Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

lite_sleepr posted:

gently caress ugs's. Fextralife says Crieghtons ax can be buffed and infused

The Dragonslayer's Axe can be infused, and should be, but you can get most of what you're looking for out of a Raw infusion without needing to invest stats. A Raw DA has an AR of 472 with base stats, while a Sharp DA with 40 Dex has an AR of 493. That's 26 levels to gain 21 AR. If you're going to level Dex anyway, then Sharp is what you want, but you can easily live without it if you want to focus on faith. Don't make the DA Lightning, though, because it ruins the phys damage so heavily that 's much weaker overall. The Axe and Lightning Blade are the most reliable sources of lightning damage in the game, just remember that some bosses are strong against lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I decided to use a raw DA, and gave myself enough STR/DEX to use it. The rest of my points went into enough FTH to use lightning blade and stake, and END and VIG. Soon I'll have my life bar at 40'' across my TV screen and enough endurance to roll six times and swing my axe six times.

Need to find good looking armor to go with the ax though. So far the Norther armor and wargod great shield looks pretty :black101:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't know how many of you are sad enough to spend as much time as I do watching people play video games on the internet but did anyone notice that more LPers seemed to drop DS3 mid-playthrough than any other Souls game?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I also have a DS4 and using it in win10 via usb bluetooth adapter. The D-Pad is so much better than the xbox controller's, i don't think i'll ever go back. Using DS4windows too

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
DS4WINDOWS did not ever recognize my brand new dual shock controller on windows 10.1. What a poo poo piece of software.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
well there's your problem, you should've gone for the quadruple shock instead

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
All for the better. Xbox controllers are tanks and can stand my wrath in DS 1

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Hopping back into the game to do some PvP and I can't help but feel Ricard's Rapier seems to be doing less damage than I remember even buffed. I know that flame swathe adds less to the AR than CMW did, but I still felt like I was hitting harder before sidelining thrusting swords on my quality build in favor of the broadsword/Lothric knight sword. The unbuffed AR is still floating around 373 for the refined RR, so maybe I'm just coming up against more people wearing heavier gear. The loss of the normal R2/lunge and press continues to be a bummer though. Although, the R2 on both the broadsword and Lothric knight sword continue to catch people off guard in a big way. Guess they still just expect people to mash the R1. Also seem to be running into a lot more gank squads, but that also is probably just bad luck on my part.

Unrelated to pvp, anyone have suggestions on a "go to" punching weapons? Not super interested in the claws, but I was thinking that it might be fun to slug it out with people like in DS2.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Deified Data posted:

I don't know how many of you are sad enough to spend as much time as I do watching people play video games on the internet but did anyone notice that more LPers seemed to drop DS3 mid-playthrough than any other Souls game?

I don't watch non-speedrun playthroughs, but there's definitely much less overall content coming out compared to prior Souls games.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

lite_sleepr posted:

DS4WINDOWS did not ever recognize my brand new dual shock controller on windows 10.1. What a poo poo piece of software.
it's easy to set up and works on 8.1 and owns

though my ds4's battery has been dying lately

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 31, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Fire Barrel posted:

Unrelated to pvp, anyone have suggestions on a "go to" punching weapons? Not super interested in the claws, but I was thinking that it might be fun to slug it out with people like in DS2.

It's not. my Pugilist run was the most fun I had playing DS2 by FAR. The fist weapons SUCK in DS3. Unless requiring 5-6 hits to take down a low level mook is your thing. Aside from the Caestus, all you get is the fist you make from Old Demon King, and it's pretty underwhelming considering what it takes to get it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

My caestus build was fun but I built him like a tank and coopped with a friend. I enjoyed holding aggro and just perseverancing through the heavy hits while my buddy wailed on him with magic.

You're damage is pretty terrible, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's also two kinds of claws, which are both lovely as claws tend to be, and the dark hand, which is surprisingly good for how early you can get it but fades in the long run.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Trip report for full faith caster run. Don't do it, its loving awful and FROM is retarded for reversing the build diversity that came from DS2.

Highs of the trip were killing dumb invaders cause no one uses offensive miracles in PVP.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Trip report for full faith caster run. Don't do it, its loving awful and FROM is retarded for reversing the build diversity that came from DS2.

Highs of the trip were killing dumb invaders cause no one uses offensive miracles in PVP.

Faith caster is okay circa after defeating the final boss

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There are a surprising number of idiots who think they are fast enough to backstab you out of Divine Pillars of Light.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Azuth0667 posted:

Now I kind of want to do it, but I don't even know when you get any offensive miracles in the first half of the game.
Edit: Looks like the first offensive miracles besides Force are in either Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

HaB posted:

It's not. my Pugilist run was the most fun I had playing DS2 by FAR. The fist weapons SUCK in DS3. Unless requiring 5-6 hits to take down a low level mook is your thing. Aside from the Caestus, all you get is the fist you make from Old Demon King, and it's pretty underwhelming considering what it takes to get it.

Garrand posted:

My caestus build was fun but I built him like a tank and coopped with a friend. I enjoyed holding aggro and just perseverancing through the heavy hits while my buddy wailed on him with magic.

You're damage is pretty terrible, though.

That's too bad. I remember stripping down to nothing but a crown and punch people in SotFS. Especially good for people spamming acid cloud (the spell that broke your gear). After having this weird encounter in a duel where a person, not facing me, flashed, spun around, and stunlock punched me to death super quick I thought maybe I'd give it a go. Guess not.

Also, how terrible are we talking about with regards to damage?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Maleh-Vor posted:

Now I kind of want to do it, but I don't even know when you get any offensive miracles in the first half of the game.
Edit: Looks like the first offensive miracles besides Force are in either Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep.

A raw something or other will carry you far enough until you find some decent miracles.

Attempting this build now. I don't expect PVP success but it should be fun for PVE and co-op.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I use SCP driver on windows 7 because it lets me use both DS3 and 4 at the same time on the same bluetooth receiver. It's very barebones and can be a pain to set up but all the alternatives either don't support both controllers or are bloated and annoying. Can't really compare to a 360 controller because I haven't used one extensively but I do prefer the d-pad on playstation controllers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Fire Barrel posted:

That's too bad. I remember stripping down to nothing but a crown and punch people in SotFS. Especially good for people spamming acid cloud (the spell that broke your gear). After having this weird encounter in a duel where a person, not facing me, flashed, spun around, and stunlock punched me to death super quick I thought maybe I'd give it a go. Guess not.

Also, how terrible are we talking about with regards to damage?

It's still playable, don't get me wrong. If I'm careful I can solo most of the bosses. The horrendously short range means you have to be both really careful while staying in their face and the boss fights can take a long time.

To note; I actually did hit this kind of sweet spot once I got 30+ str and 30+ dex where, with the Skilled Caestus (refined gem I think) I could actually kill players relatively quickly. Noticeably, people who use big slow weapons were the easiest targets because I'd just face tank the first blow and then punch the poo poo out of them. However, fast weapons like straight swords and katanas are almost unkillable for me because I just can't get a hit in.

When I first started I thought the pontiff's eye rings would be perfect; the more hits the more damage, right? I'm punching a bunch in rapid succession. But apparently From normalized it like it's an MMO; the faster the weapon the more hits you have to do before it starts to take effect. I think with the caestus it's something like 10 hits before those rings start to work and it's almost impossible to actually get that many hits in without having to back off for a while. Really disappointing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Souls, more than any other series, is chock full of things that are awesome in theory but terrible in practice. It's intentional. It has to be.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How far can a RAW rear end carry me? I'm up to Carthus and so far it still seems pretty good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LmaoTheKid posted:

How far can a RAW rear end carry me? I'm up to Carthus and so far it still seems pretty good.

Literally the entire game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Literally the entire game.

I had to force myself to stop using it once i got into NG+ because it was still more useful than my sorceries.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

Builds are obsolete in the face of RAW rear end

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Garrand posted:

It's still playable, don't get me wrong. If I'm careful I can solo most of the bosses. The horrendously short range means you have to be both really careful while staying in their face and the boss fights can take a long time.

To note; I actually did hit this kind of sweet spot once I got 30+ str and 30+ dex where, with the Skilled Caestus (refined gem I think) I could actually kill players relatively quickly. Noticeably, people who use big slow weapons were the easiest targets because I'd just face tank the first blow and then punch the poo poo out of them. However, fast weapons like straight swords and katanas are almost unkillable for me because I just can't get a hit in.

When I first started I thought the pontiff's eye rings would be perfect; the more hits the more damage, right? I'm punching a bunch in rapid succession. But apparently From normalized it like it's an MMO; the faster the weapon the more hits you have to do before it starts to take effect. I think with the caestus it's something like 10 hits before those rings start to work and it's almost impossible to actually get that many hits in without having to back off for a while. Really disappointing.

That sucks. Guess I'll cross those weapons off the list along with great/ultra great weapons and twin swords.

Once I get back into the game a bit more seriously, I think I'll just try dusting off the old rapier and going back to a more dodge/parry oriented build than I currently am rolling with (which is effectively dodge/block). Might try sticking with the quality build though, since I like the versatility it offers more than I think I like CMW in DS3. Also, the refined RR does more base damage before buffing, so it's not that huge of a drop. And it served me quite well after replacing my normal rapier on my NG dex/int run where I was working with a simple parrying dagger/small shield + rapier for most of the game.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cool. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll pump FTh and do some cool stuff with that.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I can't pvp at all. I wanted some pale tougnes to respec, but literally everyone is cooping and you are tag teamed. That, or there are just some people who have this game down to a science. I wore the aldritch thing and found a guy wearing havels set with a katana. He didn't attack me at all. I nailed him with a max level BKG and only did about half health before he rolled away and chugged.

I even nailed hi with a backstab but it only did 400 damage. Dude just plodded around during in havels set and ignored me like the trash hollows at the Lothric wall.

Or pyros who can infinity spam huge fireball.

I just can't fight other players.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I can't pvp at all. I wanted some pale tougnes to respec, but literally everyone is cooping and you are tag teamed. That, or there are just some people who have this game down to a science. I wore the aldritch thing and found a guy wearing havels set with a katana. He didn't attack me at all. I nailed him with a max level BKG and only did about half health before he rolled away and chugged.

I even nailed hi with a backstab but it only did 400 damage. Dude just plodded around during in havels set and ignored me like the trash hollows at the Lothric wall.

Yeah, pvp in DS3 I think may be the toughest. While people harp on about R1 straight sword spam there are a number of weapons/moves and a few spells that are really nasty and surprisingly difficult to counter (moreso than the straight sword in my opinion). And the spells that do a good amount of damage, like the fire ball you're talking about, are real easy to spam. And avoiding backstabs in this can be tricky not only with some weird hit boxes in play, but occasionally bad net code. No real easy advice there.

Best way to get better at pvp is to just go to common duel areas, put your sign down, and do it that way. That way you don't need to worry about gank squads as often. It's how I learned to get marginally better at parrying players and timing R2s with various weapons. That experience makes invasions a bit easier.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

Don't worry, this is normal. Invade high mortality areas that are easy to lure hosts into monsters like Demon Ruins or Catacombs and let the level do its job. You're doing your's just by being there and putting them off their game. DS3 invasions are about being a nuisance as opposed to showcasing skill.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hi somebody tell me what we know about the DLC. Snow?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bogart posted:

Hi somebody tell me what we know about the DLC. Snow?

What we definitely know:
- some new enemy types, like big viking looking dudes, wolves and creepy fly skeletons
- lotta snow
- the trees may be ladies, not sure
- could be set in the painted world of Ariamis?
- could be accessed via the Cathedral of the Deep
- we definitely know it will be :krad: as From haven't released bad DLC yet

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

SgtArseCandle posted:

I'm in the same boat as this here good person. Anyone successfully running a bleed build? I've tried out a SL60 luck/dex/bleed build with warden twinblade and it was extremely inconsistent compared to my other SL60 glaive quality build which just wrecks everything in PVE and PVP. With the twinblades, sometimes I would demolish phantoms in a single combo, sometimes I would struggle a lot. It feels like I sacrifice a lot of raw damage for a chance of bleed, but even with the bleed it barely breaks even with the quality build. To a large degree I put this down to the fact that the range on the twinblades is just very short and before I can lay down the hits I get estocced/darksworded into Swiss cheese or cleaved in half by an UGS. Perhaps bleed builds become much more competitive at later levels with highly infused/reinforced hollow weapons? I want to like bleed builds because of reasons (fashion factor mostly) but it seems like the standard quality builds are just much more reliable and well rounded. Quite possibly I'm just rubbish at the game :(

I watched a few youtube videos of people using bleed builds at SL120 but I couldn't shake the feeling that every single case was a careful montage where the opponent was completely useless and just let themselves be combo bled to death.

I don't think you ever told me about your glaive build.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

SgtArseCandle posted:

I'm in the same boat as this here good person. Anyone successfully running a bleed build? I've tried out a SL60 luck/dex/bleed build with warden twinblade and it was extremely inconsistent compared to my other SL60 glaive quality build which just wrecks everything in PVE and PVP. With the twinblades, sometimes I would demolish phantoms in a single combo, sometimes I would struggle a lot. It feels like I sacrifice a lot of raw damage for a chance of bleed, but even with the bleed it barely breaks even with the quality build. To a large degree I put this down to the fact that the range on the twinblades is just very short and before I can lay down the hits I get estocced/darksworded into Swiss cheese or cleaved in half by an UGS. Perhaps bleed builds become much more competitive at later levels with highly infused/reinforced hollow weapons? I want to like bleed builds because of reasons (fashion factor mostly) but it seems like the standard quality builds are just much more reliable and well rounded. Quite possibly I'm just rubbish at the game :(

I watched a few youtube videos of people using bleed builds at SL120 but I couldn't shake the feeling that every single case was a careful montage where the opponent was completely useless and just let themselves be combo bled to death.

I did a Lvl30 bleed build focusing on Luck with Anri's SS and carthus rouge. It quickly became apparent that the purpose of bleed isn't necessarily to proc it, but rather to make the opponent panic at the buildup. It's the quickest I've ever gotten to 30 grass and 30 tongues. However, I get the feeling it was/would have been complete garbage at higher levels.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

-S- posted:

I did a Lvl30 bleed build focusing on Luck with Anri's SS and carthus rouge. It quickly became apparent that the purpose of bleed isn't necessarily to proc it, but rather to make the opponent panic at the buildup. It's the quickest I've ever gotten to 30 grass and 30 tongues. However, I get the feeling it was/would have been complete garbage at higher levels.

I wiped an entire world in 30 seconds in the archives with carthus rouge. And that was near level 100 or so.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Let the fire fade on this ending. How do I get the ending where I stomp the head of the fire keeper and take it for myself?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

Let the fire fade on this ending. How do I get the ending where I stomp the head of the fire keeper and take it for myself?

You gain control of your character while the screen fades to black. Kill the firekeeper.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Oh I couldn't possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I really hate the dungeon with the life shrinking ladies :(