Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Marx Bros. set might be higher because Universal did full 4K restorations on all five films. I would have expected it for at least Duck Soup, but they really went all out. Also, Animal Crackers is the uncut pre-code version that's never been on video or even TV before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

the uncut pre-code version that's never been on video or even TV before.

in which Harpo whips it out

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber's rep on Blu-Ray.com confirmed the Paramount/Republic license is only for titles that will be new to Region 1/A disc release (stuff not released since VHS/laserdisc). Among the licenses are serials from the Republic library.

Also, Warner Bros. is releasing a 7-film Police Academy set on Oct. 4.

I just hope we get a 7.1 surround sound mix on those films so we can really hear the nuances of that one guy who makes funny sounds.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Rusty Staub posted:

in which Harpo whips it out

I think all the restored bits are Groucho one-liners directed at Margaret Dumont

You'd be surprised by some of these pre-code movies, though.

CPL593H posted:

I just hope we get a 7.1 surround sound mix on those films so we can really hear the nuances of that one guy who makes funny sounds.

In all honesty, Universal's restorations of the classic monster films are amazing. If you're used to the 1931 Dracula being creaky, the Blu-Ray is a revelation. They're doing some amazing work now. The 4K restored Vertigo has a totally new 5.1 mix that blows away the fake-sounding track on previous DVDs. It actually sounds like a stereo film from the time period.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

This but unironically

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Zeppo?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$59.99 - Miami Vice: The Complete Series https://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-T...65062f72e7db230

$59.99 - Knight Rider: The Complete Series https://www.amazon.com/Knight-Rider...fc201f15ee66b3d

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Marx Brothers boxset is down to $49.99 if you have to have it first day.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Marx-Bro...0a997b7d871078e

Now $43.27

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

https://severin-films.com/hurry-blow-sale-5-severin-classics-available-now-til-thursday/

quote:

Attention Severin fans! Our rights are expiring for PSYCHOMANIA (DVD), THE BABY (DVD & Blu-ray), BLOODY BIRTHDAY (DVD & Blu-ray), HORROR EXPRESS (Blu-ray/DVD combo) and HOUSE OF SEVEN CORPSES (Blu-ray/DVD combo) very soon! This Thursday, in fact. So, we need to do a little bit of house cleaning and clear as much product out as possible.

We’ll have two bundle listings available. There will be a Pick 3 for $20 and an All 5 for $30. PLEASE make sure you signify which movies you want in the COMMENTS SECTION upon checkout for the Pick 3. Make sure to specify Blu-ray or DVD for either bundle in the COMMENTS SECTION UPON CHECKOUT.

You can also buy ANY of these titles individually for $10.

I have Horror Express (which is a legit genre masterpiece) and House of Seven Corpses, but can't pass on the others, especially at those prices. One of my favorite labels.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Anyone know what the deal is with the Friday the 13th box set being OOP? I remember a year or two ago it was like $80, now its like $300. Kicking myself for not grabbing it back then. Any chance of them making more before halloween, or doing another box set, etc.? And why did it even go OOP in the first place?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the rights changed and that's why.

codyclarke posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Friday the 13th box set being OOP? I remember a year or two ago it was like $80, now its like $300. Kicking myself for not grabbing it back then. Any chance of them making more before halloween, or doing another box set, etc.? And why did it even go OOP in the first place?

Warner had the rights for a 3-year period that ended last year. I don't see any information about who owns them now. It might just be that they think it's not worth the money to keep doing pressings of it. The same thing happened with Zodiac, which was out of print for a number of years and going for crazy ebay prices.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Guess what movie is being remastered in 4K.

Go on.

Guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Egbert Souse posted:

Go on.

Guess.

Why?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Finally. The way it was meant to be seen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope he uses the video source rather than the film source as the master.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Go on.

Guess.

I'm still waiting on my 3D re-release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm still waiting on my 3D re-release.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Man, what the hell happened with Scream Factory's release of Body Bags? I thought I blew out my speakers since the blu-ray.com review didn't mention anything about audio issues... but apparently it just sounds like total garbage? Ended up returning my copy and watching it on youtube instead.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I think the rights changed and that's why.

Warner had the rights for a 3-year period that ended last year. I don't see any information about who owns them now. It might just be that they think it's not worth the money to keep doing pressings of it. The same thing happened with Zodiac, which was out of print for a number of years and going for crazy ebay prices.

Paramount got all of the rights back to the series in exchange for Warners getting in on Interstellar. Paramount's response was to date a new F13 film, which since then has been pushed back again and again and only recently got a director attached. They might be working on their own set or trying to license/buy the Warner remasters for use in one... that'll come out as part of promotion for the new one. So it goes.

Paramount also got the right to distribute a new South Park movie from that deal.

WB really wants to always be in the Nolan business.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films is releasing Powell & Pressburger's One of Our Aircraft is Missing and Abel Gance's J'accuse (sound remake) in November.

Kino is releasing one of Preston Sturges' last films, The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend on Nov. 1.

Kino also confirmed their first Republic serial release is Daredevils of the Red Circle.

Shout! Factory has new 4K remasters of Bruce Lee movies, The Chinese Connection and Fists of Fury.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ultraviolence123 posted:

https://severin-films.com/hurry-blow-sale-5-severin-classics-available-now-til-thursday/

I have Horror Express (which is a legit genre masterpiece) and House of Seven Corpses, but can't pass on the others, especially at those prices. One of my favorite labels.

Thanks for this, I've been meaning to pick up Horror Express for a long time. Got the 5-pack, I couldn't turn down a deal like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Daveski posted:

Thanks for this, I've been meaning to pick up Horror Express for a long time. Got the 5-pack, I couldn't turn down a deal like that.

The HD remaster is on Amazon Prime through their Shudder add-on, and its like a completely different movie. I had seen it years ago in some lovely low-res format that was super dark and I could barely see anything. Turns out the movie is really excellent once you can actually watch it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

codyclarke posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Friday the 13th box set being OOP? I remember a year or two ago it was like $80, now its like $300.
Goddamn. A year ago I treated myself to an 80s horror set and it was between Freddy and Jason.

Should have gone with Jason. :cry:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn. A year ago I treated myself to an 80s horror set and it was between Freddy and Jason.

Should have gone with Jason. :cry:

The real horror of Freddy versus Jason.

Whoever wins, we lose.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've never seen the Jason set for cheap. I think the lowest I've seen it is about $150 or so. Meanwhile, the Freddy collection is still usually less than $30.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Part of the reason the Jason set is so expensive might be because 7-9 are otherwise totally impossible to get on Blu-Ray. There's double-feature packs that go up to 6 and then pick up from X, but even those are OOP other than the 1/2 pack.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'v got the Friday bluray set and while it's nice to have, it is only the R-rated cuts. Jason Goes to Hell doesn't have much going for it anyways, once you take out the awesome gore fx, it's DOA

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

I'v got the Friday bluray set and while it's nice to have, it is only the R-rated cuts. Jason Goes to Hell doesn't have much going for it anyways, once you take out the awesome gore fx, it's DOA

I forgot what the conversation was and thought your first sentence was in reference to the Ice Cube movies.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

you got HACKED the gently caress up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Definitely brings a new meaning to "bye Felicia"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Friday X

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Unmature posted:

I forgot what the conversation was and thought your first sentence was in reference to the Ice Cube movies.

The thought of Deebo in a hockey mask is horrifying.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I missed all the oop expensive horror blus so I'm jumping on the 4K horror stuff early whenever it comes around

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not surprising, but The Iron Giant looks absolutely amazing on Blu-Ray.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I had completely forgotten I even preordered it until I got the shipping notification this morning.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pulled the trigger on the Sony S-5200 all-region player. $109 for a refurb.

Ended up ordering from Amazon UK MoC's Man with a Movie Camera/Vertov set, BFI's Napoleon (pre-order), and BFI's Kenneth Anger set.

I was also surprised to find that the UK branch of Disney doesn't do the vault bullshit, so there's a bunch of titles OOP in the US that are a decent price there. It's vague whether they're region locked or not, but Fantasia, Peter Pan, Bambi, and Pinocchio are all cheap.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films is releasing Orson Welles' Macbeth as a remastered "Signature" edition on Nov. 15...

NEW High-Definition digital restoration
Includes 1948 and 1950 versions
Audio Commentary with Welles biographer Joseph McBride
"Welles and Shakespeare" - an interview with Welles expert, Professor Michael Anderegg
"Adapting Shakespeare on Film" - a conversation with directors Carlo Carlei (Romeo & Juliet) and Billy Morrissette (Scotland, PA)
Excerpt from We Work Again, a 1937 WPA documentary containing scenes from Welles' Federal Theatre Project production of Macbeth
"That Was Orson Welles" - an interview with Welles' close friend and co-author, Peter Bogdanovich
"Restoring Macbeth" - an interview with former UCLA Film & Television Archive Preservation Officer Bob Gitt
"Free Republic: The Story of Herbert J. Yates and Republic Pictures"
"The Two Macbeths" - an essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum

The previous Olive release was completely bare-bones, but a good HD remaster.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Olive (or somebody) better reissue Eat Drink Man Woman with some special features.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$4.99 - Kingdom Of Heaven: Ultimate Edition https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-of-H...740d9c36d669494

$4.99 - Master & Commander (+ UV code) https://www.amazon.com/Master-and-C...165599a48d70833

$11.99 - Stir Crazy/The Toy/See No Evil, Hear No Evil https://www.amazon.com/Richard-Pryo...803e446ab7eb844

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 8, 2016

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Finding Dory announced for November 15

Blu-ray preorder - http://amzn.to/2c3CfVe

Blu-ray 3D preorder - http://amzn.to/2c3BRWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Arrow is releasing more great schlock in December.

Hell Comes to Frog Town and The Guyver, are highlights.

• Locked thread