Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You had already punished the rebels by imprisonment, execution is considered excessive and has few valid reasons.

It's weird, though, another case it comes up, I believe, is if you imprison someone for a plot you can execute them fine with no penalty, but if you fail on catching them and they rebel, then you capture them at the end... you get the penalty for executing them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Satan speaks to me constantly, healed my Maimed trait, healed my Infirm trait, and I'm speaking in tongues... but Jesus is also giving me military advice. I'm 12/36/6/16/10 at 60!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is there any way to get around the Foreign Culture negative bump when trying to vassilize people? I don't want to waste my time warring with titchy Scottish lords now I've usurped their Kingdom, I've still got England to conquer and only 100 years to go!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rarity posted:

Is there any way to get around the Foreign Culture negative bump when trying to vassilize people? I don't want to waste my time warring with titchy Scottish lords now I've usurped their Kingdom, I've still got England to conquer and only 100 years to go!

DoW multiple at once.:black101:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
And another maybe bug that just hit me.

Apparently you can be hit with slander by someone outside of diplomatic range? I was slandered by someone in Africa as a British ruler.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

BenRGamer posted:

I was slandered by someone in Africa as a British ruler.

Yeah, welcome to how every British Monarch has felt since the 1700's.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lareine posted:

What? Is THAT what they are trying to do? poo poo, that makes a lot of sense. But why would they want to be part of a weakened country?

Because isn't really a country in the modern sense. They benefit from being under a weak king because a weak king means more power to the aristocracy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Generally no. People will usually only accept vassalization if they share your culture and religion. If they really like you and they are a duke and you are an emperor, maybe? But even then Probably not.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You had already punished the rebels by imprisonment, execution is considered excessive and has few valid reasons.

This is really unfortunate, they added all these methods of execution and torture but there's no mechanical reason to use them.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Just murder infidels, nobody cares about them. :jihad:

Also, on that note, I just got the Papal Mache achievement from executing the Caliph while taking back the Zun holy sites.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
And now apparently one of my own counties got called into a war against me by Defensive Pact but its... not rebelling? Still has the same realm color and doesn't have its own outline, just the glowing red thing from the war.

Edit: ...is there a cap on how high you can get a levy from a single county? My army is basically just my capital's levy and my retinue, and that makes up about 30k troops, about an even split between them.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 31, 2016

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Holy poo poo have the hordes been un-gimped.
I set them to random spawn and started in the Charlemagne start date, because every other time I'd seen them go nowhere and wanted a challenge.
I cut off more than I could chew, since it's the 950s, I'm still just Venice, and the Aztecs own Francia and Germania.
And the Mongols are in the East, having broken the back of the Nomadic tribes and are threatening from the East.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

And now apparently one of my own counties got called into a war against me by Defensive Pact but its... not rebelling? Still has the same realm color and doesn't have its own outline, just the glowing red thing from the war.

Edit: ...is there a cap on how high you can get a levy from a single county? My army is basically just my capital's levy and my retinue, and that makes up about 30k troops, about an even split between them.

There's pretty much no cap except how high you can stack modifiers on it really.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SeaTard posted:

It also looks like being sieged will reset the prosperity progress, which means that war is doubly risky.
That's the beauty of Iceland though; no-one ever comes there until after the game ends~

also:

what the gently caress is up with some of my kinsmen???

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I had an event telling me that my wife poisoned me, but I think it was all in my lunatic head because I had no status effect, symptom or anything.

It gave me a chance to imprison her, behead her or let it slide. I chose beheading since she was old and ugly anyways then remarried a 16 yo girl. It's good to be the duke.

It didn't even give me tyranny or any malus, I wish it fired more often!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Rarity posted:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Diplomatic_actions#Offer_vassalization

quote:

AI rulers will swear fealty when asked if they like the liege, the liege has a significantly larger number of troops, and at least two of the following are true:

• Ruler is at least two ranks below the liege (Baron-Duke, Count-King, Duke-Emperor).
  • Ruler is the same culture as liege.
  • Liege is the rightful de jure overlord.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I'd love a Tenacious D total conversion where they have to run City Hall, but end up poisoning each other.

Rage Cage would be Duke.

Be a kickass duke.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Oh my god. There's special text if you're diagnosed with gout by a horse.

edit: Also for treatment, apparently. I was prescribed a bag of oats, to be attached to the face.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That horse is gonna kill you.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Anybody else having city courtiers rebel, then not even raising troops?

It's really weird because it's not even like they would stand a chance rebelling.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

They can't inherit titles if blinded or castrated, but it doesn't kick them out of titles they already hold, nor even from having claims pressed and getting titles that way.

Thank you. Just a quick second question then: I have the Emperor of the Byzantine Empire in my prison and he is my liege (hooray for abduction event). If I am a faction leader and try to push my ultimatum , can he still go to war? I mean I understand there is a regent but wouldn't any war automatically hit 100% warscore because he was captured?

Edit: So it turns out you give the ultimatum, it goes to war but because you have him in jail, the warscore is automatically 100% and you can instantly win.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 1, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Eh, if I remember correctly in the game's time period imprisonment wasn't generally thought of as a punishment in itself. Criminal were punished by execution, torture, mutilation, ritual humiliation, fines etc.; the dungeon was just a basement you kept people in until you decided what to do with them.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Autonomous Monster posted:

Eh, if I remember correctly in the game's time period imprisonment wasn't generally thought of as a punishment in itself. Criminal were punished by execution, torture, mutilation, ritual humiliation, fines etc.; the dungeon was just a basement you kept people in until you decided what to do with them.

Yeah, kinda odd that a game set in the middle ages doesn't want you to go medieval on people.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

And an easy death was actually considered escaping justice in a lot of places. Germany in particular considered the torture leading up to death to be the punishment, death was just the parole.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Strudel Man posted:

Oh my god. There's special text if you're diagnosed with gout by a horse.

edit: Also for treatment, apparently. I was prescribed a bag of oats, to be attached to the face.

Horse M.D. always enters with a long face. He's like...the Dr. Cox of medieval physicians so...he's probably competent?

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 1, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, seriously... what's the deal with the horse doctors? I mean... what?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, seriously... what's the deal with the horse doctors? I mean... what?

Lunatics can sometimes hire a horse to be their doctor.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why did I lose my kingdom after I lost the emperorship
Also can I refuse to be emperor

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I just started playing my first game using only the base CK II. I managed to beat the guy who was in Desmond to become my vassal but my half brother bishop assassinated my son (who luckily already sired an heir) but when I tried to imprison him he ran away. Fortunately his son and grandson were still in my domain so I threw them both in prison. I kind of hope he comes back to free them so that I can execute him but I don't know if that's possible. I'm also not sure what I do next, fabricate claims on Leinster I think? I also need to kick my vassals out so I can become to soul ruler of Munster?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Roland Jones posted:

Lunatics can sometimes hire a horse to be their doctor.
That's the intended method, though in this case, my doctor was a horse because my character was brought up by a horse chancellor, and became horse-cultured himself. Thus the physicians he hires are naturally horses, unless another culture is specified.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

That's the intended method, though in this case, my doctor was a horse because my character was brought up by a horse chancellor, and became horse-cultured himself. Thus the physicians he hires are naturally horses, unless another culture is specified.

Okay well that's loving amazing. Wow.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Strudel Man posted:

Paradox must be so proud of you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Crusader Kings II: Dances with Horses

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fine, they just made Lunatic inheritable

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
So I imprisoned my Duke for plotting to usurp my Chiefdom, stripped him of his titles, and banished him. His son inherits, all is well. Five years later I declare war to conquer part of superSjaelland, call my vassals, and get a notice that one of them denied me reinforcements - the ex-now not ex-Duke! His son had died of cancer and the cheeky fucker just waltzed right back into his old duchy.
The issue solved itself when he Holmganged me in the middle of another war. He was 6 martial, I was 31 martial. So I personally killed my rear end in a top hat returned Duke in the middle of the largest battle of the war.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Duel outcomes are not affected by Martial ability anymore, it's based on your Personal Combat skill.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Oh man I think they fixed the Shia uprising event. They now spawn with ~20% more troops then the target has, so it actually has a chance of succeeding. A successful one took hold in Mesopotamia and ended up conquering half of Persia before winning their own jihad against the Byzantines. :eyepop:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The abbas got rocked by a one two punch of shia uprising and decadence revolt. Unfortunately I think the revolters ate the Shia guys because there's tons of independent vassals in the near east but none are Shia :(

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
What's the deal with AI rulers being able to maintain hired troops while deep in the negatives for gold? I'm trying to gobble up part of the Fatimid caliphate, but the Caliph has troops for days, even when it seems like he shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pfox posted:

What's the deal with AI rulers being able to maintain hired troops while deep in the negatives for gold? I'm trying to gobble up part of the Fatimid caliphate, but the Caliph has troops for days, even when it seems like he shouldn't.

The Fatimids have a gigantic vassal merc company that they can keep in the field indefinitely and that regenerates its numbers fairly quickly.

• Locked thread