Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasure bear

this is my food blog now

tomato and mascarpone pasta bake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

I made that kenji recipe for mojo pork from a few weeks back.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/cuban-roast-pork-shoulder-mojo-recipe.html

Seemed like a fun way meal to do. The process is surprisingly easy, it just takes a lot of time. You get like 6-7 pounds of pork shoulder, and the stuff for the marinade. You keep a portion of the marinade for a sauce later but the rest goes on the thing. Tons of minced garlic, some cumin, ground black papper, fresh oregano, oranges juice & lime juice or just sour orange juice if you can get it, salt and olive oil for the marinade. You put the pork shoulder in the bag and rub that all over the thing. Let it marinade for at least 3 hours.

You then follow the directions and roasting it at low temperature while occasionally basting for like six hours.

It develops a beautiful color as it roasts, and smells amazing.

We were house sitting so didn't have most of our cooking stuff. Unfortunately we didn't have a very good bread type for cubanos but they still ended up great after being toasted up in a press. (all pictures of toasted sandwiches were blurry, sorry).

For the sauce, you need to transfer the pan drippings to a container and mix in the reserved portion of the marinade, then let it cool, and remove the fat from the top. There'll be a lot of it.

Seperate it into about half-pound bags and vacuum seal and freeze it if there's no chance you will finish it before it goes bad, but it makes really good pork, especially with the sauce.

The next day I made rough omelets with jalapeño slices, avocado, mojo pork garlic and some of the sauce, they were really good.

deep dish peat moss

I always get a little creative with guacs but this southwestern curry guac was ruined by amateurishly underripe avocados

e: Actually it's pretty good but underripe avocados always remind me of restaurant guac

deep dish peat moss

security drone cubanos are always good, even without the best bread. I grew up on fake cuban food I could eat it everyday.

deep dish peat moss

I don't make food often but I always get really in to it when I do so I'm thimking about going to culinary school

joke_explainer

Shakill OReal posted:

I don't make food often but I always get really in to it when I do so I'm thimking about going to culinary school

No

If you love cooking don't go to school for it or get a job in it... Work is the death of enthusiasm and passion. Maybe om nom nom has a differing opinion but I feel like everybody who went this route ended up jaded about it

But if that doesn't scare you away you already know you are going to do it anyway so good luck

deep dish peat moss

I hate work no matter what I do, I've never had a real passion for cooking it's just something I don't hate to do. And the well is running dry for like, possible realistic career goals that don't depress me. Culinary school sounds like a reasonable way to get the experience I need for a change of career and a good thing to have under my belt to do something like open my own overnight diner or something one day. I've never had a job that wasn't an office job and I want something else. And also the real reason is so I could whip up bomb dinners for girls and then convince one to let me be a stay-at-home dad

treasure bear

i dont eat much fish, so i've never cooked salmon but today i gave it a go

i put it scales down on an oiled backing tray and salt, pepper and whole grain mustard on the top and then in the oven

then i seared it a bit and it was nice

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Have you tried it in buttery milk?

alnilam

treasure bear posted:

i dont eat much fish, so i've never cooked salmon
\

i call bullshit

ty manifisto

treasure bear

i mainly eat pudding from the trash

treasure bear fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 14, 2016

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

\

i call bullshit

joke_explainer

mister magpie posted:

Have you tried it in buttery milk?

treasure bear posted:

i mainly eat pudding from the trash

lol

I love the good eats broiled salmon. Both recipes are great but the one with whole cumin, coriander, and fennel, toasting it and the grinding it an emulsifying with canola oil, then you cover the salmon with it and put it under the broiler. So tasty.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-salmon-with-abs-spice-pomade-recipe.html

treasure bear

my agents have retrieved some mojo rojo from the canary islands

im looking forward to eating it with spanish omletes and canarian potatos, which are potatos boiled dry in really salty water.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Hello friends.

I bought about a hundred peaches this summer. My mom and I turned them into peach cobbler, peach crisp, canned peach preserves, and a few things too horrible to mention. We also froze about half of them to use in baked goods and smoothies all year long. I am now looking forward to Ohio apple season.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

Hello friends.

I bought about a hundred peaches this summer. My mom and I turned them into peach cobbler, peach crisp, canned peach preserves, and a few things too horrible to mention. We also froze about half of them to use in baked goods and smoothies all year long. I am now looking forward to Ohio apple season.

*to self, in a quiet, wistful voice, as if remembering a happier time* millions of peaches... peaches, for me

joke_explainer

I made ribs last week as a special meal for my friends who were visiting. I was so busy with the whole process that I did not take many photos, and didn't even think to until we had already started eating, so I just snapped the most intact plate we had, sorry it's not the prettiest plating in the world. I didn't make the sides, they were just a vinegary potato salad and some kale w/ red onions and red wine.

Still got 12 ribs vacuumed sealed in packs of for in the freezer for future meals. Smoked meat is amazing to add to a lot of dishes.

I had a bunch of the homemade barbecue sauce leftover afterwards so this weekend I decided to smoke some chicken just because chicken is cheap and figured it wouldn't be too difficult. Normally I would have butterflied it, but they only had these really tiny chickens, so I figured it'd probably be okay and the speed with which a tiny chicken butterflied would cook wouldn't be suited to barbecue. I basically followed the rib protocol: night before I rubbed the dry rub on it, let it sit in the fridge. Rub was salt, pepper, paprika, chile powder, lots of other stuff.

Once the color was right, I sprayed it with some apple juice, then started coating them with BBQ sauce. The sauce had some browned onions, apricot preserves, pepper jelly, honey, worcestershire sauce, and a bunch of other stuff. I added more of a hot sauce I really like called 'Thai True' made locally here, it's a very spicy sri racha, doesn't taste anything like rooster sauce.

Lacquered it with bbq sauce in several layers and let it cook up. The smoker was set to about 225. I think it was mainly hickory in there. I just used what wood I had laying around from lots of little smoking experiments, so it was a mix.

Once the breast was 155 fahrenheit with a thermapen, I took them out and let them rest. They ended up looking great and tasting really good too. Total cook time was like 4 hours at 225/250.

joke_explainer

does bbq just not count as fine dining or something... sorry...

darkarchon

My name is a trolling word
darkarchons perfect sushi recipe

ingredients for a big sushi menu for 2 people (5 maki rolls, whatever is left over for nigiri)
- 400g sushi rice
- 250g fresh salmon filet
- 5 nori (algae leafes for sushi)
- mat to roll maki on however the gently caress its called
- rice vinegar
- sugar
- salt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- wasabi paste or powder or better, real wasabi

step 1: rice
1. weigh 400g of sushi rice
2. put into a bowl
3. wash the rice thoroughly
4. fill bowl with water and wash rice until water stays clean (can take up to 20 times of washing, this step is very important)
5. put 500ml of water in a pot, put rice into the same pot
6. heat until water boils, let boil for 3 minutes on the highest setting
7. close pot and set heat to minimum for another 11-12 minutes
8. stir sometimes to not have the rice burn at the bottom
9. put rice in a bowl and be glad of it

step 2: rice seasoning
1. take 3.5 tablespoons of sugar and put it in a pot
2. take 3.5 tablespoons of rice vinegar and put it in the same pot
3. take 2 teaspoons of salt and also put it in the pot
4. heat slowly and stir throughout (it stinks like hell though)
5. continue heating and stirring until the sugar and salt dissolves in the vinegar
6. when you think its enough mix it with the rice
7. keep mixing the rice to let it cool down, when you can't mix it anymore because it's too gluey just put a wet towel over the rice bowl and let it stay

step 3: rest of ingredients
1. take a very sharp knife (literally sharp omg you can't cut fish with a dumb knife ok)
2. cut salmon in slices
3. cut bell pepper in slices
4. cut cucumber in slices
5. cut avocado in slices
6. don't forget to wash the pepper and cucumber ffs
7. use a nori to determine the length of the ingredients you need for each maki roll
8. cut the ingredients to size to have enough for 5 rolls (so 5 slices of cucumber, how much ever is needed for the pepper and avocado as well)
9. take the salmon slices and cut them in half or whatever and also put them next to the ingredients to have everything for the maki you should have around 10-12 slices of salmon left afterwards for the nigiri
10. put the rest of the salmon into the refrigerator
11. prepare wasabi if necessary

:frogsiren: ONLY EAT LEFTOVERS :frogsiren:

step 4: roll that poo poo
1. rice should have cooled down by now
2. fill a bowl with water and put some rice vinegar in it (to wash your hands inbetween rolling maki because the rice is loving sticky pls just use the bowl it won't stick)
3. take the sushi mat and put a nori on top of it
4. fill the nori to 2/3ths evenly with a thin layer of rice
5. put a thin layer of wasabi at the center
6. put ingredients for one maki roll in the center
7. roll and seal with the rice vinegar water, cut off leftover nori
8. cut nori into pieces evenly, distribute evenly on two plates, use vinegar water to clean the knife
9. go to step 3 and repeat until you have the 5 maki rolled and cut
10. take the rest of the rice and form a ball
11. cut the ball in half
12. use one half to create small nigiri balls/rolls for the amount of salmon you have left
13. put some wasabi on the nigiri
14. put salmon on the nigiri
15. go to step 12 until all nigiri are done

bon appetite

ETA for first time making: ~3h or more
ETA when somewhat skilled: 2h or so

alnilam

woah i just had sushi nite too

e: veggie sushi in my case but still

treasure bear

joke_explainer posted:

does bbq just not count as fine dining or something... sorry...

it looks good but i think when people see food they might think yummo but not think its worth saying yummo in the effort post fun house if they have nothing to add

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom

joke_explainer posted:

I made ribs last week as a special meal for my friends who were visiting. I was so busy with the whole process that I did not take many photos, and didn't even think to until we had already started eating, so I just snapped the most intact plate we had, sorry it's not the prettiest plating in the world. I didn't make the sides, they were just a vinegary potato salad and some kale w/ red onions and red wine.

Still got 12 ribs vacuumed sealed in packs of for in the freezer for future meals. Smoked meat is amazing to add to a lot of dishes.

I had a bunch of the homemade barbecue sauce leftover afterwards so this weekend I decided to smoke some chicken just because chicken is cheap and figured it wouldn't be too difficult. Normally I would have butterflied it, but they only had these really tiny chickens, so I figured it'd probably be okay and the speed with which a tiny chicken butterflied would cook wouldn't be suited to barbecue. I basically followed the rib protocol: night before I rubbed the dry rub on it, let it sit in the fridge. Rub was salt, pepper, paprika, chile powder, lots of other stuff.

Once the color was right, I sprayed it with some apple juice, then started coating them with BBQ sauce. The sauce had some browned onions, apricot preserves, pepper jelly, honey, worcestershire sauce, and a bunch of other stuff. I added more of a hot sauce I really like called 'Thai True' made locally here, it's a very spicy sri racha, doesn't taste anything like rooster sauce.

Lacquered it with bbq sauce in several layers and let it cook up. The smoker was set to about 225. I think it was mainly hickory in there. I just used what wood I had laying around from lots of little smoking experiments, so it was a mix.

Once the breast was 155 fahrenheit with a thermapen, I took them out and let them rest. They ended up looking great and tasting really good too. Total cook time was like 4 hours at 225/250.

Looks yummo

joke_explainer

thank you. I was starting to worry it was grossing people out and the general population had turned away from bbq while I was working on getting better at it...

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

thank you. I was starting to worry it was grossing people out and the general population had turned away from bbq while I was working on getting better at it...

i love bbq and it looked delicious, a classic roadside mom and pop bbq shack is often fresher and better tasting food than you'll find in some fancy restaurants

Music Theory

My current standard of fine dining is sauteed spinach and while that is good I would like to take my fine dining to a place that isn't 100% sauteed spinach. What should I make that only involves a frying pan and/or a pot?

joke_explainer

Music Theory posted:

My current standard of fine dining is sauteed spinach and while that is good I would like to take my fine dining to a place that isn't 100% sauteed spinach. What should I make that only involves a frying pan and/or a pot?

Just sautéing spinach is as far as you'll go right now? You have a lot of things you can do with that fry pan and pot. Assuming you also have a knife.

Let's talk about alliums. These aromatic, flowering bulbs have been specifically cultivated for a variety of applications in human food. Onions, garlic, scallions, shallots and leeks are all genus Allium. They get intensely flavorful thanks to cysteine sulfoxides in the flesh accumulating sulfur from the soil within the cells of the plant. We've honed the way different species do that for specific traits we like. For first-step sautéing, I think we should start with just your plain old onion. Probably 30% of everything you do with that frying pan will involve onions. Slicing and chopping onions is something anyone who cooks regularly will do thousands and thousands of times over their lifetime.

These are yellow onions. Learn to recognize them at the store. They're probably your cheapest onions, about the size of a softball to the size of a baseball depending. Pick onions that are nice and firm, especially around the basal plate. Here's basic onion anatomy:

You can see the inside of the onion has this weird shell thing going on. Each layer of onion wraps around the next, like... well, the typical analogy is 'layers of an onion' but that's kind of tautological here.

So once you pick out a firm fleshed onion that looks good, go home with it and then we'll get to chopping it up Here's more JPEGs

Okay, so look around your kitchen until you find one of these or something roughly shaped like it:

Now, remove the skin (tunic) of the onion. This dried outer layer protects the interior layers. It's very easy to remove, use the knife or just pull it away from the basal plate. Now probably the easiest thing to do is just a simple dice, and a medium-sized dice is what you want for sautéing a bunch of spinach or whatever. The finer you dice, the less noticeable the chunks of onions will be in the end product, but the more flavor the onions will impart on the dish as a whole. For some spinach, some nice size chunks of onion sound good so I say lets go for like a medium dice.

First cut the now-tunic-removed onion in half directly through the basal root. Set one half aside.

Trim the end of the onion slightly just to square it off if need be. Normally only a problem with older onions.

Lay the onion down so the flat part (that you just cut) is laying down against your cutting board.

Press gently on the top of the onion with your non-dominant hand, and make slices parallel to your cutting board from the side opposite of the basal root. (So if you're right handed, put the basal root facing left, then slide from right to left.) Start at the bottom and put a slice up toward the root every half inch or so. (If you want to do a finer dice, just make the space between these cuts smaller). You do not want to cut all the way through the onion here, just all the way to the basal plate but not far enough that any parts of the onion start to come off. Takes some practice but you'll get it!

There should only be room for like 2 cuts this before you'd be well into hand territory, so stop before you reach the top of the onion.

Now turn the onion so the basal plate is facing away from you. Cut lengthwise, again not cutting through the basal plate, from the top of the onion to the bottom (but not through the side facing away from you!) so you're making still-attached ribbons of onion, in intervals based on how fine a dice you want. Maybe every 3/4th inch or so, just depends on how big chunks you want. End result should look like:

Except a yellow onion, obviously.

Depending on the relative sulfur content, you might be crying by now. Don't worry! That's normal and not indicative of any internal emotional distress. The same compounds that make onions so delicious can be an eye irritant to many.

See, as you slice open the onion, if your knife isn't sharp, you're cutting more or these little guys than you need to, mashing and distributing strong sulfur compounds into the air. So go get a knife sharp knife you dummy. Avoiding slicing the basal plate off unnecessarily seems to help some people too but I think that's just from keeping the onion in one place and carefully maneuvering it more than any magical properties of the basal plate.

Back to the cutting of the onion. Now that you have put slices through the onion parallel to the cutting board, and slices perpendicular through the onion lengthwise, it is ready to do most of the rest of the work for you with its natural structure. You can now basically hold the onion by the basal plate with your non-dominant hand while you start from the other end and slice about 3/4th of an inch lines completely through the the onion, running parallel to the basal plate. The natural segmentation of the onion + the cuts you put into the onion will result in beautifully equal pieces of onion ready for that sauté pan.

So then cut all the way to the root (keeping your hand out of the path of the knife! A sort of 'curled' grip is useful to make sure you can never cut yourself doing this, so the flat side of the knife will press into your hand before any blade does), and you have a well-diced onion. But what do you do now?

Well, there's a big variety of what you can do. But the most basic thing is just putting some oil in a pan, maybe like two tablespoons, and throwing the onion pieces in there after the pan is up to medium-hot heat. You'll be awarded immediately with a delicious aroma of cooking onions. Keep 'em moving around. After 5-7 minutes, the onions should be starting to turn a little transcluscent. Now if you want to up your spinach game, add that then. Now you have sautéed onions and spinach. Add some salt and pepper to the onions while you stir to season. Maybe throw some balsamic vinegar in there as you finish on the spinach. Go crazy.

You can do far more though. If you want to sit in front of the stove for like over an hour, you can caramelize onions to make amazing onions that look like this:

You can make french onion soup, which is an unbelievably delicious thing that really doesn't take that much skill to pull off. Just lots and lots of onions. Good for practicing your onion cutting (though it's a different method than what we do here.)

First off I recommend just trying out onions on that fry pan, then move on to shallots and garlic. Cuisine across many different cultures leans heavily on the onion. It's extremely ubiquitous and a great starting place for building your cooking skills.

joke_explainer

Also that's not the only way to do it. I know lots of people who chop both sides off and just keep it together by hand, or they do the lengthwise cuts first and then the parallel-to-cutting-board cuts. But its a good way to start chopping onions and not developing any bad habits about it. It is nice to work on a good, even dice. Makes everything cook at the same rate.

treasure bear

thank you onions

thank you joke explainer

alnilam

Even when i don't know what I'm making yet I'll start cutting up an onion cause obv it will only improve any savory dish

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

Even when i don't know what I'm making yet I'll start cutting up an onion cause obv it will only improve any savory dish

but what if you end up making ice cream... :ohdear:

actually I had some elephant garlic ice cream at an elephant garlic festival that was pretty dang good.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I love using chipotle peppers in adobo sauce as a cooking ingredient. However, they come in a can, and I can't use them all up in one recipe. What should I do to preserve the extra peppers in the opened can?

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

blaise rascal posted:

I love using chipotle peppers in adobo sauce as a cooking ingredient. However, they come in a can, and I can't use them all up in one recipe. What should I do to preserve the extra peppers in the opened can?

I use a whole little can when I make chili

the unabonger

joke_explainer posted:

but what if you end up making ice cream... :ohdear:

actually I had some elephant garlic ice cream at an elephant garlic festival that was pretty dang good.

Garlic ice cream is pretty good imo. I always get some at the gilroy garlic fest here.

fuck. marry. t-rex

i flunked out posted:

When you all fry eggs, what do you use to fry it? I've lmost always used bacon fat but I don't have any right now and was faced with the option of using oil or butter. I was thinkin about browning the butter a little then frying the egg in that.

Clarified butter typically

fuck. marry. t-rex

Think I responded to a post literally 20+ pages ago cuz I'm an idiot, carry on

joke_explainer

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Think I responded to a post literally 20+ pages ago cuz I'm an idiot, carry on

using clarified butter in anything is worth repeating

Music Theory

Dang! Thanks, I'll try that.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

Let's talk about alliums...

this is some amazing onion knowledge ty

today it is too windy to get out on the water but the wild concord grapes are finally ripe and perfect and so it is jelly making day

poverty goat

where would we be today without onions

i shudder to imagine

also im thinking about reprising the carmelized onion+goatcheese bread this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

well continue in my series of 'realizing I should have done more on my big bbq day', i'm making some bbq beans tonight. I roughly followed the 'best baked beans ever' recipe from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/best-barbecue-beans-recipe.html

soak your beans overnight. I used a mix of small red beans, pinto beans, and great northern beans.

first onion:

chop onion as directed a few posts ago:

get other things, in this case a jalapeno, some serrano, garlic, and a green bell pepper. I generally would have used bigger cloves of garlic but I was at the end of a bulb and didn't want to waste it.

cut the other things up. Man this jalapeno was big!

pick up some nice smokey bacon:

cook the bacon:

it's done when it looks like this:

remove the bacon and set aside on paper towels, then throw the onion into the bacon fat. don't drain the bacon fat. after about 7 minutes of cooking up those onions on medium/medium-high, depending on your burners, throw in the remainder of the stuff you diced or mined up.

Only let the garlic and other stuff sizzle for about a minute. Garlic burns very quickly. Pour some chicken stock in there.

Then your reserved water and beans.

I actually was making two pots, so the recipe is roughly halved in this pot. If you have an 8 qt or maybe even a 6 qt dutch oven, you could do it all in one easy.

At this stage, let it come to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. Let it sit there for about an hour. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Make a BBQ sauce. This one was just ketchup, mustard, adobo sauce, smoked jalapeno (chipotle) dried pepper ground, cayenne pepper, mustard, molasses, honey, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, and a bunch of hot sauce and some worcestershire, and eventually some dark brown sugar and turbinado sugar.

Added the turbinado sugar just so it'd be a little sweeter.

okay hour is up. I have like 6 pounds of smoked ribs in my freezer so I dethawed one bag of four and put two ribs in each pot, and the sauce.

And now they are in the oven at 300 for 4 hours. Supposedly after 4 hours, you take the cover off and let it cook down, concentrate, and generate those pleasant Maillard reactions from the top of the dish. we'll see! I currently have like 2.5 more hours of waiting on beans.