Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
As a guy that watched the abyss one time I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

What if the divers had parachutes?

On the suits, the helmets, or the air hose?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
General Bullshit v.666: Death comes to us all › OSHA : Under Pressure

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Wasn't there an accident on an oil rig where there were divers in a pressure chamber and they got blown apart from decompression? I mean literally blown apart, like the bodies were in many different pieces.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the body parts even got sucked through a keyhole or something

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
All because some dude didn't leave a note

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You can't fool me that's dad's buddy who's already blown apart, always teaching us lessons.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Three-Phase posted:

Wasn't there an accident on an oil rig where there were divers in a pressure chamber and they got blown apart from decompression? I mean literally blown apart, like the bodies were in many different pieces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

9 atmospheres to 1 in a fraction of a second.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

When you restrict the hose a bit, you actually let the end reach the pressure of the source. Once you reach that point, making the hole smaller does not increase how far the water shoots. It just gives you a smaller jet without concentrating the power. A drop in pressure is what causes the effects you're thinking of. If you have a reliable source of pressure, like a hydraulic tank or ocean, a big hole and a small hole will shoot out at the same speed, with total force proportional to the size of the hole.

And if that's not enough, I give up. No more effort posting from me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
What if the helmet was on a treadmill?

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

is the suit load bearing?

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Wall Balls posted:

is the suit load bearing?

The helmet is.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

DocCynical posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

9 atmospheres to 1 in a fraction of a second.

And people thought the bends/caisson disease was bad. There's your real-world proof for the "tube of toothpaste" analogy.

As for the gas leak from a few pages back, natural gas usually doesn't* actually smell bad, the stink (a chemical in the same family -- mercaptans -- as the active ingredients in skunk butts, in case you were wondering) is added artificially, because of a little thing that happened just down the road from my hometown in 1937, killing about 300 kids and faculty (295 known deaths, but it's hard to know for sure, because the bodies were ... fragmentary at best, and a lot of the kids were from migrant roughneck families and weren't on the official rosters, and either the parents didn't report that they were short a kid or six, or Mom and Dad were at the PTA meeting and the entire family was vaporized, leaving nobody to report them missing).

The entire damned building leaped off its foundations, that's an eyewitness descriptor more associated with magazine detonations in battleships (see USS Arizona, for one), not land-based architecture -- a proper building explosion it's either a lovely house blown into confetti or a big building that just collapses, to make a brick schoolhouse jump, that was a lot of boom.

Also, amusing history fact: The Chancellor of Germany sent his condolences via telegram. You know it's bad when ADOLF "MR. GENOCIDE" HITLER sends a telegram saying "sorry for your loss."

*sometimes it does naturally have the active component of rotten eggs in it, leading to fun signs like this in low-lying areas:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

When you restrict the hose a bit, you actually let the end reach the pressure of the source. Once you reach that point, making the hole smaller does not increase how far the water shoots. It just gives you a smaller jet without concentrating the power. A drop in pressure is what causes the effects you're thinking of. If you have a reliable source of pressure, like a hydraulic tank or ocean, a big hole and a small hole will shoot out at the same speed, with total force proportional to the size of the hole.

This is laughably wrong, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Velocity increases as the hole gets smaller, if you refer to the Bernoulli equation or w/e.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

toplitzin posted:

What if the divers are on a treadmill?

what if the divers are in an airplane with a parachute, on a treadmill

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
what if they are holy? :regd10:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What if the helmet was on a treadmill?

Does the treadmill have a parachute?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
0.99999999 atmospheres equals 1.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Oh, God, guys, please, I love reading this thread for actual OSHA stuff, at the end of my day -- please don't kill it :smith:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Can we have some more posts on the nuances of water pressure? I don't think we've had enough.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

mustard_tiger posted:

Can we have some more posts on the nuances of water pressure? I don't think we've had enough.

Your mudders udders have 60 psi

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

The handheld device is a disaster waiting to happen. :stare:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SneakyFrog posted:

what if they are holy? :regd10:

then they'll have some leaks, and the heavy squeeze they get will give a new meaning to the term "head bang"

:smug:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

YES YES YES PLEASE (SANTA)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As the guiltiest party I'll submit my peace offering in the form of something that was quickly glossed over in the Louisiana flood thread. Because all the rain in the world wasn't enough, one of the local chemical plants had a sulfuric acid leak. All the roads to and from the cluster of chemical plants are underwater so of course a tank of acid is going to leak.

But wait, how was sulfuric acid motive in a cloud form? Well that facility makes some ungodly fraction of the total consumption of HF in the US. So I'm assuming they are calling oleum sulfuric acid because who the hell has ever heard of oleum, and acid clouds gets the point across.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the guy holding a vacuum hose in front of a 1000W laser.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zedprime posted:

As the guiltiest party I'll submit my peace offering in the form of something that was quickly glossed over in the Louisiana flood thread. Because all the rain in the world wasn't enough, one of the local chemical plants had a sulfuric acid leak. All the roads to and from the cluster of chemical plants are underwater so of course a tank of acid is going to leak.

But wait, how was sulfuric acid motive in a cloud form? Well that facility makes some ungodly fraction of the total consumption of HF in the US. So I'm assuming they are calling oleum sulfuric acid because who the hell has ever heard of oleum, and acid clouds gets the point across.

Oleum is sulfuric acid with excess sulfur trioxide dissolved in it. The vapor cloud is the SO3 evaporating out of it. The SO3 vapor will dissolve in water to make more sulfuric acid.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Would that thing reflect off shiny metal and burn the ceiling? Or is that effect limited by focus distance?

Haha, they have that thing in squeaky too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcvcEg0xGYY

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 1, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

the noise it makes is well worth a few fingnats

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The handheld device is RAD AS HELL!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I have so many questions, like... where can I borrow one from?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ball size in inversely proportional to brain size.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My 70 year old father used to do dumb poo poo like this on the reg, my entire family is amazed he hasn't accidentally killed himself ten times over by now.

A few year ago he was trimming a big thick tree branch by balancing on top of a rickety wooden ladder and reaching wayyyyy out with a circular saw when he finally lost balance and fell. Somehow he escaped serious injury but he seemed to get the message and he's cut way back on the dumb stunts since then. He also got his revenge on the tree when a bunch of 'amateur-enthusiast arborists' were going door to door offering to do odd jobs for cash and he paid them a couple hundred bucks to cut the tree down. It must have been a pretty funny sight with these huge Samoan guys going "Got any trees you want cut down?" and my tiny elderly father going "MU HA HA HA come this way!"

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Mithaldu posted:

Would that thing reflect off shiny metal and burn the ceiling? Or is that effect limited by focus distance?

I might be completely talking absolute garbage but I read up on this and they said that it only does its job on stuff that absorbs the laser. Like rust or paint or whatever.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-1BL1Tr90

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

I might be completely talking absolute garbage but I read up on this and they said that it only does its job on stuff that absorbs the laser. Like rust or paint or whatever.

The question is "what happens if you're stripping paint off a mirrorlike surface".

My guess is that it would be fine (with eyepro) on rough or pitted surfaces, but I see things ending super badly if you're stripping a polished surface.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

IPCRESS posted:

The question is "what happens if you're stripping paint off a mirrorlike surface".

My guess is that it would be fine (with eyepro) on rough or pitted surfaces, but I see things ending super badly if you're stripping a polished surface.

Now you have me wondering what kind of insane eye protection you need for a kilowatt laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Now you have me wondering what kind of insane eye protection you need for a kilowatt laser.

I think those are CO2 LASERS, with wavelength 10 600 µm, which is so far from visible light that it’s not hard to make very effective filters.

The bigger concern might be the emissions from the plasma.