Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

that article literally says that Tencent already had 93% ownership and that this last 7% likely wouldn't change anything in terms of how the company would be ran, and so far it hasn't. If the rumor was true then it would be the first time Tencent had used this power in a major way over Riot, and we also have no credibility to the statement of "Tencent is going to take control of LCS Monetization". This article from a year ago with no relevance to the current conversation changes literally nothing about what we do or do not know, gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Please don't slander the good name of big bad bart

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

This article is from 8 months ago and doesn't specifically reference LCS or it's management at all.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
the tencent rumour is from this richard lewis video i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpT41NVrL0o

since it's rl i'd imagine there's something behind it

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I'd imagine there's some reading of the tea leaves in general going on re: tencent and Riot. Ali Baba deciding "oh hey lets get into E-sports" has caused some waves in China and the surrounding area and tencent might feel it needs to do something to protect market share. Though how that translates to showing butt cream ads during american League streams I dunno.

That said I have no idea of the breakdown of LoL v Dota2 in China, but I was under the impression that China was one of Lol's primary growth markets right now.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

league is huge in china, i dont think dota2 ever really reached the heights that dota1 did because the system requirements were a bit too much and perfect world are a bunch of incompetent bumblers

i think the real threat is that people did like dota1 so if someone with money stepped in to take over it could gain more traction in china. i was going to compare the most popular league streamer to dota streamer on panda.tv but pdd has 3 million people watching him right now, i thought panda didn't fake their numbers but theres no way thats right considering the chat speed so i guess its impossible to know.

that being said most of the popular streams on panda.tv right now for dota are playing dota1 so uh, lol.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It blows my mind that people are still playing DOTA 1

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Does DOTA 1 have any active development still or has it been stagnant for a long time?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Game_Versions

the last changelist that got ported to dota1 was 6.83d which was in dota2 early 2015.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

league is huge in china, i dont think dota2 ever really reached the heights that dota1 did because the system requirements were a bit too much and perfect world are a bunch of incompetent bumblers

i think the real threat is that people did like dota1 so if someone with money stepped in to take over it could gain more traction in china. i was going to compare the most popular league streamer to dota streamer on panda.tv but pdd has 3 million people watching him right now, i thought panda didn't fake their numbers but theres no way thats right considering the chat speed so i guess its impossible to know.

that being said most of the popular streams on panda.tv right now for dota are playing dota1 so uh, lol.

dota is still pretty big over in China but not as much as it was during like TI2-4 eras, theres almost certainly been fall off in the chinese markets but other sections have seen growth, China and CIS teams for instance.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Radical posted:

The Dota2 Major they hosted this year was all kinds of magical. :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sexpansion posted:

Do we know that Piglet is not playing for TL next season? Because fabbbbby is not going to be on TL https://pvplive.net/c/team-liquid-marksman-announced-free-agency
I don't recall anyone saying anything, but he left TL's main team because of Dardoch who's been kicked now. Piglet might want to go back to Korea and join a better team for a better shot at World's, I don't expect he thinks he can make it from Team Liquid anymore; and I don't know if Immortals, Cloud9, CLG, or TSM would pick him up because they've already got their rosters pretty well locked down.

Team Liquid's environment is just a total mess.

Piglet brought in, doesn't get along with Xpecial so Xpecial is kicked
Piglet replaced with KEITHMCBREIF for attitude problems. Team Liquid sticks with Piglet
Quas goes mental and gets kicked/leaves the team
Smoothie is brought in, gets along with Piglet just fine
TL benches Smoothie so Dardoch/Matt have a "better environment for Lorlou" (Smoothie leaves)
Dardoch is benched because he's fighting with Piglet and Loco
Dardoch is brought back while suspended because TL couldn't win games without him
Piglet leaves because he hates Dardoch
TL brings in Fabbyyyy as a replacement
TL replaces Fabbyyy after like one game with Jynthe

Just about every roster swap they've got has some sort of drama attached to it, Loco is not a great coach and despite TL's upper management seemingly like they care about the players they don't seemed well equipped to deal with all the drama

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RealFoxy posted:

Team Liquid's environment is just a total mess.

Yeah, if I'm piglet I'm not playing on that team. But, you know, $$$ for playing challenger, why not?

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

dicks assassin posted:

What's the deal with Piglet? Seems like he's Korean and won worlds but I guess he's a cancer?

Piglet is a grown man who cries when he loses video games. No one wants to watch that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Loco was a good coach when it was about taking a team of professionals to an international strategic level. He sucks rear end apparently at managing personalities. That makes TL like the worst possible choice for him.

Edit: And remember Loco only became the coach of TL because MarkZ quit because the players sucked to coach lol

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 31, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not convinced he was ever a good coach. He just fell face first into the Bjerger King.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Shadow225 posted:

I'm not convinced he was ever a good coach. He just fell face first into the Bjerger King.

I think he was fine with TSM. Their drafting improved and they started to be able to do macro at a decent level. I think its pretty clear now though that Parth/Weldon, Yamato, Deilor, and Zikz are on a different level, but for being one of the first real authority coaches he was good.

He got the players to change their schedules, focus on things like exercise, and poo poo like that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Bjergsen stopped listening to Loco when he realized that he was one of the top 25 players of all time listening to someone who struggled to make it into NA LCS with a team full of Korean Pros. Former pros might work well as analysts, some do really well as coaches, but most of the all-star players have an ego and won't listen to former players they were better than

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

Bjergsen stopped listening to Loco when he realized that he was one of the top 25 players of all time listening to someone who struggled to make it into NA LCS with a team full of Korean Pros. Former pros might work well as analysts, some do really well as coaches, but most of the all-star players have an ego and won't listen to former players they were better than

Never really understood this line of thinking because it's not like anyone who coached the apex world class of professional athletes (like Kobe or Jordan or Lebron in NBA) would ever be better players than them but they are all ostensibly coachable.

What is the difference?

Like nobody is better than Faker and he has one of the most authoritarian coaches in the world, so...

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Libertine posted:

Never really understood this line of thinking because it's not like anyone who coached the apex world class of professional athletes (like Kobe or Jordan or Lebron in NBA) would ever be better players than them but they are all ostensibly coachable.

What is the difference?

Like nobody is better than Faker and he has one of the most authoritarian coaches in the world, so...
The difference is age. These are kids that were nerds in high school and they're shot into worldwide superstardom before they're even 20. It's the equivalent of a kid from high school getting drafted straight to the Lakers without going to college at all. Another big difference is most AAA high school teams don't have coaches barely older than the players (Or college or NBA for that matter)

Koreans are a bit different though, E-Sports has been bigger there for a longer time so coaching staff is a lot more refined than it still is in LCS. Remember how long it took for coaches to even EXIST in LCS? And that Lemon having a notebook with picks/bans was a huge advantage for the first year they were in LCS?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
NA is vastly different than KR in how they treat their coaches and their egos though. Like if Faker told Kkoma to gently caress off I'm sure it would not end well for faker, no matter how good a player he is. Especially in eSports, where egos and name mean a lot more than team (spectators tend to follow players, not orgs) and players tend to be young and burn out after a couple years (compare to sports where players can play well into their 30s) which means they don't have many examples of where that is actually horrible in terms of career goals

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Well one difference would be that those guys had been probably been playing basketball from a young age, and been listening to coaches since elementary school where as most lol players "got good" in their late teens by themselves playing solo queue and then all of a sudden have to listen to someone tell them what to do. I don't necessarily buy into the whole "uncoachable" thing

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kashuno posted:

NA is vastly different than KR in how they treat their coaches and their egos though. Like if Faker told Kkoma to gently caress off I'm sure it would not end well for faker, no matter how good a player he is. Especially in eSports, where egos and name mean a lot more than team (spectators tend to follow players, not orgs) and players tend to be young and burn out after a couple years (compare to sports where players can play well into their 30s) which means they don't have many examples of where that is actually horrible in terms of career goals
Burnout happens a lot quicker in E-Sports because the size of the hoop doesn't suddenly change one week and the basketball is now suddenly a bowling ball, and your now banned from taking three point shots because it doesn't offer counter-play. Especially in League, patches change things so much that muscle memory tends to betray you when a champion's damage gets nerfed and you're missing smites by 10hp.

If patches were less often (Maybe twice a year) and people were finding organic counters instead of Riot nerfing or buffing things constantly players might last longer because they wouldn't have to practice 10+ hours a day for 7 days a week.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think there's a reason coaches in professional sports are usually considerably older than players, and being able to command respect is one of the major ones. The players-turned-coach in the LCS so far are literally the same ages as the players themselves and the players they're trying to coach now were personally beating the piss out of them last season or a couple seasons ago at most. How can you respect someone you have proof you were better-than?

Prolly, one of the more successful player-to-coach stories, coaches in an entirely different region from when he was a player. I think part of the reason for his success is that he's not trying to coach people who don't respect him because they could beat him on the Rift.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Players might last longer but people all ready complain about stale metas

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

Burnout happens a lot quicker in E-Sports because the size of the hoop doesn't suddenly change one week and the basketball is now suddenly a bowling ball, and your now banned from taking three point shots because it doesn't offer counter-play. Especially in League, patches change things so much that muscle memory tends to betray you when a champion's damage gets nerfed and you're missing smites by 10hp.

If patches were less often (Maybe twice a year) and people were finding organic counters instead of Riot nerfing or buffing things constantly players might last longer because they wouldn't have to practice 10+ hours a day for 7 days a week.

Oh yeah I definitely agree there. There's a reason that, say, CS:GO players tend to play for a lot longer at a consistent tier of play than the average league pro.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mundo/shyvana/trundle top lane, all year

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
TSM tanking last summer had nothing to do with Dyrus and Lustboi being trash and was 100% because of Bjerg's ego and Loncodonco's incompetence :rolleyes:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Okay so I've been out of thee loop like, all season, mostly adjusting to new work/home life situations, partially playing Witcher, mostly just haven't had thee time to catch the new long-form games, can anyone give me the major highlights? Who's going to worlds, how NA is a fairing, what the meta's like now, I know EU is currently a dumpster fire, but that's really the extent of my knowledge.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 31, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Monathin posted:

Okay so I've been out of thee loop like, all season, mostly adjusting to new work/home life situations, partially playing Witcher, mostly just haven't had thee time to catch the new long-form games, can anyone give me the major highlights? Who's going to worlds, how NA is a fairing, I know EU is currently a dumpster fire, but that's really the extent of my knowledge.

The teams in green in the "Total" column are qualified for worlds, as are the teams right below them. Other teams will be going, but they haven't all been decided yet.

So:

EU: G2, H2K
NA: TSM, CLG
LCK: ROX, SKT
LPL: EDG, RNG, IM (third team already decided)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sexpansion posted:

The teams in green in the "Total" column are qualified for worlds, as are the teams right below them.

Only the ones right below them? I thought we usually had three teams. (I admit I'm mostly biased cause Immortals at Worlds sounds like stupid fun)

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Monathin posted:

Okay so I've been out of thee loop like, all season, mostly adjusting to new work/home life situations, partially playing Witcher, mostly just haven't had thee time to catch the new long-form games, can anyone give me the major highlights? Who's going to worlds, how NA is a fairing, what the meta's like now, I know EU is currently a dumpster fire, but that's really the extent of my knowledge.

There will probably be a lot of big season summary write-ups on Lol esports and some other sites once all the worlds teams qualify. Here's who has qualified so far:
http://lol.esportswikis.com/wiki/2016_Season_World_Championship

You can watch matches or highlights of any of the regional championships on lol event vods or onivia youtube channel, both are in the op.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Monathin posted:

Only the ones right below them? I thought we usually had three teams. (I admit I'm mostly biased cause Immortals at Worlds sounds like stupid fun)

Some teams haven't been decided yet. Immortals has to go through the gauntlet (extra playoffs) to make worlds, although they only have to win one series to do so.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Pobelter on usually being the crowd underdog: "When Bjergsen gets a CS you can hear TSM chants faintly in the background"

https://esports.yahoo.com/pobelter-lcs-finals-league-220000825.html

I like Pob I wish IMT was going to worlds instead of CLG

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

Pobelter on usually being the crowd underdog: "When Bjergsen gets a CS you can hear TSM chants faintly in the background"

theres still the gauntlet but man do i want C9 to win

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Jerkface posted:

I'd take NV over CLG.

Luna Was Here posted:

Yeah me too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Luna Was Here posted:

Yea I want TSM, IMT, and C9 in worlds!!!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Spring split really is useless isn't it? The meta's changed so much and CLG has gotten so lovely that a world's slot is just wasted on them. This isn't new, a lot of teams have come to worlds in terrible shape after falling apart during the summer split but ugh.

Ugh, I say.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

Spring split really is useless isn't it? The meta's changed so much and CLG has gotten so lovely that a world's slot is just wasted on them. This isn't new, a lot of teams have come to worlds in terrible shape after falling apart during the summer split but ugh.

Ugh, I say.

Almost like riot making multiple huge changes throughout a season is lovely for pros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

mistaya posted:

Ugh, I say.

I liked whoever suggested this but I think this would be cool:

Spring is a series of international majors

Break with MSI becoming the culmination of the majors

Summer split is longer but counts the most

Worlds

Breaks for IEMs as usual

• Locked thread