Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dick Tracy rules, it's got insane levels of makeup and like pastel blue Tommy guns and all kinds of radical poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched Dick Tracy recently and loved it. I also love Darkman, but mostly for the ridiculous way he's thrown out of the lab explosion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All I know about Dick Tracy is that it went for colorful camp at a time no one wanted to see it at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dick Tracy is amazing, Warren Beatty and all. Darkman is peak Raimi madness and also flawless.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Darkman makes a great double-feature with Nightbreed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched Dick Tracy recently and loved it. I also love Darkman, but mostly for the ridiculous way he's thrown out of the lab explosion.

My favourite scene from Darkman.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as that generation of superhero movies that were following Batman '89 go, I've only seen The Rocketeer (love it) and Darkman (love it). I've never seen The Shadow or The Phantom or Dick Tracy but I'm especially curious about the last one because I've seen some of the crazy make-up they used to reproduce all the bizarre characters from the comic strip like Littleface and the Brow, and thought, "That looks interesting."

The only thing is that I've heard Warren Beatty miscast himself in the lead role, and somebody like Harrison Ford would have been a better choice.

Dick Tracy is a beautiful looking movie with a rough script, but it's worth watching just for the amazing visuals.

You can skip The Shadow and The Phantom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Shadow feels like someone tried to make Batman Begins a decade early.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I love the scene where he's waking up in the nonsense machine that is just rotating him for some reason in the hospital and the doctor is just rambling like "so we had to do this experimental poo poo to his nervous system cause of his burns and long story short he's got super strength and speed now and is probably invincible or something, oh and it gave him super-insanity"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Action Man posted:

Dick Tracy is a beautiful looking movie with a rough script, but it's worth watching just for the amazing visuals.

Dick Tracy was the studio making a "comic" movie for grown-ups, with a really kid-friendly aesthetic. I was a kid when it came out and it just seemed very schizophrenic. But you've got to give them credit for not trying to make a grounded, gritty, realistic kind of film. I think Sin City eventually worked out a formula which was just right for that sort of tone. (We don't talk about SC2, though).

The Phantom is really skippable, unless you really like Billy Zane. It's kind of just not too interesting for the most part.

The Shadow was always a personal favorite of mine, even though Alec Baldwin is Alecing his way through it. Guy with guns + mind controlish powers gained from an ancient Tibetan monk? The hero being a grody-rear end warlord at the beginning? The Shadow basically blackmails people into helping him, and he's like a hair away from being just a complete douche that occasionally helps people not die. It was great. The CGI, though... ugh.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I had an amazing The Shadow lunchbox + thermos when I was a kid. This one;

Who knows what hostess lurks in the heart of this lunch?

I haven't seen the movie in literally 20 years though.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 31, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, who doesn't really like Billy Zane?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, who doesn't really like Billy Zane?

To the contrary, I don't believe I've ever met anyone who does like him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Hansel told me that Billy Zane is a cool dude.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dick Tracy is actually a lot better than you might expect. The makeup they had for the henchman was really good even if it looks ridiculous and Al Pacino was great as the bad guy.

I think Warren Beatty got the movie made to hit on Madonna though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Barbie-scaled Breathless Mahoney doll had nipples.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

The Barbie-scaled Breathless Mahoney doll had nipples.

I had a set of Dick Tracy trading cards that prompted me as a third grader to look up what 'sultry' and 'seductive' meant.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Action Man posted:

The Shadow is fine and Billy Zane gives it his all in The Phantom and it's enjoyable. Neither are great movies, but they in no way suck rear end.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My distant memory of The Phantom is "very entertaining but completely forgettable". Dick Tracy is mostly great and the adherence to the comic book color scheme and outfits looks great, and most of the characters are great, but I didn't care for the Madonna stuff and from my extremely limited Dick Tracy reading/cartoon she seemed out of character for Tracy to react to.

Pacino is great and hilariously quotable both for the misquotes and "I'm having a thought..."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The podcast " You Must Remember This," episode 15 (link below) goes into detail about warren and madonnas relationship and all the craziness surround the dick Tracy movie.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/youmustrememberthispodcastblog/ymrt-15-madonna-from-sean-to-warren-part-two

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Also gently caress warren Beatty because he has made it so dick Tracy will never be adapted again until after his death.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Action Man posted:

Hell no, The Phantom is tons of fun.

rantmo posted:

To the contrary, I don't believe I've ever met anyone who does like him.

Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight is awesome and it's 90% because of him. Billy Zane rules.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Fallen Rib

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight is awesome and it's 90% because of him. Billy Zane rules.

It is awesome because I watched it when I was 13 years old and there were boobs in it.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On a similar note, I mostly love Dick Tracy for how ridiculous the two shots at about 2:37 here are - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4936ZOiOZw

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 31, 2016

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

I love the scene where he's waking up in the nonsense machine that is just rotating him for some reason in the hospital and the doctor is just rambling like "so we had to do this experimental poo poo to his nervous system cause of his burns and long story short he's got super strength and speed now and is probably invincible or something, oh and it gave him super-insanity"

It's awesome. The coolest thing about Darkman is his super-power is partly having really huge melodramatic emotions, which means he's a normal guy who has an accident which gives him the huge operatic emotional characteristics implicit of comic book superheroes.

Darkman is the best, it's the best by far of the post-Batman, pre-Blade era.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karloff posted:

Darkman is the best, it's the best by far of the post-Batman, pre-Blade era.

Wasn't Darkman mostly finished before Batman was even released?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perry Normal posted:

On a similar note, I mostly love Dick Tracy for how ridiculous the two shots at about 2:37 here are - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4936ZOiOZw

The bit where Tracy knocks out like ten guys with one punch? Hahaha, that's awesome. I've definitely got to watch this now.

Karloff posted:

It's awesome. The coolest thing about Darkman is his super-power is partly having really huge melodramatic emotions, which means he's a normal guy who has an accident which gives him the huge operatic emotional characteristics implicit of comic book superheroes.

"PAY FIVE BUCKS! TO SEE THE DANCING FREAK! JUST FIVE BUCKS! SEE THE DANCING FREAK!"

It's weird that Liam Neeson was in that. I mean, he's great in it, but it's sort of an oddity in his filmography in between the likes of The Mission and Rob Roy (also, in Rob Roy he looks almost exactly the same as he did when he played Qui-Gon Jinn and it's really distracting).

Rhyno posted:

I understand that Raimi actually wanted to make a Shadow or Phantom movie but couldn't get the rights, so he came up with an original character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand that Raimi actually wanted to make a Shadow or Phantom movie but couldn't get the rights, so he came up with an original character.

Clearly he'd have done a better job than what we got with either of those films. But if I remember what I read, Darkman was mostly finished filming before Batman was released, it just took forever to edit and finish the FX work. To say it's "Post Batman" is kind of unfair since it wasn't really influenced by it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Perhaps, but there was an influx of comic book properties being made into films post-Batman which it's hard not to consider Darkman a part of, whether or not the production was specifically inspired by Batman's success or not.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I just watched both Magic Mike movies and it is criminal that Channing Tatum is not presently charming everyone's pants off in a superhero movie. I'm sure the Gambit movie is toast, but that's fine, because he deserves better than loving Gambit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I just watched both Magic Mike movies and it is criminal that Channing Tatum is not presently charming everyone's pants off in a superhero movie. I'm sure the Gambit movie is toast, but that's fine, because he deserves better than loving Gambit.

It's so odd that they made a HUGE ordeal out of having him on the Fox X-Men panel last year (he even warmed everyone's hearts by walking clearly confused Stan Lee off the stage) and now he'll probably never play the character. I read somewhere (maybe here) that Fox wanted him to sign on for like 12 films, to basically become their new lead to take Jackman's place and he balked at the idea since it would lock him in for 10+ years. Gonna be pretty funny when DC eventually scoops him up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tatum is way too charming and friendly to be in a DC movie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

site posted:

"We're proud to announce Channing Tatum will play Booster Gold in Justice League 2!"

<Booster shows up with one arm, warning of the dark future where Superman is ruler of all, Batman proceeds to beat him to death while crying>

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

I think he could pull off a great Brave and the Bold style Aquaman.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SlimGoodbody posted:

The reason why Gambit failed: It not Tatum, it Gambit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Honestly I think he'd be a pretty good Captain Marvel.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The bit where Tracy knocks out like ten guys with one punch? Hahaha, that's awesome. I've definitely got to watch this now.

I'm not sure which I love more, ten guys with one punch or the guy back-flipping off the uppercut right after it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Honestly I think he'd be a pretty good Captain Marvel.

It is a shame Patrick Warburton isn't 10 years younger. He'd be a great Captain Marvel.

Perry Normal posted:

I'm not sure which I love more, ten guys with one punch or the guy back-flipping off the uppercut right after it.

I also like the bit just before it where a guy is (presumably) leaning on a Chinese stereotype in a laundry for protection money and Tracy just pops up from behind the counter like a jack-in-the-box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is a shame Patrick Warburton isn't 20 years younger. He'd be a great Captain Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SlimGoodbody posted:

Tatum opposite The Rock in the DCEU Shazam movie would be really good imo.

• Locked thread