Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

On the subject of positive reinforcement, I don't think forbidding people from responding to a funny post with "lol" or an emoticon accomplishes anything useful. If people enjoyed a post, there's no need to make em write a paragraph explaining why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Parallax Scroll posted:

On the subject of positive reinforcement, I don't think forbidding people from responding to a funny post with "lol" or an emoticon accomplishes anything useful. If people enjoyed a post, there's no need to make em write a paragraph explaining why.

Or they could just not quote every post they like and respond with "lol". Isn't doing so a prime example of whitenoise posting? It adds nothing to the thread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Good thread contests only work if a good idea for a thread isn't immediately bogged down by shitposting. Rewarding good posting does nothing to discourage bad posting, so you might get an increase in people trying to post good threads, but you'll still have people making GBS threads on those threads.

I disagree to a certain extent. Reward good posting and a lot of the people who might normally shitpost will effortpost instead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Germstore posted:

Many times a low effort post will turn into a thriving thread.

Like this one?

I wouldn't call it "thriving" maybe, but it definitely survived longer than I thought it would for being a wet fart of a thread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Beefeater posted:

Or they could just not quote every post they like and respond with "lol". Isn't doing so a prime example of whitenoise posting? It adds nothing to the thread.

It lets the quoted poster know they are appreciated. I like getting empty quoted and lolled

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

I'd be down to meet some goons IRL. Every time I see a very fat/nerdy looking person my heart swells with hope and I ask them if they have stairs in their house. So far I haven't met any goons but I will not give up looking.

I've played 40k with several goons who were surprisingly normal people. If there were any group I would expect to be grognards it is they, but I have been proven entirely wrong

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
why do all goons spell seth rogens name with an a?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I honestly believe in the whole "be the change you want to see" philosophy vis a vis the GBS. People like Apple white post good, solid threads that do fine. I see tons more low effort weak QCS garbage posts about "oh gbs sucks now" then actual effort posts by those same forums "vets".

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Sid Vicious posted:

its out of respect for it his fine craft and artistry sid

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sid Vicious posted:

His name is Sath

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Applewhite posted:

It lets the quoted poster know they are appreciated. I like getting empty quoted and lolled

me too :hfive:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If SA ever wants to be as popular as Reddit it has to start hosting lots and lots of jailbait creepshots.

That piece of advice is free, Lowtax. :thumbsup:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beefeater posted:

There is no like system so we use the lol system.

Other than voting a thread there's not really another way to provide feedback.

Sometimes it's nice to say why you did lol at a thing and give a cogent response that sounds like you are in fact smoking a pipe and have leather patches on your tweed coat and other times it's just nice to acknowledge that someone said something funny.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sid Vicious posted:

to be fair it had nothing to do with that my phone isn't under my name he got my number because I called him

how have you been friend

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

syscall girl posted:

There is no like system so we use the lol system.

Other than voting a thread there's not really another way to provide feedback.

Sometimes it's nice to say why you did lol at a thing and give a cogent response that sounds like you are in fact smoking a pipe and have leather patches on your tweed coat and other times it's just nice to acknowledge that someone said something funny.

I think the "casual conversation" test is a good one here. It's normal to laugh at a friend's joke. It's not normal to yell "I am GAY! Clucky plucky!" in response to a joke.

Like is the "lol" working with the flow of conversation or against it should be the criteria.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

aww thanks man :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
A :lol: post is positive written reinforcement, that the humor of the poster is appreciated.

How is this a bad thing?

It's the community rewarding itself, with simple praise.

:woof:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

A :lol: post is positive written reinforcement, that the humor of the poster is appreciated.

How is this a bad thing?

It's the community rewarding itself, with simple praise.

:woof:

You did good. Take a cookie.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LOL or emptyquoting or whatever isn't white noise or shitposting derails. They're a way to appreciate a post, since we can't +1 or Like or whatever a post.

This is whitenoise posting (Even ignoring the OP and thread title which are a separate issue, namely zero-content threads):

You see that kind of dumb poo poo even in good, content-filled threads, and it usually starts almost immediately. That's the kind of poo poo that needs to be enforced. Really it's just adhering to the basic forum rules which have been around and unchanged since the beginning:

quote:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting. If you post anyway, the mods will probably gas your thread, automatically awarding you a 15-minute probation.

Before you reply: Before replying, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"

If you can answer "yes" to this, then please reply. If you cannot, then refrain from replying.

Even a pointless thread like that has the potential to become interesting, it could turn into a "post your horror stories of flying" or "hey here's a crazy story about the Denver airport!", and actually, there are a few posts later in that thread that at least have some content, people are joking about the airport shuttle breaking down, or the traffic on the highways in Denver, or whatever.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 31, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Even a pointless thread like that has the potential to become interesting, it could turn into a "post your horror stories of flying" or "hey here's a crazy story about the Denver airport!", and actually, there are a few posts later in that thread that at least have some content, people are joking about the airport shuttle breaking down, or the traffic on the highways in Denver, or whatever.

It sounds like the thread worked out fine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

It sounds like the thread worked out fine.

It wasn't a perfect example of my point since it started terrible and actually stabilized a bit, but there are plenty of earnest effortpost threads that quickly get gassed because they get swarmed by no-content posting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

It wasn't a perfect example of my point since it started terrible and actually stabilized a bit, but there are plenty of earnest effortpost threads that quickly get gassed because they get swarmed by no-content posting.

Someone once made a photoshop thread about combining movies, but he only had one example: a terrible photoshop of jaws in the water on titanic. Didn't blend at all. The rest of the thread was people putting that awful looking image of jaws in other movies. It was cool.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Maybe I'm just not reading the right threads, but I see good threads get gassed a lot more often because they start out good, then a few pages in turn into a seriouspost slapfight about politics or gamergate or whatever.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
I dont know why you guys are even discussing this, the writing is on the wall. SA does not attract new people, the only new accounts on the site will be people who lost their original ones or have a long list of perma banned accounts.
Changing GBS rules aint going to do poo poo, mass purges will make things worse and new ways to reward "good" posting wont make a difference because the userbase is no longer here.

I have given Lowtax many a 10bux but the site will further dwindle to obscurity until its time for the pain to end and its smothered to death. It had a good run.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

LOL or emptyquoting or whatever isn't white noise or shitposting derails. They're a way to appreciate a post, since we can't +1 or Like or whatever a post.

This is whitenoise posting (Even ignoring the OP and thread title which are a separate issue, namely zero-content threads):

You see that kind of dumb poo poo even in good, content-filled threads, and it usually starts almost immediately. That's the kind of poo poo that needs to be enforced. Really it's just adhering to the basic forum rules which have been around and unchanged since the beginning:

look, just because youre not retarded enough to enjoy gbs doesn't mean it should change back to the unfunny hugbox you so obviously crave. I like it how it is, and enjoyed those posts. Your idea sounds dry as poo poo and it will be if thats where things are headed.

goatse.cx haver fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 31, 2016

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

I did laugh when reading those replies though, doubt I'm the only one :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Someone once made a photoshop thread about combining movies, but he only had one example: a terrible photoshop of jaws in the water on titanic. Didn't blend at all. The rest of the thread was people putting that awful looking image of jaws in other movies. It was cool.

:agreed: that was a good thread, but it was because creative goons parodied the OP in a fun and creative way instead of just posting Krusty.jpg (or whatever the equivalent was at the time, Small Bart or whatnot)

Parallax Scroll posted:

Maybe I'm just not reading the right threads, but I see good threads get gassed a lot more often because they start out good, then a few pages in turn into a seriouspost slapfight about politics or gamergate or whatever.

This happens too, but is a totally different issue and IMO has less to do with zero-effort shitposting and more to do with the general sperginess of goons (which is also where a lot of the really cool in-depth threads come from too I think)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

goatse.cx haver posted:

look, just because youre not retarded enough to enjoy gbs doesn't mean it should change back to the unfunny hugbox you so obviously crave. I like it how it is, and enjoyed those posts. Your idea sounds dry as poo poo and it will be if thats where things are headed.

lol

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

he's right though

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

big shags posted:

I did laugh when reading those replies though, doubt I'm the only one :shrug:

i laughed too

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
don't call it a fall down

we've been done for years

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Post 3 and 4 made a worthless thread funny though.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Having read none of the thread I would just like to say reddit is on the verge of possibly being 100% correct for the first time ever.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

don't call it a fall down

we've been done for years

you make me sad

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

i mean, if lowtax hates it and wants a change then so be it but i will be sad to see it go is all im saying.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
i think we should pubish anyone who says things offensively without clearly trying to make people laugh for instance I think jokes about 9/11 are funny as heck like the photoshop of the pokemon flying towards the twin towers in the stickied thread but then someone just posting haha remember 9/11 with zero effort behind it maybe should be punished

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

goatse.cx haver posted:

i mean, if lowtax hates it and wants a change then so be it but i will be sad to see it go is all im saying.

I mean, I definitely don't want to see GBS turn into a safespace hugbox either. I don't think the mods cracking down on blatant zero-content posts is going to do that, but I guess I'm wrong :shrug:

I do agree with you that it's basically Lowtax's decision. I think the final solution should really be "whatever makes Lowtax feel less hatred and loathing towards the site he's been running for 17 years"

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
i love reddit. i get to pretend to be a black lady who gives out makeup tips to other black ladies. i reprint oprah magazine articles and get karma for it. it's terrific. i'm so happy i've helped hundreds of women of color find the right shade of foundation that matches their complexion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sid Vicious posted:

i think we should pubish anyone who says things offensively without clearly trying to make people laugh for instance I think jokes about 9/11 are funny as heck like the photoshop of the pokemon flying towards the twin towers in the stickied thread but then someone just posting haha remember 9/11 with zero effort behind it maybe should be punished

you had a regdate older than the internet

how much self aggrandizing bullshit did you do to lose that?

silly gently caress

• Locked thread