Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Breedt is the best! You can adjust it and change position left/right/up/down and have two thicknesses (get the smallest thickness). I love mine, got the pedal set very close to the same as my e46.

I tried the 3D printed one on mod bargains and it sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you have access to a 3D printer here's one for the FiST: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1369818

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Looks like Breedt is sold out. They also quit doing their short shifter arm for the FoST. I wonder why.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Maaay be able to snag one on ebay or from someone on focusst.org or something...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im probably going to buy the mountune quickshift kit for my FiST, and maybe one of their knobs. In trolling around for a working coupon code, I found a 20% off mountune usa code. If anyone wants it, PM me.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TheLawinator posted:

See these are the secrets I need. Local focus st's are beat to hell so no go on that. I'll look into those Pontiacs.

If you're willing to hunt around the Audi A3 06-08 is pretty much identical to a GTI of the same year aside from sheet metal and interior. When I bought mine they were around 2-4k cheaper than a same year GTI and as an added bonus had a much cheaper insurance premium. Baller people looking for luxury cars disregard it as the weird small wagon Audi and bros looking for a ~* wicked tite whip *~ usually have no idea it even exists. Everyone else rightfully fears anything european luxury and more than 5 years old.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

8ender posted:

If you're willing to hunt around the Audi A3 06-08 is pretty much identical to a GTI of the same year aside from sheet metal and interior. When I bought mine they were around 2-4k cheaper than a same year GTI and as an added bonus had a much cheaper insurance premium. Baller people looking for luxury cars disregard it as the weird small wagon Audi and bros looking for a ~* wicked tite whip *~ usually have no idea it even exists. Everyone else rightfully fears anything european luxury and more than 5 years old.

What's the service like on it? Arm and a leg or reasonable?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
got 15k mi on my FiST now and the rear brakes are already due and down to 3-4mm (and fronts both at 6mm), is this normal?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mariana Horchata posted:

got 15k mi on my FiST now and the rear brakes are already due and down to 3-4mm (and fronts both at 6mm), is this normal?

God drat. I'm over 80k on my Golf and my front and rear pads are still in great shape. Somewhat apples to oranges, but I don't exactly drive like a normal person either.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mariana Horchata posted:

~torque vectoring~

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PaintVagrant posted:

~torque vectoring~

This. And it could be a malfunction in that system that may warrant getting looked at. I read a few reviews where people took their cars to the dealership with abnormal brake wear and they found that the torque vectoring system was failing to release completely, causing continual wear on the brakes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TheLawinator posted:

What's the service like on it? Arm and a leg or reasonable?

The parts it shares with the Golf and the other VW / Audi cars that use the 2.0L engine are pretty reasonable. The parts specific to it are $$$. The cam follower can and will fail on them and destroy the camshafts. Audi fixed me up for free though and now I check it every other oil change. Other than that it eats rear brake pads and wheel bearings but nothing major over 100k kms.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mariana Horchata posted:

:stare:

I have 24k miles on mine and it's definitely going to need brakes before 30 but drat.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I hurt my back earlier this weekend, so my mother in law came over and mowed the lawn for us. In the process she hit the front of my fiST right above the grill and lefts big scuff/scratch on it with the mower. And he's didn't tell me about it, so I got to discover it this morning as I limped out to my car to drive to work.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I hurt my back earlier this weekend, so my mother in law came over and mowed the lawn for us. In the process she hit the front of my fiST right above the grill and lefts big scuff/scratch on it with the mower. And he's didn't tell me about it, so I got to discover it this morning as I limped out to my car to drive to work.

You have really bad luck with that kind of poo poo don't you?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fknlo posted:

You have really bad luck with that kind of poo poo don't you?

Apparently so. Hoping it clay bars out, if not I might make a claim since my comp deductible is so low.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Ferret King posted:

This. And it could be a malfunction in that system that may warrant getting looked at. I read a few reviews where people took their cars to the dealership with abnormal brake wear and they found that the torque vectoring system was failing to release completely, causing continual wear on the brakes.

I kinda figured it was due to the torque vectoring + hard driving but that is really good to know, is it something that could easily be confirmed and diagnosed as that? im guessing no, not at all

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FiST mountune quickshift kit and shift knob incoming. I cant stand the stock knob, its a bit of a reach for me and the back of it is very slick, not a good combination. I'll let you guys know what I think.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Just wondering if anyone can give me a hand/insight into some used winter tires I was looking at purchasing online. I have a 2014 FoST and I just want to check/confirm that these tires would fit on the car? (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/calgary/studded-winter-tires-on-rims-215-55r16-97t/1187393469?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions for affordable (<$1000) winter tire and rim packages for the FoST I'm all ears. I live in Calgary, Alberta, so ideally I'm looking for something a little more of a wet/ice rating for DDing the car around the city. We definitely get more snow in the mountains, but still lots of frozen moisture in town.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IKillForPie posted:

Just wondering if anyone can give me a hand/insight into some used winter tires I was looking at purchasing online. I have a 2014 FoST and I just want to check/confirm that these tires would fit on the car? (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/calgary/studded-winter-tires-on-rims-215-55r16-97t/1187393469?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions for affordable (<$1000) winter tire and rim packages for the FoST I'm all ears. I live in Calgary, Alberta, so ideally I'm looking for something a little more of a wet/ice rating for DDing the car around the city. We definitely get more snow in the mountains, but still lots of frozen moisture in town.

Ah hey I just went through this- check the spare in your trunk. If it's 17" instead of 16" then you have the new bigger front brakes they started putting on the FoSTs midway through the 2014 production and you should not buy a rim under 17".

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah hey I just went through this- check the spare in your trunk. If it's 17" instead of 16" then you have the new bigger front brakes they started putting on the FoSTs midway through the 2014 production and you should not buy a rim under 17".

Nice catch! I learn something new about my car everyday. According to FordEtis my car has a build date of 15.07.2014 - and sure enough, there's a 17" full size spare in the trunk.

So any tires I should be looking at/shopping for should be in that 17" + range? I currently have a spare set of 17" rims I could use, any tire suggestions/recommendations? - These are the stock rims that come with the FoST, I have an upgraded set of 18" rims with performance tires, but the stock all season tires that came with the car are garbage in the winter and I kind of want to take them to a track day and shred them.

IKillForPie fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 31, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would get whatever the newest blizzak is or Michelin x-Ice. Check tirerack if you wanna see some reviews and tests.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The cheapest (non Chinese/junk)snow tires are better than the best all seasons. I'd just buy whatever you can get a good deal on.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm a fan of Continental winters myself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Blizzacks have been amazing so far. This will be my third season on them.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

PaintVagrant posted:

The cheapest (non Chinese/junk)snow tires are better than the best all seasons. I'd just buy whatever you can get a good deal on.

This x100. Nokians are the best if you want to spend a lot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IKillForPie posted:

Nice catch! I learn something new about my car everyday. According to FordEtis my car has a build date of 15.07.2014 - and sure enough, there's a 17" full size spare in the trunk.

So any tires I should be looking at/shopping for should be in that 17" + range? I currently have a spare set of 17" rims I could use, any tire suggestions/recommendations? - These are the stock rims that come with the FoST, I have an upgraded set of 18" rims with performance tires, but the stock all season tires that came with the car are garbage in the winter and I kind of want to take them to a track day and shred them.

I did not know about that website. Cool. My car was built in Michigan on 10/23/2014.

I was also unaware that the ST's ever came with 17" rims. I thought that the 18" rims were standard equipment on the Focus ST.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

The Locator posted:

I did not know about that website. Cool. My car was built in Michigan on 10/23/2014.

I was also unaware that the ST's ever came with 17" rims. I thought that the 18" rims were standard equipment on the Focus ST.

You may be right, I should double check because right now they are just in storage. Obviously there's still a few months to go before any major snow/winter events, but they are definitely all season tires (regardless of the rim size), and they are definitely terrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I saw that Canadian equipment was a bit different when I was at a Canadian dealer the other day (Ford Val D'Estrie), but I am pretty sure stock wheels are 18." At least in 2013, US market cars only got the Eagles.

Good story about why I was at a dealer in the Eastern Townships: on a work trip, started car, got a headlight fault (which was a false alert), nav fault, climate control inop, remote locks, and sunroof inop. Stopped car, tried to restart, wouldn't find key. Took it to the dealer, who couldn't figure out what was wrong but at least figured out how to get the keyless entry to start (press the remote to the ignition switch location). Drove home, still same issues. Pulled the vehicle battery to reset, still the same issues. Drove the car for about 30 mins after pulling the battery, and it seemed to sort itself out. If you have this issue, just pull the battery and then drive the car for a while. You need a 13mm deep socket to disconnect the ground.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think 18" wheels are stock on the FoST- it's just that when yours was made governs the smallest size of wheel it will accept due to the bigger front calipers they introduced mid-2014 production year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IKillForPie posted:

Calgary, Alberta

I'm in town, I run General Altimax Arctics on my Speed 3, but I got a set of winters on Mazda rims from the dealer when I bought it, and the Generals were marginally cheaper for that wheel than Blizzaks or X-Ices. They haven't let me down yet though.

If you're gonna buy online, 1010tires.com or PMCtire, or order from Tire Rack and ship them to Eureka or Sweetgrass. (don't do this, the CAD's still poo poo)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have X-Ices and they are perfectly fine but they were the only thing available cheap and I only live in Boston now. Back home, I might have gone for Gislaveds or Hakkapelliittas.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I too have X-ice on my mazda. They did fantastic last year.

Car and Driver did a pretty good comparison of the various tires last winter. Might be worth a read if you haven't seen it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm sitting up in northern Illinois here (like basically in Wisconsin) and I'm not sure whether to get more "performance" oriented winter tires or if it doesn't make a difference. Either way need some since the car came with summer tires- not like I would want it any other way, though...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I'm sitting up in northern Illinois here (like basically in Wisconsin) and I'm not sure whether to get more "performance" oriented winter tires or if it doesn't make a difference. Either way need some since the car came with summer tires- not like I would want it any other way, though...

I prefer performance winters over "snow" type treads. Down here, I mainly need winters for 3-4 days of actual snow driving while it stays sub30 degrees for a solid 3-4 months.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm a northern IL goon myself (Loves Park). Put a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3's on my Civic Si in June. They've done fine in the rain. I had two sets of the previous version before and I never had any issues getting around in the snow. If it's THAT bad out, I just tend to stay home anyway.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

The Locator posted:

9/11/15 here :911:

but in :mexico: instead

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'm so glad I live in a swamp. I can just run extreme all summers year round and drive soft a few days out of the year when it gets in the 40's

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

I'm so glad I live in a swamp. I can just run extreme all summers year round and drive soft a few days out of the year when it gets in the 40's

Ya, but we can leave the house between the months of may and november without instantly needing a shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Bond-Body-Powder-Medicated/dp/B00125JFM6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472792956&sr=8-1&keywords=gold+bond