Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

I like the crazy explanations for Boba Fett getting rid of EPTs. Like him jetting over to a pilot with veteran instincts and saying "You are NOT as good as you think you are" or telling people to slow down and not push the limit so much.

My personal favorite is Boba taking out the Millenium Falcon title. He goes over with a bottle of red spray paint and draws a bullseye over it. (You see, the falcon can no longer evade so well...)

Or replacing "Punishing One" with "Mildly Abusive One"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So if he takes out the Advanced title or Chardaan Refit and they were at 100 points, does that mean their list is now illegal and you win by default? :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My favorite is still when Boba takes out Glitterstim, because it's just so simple.

Bossk is sitting in the Hound's Tooth cockpit, and opens the glove compartment - And finds it empty. He hears a tap on the window - It's Boba Fett holding his little baggie of space coke, and giving him the thumbs up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I just think Boba Fett is good at his job and knows how to counter your best tricks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

He's also a space mechanic, going over to your BTL Y-wing and telling you that he fixed your ion cannon, since it seemed to be stuck in the forward position.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

He's also a space mechanic, going over to your BTL Y-wing and telling you that he fixed your ion cannon, since it seemed to be stuck in the forward position.

Boba Fett's a giver

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm having difficulty finding any solid info on this rules doubt. If I can use Advanced Sensors to try and take a target lock that's out of range, can I not take an action and do one after my manoeuvre, or does Advanced Sensors count as being used? I don't think you take stress from a failed TL using PTL so that seems like kind of a precedent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hoiyes posted:

I'm having difficulty finding any solid info on this rules doubt. If I can use Advanced Sensors to try and take a target lock that's out of range, can I not take an action and do one after my manoeuvre, or does Advanced Sensors count as being used? I don't think you take stress from a failed TL using PTL so that seems like kind of a precedent.

I'd say no.

Based on the FAQ language for Target Lock:

When acquiring a target lock, a player must first declare the intended target.
Then, he measures range to the declared target to see if the target is within
legal range. If the target is in range, the ship performing the action must
acquire a target lock on the target. If the target is not in range, the player
may declare a different target, or he may declare a different action.

Doesn't seem to be any language there for un-declaring an action. I'd consider it stuck.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you fail at target locking it doesn't count as being used, I don't think.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I'd say no.

Based on the FAQ language for Target Lock:

When acquiring a target lock, a player must first declare the intended target.
Then, he measures range to the declared target to see if the target is within
legal range. If the target is in range, the ship performing the action must
acquire a target lock on the target. If the target is not in range, the player
may declare a different target, or he may declare a different action.

Doesn't seem to be any language there for un-declaring an action. I'd consider it stuck.

OK, so the language for barrel roll is the same. Say I'm in a tie fighter trying to barrel roll outside of range 2 Palob, but it doesn't fit either side. In this case I'm obligated to take a focus or evade?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Actually, the better reading is probably that "performing an action" is the trigger in Advanced Sensors to skip your action step. If you didn't perform an action, then you shouldn't skip the action step. Attempting the free action and then choosing to instead not perform an action shouldn't make you skip your regular action step.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So if he takes out the Advanced title or Chardaan Refit and they were at 100 points, does that mean their list is now illegal and you win by default? :v:

I know you're joking, but no. Discarded cards are out of play for all purposes *except determining squad point cost*

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I had the same question come up when I wanted to run Red Ace with Juke. He doesn't have an EPT, so I added R2-D6, but then got worried about what happens when I inevitably use Integrated Astromech. It works fine, but still a pretty dumb build!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hoiyes posted:

No if you cant do your TL you're not obligated to perform an unwanted action with Ad Sensors. You can do your maneuver then try again TL or whatever action you want.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

No if you cant do your TL you're not obligated to perform an unwanted action with Ad Sensors. You can do your maneuver then try again TL or whatever action you want.

Basically, I'm talking to our Nationals Marshall about it and he's leaning towards the you must do some kind of action interpretation. If there's anything solid on this I'd like to know.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hoiyes posted:

Basically, I'm talking to our Nationals Marshall about it and he's leaning towards the you must do some kind of action interpretation. If there's anything solid on this I'd like to know.

Advanced Sensors reads: "Immediately before you reveal your maneuver, you may perform 1 free action."

So if you choose to TL....

Target Locking as per the Rules Reference says, "If a player declares an acquire a target lock action for his ship and the enemy ship he wants to lock is not at range, he may choose a different ship to lock or a different action entirely"

So you decide to think about another action...

The Rules Ref also says this about Actions: "A ship can choose not to perform an action during the “Perform Action” step or when granted a free action".

You never HAVE to perform an action when you're allowed to, and if you never performed an action with Adv Sensors you don't skip your Perform Action step after your maneuver.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah, if you didn't TL, then you didn't use the ability.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

More importantly you're not forced or obligated to declare a different action after finding your target is out of range of the TL.

Kinda maybe sorta concerning a Nationals Marshall or whatever would rule against that.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 31, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Haha, one of the local league games ended in a 100-100 draw due to destroying each other via simultaneous fire rule.

They went off on the final salvo with 7 dice each, and tied their first 4 rolls, with the 5th roll deciding the game :allears:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Haha that's nuts. Had my first Final Salvo at the end of month tournament on the weekend. Brobots vs 2 uboat party bus. On the last turn I sniped the last 2 hull off the party bus, and in reply a range 3 2 dice scout primary sniped my 1 hull bumped IG. I had a full IG and he had a full scout and a 2 hull scout. 50-50 points, 3 dice to his 4. Won on the first Final Salvo roll, 3 natural hits to one :feelsgood:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

2xScout + Partybus is the new hotness, I guess?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

It's pretty good. The party bus wrecks aces like Soontir, Whisper, etc. The scouts nuke things with missiles.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The party bus gives a different threat profile and is the kind of ship that can't be shut down by control effects.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah I get to use my cool painted scouts with party bus so I love it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

OK, so the language for barrel roll is the same. Say I'm in a tie fighter trying to barrel roll outside of range 2 Palob, but it doesn't fit either side. In this case I'm obligated to take a focus or evade?

If it literally can't fit, thus causing the barrel roll to be illegal, then yes you'd need to take a different action or none at all. However, it's worth noting you pick a direction for barrel rolls and boosts, then attempt to perform them. If you fit anywhere on that side, you must perform the barrel roll or boost, even if it's a lovely move in retrospect.

If you don't fit on that direction, you can take a new action. This can be another boost or barrel roll to another direction, or another action entirely. You don't have to try every possible boost or barrel roll before moving on, just the ones on the side you indicate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Scouts and party bus is this, right?

Slaver with Dengar, 4LOM, Zuckuss
Scout with Deadeye, proton torps, chimps, Overclocked R4, extra munitions

Seems nasty.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Seems nasty.

The lists I've seen use plasmas with Intel Agent and/or Boba Fett on the scouts.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

Seems nasty.

You can mix and match stuff on the jms to suit. I like going to plasmas, putting intel agent on one and dampeners on the party bus.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Panzeh posted:

The party bus gives a different threat profile and is the kind of ship that can't be shut down by control effects.

Apart from the control effect of "fly behind it."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Devlan Mud posted:

It's actually harder to do that than it sounds because there are two highly nimble, low pilot-skill jumpmasters out there to run interference.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Even 1 v 1 it's actually pretty hard if you haven't got any post dial movement. With the 4 straight and 3 hard, plus the 180 arc you'll struggle. Not like an imperial shuttle which you should be able to solo with a Z.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Devlan Mud posted:

It's harder to get behind if someone knows what they are doing . With the 0 move and strategic bumping, I've seen it inch along barely moving a full 4 speeds length the entire game.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lazerus06 posted:

It's harder to get behind if someone knows what they are doing . With the 0 move and strategic bumping, I've seen it inch along barely moving a full 4 speeds length the entire game.

The party bus is going to be locked out of its full stop pretty quickly unless it's playing too conservatively to get the benefit of being the party bus.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

The party bus is going to be locked out of its full stop pretty quickly unless it's playing too conservatively to get the benefit of being the party bus.

This is why i like ID on it. You can get a full stop at the critical moment.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ten Numb (31)
Marksmanship (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 42

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

E: That's supposed to include Advanced Proton Torpedos

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That's a nice 48 point, one agility ship you got there. Would be a shame if... practically anyone shot at it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
1) Ordnance or cannons, pick one not both.

2) Ten only guarantees one crit, so stacking them is totally pointless. Drop it for something like VI (saves 2 points), ditch the APTs and EM (saves 8 points), use the mod slot for the crew mod and C-3P0. Six points cheaper, more survivable, identical ability to force crits.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ten Numb is in a B-Wing, so he wants to be light. VI makes him PS 10 so he can barrel-roll to get shots on high PS pilots like Soontir, Mangler Cannon gives him the uncancelable crit, that's all you need.

Crack Shot is everywhere these days, so I'd say C-3P0 is too costly for dubious benefit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Endman posted:

Ten Numb is in a B-Wing, so he wants to be light. VI makes him PS 10 so he can barrel-roll to get shots on high PS pilots like Soontir, Mangler Cannon gives him the uncancelable crit, that's all you need.

Crack Shot is everywhere these days, so I'd say C-3P0 is too costly for dubious benefit.

I mean if crack shot makes threepio worthless it pretty much makes all defensive upgrades worthless.

Crackswarms are gonna kill your ten numb regardless because an ace B wing is really bad against swarms. Threepio is going to give you more evades than anything else you're going to do on that ship.

Even with more ways to gently caress over threepio, it's still one of the best defensive upgrades in the game on 1-agi ships.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
C-3P0 is helpful against most things that aren't a Crack Swarm; just because he's not as useful against a Crack Swarm doesn't mean he's useless.

• Locked thread