Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

moist turtleneck posted:

This is what confused me about them saying it was cheap. Basically like "this car repair is super cheap if you already own thousands of dollars in equipment to do it!"

Uhh, yeah, everyone knows you don't count the cost of tools in a project's budget, since those tools will persist beyond the scope of the project. They're basically free!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
In fairness though, it's not like the CNC is a required tool for the project. You could do the same with a jigsaw.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
in a shed, with no electricity or running water like a animal

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I guess their time isn't worth anything either, this is why I just leave stuff on the curb for free instead of having a garage sale

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

If it's good enough for a baby's bath water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUJWIT9GrU

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
Man I love BigClivedotcom

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
McMansion hell got me in the spirit and I saw this in Arlington today:

The fake stone falling off is probably my favorite.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the old car that shows that I'm house poor

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like the unused space. So much space to really think!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is the siding warped in that big open space, or am I seeing things?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is the siding warped in that big open space, or am I seeing things?

Looking at the original there is rather a bulge in the siding near the glass top of the portico. Still a disaster.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

NancyPants posted:

Rock gardens. Rock gardens as far as the eye can see.

Lawn maintenance is a bullshit task and a waste of resources to boot. I want the front of my house to look like Iceland.

My high school architecture teacher (ironically?) had his entire yard covered in gravel, with ornamental cacti here and there. It actually looked pretty nice with the cacti. He'd considered concrete and Astroturf, but that was too expensive. Either way, beat the hell out of moving, and if you forget to water the plants, well, who cares, it's fuckin' cacti, they'll live (unlike my partner's poor lil' tomato plant, he went to visit his parents for a month and forgot to add "water the tomato" to the list for the friend who came over to feed the pets during the week while I was away at work).

DrBouvenstein posted:

If it's good enough for a baby's bath water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUJWIT9GrU
Dang, And I thought this thing my parents had when I was a kid was dangerous.

That's essentially just an enclosed resistor like an electric-stove burner, innit? You might burn yourself if you do something stupid, as opposed to "gently caress it, tapwater's not THAT great a conductor, let's cut out the middleman/expensive part of the setup" that BigClive reviewed in multiple forms. Those things he reviewed are basically just electrolysis rigs with enough plastic around them to not zap yourself when it's dry, aren't they? You'd think even China's health&safety bureau would've cracked down on that poo poo by now, but apparently not.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

China's health&safety bureau

Their what now?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geirskogul posted:

Their what now?

Bureau of Investigation and Statistics i think

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I’m the hover chimney.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Yes, our house had this feature as well. There's an efficiency apartment, it had a 240v electric range hacked in. The wiring for it must have been run by a total moron, and it was touching the drain pipe to the shower. I never really checked how much voltage was coming out of that shower. It felt like a normal 120v shock when I used it. I have no idea if 240v feels any different.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The real question is, does 120V or 240V get you cleaner?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

460V 3 Phase for that real deep clean. :science:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I have to drive past this piece of poo poo now and then. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.118...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The horror is only about 5 years old, it used to be a relatively normal ranch house until new owners built all the bizarre poo poo.

It's easily the tackiest damned thing to go past, you just slow down and stare. There's even MORE random Home Depot landscaping poo poo all over the yard since Google ran that street as well. I think as it currently stands it has tacky cheap knee-high fencing along the driveway and around some of the landscaping islands. I especially love the trees planted way too close to each other, the bizarre no-roof thing (seriously, is there a term for that object?), and the mismatched-windows octagonal seperate building. Make sure to move one notch south to get a good view of the extra building.

It's tough to see, but the driveway is *-~Red Stone~-* as well because look how unique we are.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Enos Shenk posted:

I have to drive past this piece of poo poo now and then. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.118...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The horror is only about 5 years old, it used to be a relatively normal ranch house until new owners built all the bizarre poo poo.

It's easily the tackiest damned thing to go past, you just slow down and stare. There's even MORE random Home Depot landscaping poo poo all over the yard since Google ran that street as well. I think as it currently stands it has tacky cheap knee-high fencing along the driveway and around some of the landscaping islands. I especially love the trees planted way too close to each other, the bizarre no-roof thing (seriously, is there a term for that object?), and the mismatched-windows octagonal seperate building. Make sure to move one notch south to get a good view of the extra building.

It's tough to see, but the driveway is *-~Red Stone~-* as well because look how unique we are.

I must be broken, because aside from the excess of cement lawn ornaments, i don't see too much wrong with it; the gazebo needs a cover if it's to provide any kind of shade, but it's easy enough to take down.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't even want to think about how much CNC runtime was involved, or the amount of finish work to get that much plywood to actually turn out nice without veneering it.
He's using this tiny detail sander to finish every one of those tiny steps on the underside. I like "zone out" work as much as the next guy, but I don't think I could muster the motivation to even get started on that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I do get a dark amusement from the guys touting their "cheap easy diy project" employing a $20,000 CNC mill or whatever.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Javid posted:

I do get a dark amusement from the guys touting their "cheap easy diy project" employing a $20,000 CNC mill or whatever.

I mean, cement is good for a cheap and easy DIY project until you factor in the cost of the cement truck and the cement factory. I mean, whoa, not so cheap now, am I right?! :smugdog:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hollow Talk posted:

I mean, cement is good for a cheap and easy DIY project until you factor in the cost of the cement truck and the cement factory. I mean, whoa, not so cheap now, am I right?! :smugdog:

But did you factor in the cost of the bike?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

toplitzin posted:

But did you factor in the cost of the bike?

The machinery was so expensive, bike and chain will have to wait a bit. :saddowns:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Wasabi the J posted:

I must be broken, because aside from the excess of cement lawn ornaments, i don't see too much wrong with it; the gazebo needs a cover if it's to provide any kind of shade, but it's easy enough to take down.

I don't see it either. The real horror is the house directly behind the camera. Which one is supposed to be the main entryway?
If it's not the garage, why does the sidewalk not go to the street?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Enos Shenk posted:

Assholes like this are the reason we all have HOAs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

This is the future of the death penalty: instead of Old Sparky the electric chair, you get Old Splashy the electric bathtub! Instead of their final meal, condemned felons get their choice of attractively scented bubble bath oils.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

xergm posted:

I don't see it either. The real horror is the house directly behind the camera. Which one is supposed to be the main entryway?

That bit connecting the house and garage is an expansion, I'm sure of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I feel like that's two rowhouses with one entrance cut off.

Tardcore posted:

Yeah, it looks like a covered carport that got enclosed into a room when they built the garage.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 1, 2016

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

The CNC he shows in the video is an X-Carve, which fully optioned out comes in at only $1700.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can cut those stair pieces much faster with jigsaw and circular saw. It's possible to cut 3 sheets of plywood at a time also. Also, much easier and faster to make it out of 2x12 lumber

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 1, 2016

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

xergm posted:

I'm the geometrically aligned boulders in the yard

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nitrox posted:

I can cut those stair pieces much faster with jigsaw and circular saw. It's possible to cut 3 sheets of plywood at a time also. Also, much easier and faster to make it out of 2x12 lumber

AESTHETICS

Also, I've noticed that when people get access to CNC tooling, every problem becomes an overcomplicated nail that must be hammered with 0.001" repeatability.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
The guy has a hardon for plywood though...that staircase had to be a loving nightmare. I cringed at that video. Especially the plywood landing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

:catstare: How do you even manage that? If you're using metal pipes, don't you typically ground them together?

I can think of a few ways, most of which center on having metal drain pipes as well as a faulty ground. You typically don't ground drain pipes, since they aren't considered a proper ground path. Still, they do travel through the ground, so if you have metal drains, then might provide a ground path under certain conditions.

One way of grounding all the wiring in your house is to clamp a ground wire from your panel to the cold water pipe, because supply piping in houses used to be either copper or galvanized steel, all the way to the dirt outside. Because of this, it used to be acceptable to ground outlets to any nearby pipe instead of running a wire all the way back to the panel. Well, PEX and CPVC came along since then. Now it's only allowed to clamp a ground wire within 6 feet of the service entrance, so that you can visually verify that there's no plastic pipe between the clamp and the dirt outside.

Now metal drain pipes are a thing too. They're usually steel, but there was a brief time when copper was super cheap and used for drains too. There was also a time when lead branches were used with steel stacks.

My best guess for how this happens is that they have metal drain pipes, a faulty device leaking to ground that is plugged into a outlet that is clamped to a cold water pipe for its ground, then also either the panel was grounded via a method other than the cold water pipe (was legal in the past) or a section of pipe upstream from the clamp was replaced with PEX. That might be enough to cause a shock to someone in that bathtub.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Safety Dance posted:

Also, I've noticed that when people get access to CNC tooling, every problem becomes an overcomplicated nail that must be hammered with 0.001" repeatability.
I mean wouldn't you?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Tardcore posted:

It certainly looks tacked on, but the brick matches perfectly; I would bet it was built that way. Maybe the connection was a breezeway with it's big open "window" boarded up.

kid sinister posted:

My best guess for how this happens is that they have metal drain pipes, a faulty device leaking to ground that is plugged into a outlet that is clamped to a cold water pipe for its ground, then also either the panel was grounded via a method other than the cold water pipe (was legal in the past) or a section of pipe upstream from the clamp was replaced with PEX. That might be enough to cause a shock to someone in that bathtub.

My best guess would be the tub is enameled cast iron, and a nail/screw somewhere touches both the tub and a hot conductor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wolrah posted:

I mean wouldn't you?

Ask the cargo box in the back of my Jeep that I cut on a Shopbot because I couldn't use a tablesaw at the time.

The results were awful. I've since learned to use a table saw well. If I ever rebuild that thing, I'm using regular tools.