannon basically fires a party-sized Treebranch Smackdown. Always kill or stun the Matchman, or prepare for some video-game-induced PTSD.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Champion dungeons is where you call the game on its bullshit and just try to bullshit it back.

In my mind, this means stalling to full health and stress on every fight that allows it.

Vestal / Jester / Houndmaster / Hellion is my go-to "gently caress this noise" build.

Whenever you have two enemies in the front that can only target the front two rows(or are harmless like bone defenders), then keep them alive, use the jester to heal everyone's stress and the HM just guards the Hellion. Get everyone fixed up, kill the enemy, move on.

This feels like the only way to succeed in the Weald. Ruins is a bit more relaxed, you can make do with a more general build(although a Crusader with Rallying Cry is still a good idea). Cove is also a bit of a nightmare and I don't know how to cheese the warrens.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Jedah posted:

That cannon basically fires a party-sized Treebranch Smackdown. Always kill or stun the Matchman, or prepare for some video-game-induced PTSD.

The cannon itself was no problem. My issue was getting the party I wanted for the fight through a champion Weald dungeon.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
The currently running LP got me back into this game, and after being a huge wuss and letting a newbie eat it the first time, I ventured into the Wolves at the Door mission. It was rough, but I went with a turtle team (Vestal, Jester, GR and MAA) that my buddy who had already beaten the dungeon suggested and managed to beat it. The boss fight wasn't too bad, the stress on MAA got up to mid 80's a few times before my Jester could pull it back down, but the Champion Hag fight and dungeon was much worse overall.

I don't know if people need a strategy for the dungeon, but here was my thought process. I would highly recommend putting the heavy boots on the MAA with a ruby crystal and the Bright Tambourine and a Bleed Talisman on the Jester. With so many push abilities, it is nice to have the MAA locked in place at the front with a little more beef. The Jester just becomes a DoT machine with that Talisman and is excellent at taking care of stress. The Vestal was specced for healing, and the GR for murder, specifically killing Human type enemies. The MAA is just there to use his cover move and retribution if he gets a free turn. The boss fight reminded me a lot of hte Prophet fight.

For the more experienced people, if I can beat this map, can I start clearing out The Darkest Dungeon? I've been focused for so long on gearing up for the Wolves that I haven't really put thought into the DD. I'm still clearing out the rest of the champion bosses with only the Weald cleared, so 6 of 8 to go.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 30, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Mort posted:

The cannon itself was no problem. My issue was getting the party I wanted for the fight through a champion Weald dungeon.

Hats off to you if felt the Brigand 16 Pounder was no problem, because I struggled with that boss. It was an endurance battle, since the cannon constantly summons new minions, and your attention is divided between murdering the Matchman, and trying to do damage to the huge health pool of the boss. Plus, you can't really debuff the cannon, the resistances are too high. As far as Champion bosses go, I still think this one is tough. But, at least the Fuseman's Matchstick was a nice reward for finishing the quest line.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Cannon is the absolute easiest boss in the game. Just bring a Hellion and puree the Matchman every turn. The fight basically boils down to just having to fight 2 pathetic bandits at a time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I've never gotten a good handle of the Cannon's summoning behaviour. Some rounds it spawned a whole party of bandits & matchmaker, other rounds it only gave me a single matchmaker. Is it dependent on combat length?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

double nine posted:

I've never gotten a good handle of the Cannon's summoning behaviour. Some rounds it spawned a whole party of bandits & matchmaker, other rounds it only gave me a single matchmaker. Is it dependent on combat length?

No, it's just luck. The Cannon is supposed to be an endurance match, waiting for an opportunity to do some real work.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

double nine posted:

It is a roll each time. It always summons a matchman, and has a smaller chance for the other two.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
On the cannon, I don't know if this is still a thing, but I swear that bleed effects didn't take place until after he fired.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A question on low-light runs - does the ++ loot buff mean extra heirlooms, extra cash, or both?

Also do trinkets that do +virtue chance have their effect party-wide or just for the person who wields it?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

A question on low-light runs - does the ++ loot buff mean extra heirlooms, extra cash, or both?

Also do trinkets that do +virtue chance have their effect party-wide or just for the person who wields it?

Both, plus more and better trinkets. Just more of everything.

Just for the wielder.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Jedah posted:

Hats off to you if felt the Brigand 16 Pounder was no problem, because I struggled with that boss. It was an endurance battle, since the cannon constantly summons new minions, and your attention is divided between murdering the Matchman, and trying to do damage to the huge health pool of the boss. Plus, you can't really debuff the cannon, the resistances are too high. As far as Champion bosses go, I still think this one is tough. But, at least the Fuseman's Matchstick was a nice reward for finishing the quest line.

For the most part I felt the Champion bosses were pretty straightforward since they don't get any new gimmicks from earlier tiers, just better stats.

Alabaster White posted:

The Cannon is the absolute easiest boss in the game. Just bring a Hellion and puree the Matchman every turn. The fight basically boils down to just having to fight 2 pathetic bandits at a time.

I don't think it's the easiest, for that I'd say it was the Necromancer and the Sunken Crew. With the cannon I believe you can still get an unlucky roll and miss even if you have enough damage to oneshot the matchman. So you want a lot of redundancy built in to your party. I think I used Vestal-Grave Robber-Bounty Hunter-Hellion.

In contrast I think the Flesh is the hardest boss. It hits really hard and most of its forms have lots of protection. Stacking lots of bleed works but it always felt close. I've never tried just running four houndmasters and spamming the AOE bleed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mort posted:

I've never tried just running four houndmasters and spamming the AOE bleed though.

ive never done four but doing that with even two works really well