Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a puzzler for you, the alt right got its hands on an internal Clinton camp memo on how to engage with BLM activists, and they are losing their minds over it: see if you can guess why

axeil posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Rae Carruth is a legitimate monster.

I love the NFL but I hate the ownership so much.

Honestly, I don't see much difference between not standing for the pledge of allegiance and hiring a hitman to murder your pregnant girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Most left wing Christians I know keep a gun and a Bible by their bedstand for the same reason: they hope they never have to use it but it's there in case of an emergency. Clinton's more active Christianity feels like an appeal to a poisoned brand to me.

Lol at the fact you keep pretending Clinton is acting more religious than Obama did in 2008.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

It's also why I think Mormons are getting a bit more accepted and not viewed as that "weird cult out of Utah" anymore. A few issues not withstanding (LBGTQ in particular stands out), they are very generous, do legitimate mission work, and believe that treating the unfortunate with respect will work out better in the long run than viewing them as scum of the earth.

Having one of them as one of the two people who could also potentially make it into the Oval Office also helps.

The mormon church has spent decades running a PR campaign to present themselves as good ol' fashioned Leave It To Beaver style apple pie Americans instead of the sometimes violent weirdo desert cult image they had for the first 100 years of their existence. The former is a lot creepier than the latter.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

zoux posted:

Here's a puzzler for you, the alt right got its hands on an internal Clinton camp memo on how to engage with BLM activists, and they are losing their minds over it: see if you can guess why

Is this really from the campaign? It looks like it's an internal DCCC memo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

Is this really from the campaign? It looks like it's an internal DCCC memo.

whoops that's what I meant.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Complex_Sports/status/771019362966921216

If you don't know who Rae Carruth is, you should google him for a surprise.

I guess that earlier report of Executives being almost universally against him was true.

Have very many active players come out against him?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

JeffersonClay posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/770997978538582017

And there's a negro in the white house and a woman is going to take his place. This is our politics during the extinction spike of white male dominance.

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I feel like things are crazier than they should be in part because everything's so great, and so people are pretty complacent about things. If we were actually in serious economic trouble, Republicans would've actually been serious about the race and not dithered over ten useless establishment candidates while Trump ran rampant.

But we're rich and safe and our fears are all messages screamed at us that we internalize but which don't mesh with our reality, so we take frivolous steps to deal with those fears (like voting for a blustery racist) rather than actually determining what would be a solid course of action.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

I guess that earlier report of Executives being almost universally against him was true.

Have very many active players come out against him?

Well ex-player Rodney Harrison said he wasn't black so :stare:

Someone on twitter said it best

WHITE PEOPLE: Black people need to protest quietly instead of causing disruptions!

*Kaepernick refuses to stand for the pledge*

WHITE PEOPLE: NO NOT LIKE THAT!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

zoux posted:

Honestly, I don't see much difference between not standing for the pledge of allegiance and hiring a hitman to murder your pregnant girlfriend.

The first thing you learn working on a campaign is not to make statements to the media unless you are authorized to do so (and you won't be). The second thing you learn is not to make novel claims about what the candidate's policies are.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

...what about this is supposed to be objectionable? It's basically "interacting as a public facing representative: the document"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The government, ladies and gentlemen.

When I see these kind of stories I can sense the culture of that office, I can feel the palpable culture of misery and failure and unfunded mandates. Its approaching that every government failure is a common misconfiguration and/or elected tampering.

We as a country have to start owning our governments failures instead of pretending the government t is an intern we can blame for our societal failures and then fire like that will solve the problem.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I just suspect Trump is going to get some sort of shrugging approval for his new softball virtual wall and call it a victory for the Art of the Deal. I don't understand why he's doing an all Mexican media press conference though.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is the point about BLM activists not wanting their movement co-opted by the Democratic party accurate? And what should the Democrats do in response?

Also I like that "all lives matter" and "black on black crime" is underlined by "this is the worst response".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

fits my needs posted:

Discussing Atheism and Politics makes me uncomfortable. Whenever I think of atheism now all I can think of is TheAmazingAtheist, hot oil and a a banana.

Thanks for reminding me of this, goddamnit I had legitimately forgotten all about it. gently caress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I just suspect Trump is going to get some sort of shrugging approval for his new softball virtual wall and call it a victory for the Art of the Deal. I don't understand why he's doing an all Mexican media press conference though.

Here's why:

Trump is a loving idiot.

Hope this helps.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

He also knows all about Ka-Zar and Conan and other 70s comics stuff.

Have you read his book? Literally a drops to his knees comes to Jesus section. He had not written about a similar experience regarding Conan.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

zoux posted:

Hahaha at the last bullet point on "do not say" there, "This is the worst response"

I don't know why they're losing their minds over it, but if I had to guess it's that it treats BLM as a legitimate movement and strongly considers engaging with but not co-opting it instead of just a footnote saying to shoot all black people on sight.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BrandorKP posted:

It might matter to understanding all of his foreign policy actions that he is a Christian Realist. It's a big loving deal.

And Obama's foreign policy is easily the most vile part of his presidency. You are making my point here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm hoping Colin is not going to be targeted for big hits in games

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

How loving stupid are you? Obama has bee openly and explicitly Christian on many occasions, and that's not even close to the Clinton campaigns pitch.

The dude is well read and was exposed to all kinds of religious traditions growing up. I don't know for a fact, but if I had to bet, I'd say that he doesn't actually believe but is willing to participate because of the power of the church as a social institution. Particularly the black church in the south side of Chicago.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Is this the same Troy Perry that founded a pro-gay church?

If so that's really going to gross a certain poster out....

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

neoliberal posted:

What's wrong with loving Jesus?

I don't think that dead people can give consent.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ogmius815 posted:

The first thing you learn working on a campaign is not to make statements to the media unless you are authorized to do so (and you won't be). The second thing you learn is not to make novel claims about what the candidate's policies are.

Both true, but they don't care. It's a nice excuse to claim that they're just angrying up the negroes to wipe out the white man and poison Lord Trump-sama's totally not-fascist message.

Cythereal posted:

And I can assure you that, speaking as someone who goes to a left-wing Christian church, it's been going over very well. There's a lot of frustration and even a bit of real anger in left-wing Christian denominations and churches over how Christianity in the public media means Tea Party, White Lives Matter, and Westboro Baptist.

It's part of why Tim Kaine has been going over so well with Hispanics, at least down here in Florida. Here's America's grandpa who speaks Spanish fluently, has done legit missionary work in poor countries, is a practicing Catholic, and draws a distinct line between what he believes religiously and what he believes is best governance. That last bit is very important for a lot of people.

Same here. It's nice to hear the religion actually used as something positive rather than the usual justification for all the worst impulses of Republicans.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

William F Cuckley posted:

The mormon church has spent decades running a PR campaign to present themselves as good ol' fashioned Leave It To Beaver style apple pie Americans instead of the sometimes violent weirdo desert cult image they had for the first 100 years of their existence. The former is a lot creepier than the latter.

In fairness, the impetus for the whole "violent weirdo desert cult thing" was attempted genocide.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Also, this is standard in practically any organization.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Haha that document is Placate101. Listen to them but offer no actual support.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not US news per se, but I will be interested in seeing the reaction from Clinton and Obama now that Brazil's democratically elected president was impeached and removed from office and replaced by a right wing guy mired in corruption scandals who is legally barred from running for office for 8 years.

The whole thing is gross.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Is it because they mis-spelled "leery"?

No, sorry, my brain's not broken enough to read this memo and see anything to get outraged over.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

I'm hoping Colin is not going to be targeted for big hits in games

Don't worry, he'll be safe and sound on the bench.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/771031198000898048

And all of them white.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

William F Cuckley posted:

I went to a beach house where a bunch of Mormon couples got invited and I had to end up sleeping on the couch and put all my stuff in the shared living area because none of them could sleep in the same beds as they weren't married yet so they took up double the rooms despite there being like four or five. It was pretty annoying especially since one of them was an rear end in a top hat that only did the '50s white bread America thing when he was around other Mormons and otherwise was a huge douche that drank and hosed all the time.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this, goddamnit I had legitimately forgotten all about it. gently caress.

Well is the image conjured up not true of anyone that talks about Atheism at length?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Correct me if I'm wrong, but random staffers shouldn't be giving a candidate's support to policy positions made by anybody, should they?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shbobdb posted:

The whole Hillary campaign has been going balls to the walls Jesus freak and it makes me very uncomfortable.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Are they sure it's not that all white Iowa kids look the same

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but random staffers shouldn't be giving a candidate's support to policy positions made by anybody, should they?

They should not and I'd expect similar language in any memo from any campaign about meeting with any interest group
BUT

The reason they highlighted that is it proves that Hillary/Dems are just pandering to the black vote and don't have any interest in actually helping BLM.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Eschers Basement posted:

Is it because they mis-spelled "leery"?

No, sorry, my brain's not broken enough to read this memo and see anything to get outraged over.

All Lives Matter, not just Black Lives, you racist.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, privately. Aside from some lip service or when he was demonstrating that he's not a secret muslim it wasn't "in your face" like it is in the Hillary campaign. "Vote for me because I love Jesus" is not something a democrat should be saying at the national level. It's gross.

He talks about loving Jeso all the goddamn time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

"Democrat Party?" This cant be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Haha that document is Placate101. Listen to them but offer no actual support.

It's just saying low level staff members shouldn't promise specific policy movement, which is a good thing because low level staffers don't control that kind of thing and it would be making an empty promise.

• Locked thread