Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Compiling Maxine's tweets (there will likely be an article soon):

Judge Brown said she'd give Ryan Bundy the benefit of the doubt and maintain his pro se status, right to represent himself
R.Bundy told court:'I will abide by court rulings so far as they are in accordance with the law.'
Ryan Bundy further said: 'I do not relinquish power over myself to another.'
Judge to R. Bundy: Pro se - 'it is not a license to defy court orders...what I need from you is an assurance.'
R Bundy:'I will follow those criminal rules& codes as they are backed by the law.'
Judge warns R Bundy:If he raises an issue before jury that was resolved by court, she'll revoke right to represent himself

David Fry's attorney says a mental health expert will testify that Fry suffers from a schizotypal personality disorder.
Stressful events, i.e. Finicum's shooting, triggered David Fry's paranoia, suspicions,the mental health expert will testify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That...actually sounds halfway plausible, the schizotypal thing. I don't really think it's true but it might pass muster.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

David Fry's attorney says a mental health expert will testify that Fry suffers from a schizotypal personality disorder.
Stressful events, i.e. Finicum's shooting, triggered David Fry's paranoia, suspicions,the mental health expert will testify

I can buy this.

I've said for a while that Fry should get minimum jail time that's dedicated to getting him mental health care he needs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Not appropriate to diagnose via internet, etc, but Fry is pretty much the platonic image of someone developing schizophrenia. He's the right age/sex/race, his behavior matches, he smokes pot, there's a triggering event, etc.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's so hosed up the best thing for everyone is he spends the rest of his life in an asylum.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Clinical psych license application here, waiting to be approved by state board - can't diagnose without meeting him, ethics preclude internet doctoring, but would believe this is a reasonable diagnosis. What I've heard, especially in that long phone/radio/you tube we were on, is consistent with this description. I'll be interested to see and read the mental health expert's testimony.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Aug 31, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Casimir Radon posted:

He's so hosed up the best thing for everyone is he spends the rest of his life in an asylum.

He's a gently caress up, but provided he gets (and stays on) treatment there's no reason to think it can't be managed at this time.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/770672141314301952

:unsmigghh:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

A Winner is Jew posted:

He's a gently caress up, but provided he gets (and stays on) treatment there's no reason to think it can't be managed at this time.

Yeah. Out of all of these guys, he's the one I think would have the best shot of adjusting to life if he got help, medication, and was kept away from any SovCit jabbering that might cause a relapse.

As much as I hate Jones and Infowars, I'm not sure I like releasing user info like this.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
I looked at the bundy facebook page and they have a picture demanding that they free the "Oregon 8", which included mugshots of those sovcit dweebs. Except for david fry. Assholes wont even acknowledge one of their own and most likely dont give a poo poo if he gets mental help or rots in jail or whatever

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Geostomp posted:

Yeah. Out of all of these guys, he's the one I think would have the best shot of adjusting to life if he got help, medication, and was kept away from any SovCit jabbering that might cause a relapse.

As much as I hate Jones and Infowars, I'm not sure I like releasing user info like this.

Oh yeah, I concur. But I also get a lot of German compound word feelings out of INFOWARS AND ITS USERS flubbing cryptography and security.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Judge Brown said she'd give Ryan Bundy the benefit of the doubt and maintain his pro se status, right to represent himself
R.Bundy told court:'I will abide by court rulings so far as they are in accordance with the law.'
Judge to R. Bundy: Pro se - 'it is not a license to defy court orders...what I need from you is an assurance.'
R Bundy:'I will follow those criminal rules& codes as they are backed by the law.'
Judge warns R Bundy:If he raises an issue before jury that was resolved by court, she'll revoke right to represent himself

So, essentially the judge ruled that he can represent himself until the next time there's a ruling he doesn't like and throws a hissyfit? I wonder if there's a site where I can wager on the over/under of the number of days until he gets his right to represent himself revoked, or just straight-up removed from the courtroom for the remainder of the trial.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Azathoth posted:

So, essentially the judge ruled that he can represent himself until the next time there's a ruling he doesn't like and throws a hissyfit? I wonder if there's a site where I can wager on the over/under of the number of days until he gets his right to represent himself revoked, or just straight-up removed from the courtroom for the remainder of the trial.

I'll be real loving impressed if his right to represent himself survives one (1) day of court proceedings.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

I looked at the bundy facebook page and they have a picture demanding that they free the "Oregon 8", which included mugshots of those sovcit dweebs. Except for david fry. Assholes wont even acknowledge one of their own and most likely dont give a poo poo if he gets mental help or rots in jail or whatever

I imagine they equate mental illness with moral weakness and don't like him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I suspect the cognitive dissonance is such that they fundamentally don't know what to think of Fry, even to the level of moral judgement. How do you handle the most committed of your movement being the most committed of your movement?

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Aug 31, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Discendo Vox posted:

Triggered his paranoia? That fucker is always triggered, there's never a finger letting off that trigger....Fry is like a human version of a trigger

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fry also claimed to not be a christian at one point, and for some of them any non-christian is automatically an agent of the Enemy. Plus he looks more like a long-haired hippy than a noble freedom fighter.

IIRC weren't there some commentators claiming Fry or all of the final 4 were fakes, false flag actor types trying to make the movement look bad? Early in the occupation the militants claimed they were doing a better job than the federal workers at maintaining the place, and would leave it in better condition than they found it, which obviously didn't happen. Once the 'real militia' left, these four just hung around streaming themselves being idiots. Smoking weed. Slovenly. Lazy. Incompetent.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't worry, they'll get Fry dosed up on Seroquel and he'll be fat enough to look like a true patriot in no time.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
it wouldn't surprise me if there was a racial component in excluding fry from the tru patriots

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fry is a Jews for Jesus Jew, which he didn't reveal the entire time because even a crazy person knows what the prospects are for a Jew in a gathering like that. He only let it slip when he went over the edge at the end, when I think Fiore was trying to calm the situation down with prayer and he snapped at her that she's a Jew and everybody just went quiet for awhile

It was p funny

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Fry is a Jews for Jesus Jew, which he didn't reveal the entire time because even a crazy person knows what the prospects are for a Jew in a gathering like that. He only let it slip when he went over the edge at the end, when I think Fiore was trying to calm the situation down with prayer and he snapped at her that she's a Jew and everybody just went quiet for awhile

It was p funny

Was that when he started going on about how muslims had the right idea?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fry also claimed to not be a christian at one point, and for some of them any non-christian is automatically an agent of the Enemy. Plus he looks more like a long-haired hippy than a noble freedom fighter.

IIRC weren't there some commentators claiming Fry or all of the final 4 were fakes, false flag actor types trying to make the movement look bad? Early in the occupation the militants claimed they were doing a better job than the federal workers at maintaining the place, and would leave it in better condition than they found it, which obviously didn't happen. Once the 'real militia' left, these four just hung around streaming themselves being idiots. Smoking weed. Slovenly. Lazy. Incompetent.

You'd have to be a really dedicated secret zionist communist conspirator or whatever to false flag all the way through court and 10 year prison sentences

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You'd have to be a really dedicated secret zionist communist conspirator or whatever to false flag all the way through court and 10 year prison sentences

Pff, Fry takes off his "mentally ill hippy" wig, has a shave, puts on his FBI suit, and nobody will recognise him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SocketWrench posted:

Triggered his paranoia? That fucker is always triggered, there's never a finger letting off that trigger....Fry is like a human version of a trigger

Yeah, I was just looking through some of the earlier vids on his youtube account, he thought bill collectors were tyrany last October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCEazf0s4o

It looks like he subscribed to LaVoy's youtube channel that same week. Before that, his channel was all about video games. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxs4RfFAckQ

Really boring videos about video games.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I was just looking through some of the earlier vids on his youtube account, he thought bill collectors were tyrany last October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCEazf0s4o

It looks like he subscribed to LaVoy's youtube channel that same week. Before that, his channel was all about video games. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxs4RfFAckQ

Really boring videos about video games.

:raise:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
cars is such a poo poo franchise , im impressed fry found some place further to fall

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fry was the one most commonly accused, but it's hard to say if this was before or after a bunch of us in the various chat rooms started spamming "Fry is a false flag"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: oh man, this filing is nuts. There's a narrow interpretation of caselaw for the doctrine that might be plausible at a stretch as a typical defense filing. The attorney then proceeds to argue that it basically rewrites all the procedural rules of the case in a way that favors Santilli. I'm going to see what lawgoons think of this.

The doctrine isn't even plausible at a stretch here. A condition precedent for its application is that the group at issue has both legitimate and illegitimate goals. The Communist Party is the ur-example (unsurprising given that most cases originate out of the Smith Act), where the party aimed at 1) educating, radicalizing and improving the lot of the working class, a legitimate goal, and 2) the violent overthrow of the U.S. government, an illegitimate one. The doctrine requires proof that the individual at trial intended (2), not just (1). Here, there's no legitimate goal so no grounds for application.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.scribd.com/document/322647518/08-30-2016-ECF-1158-USA-v-a-BUNDY-Et-Al-Amended-Exhibit-List-by-USA

The Feds have a new list of exhibits and it goes on and on and on. Also why did Ammon Bundy have $8k on him?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jumpingmanjim posted:

https://www.scribd.com/document/322647518/08-30-2016-ECF-1158-USA-v-a-BUNDY-Et-Al-Amended-Exhibit-List-by-USA

The Feds have a new list of exhibits and it goes on and on and on. Also why did Ammon Bundy have $8k on him?

I'm guessing Ammon withdrew all of his cash from the bank prior to the occupation to prevent it from being seized.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JohnCompany posted:

The doctrine isn't even plausible at a stretch here. A condition precedent for its application is that the group at issue has both legitimate and illegitimate goals. The Communist Party is the ur-example (unsurprising given that most cases originate out of the Smith Act), where the party aimed at 1) educating, radicalizing and improving the lot of the working class, a legitimate goal, and 2) the violent overthrow of the U.S. government, an illegitimate one. The doctrine requires proof that the individual at trial intended (2), not just (1). Here, there's no legitimate goal so no grounds for application.

Enh, the problem I'm seeing with the scope of application for the doctrine (and its validity, generally) is that legitimate goals has to be read stupidly broadly. Even sovcits could satisfy it, inasmuchas any planned or advocated belief isn't itself illegal. Basically anyone expressing/communicating a belief meets the proposed standard.

Anyway,

quote:

Black Targus backpack with papers and business card of Carla D. Burnside, Archeologist for US Fish and Wildlife Service, recovered from LaVoy Finicum's truck

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Plus, you could conceivably be a CP member without engaging in illegal acts, which is the reasoning behind that. Santilli was hand in glove working with the illegal occupation and vandalism of federal facilities in Oregon, and was basically the Bundy spokesman and agent provocateur in Nevada. There's really no plausible deniability there outside of Santilli's spoken claims.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Facebook Aunt posted:

idiots. Slovenly. Lazy. Incompetent.

I'm pretty sure that's not much different from the rest given the only effort they ever put in was a tilled up section with a tractor and cameras being taken down.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Because he and everyone else there were those mooches everyone's experienced in life where they always ask to have some of your food or borrow money.
"This is my 8 grand, to hell I'll buy supplies for this place when we can bum it on the internet"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It wasn't money because it wasn't backed by gold!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mirthless posted:

I'm guessing Ammon withdrew all of his cash from the bank prior to the occupation to prevent it from being seized.

I have to wonder if he's the sort who has a bank account to begin with, whether from a personal distrust of banking or from his lovely business/personal practices making getting one impossible.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have to wonder if he's the sort who has a bank account to begin with, whether from a personal distrust of banking or from his lovely business/personal practices making getting one impossible.

Entirely possible. Ammon seems like the kind of guy who regularly runs out on debt and gets his assets garnished/seized when he doesn't show up to court

btw as a rule anyone who doesn't have a bank account in their 30s is probably a huge piece of poo poo. Of the last three people I knew who didn't have bank accounts, one was running from debt (understandable, but if you're at this point you should really just suck it up and pay it) and the other two were dodging child support.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Aug 31, 2016

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
One week from the trial. Are we ready?

quote:

Angie [Bundy], who has eight kids, ages one to 16, said she has tried to stay strong, but some days it feels impossible. “He’s my sole support,” she said, adding that in some conversations with Ryan, it’s been hard not to feel angry. “I’m like, ‘Did you even think this through? What did you expect me to [do]?’

Marylynn, Davey’s wife, said her husband was in the process of building a house for the family – six kids, ages one to 15 – when he was taken into custody. “My kids are sick, they miss their dad so much,” she said.

Anne Stoddard, Marylynn’s mother, who is now helping take care of the kids, said she struggles to explain to her grandchildren why their father is locked up. “He’s not a violent person.”

With Davey’s construction company on hold, Anne said she did not know how the family would get by financially if he remains incarcerated for much longer.

“He would be better off if he was able to provide for his family,” she said, adding with a sigh, “Now, they are going to have to rely on the government.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/29/oregon-militia-standoff-bundy-family

The ultimate patriot cosplayer's payday

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It could have been money stolen from the refuge as well. They emptied petty cash and made huge charges on government cards, remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just had a strange thought - it would be awesome if Ryan Bundy freaks out to the point of needing to be restrained, and while struggling he inadvertently takes a taser to the face, which improbably counteracts his neurological damage and fixes his droopy face.