Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For my mom I took some varieties of green tea
For dad I took a washlet
For brother 1 I took one of those "party goods" which was some underwear with a faucet where the cock should be
For brother 2 I took some Pilot Frixon pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh that reminds me. One year I took my dad back a set of nail clippers like this. Japan makes some really excellent nail clippers.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I usually take weird flavor potato chips because they're light but idk if they ever get eaten...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Take them a carton of tenga eggs.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Tequila Sunrise posted:

University of Kansas and Kansas State University serve two very different functions. University of Kansas is for the type of people who don't think Kansas is amazing, Kansas State is for people who want to be farmers and still use the word "colored".

From Lawrence and have never agreed more with a statement.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

Punyo in the chimpo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You know me, I'm a food guy.

Stringent posted:

I'm gonna be visiting the family in the US next month and I need to pick up omiyage. What with living here, I kinda forget what people might want from here. Do any of y'all have suggestions?

So what kind of things do they like? How many people and what age are they in?

As for snacks there's Tokyo Banana and Gramercy New York "cheese cakes"

You can get them at takashimaya. There's also specialty castellas at Isetan.

There's also http://www.kinshobai.co.jp/ which you can get all over the city. Goes great with rice or anything! And maybe some seasame oil at Tsunahachi or Mizutaki Genkai soup mix?

For alcohol you can't go wrong with hibiki or any Japanese wiskey.

If you want something fun for the kids try an egg mould! http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-decoration-techniques/fun-japanese-egg-molds

Gundam chopsticks are great as well. Or anime stuff I guess.

A fish knife from Tsukiji. Get one before the fish market closes down!

Maybe some art books or photo books? The national museum stock some amazing maps and books. Some about old Tokyo /Edo, and some art books about Nihonga. Or something from here http://beyondhokusai.blogspot.hk/

Nakano Broadway just had a Takahashi Murakami popup store

A sports jersey or baseball stuff from the Tokyo Giants or J-league

If you have relatives who love photography then Japan sells amazing film supplies.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Oh that reminds me. One year I took my dad back a set of nail clippers like this. Japan makes some really excellent nail clippers.

And other cutting tools as well. High quality scissors, cutters, stuff made out of Japanese Stainless Steel.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
When you're clipping your nails at your desk in front of everyone at work, you have to show your best.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Swallows jerseys for everyone (Nippon Ham Fighters jerseys for everyone)

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
I would suggest japanese diapers if you know anyone who just had a newborn; if it weren't for the fact they're bulky as all hell.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

So what kind of things do they like? How many people and what age are they in?

I was more just hoping to chat with folks about stuff they've gotten and maybe brainstorm about new stuff.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

E: didn't mean to jump the gun earlier, I was trying to say that it would eventually be great to work and live in Japan for an extended period of time, but it would be a lot smarter and economical to do a lot shorter tourism trip first to see how I like it all there.

Resurrecting this post to remind people that going to Japan on vacation and actually living in Japan are two completely different beasts. I cannot emphasize this enough.

NGL, going to awesome arcades is lots of fun. I miss playing Maimai. But doing important every day stuff like filling out paperwork in Japanese? It can be stressful, and that stress adds up. Pretty much everything about my life is easier back home because I don't have to navigate a language barrier. The time zone difference between me and my family/friends is smaller, and I can afford to travel back home in the case of an emergency. None of this is even taking into account Japan's work culture, which can be pretty frustrating from an American's point of view. (I cannot comment as I was only a student.)

I'm not going to go into all the millions of things that jaded gaijin like to gripe about. I just want to emphasize that living in a foreign country is hard. It demands more of you. It can be rewarding, and I think it will be more rewarding if people are prepared beforehand and know what they're getting into. Keep this in mind on your tourism trip and have a great time. :)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Resurrecting this post to remind people that going to Japan on vacation and actually living in Japan are two completely different beasts. I cannot emphasize this enough.

This is a good post, but is also true for every place in the world, not just Japan.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Living in Japan is fun...I like being challenged everyday.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

fite me

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

The Great Autismo! posted:

This is a good post, but is also true for every place in the world, not just Japan.

yeah ofc but this is the japan thread, my friend. :)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Everything is easier with money. Most posts about packing up and moving are people saying they have few marketable skills or would accept a lower paying job and that makes life harder. Some people are trying to escape something (most probably), others believe too much in the 'grass in greener' perspective of pretty lights and opportunity in a foreign land or worst of all that being western and/or white means they'll be fine. Frankly I see those as bad reasons to move anywhere.

Most of the difficulties and hardships of living in Asia evaporate once you're making a good salary.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, this is kind of difficult but I would be glad if anyone can help me out. I really like this artist Taro Yamoto who makes cheeky nihonga.

http://www.imuraart.com/en/artist/archive/post_20.html#pub

I tried scouring the website but can't find anywhere to order his prints. I also don't mind *gulp* to commission him making something for me. Like some sort of folding screen but with pop culture

Please help!!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Everything is easier with money. Most posts about packing up and moving are people saying they have few marketable skills or would accept a lower paying job and that makes life harder. Some people are trying to escape something (most probably), others believe too much in the 'grass in greener' perspective of pretty lights and opportunity in a foreign land or worst of all that being western and/or white means they'll be fine. Frankly I see those as bad reasons to move anywhere.

Most of the difficulties and hardships of living in Asia evaporate once you're making a good salary.

I have money and I still feel empty :suicide:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Have you tried emailing the artist/gallery directly and/or going to the gallery irl?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What are the cheapest ways to get between cities in Glorious Nippon?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

What are the cheapest ways to get between cities in Glorious Nippon?

Overnight bus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Overnight bus.

I can't sleep on a bus so what's the next option up from that? Non-shinkansen trains?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah.

It's still going to be like a $45 trip one way between cities.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The route I'm looking at right now is Fukuoka -> Hiroshima -> Nara maybe? ? Himeji? -> Kyoto -> Tokyo so shinkansens would be like balls expensive. And that'd be spread over a few weeks, the three week JR pass price is insane so none of that. It looks like there's some kind of cheaper local variant though? I'm really confused.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just saw something trying to find a computer equivalent of Hyperdia called Seishun 18; however, gently caress sitting on a train or bus for 9 hours for the Kyoto to Tokyo leg.

You should post up your full itinerary and go from there. I seriously doubt you're flying into Fukuoka and leaving via Narita/Haneda.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

I just saw something trying to find a computer equivalent of Hyperdia called Seishun 18; however, gently caress sitting on a train or bus for 9 hours for the Kyoto to Tokyo leg.

You should post up your full itinerary and go from there. I seriously doubt you're flying into Fukuoka and leaving via Narita/Haneda.

I know there's this really cool goon who hitch hiked from Tokyo to Kyoto.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually never mind he's a giant jerk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phone posted:

I haven't decided on an itinerary, I'm just feeling out my options. I'm actually flying into Seoul and leaving from Tokyo if I do this trip. Fukuoka/Tokyo are set and I know I want to go to Kyoto since I only did like a half day there before.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How are you getting from Seoul to Japan? I know that there are the ferries.

Port of entry is in Fukuoka?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phone posted:

How are you getting from Seoul to Japan? I know that there are the aquafoils.

Boat from Busan, after I've crossed Korea.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
FUK :getin:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If there's anywhere in the general area that's naturey/snowy in February that would also be cool, I haven't really seen anything of rural Japan and we have no snow in my part of China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
yo gf we just did the high speed rail FUK to TOK and it wasn't bad. I'd recommend that or a rail pass so you can do it slowly and get off in Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima/Nagoya/whenever you want

It's an awesome trip, if we are in Fukuoka at the time please hit us up for beers and or good food. If you want

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the answer is always just stay in Tokyo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

the answer is always just stay in Tokyo

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
If you are planning a trip to Japan and cannot afford to take shinkansen, I submit that you cannot afford a trip to Japan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

If you are planning a trip to Japan and cannot afford to take shinkansen, I submit that you cannot afford a trip to Japan

I've been to Japan, it's not that expensive. The shinkansen is absurdly priced, I'm not paying more to travel a third of the way across Japan than it costs for me to fly to Japan and back.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 2, 2016

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I was tailoring this post towards the kind of people you listed because I'd say that's 99% of the foreigners that want to go to Japan. And I agree, money def makes things easier, but unless you're throwing money at a personal interpreter or are already fluent in the language, you would still have to deal with your brain working overtime translating everything around you. I guess there's also the gaijin bubble option and relying on your Japanese wife to take care of everything. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

If there's anywhere in the general area that's naturey/snowy in February that would also be cool, I haven't really seen anything of rural Japan and we have no snow in my part of China.

Snowy parts will be more on the northern and more mountainous sides of the area your traveling in. Look up ski places in Hiroshima or wherever to get an idea. Also, from Kyoto you could head up to Toyama or Fukui or somewhere before coming down to Tokyo.

Overall, if you're planning on stopping in so many places over the course of a few weeks, just taking the express trains will probably be fine if you're not in a massive rush. Himeji should be after Hiroshima/before Nara.