Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

In case you havent read it, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715146

Casual 23->103 fps improvement when you include both particle and multi threading improvements.

Yep I had that linked to me a week back. Has anyone played with it is it near d3 smoothness when shits going crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

Yep I had that linked to me a week back. Has anyone played with it is it near d3 smoothness when shits going crazy?

The particle effects havent been available yet so I havent tried those, but the multithreading is pretty massive yeah. It still wasnt d3 when I was coc discharging a billion mobs but it was much much better. And that was a beta version so they maybe/probably made it even better for 2.4.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

Thinking this will be my first character this league, Explosive Arrow Chieftain. Probably level as Firestorm until I can nab a Quill Rain. I'm thinking about pathing over to EE with some cold or lightning damage on a ring or something. The dex nodes are all placeholders to deal with gem requirements, probably won't need all of them.

Anything look particularly out of place? Tips?

I really recommend grabbing Elemental Overload instead of RT. Then you can take the dex/accuracy nodes instead of the pure dex nodes. Also, you really should use blood magic keystone instead of blood magic gem. The life-cost from gem is pretty loving insane.

Here's the jugger EA I ran in 2.3 https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters (EARodent)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So since ill get a full respec should i switch from eq into something else? I prob wont play the character much anyway and he's turning into a MF anyway, should i switch to an ice crash build with two Camerias?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

TheRat posted:

I really recommend grabbing Elemental Overload instead of RT. Then you can take the dex/accuracy nodes instead of the pure dex nodes. Also, you really should use blood magic keystone instead of blood magic gem. The life-cost from gem is pretty loving insane.

Here's the jugger EA I ran in 2.3 https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters (EARodent)
I really don't like having to gear accuracy, and there's honestly only a few nodes (Versatility and Precision) that grant any - it tops off at 80% increased and only 40 dex. It really feels like it would result in a net loss of damage compared to the fire and forget of RT, especially at higher maps. I'm thinking I might have a Curse on Hit - Lightning Arrow setup to proc EE and curses (Flammability or Enfeeble most likely, maybe both with a Doedre's Damning or Windscream). e: heck I could even path up to whispers of doom, it's only five points

Good call on the Blood Magic, though. This looks about right, should hit this mid-80s before I get bored.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ButtWolf posted:

So since ill get a full respec should i switch from eq into something else? I prob wont play the character much anyway and he's turning into a MF anyway, should i switch to an ice crash build with two Camerias?
on standard? do whatever the gently caress you want

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Real Foogla posted:

on standard? do whatever the gently caress you want

Oh ok.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

I'm thinking I might have a Curse on Hit - Lightning Arrow setup to proc EE

You dont need that. You proc EE with the arrows themselves, it's applied before they explode.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
just dont have flat fire dmg somewhere on your gear :^)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am so loving hyped for Friday I can't even.

Last year they put in lockstep, this year its multi threaded engine stuff.

Any other developer would have probably said 'lol get hosed nerds' and parachuted away with MTX money.

Gonna buy a supporter pack Friday methinks.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Is EA still gonna be good with the Frost Wall change? I thought that was kind of an integral part to wrecking poo poo with EA. Maybe I misunderstood either how EA works or what the Frost Wall change was.

Or is that just a single target thing and you need to have a weapon swap for blast rain or something for single targets?

theshim
May 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

You dont need that. You proc EE with the arrows themselves, it's applied before they explode.
I know, but this would mean I wouldn't 100% need to have flat cold or fire damage somewhere. QoL it would be worse, but it's a thought, and regardless I still like it as a good way to apply curses on a ranged build.

Should I run any auras with this? Don't like running them with BM much, and EA doesn't seem to benefit from a lot of them. I guess I'll just sit on a fuckoff giant pool of life.

Looking at your Juggernaut, it's good to see I'm thinking the same gear overall - Quill Rain, Rearguard, Blood Dance, Kaom's, Devoto's. I probably won't actually get the Kaom's at any point on account of being terrible at making mad poebux, but I seem to have learned a thing or two. I guess Undeniable is one of the reasons you could more easily run EO instead of RT, but I'm dumb and making a Chieftain for some reason, so that's a shitton of accuracy I'd be missing out on.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

MerrMan posted:

Is EA still gonna be good with the Frost Wall change? I thought that was kind of an integral part to wrecking poo poo with EA. Maybe I misunderstood either how EA works or what the Frost Wall change was.

Or is that just a single target thing and you need to have a weapon swap for blast rain or something for single targets?

The Frost Wall change was more targeted at Lightning Arrow than anything. On hit, LA creates 3 projectiles which automatically home in on an enemy. Drop a Frost Wall in front of a boss, hit wall with Lightning Arrow, all 3 of those projectiles hit boss. That's fine and dandy...except LA creates those projectiles on each hit, so get 100% Pierce chance and throw up a couple of FW and you're just making GBS threads projectiles at a single target.

EA only drops charges on projectile death (i.e. the last thing the arrow hits) not on every hit like LA.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

I guess Undeniable is one of the reasons you could more easily run EO instead of RT, but I'm dumb and making a Chieftain for some reason, so that's a shitton of accuracy I'd be missing out on.

People run EO without jugger actually. EA is unique in that arrows that miss dont get destroyed, they keep going until they hit an obstacle. In indoor maps, accuracy basically doesnt do anything. Outdoor maps, however, Undeniable is nice, but you should be entirely allright just picking up a ring with 400 accuracy. Hell, I got undeniable at lvl91 and it worked just fine until then.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm gonna run with my ED Trickster with some minor tweaks then I think, get on the Poison train while it's still double-dipping goodness. Can't see the flat 20% nerf having too big an impact on its viability. Curse effectiveness nerf is kinda bleh for it but oh well. If Wither totem ends up not viable with the channeling changes will that be a big hit to the build?

Make to get a Consuming Dark, it will give you a gigantic boost on single target damage which ED can have issues with.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I am selfishly glad for the Bladefall Mine and slight poison nerf, because it means the Coated Shrapnel jewels my Bladefall Trapper needs may end up being cheaper this league.

theshim
May 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

People run EO without jugger actually. EA is unique in that arrows that miss dont get destroyed, they keep going until they hit an obstacle. In indoor maps, accuracy basically doesnt do anything. Outdoor maps, however, Undeniable is nice, but you should be entirely allright just picking up a ring with 400 accuracy. Hell, I got undeniable at lvl91 and it worked just fine until then.
Huh. Interesting. Maybe I'll give it a go at some point and see how it compares. Either way, I'm pretty comfortable with how my tree looks, and I'll be a few days late to start the league so hopefully some things will be available already.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I don't know if I want to go templar or witch Ice spear.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Speaking of witch ice spear, I cooked this up. Plan is to use a 5l (or 6l) pledge, ice spear > GMP > pierce > cold pierce > ice bite, maybe faster casting in there idk. I'll be playing SC, but I'd like any thoughts people have.

Edit: Changed gem.

Firos fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 31, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Flicker strike seems pretty good right now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vasudus posted:

I am so loving hyped for Friday I can't even.

Last year they put in lockstep, this year its multi threaded engine stuff.

Any other developer would have probably said 'lol get hosed nerds' and parachuted away with MTX money.

Gonna buy a supporter pack Friday methinks.

Yeah I think I'll go for the hydra pack, it looks sweet and they're one of the few developers I don't mind giving extra $$ to support. Lord knows I've gotten enough hours of play out of PoE.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I've been trying to concoct a dual claw templar and my favorite so far looks something like this. It doesn't really demand claws but it is oriented toward molten strike which synergizes nicely with life gain on hit. I could pull the 15 or so passives out of the dual wield/projectile damage near duelist and put them toward swords, sceptres, or jewels to adjust for whatever gear comes along later on.

The only thing I don't like about it is the middling life. I tried to work in mind over matter because poacher's mark + molten strike spews out a ton of mana but developing the mana pool to support it stretched too thin.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Also real talk, how slow/bad at mapping is blade fall trapper (not mines obv.)? How slow/bad is ice trap at atziri/uber izaro/etc?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Another build search page this one scrapes the top 1000 public profiles in perm HC and tries to filter out the profiles that have no gear on them. Should searchable by gear and gems.

http://www.poebuilds.io/builds?page=1

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

whypick1 posted:

The Frost Wall change was more targeted at Lightning Arrow than anything. On hit, LA creates 3 projectiles which automatically home in on an enemy. Drop a Frost Wall in front of a boss, hit wall with Lightning Arrow, all 3 of those projectiles hit boss. That's fine and dandy...except LA creates those projectiles on each hit, so get 100% Pierce chance and throw up a couple of FW and you're just making GBS threads projectiles at a single target.

EA only drops charges on projectile death (i.e. the last thing the arrow hits) not on every hit like LA.

Frost Wall was somewhat necessary for EA. If you're shooting at a boss out in the open only 1 of your 5 EA projectiles will hit it at a time. If you put down a Frost Wall and both you and the boss were standing on the wall, all the explosions would overlap on the boss, muliplying the damage by 5x.

Likewise the best single target option for KB is now to lure a boss to a physical wall and try to shoot at the wall hoping the game engine understands what you're doing and makes all the projectiles hit the wall relatively close to the boss.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Are there any good ways to give Ice spear a knockback without using a gem slot? I think it would KB would be nice to push mobs away if they're close enough to not trigger the explosion.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ultima66 posted:

Frost Wall was somewhat necessary for EA. If you're shooting at a boss out in the open only 1 of your 5 EA projectiles will hit it at a time. If you put down a Frost Wall and both you and the boss were standing on the wall, all the explosions would overlap on the boss, muliplying the damage by 5x.

Oh yeah, forgot about extra projectiles.

Deki posted:

Are there any good ways to give Ice spear a knockback without using a gem slot? I think it would KB would be nice to push mobs away if they're close enough to not trigger the explosion.

Couple nodes on the tree and a Winds of Change. That's about it. Doesn't even net you 30% chance.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Deki posted:

knockback jewels

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

Dearest Goons,

Has anyone tried a CI Whispering Ice build (like https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1667730 that could speak to it a bit more? If you have, what ascendancy would you recommend?

I have done jugg/champion EQ for the last few leagues and I'm looking for a change up. My priorities are less about clear speed and more about end-game boss killing. I've never tried CI before either, so that adds a whole bunch of new gearing that I've never done before as well.

Please talk me out of it if you think this plan is poo poo, or if there are greener pastures.

Your friend,
blackteapot

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hauki posted:

Yeah I think I'll go for the hydra pack, it looks sweet and they're one of the few developers I don't mind giving extra $$ to support. Lord knows I've gotten enough hours of play out of PoE.

hydra armor looks awesome

theshim
May 1, 2012

blackteapot posted:

Dearest Goons,

Has anyone tried a CI Whispering Ice build (like https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1667730 that could speak to it a bit more? If you have, what ascendancy would you recommend?

I have done jugg/champion EQ for the last few leagues and I'm looking for a change up. My priorities are less about clear speed and more about end-game boss killing. I've never tried CI before either, so that adds a whole bunch of new gearing that I've never done before as well.

Please talk me out of it if you think this plan is poo poo, or if there are greener pastures.

Your friend,
blackteapot
I ran a CI Whispering Ice build just this past league! I ran it as Elementalist and even with lovely gear I was able to hit around 8k ES by the time I stopped for the league. I was able to clear Atziri and some red maps deathless, which were new milestones for me. I didn't even take Shaper of Desolation, so the build should be just as strong this league! I think I actually based my build off the guide you linked, now that I see it - ran it with Pyre and leechtanked almost everything. Being able to laugh at reflect is really nice.

Here's my lovely build and gear https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/theshim/characters (ShimWhispers)

blackteapot
Jan 26, 2006

theshim posted:

I ran a CI Whispering Ice build just this past league!

Thanks for the insight theshim! Did you run into difficulties getting the socket colors to match up to all ES gear? Also - what made you pick that helmet rather than black sun?

theshim
May 1, 2012

blackteapot posted:

Thanks for the insight theshim! Did you run into difficulties getting the socket colors to match up to all ES gear? Also - what made you pick that helmet rather than black sun?
I ran with Black Sun Crest for a while, but the Vertex (which I never gave back to Vasudus, sorry man :( ) was a huge chunk of additional ES and kept the +1 gems. The minor loss of damage on BSC was more than made up for by the huge amount of survivability and still let me keep my Enlighten in there. Ideally you either run with BSC or a really good rare ES hat, but those are very expensive.

The only sockets that really matter are getting 2R in a 6S staff. Getting three reds for a good CWDT/EC/ID is a bit annoying, but overall the build's not terribly chrome-intensive - or even that expensive to get up and running, though you can drop shittons into perfecting it. Most of the rares I was wearing for maps were 1c pickups.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Yo can I get a ginvite? Name is the same as here.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Heads up for anyone considering playing Ice Spear:

It's still just Ice Spear, an awkward to use spell that has poor packclearing capabilities, unless you're running it GMP/Chain and/or a beefy HoI.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

theshim posted:

the Vertex (which I never gave back to Vasudus, sorry man :( )

Did you use it throughout the league? Good then, I don't care.

nightwisher posted:

It's still just Ice Spear, an awkward to use spell that has poor packclearing capabilities, unless you're running it GMP/Chain and/or a beefy HoI.

The lack of buffs to glacial cascade make me sad. I want to like that spell so much.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

nightwisher posted:

My builds are bad anyway so why change things.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vasudus posted:

The lack of buffs to glacial cascade make me sad. I want to like that spell so much.

I've contemplated trying to set up the precise knockback needed to gently caress things up with GC, every time Haast deals like 8,000 damage through max cold res because I whirling blades'd with perfect timing. But that sounds like a lot of effort :shrug:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

FillInTheBlank posted:

My builds are bad anyway so why change things.

Oh yeah I'm not saying it's super bad or anything, just don't be surprised at how underwhelming they can perform compared to other projectile spells. It's mechanically interesting but is a relic of the old gameplay meta and just doesn't compare to newer spells with less clunky mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I like glacial cascade but it is a hard one to use. It's funny that one of its lab enchants converts nearly all of the physical damage to ice. They're basically saying yeah, one of the unique features of this spell is actually just a dumb annoyance that you'd like to be rid of. If you can get that enchant it makes the passive tree much less painful since you're no longer getting your cold nodes cut nearly in half.

• Locked thread