Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Bring back Shark Weeks and honeypot threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

lohli posted:

Or an official merch store, googling "somethingawful merch" comes up with a bunch of lovely cafepress type stores selling grenade logo things and awesomeface tshirts so there's got to be some kind of demand for this stuff.

lol

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LoG posted:

Bring back Shark Weeks and honeypot threads.

They never left. :ninja:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It will be slow but when people start seeing that effortposting is rewarded and encouraged, they will want to effortpost, too. If you give shitposters negative attention people will be encouraged to shitpost just for the recognition of being a shitposter. Quietly probate people who constantly and only poo poo up threads for the sake of making GBS threads on them, and ban the truly disruptive.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Whres my avatar you fuker

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Applewhite posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of/design SA merchandise for days.

lohli posted:

Or an official merch store, googling "somethingawful merch" comes up with a bunch of lovely cafepress type stores selling grenade logo things and awesomeface tshirts so there's got to be some kind of demand for this stuff.

just don't pull a fiesta cat and buy a bunch of poo poo in advance and try and hock it on people. Do those sales where X amount of people have to buy something for the order to be filled.

Seriously, Ironic t-shirts you have to explain to other people are all the rage these days.

Second Idea: Maddox is a whore these days desperate for attention so have an angry aging white nerd merger

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Wipe the slate clean, gas or archive every thread currently in gbs and start over, be ruthless with gassing of new threads so that only the strong survive

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Disappear them. Delete their accounts and their histories from the database. Ban anyone who remembers their names fondly and probate anyone else who mentions them at all. Only then will we be purified. After we have purged, purged them all.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Luvcow posted:

Wipe the slate clean, gas or archive every thread currently in gbs and start over, be ruthless with gassing of new threads so that only the strong survive

In it's current state, GBS wouldn't be able to get to a second page of threads worth reading.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Whres my avatar you fuker

I keep trying to give you updates about it but you never respond. I figured you'd lost interest.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The "rap sheet" is kind of a point of pride with a lot of goons and a central part of Goon culture. You have to keep at least a few bad posters around so we can compare battle scars.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Beefeater posted:

In it's current state, GBS wouldn't be able to get to a second page of threads worth reading.

yes it would probably be very bleak for a few days, months or years :smith:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
GBS is a thriving jungle ecosystem full of life and chaos. Parts of it are dangerous or smelly or disgusting but put it all together its a miraculous web of life. I'd caution against tampering with it because, like a jungle ecosystem, even the lovely parts are important. Sure everyone hates bugs but if they all disappeared then the beautiful birds that depend on them for sustenance will disappear, too.

It's not a 1:1 analogy but I think you get where I'm going.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

It will be slow but when people start seeing that effortposting is rewarded and encouraged, they will want to effortpost, too. If you give shitposters negative attention people will be encouraged to shitpost just for the recognition of being a shitposter. Quietly probate people who constantly and only poo poo up threads for the sake of making GBS threads on them, and ban the truly disruptive.

Do you want to be modded again? Because, this is how you get modded again.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually forget the Jungle analogy. It's stupid.

GBS is more like a garden that's sort of gotten overgrown with weeds and bugs. You can clear out all the weeds and bugs, but it won't make your garden beautiful. You also have to plant the seeds of the flowers and vegetables you want, and give them plenty of fertilizer (which means they need a certain amount of poo poo).
You can't just kill all the bugs and weeds indiscriminately because you'll take all the flowers and probiotic creatures with them.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I don't but I'm hoping that its somewhere far away.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Do you want to be modded again? Because, this is how you get modded again.

I don't think I can make the time commitment it would take to be a good mod.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Applewhite posted:

GBS is a thriving jungle ecosystem full of life and chaos. Parts of it are dangerous or smelly or disgusting but put it all together its a miraculous web of life. I'd caution against tampering with it because, like a jungle ecosystem, even the lovely parts are important. Sure everyone hates bugs but if they all disappeared then the beautiful birds that depend on them for sustenance will disappear, too.

I strongly disagree. It is not in any way, shape or form "thriving", its hasn't thrived for years, there are a few hidden gems but they are few and far between.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Luvcow posted:

I strongly disagree. It is not in any way, shape or form "thriving", its hasn't thrived for years, there are a few hidden gems but they are few and far between.
It's like a desert. It's hosed up, unlivable, and nobody really wants to be there except people who can't go anywhere else, but it's also home to some cool kinds of dung beetles.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm not a big fan of the "effort" threads because I find the humor usually lacking, so please if it's all photoshop phridays and CYOAs from now on, maybe make a second "poo poo GBS" forum where all the drunks can migrate to.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like a desert. It's hosed up, unlivable, and nobody really wants to be there except people who can't go anywhere else, but it's also home to some cool kinds of dung beetles.

Woah, it's not as bad a Phoenix.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
dare signed me up for a bunch of text message spam lol

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Many times a low effort post will turn into a thriving thread. Like the tech relics thread. It's doing well because it's the type of thread that us depressed middle age IT professionals enjoy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

That's why I threw out the jungle analogy.

FactsAreUseless posted:

However you want to look at it. The solution to make it more full of life isn't to kill the life that's there but to bring to it the elements that encourage the life you want.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mike12345 posted:

I'm not a big fan of the "effort" threads because I find the humor usually lacking, so please if it's all photoshop phridays and CYOAs from now on, maybe make a second "poo poo GBS" forum where all the drunks can migrate to.

Germstore posted:

Many times a low effort post will turn into a thriving thread. Like the tech relics thread. It's doing well because it's the type of thread that us depressed middle age IT professionals enjoy.

Exactly. GBS needs all different kinds of posts.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sid Vicious posted:

dare signed me up for a bunch of text message spam lol

maybe you should not have repeatedly doxxed yourself on these forums sid

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What do you want, a loving gold star for not posting like poo poo?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GlitchThief posted:

What do you want, a loving gold star for not posting like poo poo?

For starters.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

rear end posted:

maybe you should not have repeatedly doxxed yourself on these forums sid

to be fair it had nothing to do with that my phone isn't under my name he got my number because I called him

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Look if it weren't literally tested and proven to work on these very forums I wouldn't suggest it, but the fact is the good thread contests produced a lot of good threads and raised the overall level of GBS quality.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

disco volante posted:

I've watched GBS evolve over many years into what it is today, and I actually quite like the current tone. It would be nice if effortposts weren't immediately poo poo on, but I think the current mix of medium effort/low effort/white noise does strike a pretty funny balance.

The main time I see people give someone poo poo for an effortpost is when a thread has an already casual atmosphere and then someone comes in to make a lengthy post trying to derail the discussion into a debate about guns or cops or whatever.

Good effort threads? They're not as common as the low effort threads but if they're good they're well received. The serious replies are mixed in with not so serious replies and low effort jokes. I don't see any problem with that. People were very positive about the recent/ongoing thread where a guy is scanning old books from the Soviet Union and praising the op for his work, and not every post needs to have a super serious tone for that discussion to work.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It occurs to me that having a discussion about the future of GBS in a thread about Reddit may not see the participation it may were the thread titled more accurately.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
c-spam has a ton of IK's who seem to be doing a good job since all they can do is 6 hour probate someone so maybe try that or something

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Look if it weren't literally tested and proven to work on these very forums I wouldn't suggest it, but the fact is the good thread contests produced a lot of good threads and raised the overall level of GBS quality.

Those contests were good. Also stickying interesting/promising threads for a little while, but not for too long, to help them get a little more attention I think is a good way to encourage the kind of content mods want to see. One of the mods, I'm guessing Betamax, did a pretty good job of that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pendent posted:

It occurs to me that having a discussion about the future of GBS in a thread about Reddit may not see the participation it may were the thread titled more accurately.

Well at least GBS has a future. Reddit is gonna rot on the vine the second some new, even stupider way of circlejerking is invented. Say what you will about these dead gay forums but we're still here even though b y all accounts we should have been superceded by now.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think we can all bond if we meet up at Burger King. I'm buying. I'll even give you all a kiss

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think we can all bond if we meet up at Burger King. I'm buying. I'll even give you all a kiss

I'd be down to meet some goons IRL. Every time I see a very fat/nerdy looking person my heart swells with hope and I ask them if they have stairs in their house. So far I haven't met any goons but I will not give up looking.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I decided I'm not going to see Sausage Party by Seth Rogan. After heavy analysis I think there are better things i can do with my time.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I could paint a picture. Write some more of that novel I had in mind. Go for a walk in the park. See another movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Good thread contests only work if a good idea for a thread isn't immediately bogged down by shitposting. Rewarding good posting does nothing to discourage bad posting, so you might get an increase in people trying to post good threads, but you'll still have people making GBS threads on those threads.

• Locked thread