Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Disinterested posted:

Well the numbers thing is historiographically significant because Soviet/Russian historians have, ironically, often blamed their huge losses in 41 on being outnumbered.

Yep, here we go, apparently the Germans had no more than 3,000 guns for Typhoon; the number you have is apparently just trumped up to further support the narrative of numerical supremacy (which is accurate re: manpower, tanks on Nov. 1).

What's your source on the German numbers? I want to add any books I can to my wishlist while we're on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What's your source on the German numbers? I want to add any books I can to my wishlist while we're on the subject.

Book I have cites: Soviet numbers in Mawdsley Thunder in the East; German numbers Stahel Kiev 1941.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

To be technical about it, I don't think it actually says that, what it says is "THERE IS A BOAT THIS WAY". The 'target' of an active sonar pulse can't know the emission time of the pulse, and so wouldn't be able to compute the range directly. Though with a modern boat and long-rear end towed sonar arrays, you might be able to range it if the geometry is right and your computers are setup for it.

Fair point, but if you know the bearing, you can start concentrating on that particular bearing. All the target motion analysis stuff you have to do afterwards is the same stuff you'd have to do if it wasn't going active. Going active just announces "here's an interesting thing that can't see you yet, go ahead and investigate, track, avoid, or destroy it".

e: also like bewbies mentioned earlier, active emissions can reveal a lot about what kind of sonar suite you have, which can reveal a lot about what kind of platform you are. In the basic context of the original question, it's giving away information without any real gain.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Disinterested posted:

Book I have cites: Soviet numbers in Mawdsley Thunder in the East; German numbers Stahel Kiev 1941.

Hmmm, its strange. Out of curiosity I checked the wikipedia page (yeah yeah) and they report the same number of German guns, but a drastically low number of German planes (less than half Kirchubel's number!). The Russian plane total is also different.

Does Kirchubel lean one way or the other? I'm curious as to what he based his numbers on.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmm, its strange. Out of curiosity I checked the wikipedia page (yeah yeah) and they report the same number of German guns, but a drastically low number of German planes (less than half Kirchubel's number!). The Russian plane total is also different.

Does Kirchubel lean one way or the other? I'm curious as to what he based his numbers on.

The indication is these are the official Soviet numbers which Russian historians subsequently ran with that produced the overly high tank and artillery figures.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when gustavus adolphus died, montecuccoli was heartbroken and wrote an ode in his honor

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, it says "THERE IS A BOAT ON BEARING X" which is fairly precise even if you don't know the distance.

hogmartin posted:

Fair point, but if you know the bearing, you can start concentrating on that particular bearing. All the target motion analysis stuff you have to do afterwards is the same stuff you'd have to do if it wasn't going active. Going active just announces "here's an interesting thing that can't see you yet, go ahead and investigate, track, avoid, or destroy it".

e: also like bewbies mentioned earlier, active emissions can reveal a lot about what kind of sonar suite you have, which can reveal a lot about what kind of platform you are. In the basic context of the original question, it's giving away information without any real gain.

Oh yeah, it doesn't fundamentally alter the calculus of what's happening, I just wanted to make a mostly pedantic point about ranging. Submarine ranging is cool in general, in that you can never really know how distant a target is from a single short observation. Although I guess now that I think about it, that's most every non-active ranging method.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

PittTheElder posted:

Although I guess now that I think about it, that's most every non-active ranging method.

I dunno, split-image rangefinders were pretty good. For cameras at camera distances, anyway, not so much for battleship guns at 15+ miles; observing the fall of shot and correcting was A Thing before guided munitions made it easy (and still is--SOP for machine-gunners is still to walk the tracers onto the target, innit?)

Some direct-fire artillery even had a spotting gun -- a single-shot .50 with a reduced load behind a tracer to match the ballistics of the big shell, so you could check your aim before shooting the real one. Do I need to post the story of "The first five minutes of Patton" again?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Never realized just how bloody BIG the Typhoons were (are, whatever tense you care for).

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HEY GAL posted:

when gustavus adolphus died, montecuccoli was heartbroken and wrote an ode in his honor

Are you handling the internal conflict alright?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

It's kind of unfair to pick on the QH-50 too much because it was designed to be very small, very cheap, and consequently had the accident rate you'd expect from a drone helicopter from 1960 that didn't have much in the way of redundant systems. Much as the joke goes that interceptors are the first stage of a two stage SAM, those were expendable like the first stage of a two stage long range depth charge, and it's a bit hard to judge the ROI on a system that provides a capability that otherwise wouldn't be there. They did do some interesting stuff with them with television cameras to spot artillery and do recon for their ships, as well.

Sorry to dredge this up from two pages ago, but I worded the second question poorly, I think. At what point did drones/RPAs stop being a neat little tool useful for one or two tasks and start turning into the worldbeaters they're growing into? Sometime in the late 90s, maybe? Do cruise missiles count as advanced traditional munitions or single-use drones?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, I'm getting this from a book I'm reading, which translates redditor lvcis aeternae as "The restorer of eternal light".

Nah you're quite right, I stand corrected - http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aalphabetic+letter%3DR%3Aentry+group%3D8%3Aentry%3Dreddo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pontius Pilate posted:

Are you handling the internal conflict alright?
having good enemies is important. "an enemy that i could have a beer with."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
One of my wall mounted shelves is starting to resemble stereotypical university stacks. I think I should stop buying (physical books) for a while.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

One of my wall mounted shelves is starting to resemble stereotypical university stacks. I think I should stop buying (physical books) for a while.

I moved to an all e-book setup for exactly this reason, i only have a large book of fighter plane pictures left as a physical copy. Though being able to abuse my academic access to get PDF scans of interesting books does help with that, though for my area of enthusiasm most books are available in ebook format.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 1, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sadly I'd miss the self satisfaction of looking at huge 400 page tomes and smugly nodding to myself 'yes, I read all that....and remember almost over half of it!'.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

having good enemies is important. "an enemy that i could have a beer with."

The George W Bush of enemies

Does this mean that nobody thought Wallenstein was a good enemy, or did he actually have people who would have willingly drunk a beer with him

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

Does this mean that nobody thought Wallenstein was a good enemy, or did he actually have people who would have willingly drunk a beer with him
the people who hate him hate him worse that anything, but there were people all across the empire on both sides with whom he was in constant contact through letters and poo poo.

von arnim is probably the most friendly of his enemies, because they had been friends before Saxony changed sides.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Georg_von_Arnim-Boitzenburg
quit in protest when wallenstein was fired (the first time), that's loyalty

people tended to either be fanatically loyal to him or want him dead. sometimes both at different stages of their lives, like piccolomini, gallas, and diodati.

edit: waitaminute, are you saying you wouldn't have a beer with him?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 1, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sadly I'd miss the self satisfaction of looking at huge 400 page tomes and smugly nodding to myself 'yes, I read all that....and remember almost over half of it!'.

Personally I also find it much easier to work with a physical book when I'm writing. Sticky notes on parts in referencing and marginalia are still faster for me than bookmarking and highlighting a pdf.

That's not even getting into issues of screen real estate. gently caress I use that like crazy. Two monitors and in looking into being able to do three on my next writing setup.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Personally I also find it much easier to work with a physical book when I'm writing. Sticky notes on parts in referencing and marginalia are still faster for me than bookmarking and highlighting a pdf.

That's not even getting into issues of screen real estate. gently caress I use that like crazy. Two monitors and in looking into being able to do three on my next writing setup.

Work expands to fill screen space available. If you have three monitors you'll still have at least one open book in your lap and another face down next to the keyboard.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
GBS has a thread What's your favorite published study?

There was a mention about a study that said that European queens waged more wars than kings:

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/01/european-queens-waged-more-wars-than-kings.html

http://odube.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Queens_Oct2015.pdf

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
good :getin:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

I'd like to see a study about who chartered more towns.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Viapori is always worth a visit on a sunny day. Never lost a battle, only surrendered once!

On the island there's also a WW2 sub that you can walk through (it's as cramped as you can expect with a dozen other filthy visitors)

Oh and there's also the war museum in the same location

Yeah, this would have been my suggestion also. That submarine, Vesikko, was part of the secret rebuilding of the German Navy, the Reichsmarine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_submarine_Vesikko

Viapori also a replica gun sloop Diana:

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/tapahtumat/tykkisluupin-yleisokierrokset/

I wonder why they have a Savonian flag there? Maybe the marines are Savonians.

More about the Swedish Archipelago Fleet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archipelago_fleet

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 1, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

edit: waitaminute, are you saying you wouldn't have a beer with him?

I'd be worried that he'd start getting really angry about my shoes and then send me 20 letters a day about it for the rest of my life

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Point of order: was Christina a king or a queen?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Work expands to fill screen space available. If you have three monitors you'll still have at least one open book in your lap and another face down next to the keyboard.

Its true, i moved from working on a laptop with one screen to a pair of 27 inch monitors and my tablet still sits on my desk to give me more screens.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

I have two 27" 2560x1440s flanking a 34" 3440x1440, and I use my surface in my lap a decent amount. My screen real estate is wider than I am tall.

Also as a general thing ultrawide monitors are awesome.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The best thing of all is one of those stands that holds the book up and open at a certain page so you can furiously copy down something when you need to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Disinterested posted:

The best thing of all is one of those stands that holds the book up and open at a certain page so you can furiously copy down something when you need to.

It's all about the mini sex wedge foam archive blocks and a few weights to hold poo poo open.

Not really. Mostly I wanted to express my opinion of what I think those are used for after hours. The ones in Weimar were NASTY.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I love their offered explanation for why that would be the case too. Division of labor, where they have their husbands manage the household and estate while the Queen gets poo poo done. Shame this couldn't have come out in the 50s, people would have flipped out.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

I'd be worried that he'd start getting really angry about my shoes and then send me 20 letters a day about it for the rest of my life

Somebody has to think about these things. And think, and think, and think...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PittTheElder posted:

I love their offered explanation for why that would be the case too. Division of labor, where they have their husbands manage the household and estate while the Queen gets poo poo done. Shame this couldn't have come out in the 50s, people would have flipped out.

I kinda figure in a macho culture, having a queen would seem to be a sort of weakness, so successful queens had to be all "the gently caress you say" to any and all who tried to mess with them

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also that. A (very rational) Josephine complex, if you will.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

Somebody has to think about these things. And think, and think, and think...

I think the Swedish army still has a designated cobbler in every platoon. Shoes are important, yo.

The WWI German army had mobile cobbling wagons so they could fix shoes without stopping. Didn't stop soldier's shoes falling apart anyway, turns out trying to march the long way to Paris in a matter of weeks is pretty bad for your feet, who knew?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus if you stash your older e-books on DVD or pendrive it is just so much easier to pick a nearby book up and just thumb through.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I kinda figure in a macho culture, having a queen would seem to be a sort of weakness, so successful queens had to be all "the gently caress you say" to any and all who tried to mess with them

During the Napoleonic Wars, the Prussian Queen had more guts than the king.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, this would have been my suggestion also. That submarine, Vesikko, was part of the secret rebuilding of the German Navy, the Reichsmarine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_submarine_Vesikko

Viapori also a replica gun sloop Diana:

By the way there's also a toy museum if you're into that sort of thing, it's small but very interesting in how children's toys and games have reflected their eras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04aEE_hYf_o

http://lelumuseo.fi/

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

This boat is awesome, I want one.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

By the way there's also a toy museum if you're into that sort of thing, it's small but very interesting in how children's toys and games have reflected their eras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04aEE_hYf_o

http://lelumuseo.fi/

yeah, they even have hitler dolls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

I think the Swedish army still has a designated cobbler in every platoon. Shoes are important, yo.

The WWI German army had mobile cobbling wagons so they could fix shoes without stopping. Didn't stop soldier's shoes falling apart anyway, turns out trying to march the long way to Paris in a matter of weeks is pretty bad for your feet, who knew?
this is probably a thing that someone other than the imperial generalissimo, admiral of the baltic, lord of this, lord of that, etc, should be taking care of !