Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Hixalot and Spermy Smurf, I'm gonna figure out how to give you guys commissioner access. I'll be traveling September 8 through 16, so you'll need to be on duty for any issues that come up during that period.

Vacation for me too these exact dates.

I can pick up Rudolph if need be. No worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just added a "no waivers allowed" event that should start in 4 minutes. I think that might include no dropping players, but I'm not sure. There's no obvious "no dropping players" event to add. We might just have to informally enforce the lockdown period.

I've added you and Hix as commissioners - up in the right hand corner, you have to click the "become commissioner" link in order to do commissioner stuff. For safety's sake you should usually be in owner-mode; only switch to commissioner mode when you need to do something that requires it. Much like not being logged in as root on a unix server.

e. Yeah let's put Rudolph back on your team. I don't know if anyone else even cares, but we should either obey the rule or formally change it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Added Rudolph back as commish because I am unable to add him back as an owner.

Obeying the rule is fine. I can't drop him at all even during/before the draft, so I've got him during the draft right? One less slot for me?

Not a huge deal, the dude I was gonna grab will definitely still be there after the draft, no one else is that dumb.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
On another note: Anyone want Rudolph? 5th round pick?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I keep forgetting to mention this, so I'll say it here, in case anyone else is up against the same thing as me.

If you are attentive you will notice that I have very little cap space. In fact I have so little cap space that my first round pick, which is 10th and therefore a $16, will bust my cap.

...but it's OK, because if I draft an actual NFL rookie in that spot, I can put him straight onto my taxi squad, and he'll not cost me any cap.

Now, I do not know if MFL will "let" me draft a player directly to my taxi squad. But, our league rules are consistent on this point: you are allowed to accept players - via FAAB, trades, drafting, whatever - that you want to go directly onto IR (or your taxi squad) and if putting them there doesn't bust your cap, then you're OK to temporarily float them across your bench on their merry way, even if doing that does bust your cap temporarily.

I have MFL set to "soft limit" which means the system does not straight-up hardcore prevent you from making any action that would bust your cap. Instead, the Rosters report indicates when teams are over their cap, and that's all the system enforces.

So the general league rule still pertains: every owner is responsible for monitoring his or her own cap, and following the salary cap rules. MFL will make this much easier than it was on ESPN, because you don't have to refer back to the spreadsheet, but you still can't just totally ignore your cap. But, this also means that you could screw yourself by (say) bidding for a non-taxiable, non-IRable player in the draft or during FAAB that will bust your salary cap. You will lose that player (or, in a multi-player transaction, the most expensive player) as a result as soon as a commissioner enforces our rules.

Also, my first round #10 pick is available for trade offers! Since I'm close to my cap, I'd like to make some cap space, ideally by trading a higher-salary player for one or more lower-salaried players. I put some guys on the trading block but feel free to make any offers.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 31, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Want Rudolph for the 1.10? :downsrim:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think between Olsen and Gates, my TE situation is well covered, and I have McDonald as my sleeper candidate, thanks.

Looking over your roster, the main guy that I'd be interested in is Freeman, who obviously has a very low salary. Presumably you wouldn't want to trade him, but I'd entertain a trade deal involving Le'Veon Bell...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy ballsack, $51? I'd have to dump half my team to afford it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Y... yeah. Bidding was intense last year, and I may have overpaid for him, although that's arguable. His salary will go to $56 next year, which is still reasonable unless he gets suspended again or injured or something - guy is still young, and when he's healthy and playing, consistently in the top three RBs. In 2018 his salary goes up to $62, and it starts being too expensive at that point, although Julio and Odell are both more expensive than Bell...

...But yes, that's a lot of salary. You're only at $209, though! If I took Freeman, that'd put you at 203 + 51 = 254, so you'd only have to drop four dollars.

Heyyy, how much is Kyle Rudolph's salary? Why, it's $4! How about that.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Edit: quoted wrong post

Leperflesh, I'd be interest in swinging a deal for Miller if we could work something out

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixalot posted:

Edit: quoted wrong post

Leperflesh, I'd be interest in swinging a deal for Miller if we could work something out

Hmmmm.

I suppose you wouldn't do a Miller for Gurley trade, right? How high are you on Miller this year? I felt pretty great about his move out of Miami after I paid "too much" for him last year, and now I think his salary ($47) is justified. I'd hate to see him go, and with Bell suspended, letting go of Miller means I need another top RB to replace him. Drafting tenth, I am not likely to get like Zeke (who I'm not as sold on as others anyway) or something.

So I'd need a very good deal for Miller, but I'm not totally opposed to the idea.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Forgot to follow up on this, too.

Bloody, did you intend to drop Eric Ebron?

Hixalot and Spermy Smurf, I'm gonna figure out how to give you guys commissioner access. I'll be traveling September 8 through 16, so you'll need to be on duty for any issues that come up during that period.

Oh, I meant to keep him. Maybe a keepers related thing dropped him?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Oh gently caress is the only way to dump players during the draft via trade

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bloody posted:

Oh, I meant to keep him. Maybe a keepers related thing dropped him?

Nah, his box just wasn't checked on your keepers list. I've checked it and processed your keepers, so you're set there.

Bloody posted:

Oh gently caress is the only way to dump players during the draft via trade

Yes, that's correct. That's why there was a deadline to drop players, which we discussed in this thread, etc.

The idea is that it's difficult to plan for the draft and possibly unfair to someone considering trading away a draft pick, if owners can drop a player right before the draft. By locking drops a week in advance, everyone has an equal opportunity to assess the available players and plan (or make trades) accordingly.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Guessing there's no way I'd be allowed to drop a player who was cut and technically isn't in the NFL anymore? Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edit: He was cut after our keep lock-in.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 1, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unless he's officially retired, he's still in the NFL. Who is it?

But unless we have some kind of vote and it's clear the league supports a change in the rules, you guys can't drop guys this week, and we did not write an exception into that rule.

Feel free to propose a rule change and ask for a vote at any time, though!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Nah, his box just wasn't checked on your keepers list. I've checked it and processed your keepers, so you're set there.

Yes, that's correct. That's why there was a deadline to drop players, which we discussed in this thread, etc.

The idea is that it's difficult to plan for the draft and possibly unfair to someone considering trading away a draft pick, if owners can drop a player right before the draft. By locking drops a week in advance, everyone has an equal opportunity to assess the available players and plan (or make trades) accordingly.

yeah that makes sense, I am just insanely stupid

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Rueben Randle

Edit: Can I propose that we can drop players who are cut during the one week we can't drop players?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well I guess I have 4 roster spots open plus 3 taxi squad spots, Good Enough

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Randle is probably gonna be hired by an NFL team by midseason.

I mean, rotoworld says he was waived because of sheer lack of effort and presumption of making the roster in Philly, so maybe he'll maintain that attitude and not get a job. But there are teams with total garbage for WR options right now (like the niners) for whom Randle would be a clear upgrade even if he sleeps through the first half of every game and gives up any pretense of even trying to run his assigned routes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bloody posted:

well I guess I have 4 roster spots open plus 3 taxi squad spots, Good Enough

I don't know for sure, but I suspect MFL is not going to allow you to draft more than 4 players during the draft.

I think you ought to be able to, certainly it should be allowed by our league rules, I just don't know. I've only used MFL drafting software for MFL10 style drafts, all of which were snake redrafts with no keepers from previous years. So :shrug:

Maybe if everyone wants to, we can pause the draft for a piss break after an hour, and a commissioner can manually move rookies onto taxi squads for anyone who needs that?

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
He's been cut two years in a row for lack of effort. I can't imagine he's wanted or will be worth anything other than a warm body. I assumed his first cut would make him realize he should try.

What's the reason behind the "can't drop week"? I can't see it being helpful for anyone especially when players can still get cut or have major injury. Is the week or no dropping in the rules?

Edit: As I see you can move players to IR. So players getting cut really fucks you because you can't do anything with them and you can't draft for the player who isn't playing.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 1, 2016

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
Only thing I'm seeing is this:

"At least one week prior to the Rookie Draft, teams are unlocked and Owners may trade and drop players."

Nothing about locking rosters so we can't drop players, so there's no rule change to vote on.

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
whoops.. I should've read page 26. I dumped bridgewater and ladarius green (before catching up on the thread) since they're both IR, it let me drop them but it still shows them on my keeper list.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ughhhhhh.

Ok so I thought we had it in the rules, and have been referring to that since at least august 12:

Leperflesh posted:

Drops do need to be locked before the draft, because drops are eligble to be drafted.

And have been mentioning the lock since this post:

Leperflesh posted:

I will lock rosters 1 week before the draft day. So right now, that'd mean you can't drop anyone between Saturday, August 27th and the draft; you can drop players during the draft I guess, and after the draft for sure; those players go into the first FAAB waiver cycle which I'll set to begin immediately after the draft.

Although we never actually solidifed whether you could drop players during the draft (no idea if MFL will let you do that, but probably not?).

Obviously I was flat-out wrong about this being in the rules. I must have thought about making it a rule at some point a long time ago, or something. gently caress

I don't actually care? TBH I have not done the prep that I should be doing to get ready for our rookie/free agent draft but I assumed others of you would be and for example you'd want to know exactly who was available for the first round etc. before deciding whether or not you want to trade picks.

It makes total sense to allow you guys to drop dudes like Bridgewater or Randle. But if we do let everyone drop at any point before the draft - or especially during the draft - then what's to stop someone from trading up for the first pick, dropping a guy costing $50 in salary, and then drafting them at #1 with a salary of $20? Hell, what's to stop the owner with #1 pick right now, from doing that?

I'd like to hear opinions. If you guys don't think that's a problem, then I'm OK with just letting everyone drop up to the draft. But I'm averse to ignoring possible exploits. I might be overzealous about trying to think of ways to game our system before anyone has actually tried to game the system, though? :shrug:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think they should stay locked. Dunno if its on the rules, but giving us time to go over the pool of players is helpful.

I dont think any of us would stand for that exploit, so at the very least lock during the draft.

If everyone wants to drop a player, then we can all drop one or something.

Or if no one cares, then drop whenever.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
In every other keeper league I've played in keepers locked an hour before the draft. I could see maybe doing two hours for this because of the roster sizes. A full week seems WAY excessive, as a lot can happen during a week in the NFL.

I'd hope it doesn't take a week to make your first pick of the draft. It'd be like if we had everyone submit their first round pick one day and then required a week before we started the second round.

Also, there was nothing from stopping the person with the first pick from dropping his highest salary guy a week before and drafting him. I'm not sure why having them locked now changes that. If he wants to waste his first pick on a salary dump and not the best rookie then I guess we can let him shoot himself in the foot.

atomictyler fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 1, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

atomictyler posted:

In every other keeper league I've played in keepers locked an hour before the draft. I could see maybe doing two hours for this because of the roster sizes. A full week seems WAY excessive, as a lot can happen during a week in the NFL.

After my morning coffee this seems to be the way I'm leaning too.

At least after the last preseason game, or last round of cuts or something. Rosters went from like 100 to 75 recently, and will drop once more. Some guys that are talented won't make the team because of off the field issues or being locker room cancer. Gotta be able to drop those dudes.

About the draft: I don't think it'll be that hard to communicate who should be on a taxi squad when they are chosen. I can fire up a second laptop and be logged in as commish and move dudes pretty much real time if MFL supports that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I added a page to the spreadsheet with screenshots of the final from the ESPN league so we don't lose it. It's in the thread somewhere, but now it's in the spreadsheet too.

Can I drop Rudolph?

Also: Devonta Freeman is on the trading block.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 1, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well as atomictyler quite correctly pointed out, our rule as it stands explicitly says you can drop players this week. So until/unless we change that rule, yeah, drop away.

I suppose that a typical dynasty league avoids the entire issue by only holding rookie drafts; nobody is dropping rookies ahead of that year's rookie draft, obviously. We could switch to that (free agents would be FAABable) but I think we'd have to wait till next year, since owners presumably made draft picks etc. on the premise that we'd be including free agents in this year's draft.

I don't know what affect there is from dropping a player that you included as a keeper, but I suspect there isn't any.

Hey, about the draft: do you guys want to use some sort of chat while we draft? Just whatever's in the MFL live draft software?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah also MFL has this to say about your pre-draft picks:

quote:

Next, make sure all owners understand the "pre-draft" feature and the "My Draft List" feature on the MyFantasyLeague.com site.

The "pre-draft" feature on the site was designed mainly for long-running email-type drafts, but at times it can be helpful for live drafts, too. The most important thing to understand about this feature is the following:

Any pre-draft picks submitted by an owner will be selected as soon as it's that owner's turn to pick for that given pick of the draft. In other words, if you have submitted pre-draft picks for round 2 of your draft, as soon as the team before you in round 2 picks in your draft, the system will go through your pre-draft list at that time (even if you're actively logged into the draft!) and make your pick for you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Holy loving poo poo so clear my draft list?

Just load them all onto my watch list instead?

That would be embarrassing, my draft list isn't actually ordered properly. It's in tiers of names to snag if I see them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I guess so!

I've only done slow drafts on MFL so I'm flying blind here.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I want to make sure I'm clear on the taxi squad rules, any player that has never been started in this league can be put on the squad correct? So obviously this years rookies are eligible, and people like Breshad Perriman and Kevin White are eligible since they never saw the field last year and someone would have had to have been insane to start them. But say I pick up Adam Humphries who was a UDFA practice squadder in TB last year that ended up starting because everyone died and is the number 3 this year. Can he go on the taxi squad? Or maybe Louis Murphy who is one of said older players who died but was probably never started in this league. I assume I have to do some dilligence to make sure they were never started, though I don't know how I'd do that since we've moved league hosts.

Not trying to be annoying or anything, but I just want to make sure I understand.

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I host a teamspeak server if anyone wants to join that during the draft. Let me know and I can share the info.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I want to make sure I'm clear on the taxi squad rules, any player that has never been started in this league can be put on the squad correct? So obviously this years rookies are eligible, and people like Breshad Perriman and Kevin White are eligible since they never saw the field last year and someone would have had to have been insane to start them. But say I pick up Adam Humphries who was a UDFA practice squadder in TB last year that ended up starting because everyone died and is the number 3 this year. Can he go on the taxi squad? Or maybe Louis Murphy who is one of said older players who died but was probably never started in this league. I assume I have to do some dilligence to make sure they were never started, though I don't know how I'd do that since we've moved league hosts.

Not trying to be annoying or anything, but I just want to make sure I understand.

Yeah now that I think about it, the rule is a bit problematic.

Our league's only been running one year. So any player that missed all of last year would qualify to be on a taxi squad this year, including long-time NFL veterans who simply weren't startable last year. Then again, the NFL allows players like that to be on a taxi squad too. (In practice, I doubt an NFL team would bother to keep a player on IR all year - rather than just give them an injury settlement and waive them - unless they were good enough to definitely make the roster the following year. So in practice I doubt there's a lot of NFL veterans who spent a year on IR sitting on taxi squads.)

In any case, unless someone in our league started Adam Humphries last year, he'd be taxi squad eligible. The problem is, it's not super easy to determine that for any random non-rookie player.

For example, did anyone start Tim Hightower last year?

Well, to determine that, first I could search our entire spreadsheet (across all tabs) for Tim Hightower. I immediately discover that he was owned by the Concord Concordes. But was he started?
Well, I can see the Concordes added him on 12/16/2015. So now I need to check the old ESPN pages for the league and see if he was started in any games after that date.
Sure enough, Concordes started him in week 15 (and in later weeks), so he's not eligible for a taxi squad slot.

This is a little annoying to do, but I'm assuming we won't have to do it all that often. For the most part, any player who was startable last year is unlikely to be on a taxi squad this year, so while there must be some exceptions, there can't be all that many of them.

MFL has one setting for taxi squads that relates to eligibility, and that's "restrict taxi squad to only rookies?" (Y/N). I've set it to No, which means we have to manually police the taxi squads. If I set it to Yes, we get that automatically, but it would make the taxi squads less useful, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

atomictyler posted:

I host a teamspeak server if anyone wants to join that during the draft. Let me know and I can share the info.

I could do teamspeak, that might be cool. I've also got a buddy who runs a mumble server, I'm sure he'd let us make a room if that was preferred.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we could also just do discord which is convenient because its just in the browser

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am old or out of touch with technology. I dont know what these things are.

I have a twitch stream on a skype server that we can all google voice to a magic jack in a VOIP setting if we need.

I am also unsure if you all finding out I am a 13 year old girl is the best idea for all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would be interested in meeting an old, out of touch with technology 13 year old girl, but I'm worried your precocious luddite ways might corrupt me.