Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

In GE:R, the database in the terminal has entries for the weapon types that mention the special attacks they have, and there are also entries for the attacks themselves. You have to match weapons to moves yourself though, and there are no videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Wrong thread

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I've been screwing around with all the weapons in GER, and for the life of me I cannot find a single, obvious fit for my playstyle. I like the scythe, but I'm not really using any of its unique mechanics. If I'm going for a general bread & butter "Run around like a moron and don't die too frequently" build, should I just roll with longsword + assault rifle, use custom bullets to handle all the enemy resistances, and focus on cheesing my OP and spending as much time in gun mode as possible?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Is there any way to heal yourself apart from A: getting way too reliant on allies with healing abilities or B: popping individual heal tablets in blocks of 4?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Somfin posted:

Is there any way to heal yourself apart from A: getting way too reliant on allies with healing abilities or B: popping individual heal tablets in blocks of 4?

craft recovery pill S/farm them from consumable drop ++ from support friends
recovery balls restore more than recover pill 2, same w/ pillars
you can make a radial bullet which also affects yourself
automatic recovery/melee hp absorb burst augments

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

So I've been screwing around with all the weapons in GER, and for the life of me I cannot find a single, obvious fit for my playstyle. I like the scythe, but I'm not really using any of its unique mechanics. If I'm going for a general bread & butter "Run around like a moron and don't die too frequently" build, should I just roll with longsword + assault rifle, use custom bullets to handle all the enemy resistances, and focus on cheesing my OP and spending as much time in gun mode as possible?

I never really saw the point of the scythe special stuff in GE:R for most monsters. Both specials are very much sometimes foods, usually for the larger monsters since otherwise their DPS is terrible, and like all of the weapons from GE2 scythe felt really bad without blood arts.

The cheesiest weapons in GE:R are buster blades and blast guns. Blast Guns are cheesy because of their unique mechanic mixed with GE:R letting you use all 8 bullet modules (think it usually only had 6 as a balancing factor?) to make very bursty, hard-hitting bullets. Buster Blades are cheesy because very early on you get a control unit that multiplies the power of your next attack upon devour and given Buster Blades have the strongest single attack potential you can really capitalize. Later on in the game you get a control unit to increase damage the deeper you get into a combo, but even then don't think it really competes with putting the single attack boost on quick-devour, having the quick charge skill and just spamming it with your strongest Buster Blade attack. Also, step-devour existing essentially gives you charge spear or shortsword levels of mobility.

If you want to focus on shooting then assault rifle has the best OP conservation and thus the most sustainable pure gun DPS, but blast guns are the best for mostly ignoring the gun to do high burst.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Decus posted:

I never really saw the point of the scythe special stuff in GE:R for most monsters. Both specials are very much sometimes foods, usually for the larger monsters since otherwise their DPS is terrible, and like all of the weapons from GE2 scythe felt really bad without blood arts.

Scythe has this massively weird issue in GE:R where the "critical" hitbox of your weapon is much, much harder to land than in 2:BR with the normal attacks on the square button.

A lot of the HP restoration augments are really good on scythe in particular since Round Fang by default hits multiple parts at once from a massive range, combined with Cleave Fang and supplementing for the DPS you need using combo augments and the like.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there enough people playing it online on PC?
The price is kinda steep for me but I always wanted to try playing a Monster Hunter game with other players (I don't own any consoles).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I don't think this is a game you should be playing with randoms. That said you can have mildly customizable AI buddies so it's not like you're missing out on support.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Playing with randoms shouldn't hurt anything except you might run into a cheater that blows through missions way too fast.

EDIT: \/ yeah, that's definitely an issue too.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Or a griefer with a shotgun :q:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Slowly go for all the item skills, like item effect, item usage speed, recovery item effect and their burst versions. Soon you'll be using items in like 0.1 seconds and the smallest recovery pills will recover half of your health. Also go for autoguard and the two skills that don't let you die if you have more than 50hp and don't let you die if you are guarding. These three together make you virtually invincible.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

same question for GE:R - my AI team members won't heal me unless I get knocked out. is there any way to command them to heal me?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Eventually you'll get the ability to have people bring Heal Gates with them into a mission, which the AI is fairly decent about using, but until then, you're better off just using items than hoping your allies help.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malloreon posted:

same question for GE:R - my AI team members won't heal me unless I get knocked out. is there any way to command them to heal me?

There's only two AIs who heal in GE:R. Kanon and Sakuya. If they're not Medic class they don't use heal bullets.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

There's only two AIs who heal in GE:R. Kanon and Sakuya. If they're not Medic class they don't use heal bullets.

This isn't really true. You can equip heal bullets to a whole bunch of different people via Personal Abilities. You need to progress in the game further for some people, but just about everybody gets a heal bullet.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
On a related note, is there a way to stop my allies from trying to revive me if they've got 10% health and the Dyaus is still RIGHT THERE GOD drat IT SORA

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Alisa in particular is very thorough about using healing shots, and unlike Sakuya and Kanon can also put you into burst mode and actually block attacks. She's probably the tankiest dedicated healer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Utgardaloki posted:

Alisa in particular is very thorough about using healing shots, and unlike Sakuya and Kanon can also put you into burst mode and actually block attacks. She's probably the tankiest dedicated healer.

In general the newtypes outclass the old ones by a mile once you can field a full party of them.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, condensed aragami shots can only be given by newtypes, and they're pretty great. Newtypes also have no real gaps in terms of attacking vulnerabilities; between their guns and their melee, they should always have something that can inflict meaningful damage on an enemy.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Eh, Soma is consistently useful on harder missions as a dedicated tank, no newtype can match him in toughness without using their skill slots to match what he has naturally.

but otherwise being heal and bullet bots to fuel players is what the AI is best at so always better to grab newtypes. Ren and Alisa are probably the best contenders in that department.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
What's up with Annette and Frederico? I'm only at difficulty 3, but I've met everyone else on the roster so far except for the two of them, and they both have (alt) after their name. They also look like new-types even though story-wise, they're not supposed to be there yet. Some sort of pre-order bonus?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Noblesse Oblige posted:

What's up with Annette and Frederico? I'm only at difficulty 3, but I've met everyone else on the roster so far except for the two of them, and they both have (alt) after their name. They also look like new-types even though story-wise, they're not supposed to be there yet. Some sort of pre-order bonus?

Yeah, in God eater burst you would only get extra AI newtypes besides Alisa waaay deep into the game, so now you can have two straight off the bat on any missions that don't lock characters.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So does the (alt) mean they are a 'newtype'? And newtype means they can use both guns and melee, right?
Also, does taking less people on a mission give you better rewards?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Danith posted:

So does the (alt) mean they are a 'newtype'? And newtype means they can use both guns and melee, right?

Alt just means they're a recolor of the actual Annette and Federico. Once you unlock the real Annette/Federico, you can take the Alt and Actual versions along on the same mission, too. Taking less people doesn't get you anything extra.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The exception is that you can only get SSS+ ratings if you're solo, but that's not worth the bother.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Danith posted:

The (alt) designates that they are re-geared. Original Annette and Frederico had weapons that were styled after hammer and spear, but weren't actually since they didn't exist as polearms yet. The (alts) have an actual hammer and spear.

jobroskie
Mar 3, 2008

Am I pretty yet mommy?
How many goons are playing this on steam right now? Is there any interest in starting some sort of party or getting a PGS thread started because I would love to try out the multiplayer but don't know anyone with the game.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
there's a GE room in the SA monster hunter discord

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Lemon-Lime posted:

The exception is that you can only get SSS+ ratings if you're solo, but that's not worth the bother.

I wasn't even aware there was a SSS+ rating. What does it get you?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

I wasn't even aware there was a SSS+ rating. What does it get you?

I'm not very far into the game, but so far nothing. There's rating-gated mission rewards though so I imagine conceivably there might be some gated behind SSS+.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
For all you PS4 people who don't use discord, I created a community for it called "Goon Eater". If you want to maybe join you can find it through the search feature or through my PSN name " HackanSlash"

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

For all you PS4 people who don't use discord, I created a community for it called "Goon Eater". If you want to maybe join you can find it through the search feature or through my PSN name " HackanSlash"

OP posted:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Oh poo poo this game has a Neptune voice set, Everything is better with more nepnep.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Which one was the Neptune voice set? There were a few that sounded like they were by Melissa Fahn.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Lemon-Lime posted:

Which one was the Neptune voice set? There were a few that sounded like they were by Melissa Fahn.

famale 16 I think, it's got 4th wall quotes and all.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Good, I'll join that instead. I don't need that kind of responsibility.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

A couple of quick questions:

1) Is there ever a reasaon NOT to select a personal skill thing (or whatever that thing is when you choose a partner's portrait) post-quest? I notice you can just select Finish. Is there a reason one would want to?
2) I know the amount of pips on the top-right of each portrait indicates how much of an AP bonus they'll get if you select them. Is it randomized, or otherwise significant?
3) What does it mean when it has a ★ icon instead of those pips?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Morter posted:

A couple of quick questions:

1) Is there ever a reasaon NOT to select a personal skill thing (or whatever that thing is when you choose a partner's portrait) post-quest? I notice you can just select Finish. Is there a reason one would want to?
2) I know the amount of pips on the top-right of each portrait indicates how much of an AP bonus they'll get if you select them. Is it randomized, or otherwise significant?
3) What does it mean when it has a ★ icon instead of those pips?

1) Not especially. If you somehow manage to only get Support Uses +1 and nothing else, it'll save you a bit of time.
2) Mostly random. The higher tier skills lean towards higher reward tiers, I believe.
3) Basically a fourth pip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0156
Jan 1, 2005
romantic comedy wahhhh
I'm not super good at this game/series (I started with GE resurrection in case I cared about the story - I don't, it turns out) so I was looking online for general tips and tricks and stumbled across just how badly the bullet crafting system is broken.

It seemed a little crazy to me when I poked at it in the menu but I thought it was like "maybe you make a bomb ammo that shoots smaller bombs out of it" or "you combine slug and buckshot ammo together to shoot a wide spread of BIG bullets" or something like that. no, turns out people do stuff like shooting sniper bullets into the sky which then buff themselves based on distance to the target and automatically home in from above and break like 3 monster parts within 3 seconds of starting the mission

It kind of feels like maybe you shouldn't be able to do that in this game but I guess if anyone else is struggling like me it basically has a built-in difficulty slider, just craft a bomb that one shots everything or whatever??

game is pretty cool otherwise, better than I was expecting. I'd say I definitely like it more than MH overall, most of it is much less opaque and easy to interact with on a basic level.

• Locked thread