Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't think FCM are supposed to fill the same role at as Quarrelers at all. They seem more like you're supposed to deploy them in a forest or something and harass to start then charge the rear or flank once the lines meet.

If there's no forest, I plan to use them as frontline skirmishers while Handgunners/Knights are still unavailable. Fire off a shot, fall back while Swordsmen advance, move to sides, fire another shot, then stabby time. Crossbowmen sometimes take too long to go for the flank, and are usually pre-occupied with killing off enemy ranged units. Better use of 4 slots than another 4 Swordsmen I guess, and more efficient too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, I thought the Tomb Kings didn't like the VCs. Or am I mistaken?

They don't. Nagash was the guy who ultimately is responsible for both. The Tomb Kings came first, Nagash cursed the land and raised all the old dead kings and their armies in their tombs but hosed up by giving them free will. The Tomb Kings united under their first and greatest king, Settra and collectively packed Nagash's poo poo in, but since he's one of the most potent necromancers in the setting he keeps coming back to gently caress with them.

IIRC, Vampires came after the fact when some bored nobles came upon some of Nagash's tomes and tried to recreate his work. They gave themselves eternal life at the cost of the whole blood drinking thing. Since they weren't forcibly raised from the dead, they are a bit more welcoming to Nagash's whole 'serve in my army of the damned' thing. Tomb Kings hate VC because of the whole 'tools of our greatest enemy' thing.

Speaking of , I would love it if for the Tomb Kings endgame you had to fight Nagash's reincarnation instead of the everwatching chicken demon.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

If there's no forest, I plan to use them as frontline skirmishers while Handgunners/Knights are still unavailable. Fire off a shot, fall back while Swordsmen advance, move to sides, fire another shot, then stabby time. Crossbowmen sometimes take too long to go for the flank, and are usually pre-occupied with killing off enemy ranged units. Better use of 4 slots than another 4 Swordsmen I guess, and more efficient too.

Yeah, I think these guys look like fun foot skirmishers that can compliment more static or slow moving imperial lines. And, as others have pointed out, it seems like they could probably attack a flank at the right moment to cause a decent amount of damage to lower tier units. (Kind of how I use skirmishers/tougher ranged units, like tercos or ninjas in shogun 2, in lots of total war games actually.)

I wonder if subsequent DLC packs, around this size, will be dropping new units into the mix for each faction?

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does Toddbringer carry his unique model into the campaign, or is there a mod to bring him in?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Onmi posted:

Does Toddbringer carry his unique model into the campaign, or is there a mod to bring him in?

he does. if you confederate with Middenland you can get him too. There's also a mod that unlocks Middenland as playable and adds a few units for them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DeathSandwich posted:

They don't. Nagash was the guy who ultimately is responsible for both. The Tomb Kings came first, Nagash cursed the land and raised all the old dead kings and their armies in their tombs but hosed up by giving them free will. The Tomb Kings united under their first and greatest king, Settra and collectively packed Nagash's poo poo in, but since he's one of the most potent necromancers in the setting he keeps coming back to gently caress with them.

IIRC, Vampires came after the fact when some bored nobles came upon some of Nagash's tomes and tried to recreate his work. They gave themselves eternal life at the cost of the whole blood drinking thing. Since they weren't forcibly raised from the dead, they are a bit more welcoming to Nagash's whole 'serve in my army of the damned' thing. Tomb Kings hate VC because of the whole 'tools of our greatest enemy' thing.

Speaking of , I would love it if for the Tomb Kings endgame you had to fight Nagash's reincarnation instead of the everwatching chicken demon.

VCs were a little before the TKs. Nagash invented necromancy then got himself killed (the first time), but Neferata and some other nobles from Nehekara (egypt) recovered his notes and made a new version of his elixir of immortality, which made them the first vampires. Then they got forced out to the north in another all-consuming civil war, then Nagash came back and bought some crazy heavy metal poison from the Skaven that he put into the rivers and killed everyone and everything with. He eventually casts a gigantic necromancy to bring the entire nation back under his control, but it's interrupted at the last minute and now we have tomb kings.

Vlad was originally named Vashanesh, he was a living descendant of Nagash and Neferata's husband before they split up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fire Barrel posted:

Yeah, I think these guys look like fun foot skirmishers that can compliment more static or slow moving imperial lines. And, as others have pointed out, it seems like they could probably attack a flank at the right moment to cause a decent amount of damage to lower tier units.

I wonder if subsequent DLC packs, around this size, will be dropping new units into the mix for each faction?
Yeah, there's a few units every faction is missing. Besides lords/heroes,

Dwarfs are missing Bolt Throwers (Ballistas,) and Rangers (throwing axes, fast)
Beastmen are missing harpies (flying harassers that cause panic,) Ghorgons, (yet another big monster,) and Jabberslythes (flying dragonfrogs that spit poison)
Chaos are missing a ton of god-specific monsters and units, which could be a big DLC on its own - letting you choose your chaos subfaction.
And greenskins are missing a lot of goblin units. And squigs.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

wiegieman posted:

VCs were a little before the TKs. Nagash invented necromancy then got himself killed (the first time), but Neferata and some other nobles from Nehekara (egypt) recovered his notes and made a new version of his elixir of immortality, which made them the first vampires. Then they got forced out to the north in another all-consuming civil war, then Nagash came back and bought some crazy heavy metal poison from the Skaven that he put into the rivers and killed everyone and everything with. He eventually casts a gigantic necromancy to bring the entire nation back under his control, but it's interrupted at the last minute and now we have tomb kings.

Vlad was originally named Vashanesh, he was a living descendant of Nagash and Neferata's husband before they split up.

That being said, the Vampire Counts tends to refer to Sylvania and the von Carsteins. The VC army books also have a few other vampire types too that are based elsewhere in the old world.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeaNzxwosv8

Can't wait to use this :drac:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:holy:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Not really related to the game but i thought yall would get a kick out of it.

I was in my local game store with my roommate, showing him the GW merch and talking about how bad AoS is from a fans perspective. Then as we were looking at board games in the back we overheard the manager on the phone trying to order more 40k models.
The sales rep was really trying to upsell AoS because everything we heard was
"Is that for Age of Sigmar? Then Ill have to pass" for a good twenty minutes while we were browsing.
Best/saddest part was him mentioning he hadnt been able to sell a single starter set for AoS, at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I feel bad for anyone who is getting their first taste of Warhammer with this game and sees that "You've played the game, now experience the miniatures!" blurb only to find out the whole setting was nuked to make more space marine knockoffs.

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

So Chaos is the end game threat to the north, and Nagash is potentially the same in the south. Is there a potential equivalent in the west?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shmtur posted:

So Chaos is the end game threat to the north, and Nagash is potentially the same in the south. Is there a potential equivalent in the west?
It'd be Malekith and the dark elves, wouldn't it?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah, there's a few units every faction is missing. Besides lords/heroes,

Dwarfs are missing Bolt Throwers (Ballistas,) and Rangers (throwing axes, fast)
Beastmen are missing harpies (flying harassers that cause panic,) Ghorgons, (yet another big monster,) and Jabberslythes (flying dragonfrogs that spit poison)
Chaos are missing a ton of god-specific monsters and units, which could be a big DLC on its own - letting you choose your chaos subfaction.
And greenskins are missing a lot of goblin units. And squigs.

Cool stuff. Hopefully they add mercs for factions that can use them on the TT as well. Ogres, light cav, etc... That would be nice.

Chomp8645 posted:

I feel bad for anyone who is getting their first taste of Warhammer with this game and sees that "You've played the game, now experience the miniatures!" blurb only to find out the whole setting was nuked to make more space marine knockoffs.

Yeah, that's kind of a bummer. I like 40k well enough, but if I was a person just getting into fantasy, seeing that stuff would be a bit disheartening to say the least.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Skaven bubbling up out of Skavenblight around Tilea I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Once Ogre Kingdoms get added, there being a mechanic where any faction can hire a couple units of Ogres in the campaign would be cool.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Chomp8645 posted:

You like Karl Franz? Then you will love this freelancer general on gryphon, why does he have Karl Franz written across the model? Don't worry about it.

I found vampires kind of boring when I tried their campaign before, but I'm planning to given them another go when this drops.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

Not really related to the game but i thought yall would get a kick out of it.

I was in my local game store with my roommate, showing him the GW merch and talking about how bad AoS is from a fans perspective. Then as we were looking at board games in the back we overheard the manager on the phone trying to order more 40k models.
The sales rep was really trying to upsell AoS because everything we heard was
"Is that for Age of Sigmar? Then Ill have to pass" for a good twenty minutes while we were browsing.
Best/saddest part was him mentioning he hadnt been able to sell a single starter set for AoS, at all.

The starter sets for AoS are actually pretty decent value (as GW goes). It's a shame AoS is just so shamelessly bland.

I dont know posted:

You like Karl Franz? Then you will love this freelancer general on gryphon, why does he have Karl Franz written across the model? Don't worry about it.

I found vampires kind of boring when I tried their campaign before, but I'm planning to given them another go when this drops.

I felt the same way until I started cranking out Vargeists and Vargulfs. They're the only monsters that weren't totally usurped by Minotaurs in my eyes.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 31, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

The starter sets for AoS are actually pretty decent value (as GW goes). It's a shame AoS is just so shamelessly bland.

Per model yeah, but it has such boring models.

Endorph posted:

Once Ogre Kingdoms get added, there being a mechanic where any faction can hire a couple units of Ogres in the campaign would be cool.

This would be extra cool if they had unique models. Mummy maneaters own.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah, at least there's a bit of room for personalization when it comes to Space Marines - at least they have faces and there's people under there. I've never seen a Sigmarine without their helmet though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Kaza42 posted:

Skaven bubbling up out of Skavenblight around Tilea I think

Skaven could pop up in a whole bunch of places, couldn't they? Since their underground territory sprawls all over the world from what I understand. It would be nice if the 'end times' event by the time all the races are implemented was just a massive clusterfuck from all sides with all the big threats popping off at once.

I suppose the other options are to make the big threats staggered or even to make it random which world-threatening event goes full bore depending on the campaign (so for instance you might get a minor chaos invasion but not Archaon himself while Skaven erupt everywhere instead). This is very speculative but it's fun to think about.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, I hope they'll make the end-game threats random once they start adding more races. I guess they'll need to mess with the victory conditions if they do that but they should be doing that anyway really when they start expanding the map.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, at least there's a bit of room for personalization when it comes to Space Marines - at least they have faces and there's people under there. I've never seen a Sigmarine without their helmet though.

Isn't a new fluff thing that they're the souls of mighty heroes forged into the armor suits?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Shmtur posted:

The Lizardmen decide your race is NOT PART of THE PLAN.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

NeurosisHead posted:

Isn't a new fluff thing that they're the souls of mighty heroes forged into the armor suits?

Yea, they're pretty much just good guy chaos and it's lame as hell

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I felt the same way until I started cranking out Vargeists and Vargulfs. They're the only monsters that weren't totally usurped by Minotaurs in my eyes.
Vargheists are fantastic and I was sad when enemy armies started getting enough armored units that I couldn't just point ~8 units of Vargheists at a single point and just murder everything.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NeurosisHead posted:

Somehow the Thousand Sons manage to be cool as hell with that gimmick.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Ravenfood posted:

Vargheists are fantastic and I was sad when enemy armies started getting enough armored units that I couldn't just point ~8 units of Vargheists at a single point and just murder everything.

Towards the end of my last VC campaign I had a weedy necromancer running around with 19 terrorgeists. It was really satisfying to fly them over to an army, right click the giant mob on basically any non-Hero/Lord unit and watch it get deleted on the charge.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
GW totally released a limited edition model of a Stormcast Eternal with his helmet off. One of the very few times I've seen them paint a character model as being black, which I would imagine pissed the grognards off.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I like WH and 40K so I prefer not to think about my fellow fans too much.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pendent posted:

GW totally released a limited edition model of a Stormcast Eternal with his helmet off. One of the very few times I've seen them paint a character model as being black, which I would imagine pissed the grognards off.

Good on GW. Given a decent chunk of their fan base are non-ironic fascists, I imagine this really riled them.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

I dont know posted:

Good on GW. Given a decent chunk of their fan base are non-ironic fascists, I imagine this really riled them.

Those guys are the worst.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Skaven could pop up in a whole bunch of places, couldn't they? Since their underground territory sprawls all over the world from what I understand. It would be nice if the 'end times' event by the time all the races are implemented was just a massive clusterfuck from all sides with all the big threats popping off at once.

I suppose the other options are to make the big threats staggered or even to make it random which world-threatening event goes full bore depending on the campaign (so for instance you might get a minor chaos invasion but not Archaon himself while Skaven erupt everywhere instead). This is very speculative but it's fun to think about.

Yup. The whole thing of Skaven is they outnumber/overpower every other race in Fantasy, but are way to busy warring with each other. The End Times arc has them finally united, which leads to them completely wiping out the Lizardmen/Empire/fighting back Nagash.

Endorph posted:

It'd be Malekith and the dark elves, wouldn't it?

Malekith becomes the Phoenix King/"good" after he conquers the High Elves. He's not really presented as a bad guy unless you are a High Elf, and even then they are supposed to be a test for him?

I dunno, what GW did with the various Elves in this period got kind of dumb, so I stopped paying attention.

If I had to guess, three world ending events is good. Chaos from the north, Nagash from the south, Skaven from the center.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ClassicFascist posted:

Those guys are the worst.

Pro post/username combo right here.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Have they said whether they're going to amend skills like Honest Steel to benefit the new units?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chaos Demons could be the end-game threat for the west. Naggaroth borders the Chaos Wastes and fights with Chaos along its borders and the High Elves and Lizardmen are both staunch enemies of Chaos and the High Elf fluff has a lot of stuff about them fighting demons. Plus Chaos Warriors are already in the Old World so it'd make sense to have the Demons focus on Ulthuan and the New World. Not sure Dark Elves would work as an end boss for Lizardmen since I don't think they've ever shown much interest in launching a full-scale invasion of Lustria, they're much more concerned with taking Ulthuan over.

Krazyface posted:

Have they said whether they're going to amend skills like Honest Steel to benefit the new units?

I don't think Honest Steel will affect the new troops. It's already really good and seems flavoured towards affecting basic line troops whereas FCM seem more like skirmishers. Flagellants don't seem to fit the flavour either and they don't even use steel. And iirc it doesn't currently affect any cavalry so I don't see any reason why it would affect the new knights either.

Pendent posted:

The fascists will just play BLOODSECRATORS instead

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 1, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Somehow the Thousand Sons manage to be cool as hell with that gimmick.
Yeah, but they have actual backstory and pathos and poo poo. Them being condemned to being souls trapped in their armor is treated tragically and it works. The Sigmarines are all super buff dudes in golden armor regardless of their origin that respawn when they die and are looked at as heroes and the best dudes ever that can beat up anything. They're really loving dumb.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like the healing hard cap is 60% of a unit's total HP. It's going to be a pretty drastic change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, but they have actual backstory and pathos and poo poo. Them being condemned to being souls trapped in their armor is treated tragically and it works. The Sigmarines are all super buff dudes in golden armor regardless of their origin that respawn when they die and are looked at as heroes and the best dudes ever that can beat up anything. They're really loving dumb.

GW completely missed the central drama of WHFB being about mostly regular humans trying to protect their empire from all sorts of bullshit monsters and evil gods and replaced it with invincible armour men with big shoulder pads.

• Locked thread