Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moneyball posted:

Doesn't the student/horrible parent designate an account to deposit the additional loan money to? "Hey guys, my student loan "refund" came in!"
They do, but that just makes the mom getting the money into her account even shadier. Last I remember, the student is the one filling out all that paperwork, and they're the one controlling where any extra money goes. Parents don't get to touch anything unless the student lets them - and everything takes about 5-10 minutes for federal loans, so there's no reason for the kid to let them(barring jaw-dropping laziness/helicopter parenting).

I'm assuming the mom convinced the daughter to let her 'help' with the loan stuff, or just stole the daughter's identity to apply for a private loan, but christ.

SiGmA_X posted:

I consider pigs and cows pets and I find pork and beef delicious, while feeling minor guilt. I have never considered eating dog meat though. Horse sounds tasty on all accounts, and I also consider them pets.
A lot of people don't consider livestock animals pets, which is why they're fine eating them and not traditional pets. I'd have no problem eating horse, whether or not it's considered a pet, but that's how people think. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The biggest pain in the rear end for the FAFSA is that it requires more information from your parents than you, so it kind of makes sense to get them to do it.

Now that I'm over 24, though, I don't have to deal with that poo poo.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

A lot of people don't consider livestock animals pets, which is why they're fine eating them and not traditional pets. I'd have no problem eating horse, whether or not it's considered a pet, but that's how people think. :shrug:

Dogs, horses, scorpions and snakes are all fair game if you head to China. Although most are raised as livestock intended to consumption. They even have these large guinea pigs that seem to be bred for their size. If it's been raised for human consumption or if they're well cooked insects I don't see any issue. The only things I wouldn't be too keen on are cats and centipedes. Although if you care about ethical treatment of animals I wouldn't recommend eating in China ever.

Seeing this is the horse thread here's BWM/BWL. We let clueless tourists drive on rural roads so they just drive right into people riding horses and kill them (the horses). There's a high probability the tourist will end up in prison.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83752556/journalist-karen-rutherford-still-in-hospital-after-crash-which-killed-her-horse

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Best advice in China is to just eat and don't ask what it is. Ask me how I know.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

Best advice in China is to just eat and don't ask what it is. Ask me how I know.

How do you know, Moneyball? :allears:

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
Help me decide better option regaridng paying off debt through IRA or loan

quote:

I have $166k sitting on my inherited IRA.

My wife does not want to eat any more into this inherited IRA. After all, it used to be much higher but we did some home improvements. We are 46 years old, and putting kids through college...We owe 16k in credit card debt and also are getting a pool deck for $8k. I know, first world problems...

Here are our options..

1. We continue what we are doing with maxed credit cards and higher interest. We will have no credit cards available for emergencies and we would be paying around $350 a month for these credit cards. IRA stays at $166k, but things are still tight monthly which can lead to draining the IRA to get by.

2. We pull money out of the IRA to pay off both credit cards and the pay for the pool deck. IRA goes to $142k but we are credit card debt free, have our pool deck and we would not need to withdraw as much from IRA monthly because we wont have any of the $350 in credit card payments. This is the hardest option to do but I think is the best option. You have to swallow and heavy pill, but it will be easier in the long run.

3. We get the loan for $17k from my retirement fund with a low interest and pay off the credit cards. We use IRA for the pool deck only which lowers it to $158k. We still have $300 taken out of my paychecks for the loan which means we will end up pulling more from IRA because money is tight monthly.

The key here is, we don't want money to be tight monthy. BECAUSE WHEN MONEY IS TIGHT WE USE CREDIT CARDS AND PULL FROM IRA. We need to swallow the pill and do option 2. Correct? Am I right here?

His all caps section is his doing, not mine. In all of these situations he NEEDS to withdraw from the IRA every month. I love though that the only way to work this is either leave the debt alone, or pay off the debt and oh by the way, while I'm spending money I may as well buy a pool deck. It's nice that he's paying for his kids to go to school...

oh! He gets confronted for being a troll:

quote:

Not sure what you mean by a troll? Isn't an internet troll someone who is just messing around and making stuff up? I am not. What is FWF???
Try living in the Los Angeles area, my example is quite common.

I am asking for advise here based on three options. We will be doing one of those three options. I am just asking if option 2 is the best one.

Obviously not getting the pool deck and not living beyond your means would be the best option but we are past that point. After this deck its time to buckle up and save.

Look guys, the pool deck is non-negotiable. I live in LA. Besides, after I get this last hit of irresponsibility, I'll be good. I swear.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

Help me decide better option regaridng paying off debt through IRA or loan

His all caps section is his doing, not mine. In all of these situations he NEEDS to withdraw from the IRA every month. I love though that the only way to work this is either leave the debt alone, or pay off the debt and oh by the way, while I'm spending money I may as well buy a pool deck. It's nice that he's paying for his kids to go to school...

oh! He gets confronted for being a troll:

Look guys, the pool deck is non-negotiable. I live in LA. Besides, after I get this last hit of irresponsibility, I'll be good. I swear.
You missed the part where he seems to have the 166k sitting entirely in a biotech mutual fund.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/vghax

quote:

Yes. We live and die with Biotech which traditionally does very well but recent epipen stuff has hurt us bad this week.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/panoply/bad-with-money

Bad With Money

Buzzfeed writer starts a personal finance podcast and has a "society is against me, money is a failed institution" breakdown one episode in. Complete lack of self awareness squeezed into two episodes of her lawyer mother who represents for haircuts, planning her financial future on an incoming "six figure" check while telling a "financial psychologist" that the root of her financial issues is her expecting a large windfall to come out of the sky, and wanting to retire at 54 doing guest appearances on TV shows. A trainwreck, recorded and distributed.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I imagine it's stupid as hell on purpose to get us all to share it on all these finance forums.

Also gently caress everything Buzzfeed.

it gets better: It's all her parents' fault.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 1, 2016

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You missed the part where he seems to have the 166k sitting entirely in a biotech mutual fund.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/vghax

Oh wow, it gets better!

Well, on a related note, I had a similar issue with my investing. Didn't start until about mid 2014 after listening to a lot of Dave Ramsey. He kept spouting about finding a mutual fund with a good track record to start investing in and kept egging listeners on to just jump in. Well, I found the fund with the best track record and the highest gains in the last 12 months and started my first Roth IRA account. The first account was T.Rowe Price's Health Science fund. I bought a couple other funds with T.Rowe in the Roth account throughout 2014-2015. After a bunch of reading (Four Pillars of Investing and bogleheads forums) I eventually consolidated all of my T.Rowe stuff into PRHSX in Q3 of 2015. In 2016 I then rolled it over into Vanguard. How did my market timing end up?

Not great. I've kept the fund out of stubbornness, but haven't added anything to it. Ended up being a cheap lesson to learn early on.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Been helping my parents with their retirement finances and it has been painful. My mom doesn't understand finance, my dad doesn't know what questions to ask and is very trusting. Between the two of them, my mom is paralyzed by fear and lack of understanding while my dad takes initiative but not always in the right direction and then the one blames the other when I ask questions.

I think it's finally over though and they're set and happy for the time being. Christ.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SweetSassyMolassy posted:

Oh wow, it gets better!

Well, on a related note, I had a similar issue with my investing. Didn't start until about mid 2014 after listening to a lot of Dave Ramsey. He kept spouting about finding a mutual fund with a good track record to start investing in and kept egging listeners on to just jump in. Well, I found the fund with the best track record and the highest gains in the last 12 months and started my first Roth IRA account. The first account was T.Rowe Price's Health Science fund. I bought a couple other funds with T.Rowe in the Roth account throughout 2014-2015. After a bunch of reading (Four Pillars of Investing and bogleheads forums) I eventually consolidated all of my T.Rowe stuff into PRHSX in Q3 of 2015. In 2016 I then rolled it over into Vanguard. How did my market timing end up?

Not great. I've kept the fund out of stubbornness, but haven't added anything to it. Ended up being a cheap lesson to learn early on.
That is not what Dave Ramsey suggests. That is not at all a diversified fund, doesn't come close to meeting his long track record suggestions, or fund type... That said I don't think his investing input is very good besides the whole 'learn about investing' and 'invest >15%'. But like you said, a good cheap first lesson.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I like how he said he read four pillars of investing then he divested from his other funds into that health science one.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wickerman posted:

I like how he said he read four pillars of investing then he divested from his other funds into that health science one.

Vanguard Health Care has a really stellar record (it's been around for 32 years, annual return of 17%) and I can see someone wanting to make a sector bet with some of their money but all of it is crazy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If he read 4 pillars he'd be familiar with "past performance does not indicate future returns".

(although everybody puts SOME emphasis on past performance...)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Vanguard Health Care has a really stellar record (it's been around for 32 years, annual return of 17%) and I can see someone wanting to make a sector bet with some of their money but all of it is crazy.

Health care has the potential to be one of the most volatile sectors in history if things like public options are created. It's right up there with education expenses as a political target.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Changing your mind is a lot of effort, and everyone's natural inclination is to just keep all of their current ideas and twist whatever you read into supporting it. So if you go into reading the four pillars wanting to bet it all on black, your going to interpret it as a justification for bet it all on black.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I will never be let in to traffic ever again.

BWM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

BWM.

Pics pls

If you bought a 996 you are bwm

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Wickerman posted:

At the time, I was trying to get everything from T.Rowe over to Vanguard and was confused about the wordage. I kept reading about an "account" transfer requiring a medallion signature and each fund I invested in had an associated account number with it. The confusion was that I thought I'd either have to get multiple medallion signatures for the multiple fund accounts within my Roth, so rather than do that, I'd just transfer it all into one fund and get a medallion signature for that (bad with money). During this whole timeframe I discovered what my 457(b) was and was glad to see index funds as choices in the account. Changed my focus to tax deferred savings, and so my Roth account was becoming an increasingly smaller amount of my portfolio. Right now PRHSX in the single % points of my measly portfolio.

SiGmA_X posted:

That is not what Dave Ramsey suggests. That is not at all a diversified fund, doesn't come close to meeting his long track record suggestions, or fund type... That said I don't think his investing input is very good besides the whole 'learn about investing' and 'invest >15%'. But like you said, a good cheap first lesson.

Selective hearing on my part. I heard the "long track record thing" and that was my primary filter. Diversified wasn't even part of my thinking. At the time PRHSX's 10 year was 18%+ annualized and the 5 and 3 year stats were higher than that if I remember correctly. My second investment was T.Rowe's media and telcom fund (I think its 10 year was 2nd behind PRHSX at that time). After this situation and the reading of Four Pillars the concept of not betting on the current out-performer has been cemented into my head. Bonus learning is watching the volatility of PRHSX vs the S&P 500.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What does every prospectus say about previous returns?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What does every prospectus say about previous returns?

Oh, oh, I know this one!

Past performance is a predictor of future success?

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Oh, oh, I know this one!

Past performance is a predictor of future success?

That's right! My fund had the juice! I even made a spreadsheet with my annualized gains at 14%. You know, because 18% might have been a real good run. It'd probably be a little less than that. Hah! A millionaire in just a few short years!

:doh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pics pls

Not a 996 or a real Porsche:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703897&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post463818251

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

baquerd posted:

Health care has the potential to be one of the most volatile sectors in history if things like public options are created. It's right up there with education expenses as a political target.

Definitely, though that's priced in. Still can't see someone wanting to put all their portfolio into just health care. I mean it's better than what these dumbasses did because health care is a profitable industry but total market funds are dirt cheap and own everything just in case your dream sector shits the bed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pics pls

Wrong. 996s are dirt cheap and getting wrapped up in the whole prestige game is a losing venture.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phone posted:

Wrong. 996s are dirt cheap and getting wrapped up in the whole prestige game is a losing venture.

996s are cheap for a reason

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

BWM.

hot tip, if you drive a Nissan Datsun or whatever the modern equivalent is (ford ranger?) that's rusted out, everyone will let you merge in ahead of them

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

996s are cheap for a reason

Yeah, and that reason is because :qq: PORSCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AIR COOLED AND BE HEADLIGHTS LOOK LIKE A FRIED EGGS SHARE THE PARTS WITH THE LESSER CAYMAN AND BOXSTER MODELS MY PRESTIGE :qq:

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

mastershakeman posted:

hot tip, if you drive a Nissan Datsun or whatever the modern equivalent is (ford ranger?) that's rusted out, everyone will let you merge in ahead of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDinIMBsjsw

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

Yeah, and that reason is because :qq: PORSCHES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AIR COOLED AND BE HEADLIGHTS LOOK LIKE A FRIED EGGS SHARE THE PARTS WITH THE LESSER CAYMAN AND BOXSTER MODELS MY PRESTIGE :qq:

the headlights are bad enough

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phone posted:

I would much prefer a Cayman, it's not about the prestige for me. The interior isn't good, it's cheaply built, and it's unattractive.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The 996es also had the intermediate shaft that requires you to replace the transmission (engine?) when the bearing fails, right? Sure people have made shafts that fix that problem, but that's another $10-15,000.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The 996es also had the intermediate shaft that requires you to replace the transmission (engine?) when the bearing fails, right? Sure people have made shafts that fix that problem, but that's another $10-15,000.

Are you talking about the IMS bearing failure? When it fails your engine is hosed and it's recommended to replace the entire engine because the failure of one IMS bearing means that replacement IMS bearings are likely to fail due to damage to the housing,

In fairness, the Cayman/Boxster and the 997 also have this issue, although less severe than the 996.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

intermediate shaft

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the IMS bearing failure?

OH MY GOD, take this poo poo to AI, please.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Buying a water cooled Porsche without the IMS bearing replacement: extremely bwm

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't understand anything on this page. gently caress all your cars.

Working at a startup: probably BWM

https://medium.com/startup-grind/i-got-scammed-by-a-silicon-valley-startup-574ced8acdff#.1vvfl54yh

Not sure if that's been posted here before but I enjoyed reading it yesterday.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I ignored getting my car mechanic'd for long enough that bad alignment hosed up my tires and now I have to buy two new ones, there that's how you do cars in the BWM thread

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I ignored getting my car mechanic'd for long enough that bad alignment hosed up my tires and now I have to buy two new ones, there that's how you do cars in the BWM thread

Nah, the real way to BWM cars is if you ignored the "genie bottle looking light thingy on the dash" because you thought it was telling you your headlight fluid was low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Can you LS a Porch? That would make a Porch GWM, right?

• Locked thread