Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like on average acting was better because they couldn't skate by on fancy SFX or whatever as much however it is also true that we're in a bit of a golden age for TV in that there are tons of interesting new shows coming out that are actually done real well.

It's just that there's also a ton of reality TV honey booboo poo poo, too. Idk there's plenty of examples of lovely TV from back in the day.

anyway here's Jadzia

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
You gotta look at the best output and ignore the worst output. With 200 networks the worst output will always be garbage.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You guys sure are some TV snobs. How could you not love that era of broadcasting where 2/3rds of all channels were running Arbitrary Time Limit Motorcycle Customization shows around the clock?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

You guys sure are some TV snobs. How could you not love that era of broadcasting where 2/3rds of all channels were running Arbitrary Time Limit Motorcycle Customization shows around the clock?

Arbitrary Time Limit Kitchen Customization was way better.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Are we still living in the era of Dramatic Value Assessment and Exchange of Vintage Objects in the Swamp?

I feel like the Ferengi would be all over it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSlam posted:

Are we still living in the era of Dramatic Value Assessment and Exchange of Vintage Objects in the Swamp?

I feel like the Ferengi would be all over it.

Lake Dredge Appraisal was one of the best shows

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I started watching the first season of the first Star Trek ironically, but it's actually good? It's like The Twilight Zone. The part where shirtless Sulu is going crazy with a sword and grabs Uhura and says "I shall protect you, fair maiden!" and Uhura says, "sorry, neither" is my favorite dialogue in television ever.

Yeah TOS and TNG before it got too serious were a-class programming

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't forget the BBC's Arbitrary Time Limit Archeological Dig

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold were both beautiful slow motion disasters.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lake Dredge Appraisal was one of the best shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIGIv29tJFY

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Germstore posted:

Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold were both beautiful slow motion disasters.

Bering Sea Gold still is just because it's angry people being dicks to each other. Gold Rush got so popular it has allowed Todd Hoffman to subsidize his losses and what used to be incompetent idiots fighting over not ever making any gold has turned into an incompetent idiot paying millions of dollars so he can have other people get him gold.

Like, instead of a slap fight over their truck breaking down because something else is broken down - now a truck breaks down and they just use one of the other 4 he somehow has $1,000,000 to buy in a giant fleet of machinery.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Watched Jadzia's suppressed symbiont host episode where it turns out she's got a little killer in her. When she stood at the edge of the milky slug-pool and started to peel off her white robe I was like aww yeah but of course it was just another outfit underneath whatever.

The best part was Sisko and the doctor threatening to expose the whole trill planet to the coverup. Kinda funny Sisko and the federation knows something fishy is going on but if they save Jadzia then it's all good.

Also I found it funny that they had to run a personal mission basically (live-saving sure) and used The Defiant - the federation's only warship.

E: Oh and from EP1 of this season my wife commented on their purple undershirts/collars. I would have never noticed it but now it's all I see of the uniforms.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Hey, even on a full scale dig you only ever get three days work done because everyone is drunk off their rear end the rest of the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

To be fair, Time Team had been going for twenty-odd years rather than during the fad years of such shows in the 00's. Plus they're on a BBC budget and visiting other people's homes and public spaces that might need that area back ASAP.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Idk there's plenty of examples of lovely TV from back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djlc6uHTVmY

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also, are we as a people so bereft of memory that we've forgotten the Hulk Hogan action-adventure TV show Thunder In Paradise?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AugmentedVision posted:

TOS is the worst offender though and I can't watch it because of that. It seems that at some point in the 70s or 80s, someone realized "holy poo poo, maybe it would help our audience's suspension of disbelief if the people on the screen behaved like people", and TV and movies suddenly got a ton better.

It's like how at some point painters realized "wait, maybe we should make the people in our paintings look like actual people and not merely representations"

i guess that's relevant if verisimilitude is an important measure of quality.

but huge lols if you think modern television writing is "realistic". it's not, the dialogue is still entirely constructed and exaggerated and is not how actual real people would communicate or talk to each other. it would be more true to say that it's more conversational, which appeals to our tastes and sensibilities, but those tastes can change.

if you don't like overacting, then space opera is really the wrong genre for you.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Guys, I'm obviously not talking about some average modern sitcom or summer blockbuster. However, at some point, people on the screen acting like real people became a thing, and it wasn't before. Acting in "classic" TV shows is never lifelike.

The earliest example I can think of is Alien, which is very striking because the people seem very human despite being in a Giger drawing in space. By no means do I think that every director and screenwriter started making real people immediately. poo poo, in the same film series, Aliens (and I assume all the other sequels, I haven't seen any) had lovely cardboard cutouts for all the characters.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
man they got some use out of that home shopping network halberd

The first ferengi episode that planet guardian is dramatically wielding it

Then in that terrible old age make up episode with the admiral that gets younger the bad guy has two right behind his chair

Now in Worf's dishonor trial where picard is his second the klingon chancellor guy has them in his office.

That poo poo cost $30, get a loving sword or something

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really like DS9 and I watched voyager every night in the early 2000s despite never really absorbing what was going on (i was 10), I don't like 95% of TNG and TOS/TAS is unwatchable. I haven't seen Enterprise because the kid in me is mad that it replaced Voyager even though i hate voyager in hindsight. I feel like the worst trek fan

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hemophilia posted:

I really like DS9 and I watched voyager every night in the early 2000s despite never really absorbing what was going on (i was 10), I don't like 95% of TNG and TOS/TAS is unwatchable. I haven't seen Enterprise because the kid in me is mad that it replaced Voyager even though i hate voyager in hindsight. I feel like the worst trek fan

I only really properly watched the entire run of TNG all the way through for the first time (ie; not as a kid or teenager and missing half the nuances) when it was going round on SyFy recently and appreciated it a whole lot more. I never actually knew Data was the second officer in command, always thought he was just a bridge officer.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I want to gently caress Star Trek.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Olewithmilk posted:

gently caress Star Trek.

Agreed. gently caress that poo poo. Babylon 5 foreverrrrrrr

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Apollodorus posted:

Agreed. gently caress that poo poo. Babylon 5 foreverrrrrrr

Should CBS:All Access miraculously get off the ground and start bringing in real money off the back of Trek I'd love to see the rushed amphetamine-dream production of Babylon 7 that Warner would race to get out and get a slice of the pie with.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
voyager??a? barely knew her

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

enterprise? I haven't even seen 'er prise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Should CBS:All Access miraculously get off the ground and start bringing in real money off the back of Trek I'd love to see the rushed amphetamine-dream production of Babylon 7 that Warner would race to get out and get a slice of the pie with.

Uhhh...there can't be a Babylon 7 because the intro to the first season of Babylon 5 clearly stated that it was the last of the Babylon stations.

:goonsay:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrBouvenstein posted:

Uhhh...there can't be a Babylon 7 because the intro to the first season of Babylon 5 clearly stated that it was the last of the Babylon stations.

:goonsay:

i hope thats a tv dinner pointing to hell

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Nah but seriously B5 was terrible in most respects. They would need to radically revamp the writing to make it watchable.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

Also I found it funny that they had to run a personal mission basically (live-saving sure) and used The Defiant - the federation's only warship.

I noticed that on my DS9 rewatch too.

"Sorry Federation, I know this ship is supposed to be used as the first line of defense against the Dominion. We promise to use is responsibly from now on." Gives the keys to the Defiant to a terrorist organization in its next appearance. :wtc:

Early on, Defiant is the starship equivalent of Worf getting dunked on by the alien of the week.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I only remember watching one Babylon 5 episode around 20 years ago. I remember that an evil dude had taken a space-postman prisoner and was torturing him for information.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
What exactly were the billions of federation people doing after the Enterprise encountered the Borg?

they had a whole year to prepare and then they are like "We have zero new tactics or equipment, also our new anti-borg weaponry won't be ready for 2 more years"

like stop watching violin recitals and loving do something. Wolf 359 was an inside job.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Apollodorus posted:

Nah but seriously B5 was terrible in most respects. They would need to radically revamp the writing to make it watchable.

yeah, everyone's way too chummy with each other. they'd need to have all the main characters hating each other. and loving each other too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

And it got mothballed when the borg threat "passed". The borg threat does not pass.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Speaking of which, did Janeway destroy all the Borg or are they still around?

Also, I wish Voyager went in an Apocalypse Now direction with Janeway taking the place of Colonel Kurtz.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Speaking of which, did Janeway destroy all the Borg or are they still around?

Also, I wish Voyager went in an Apocalypse Now direction with Janeway taking the place of Colonel Kurtz.

she blew up the queen and their GO FAST MACHINE but there's other borg around, it had been established that without connection to the big collective they just form small ones

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

she blew up the queen and their GO FAST MACHINE but there's other borg around, it had been established that without connection to the big collective they just form small ones

I only watched TNG, and years ago so I don't remember it super well, but wasn't there a Borg civil war going on? With one group led by Lore and a group that wanted individuality? How'd that shake out?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Goodbody posted:

I only watched TNG, and years ago so I don't remember it super well, but wasn't there a Borg civil war going on? With one group led by Lore and a group that wanted individuality? How'd that shake out?

Hugh introduced individuality to the Borg. The collective cut that cube off, and then that "rogue" Borg cube found Lore who took command.

That's about the extent of it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What exactly were the billions of federation people doing after the Enterprise encountered the Borg?

they had a whole year to prepare and then they are like "We have zero new tactics or equipment, also our new anti-borg weaponry won't be ready for 2 more years"

like stop watching violin recitals and loving do something. Wolf 359 was an inside job.

that's how it is when 90% of your population is in the holosuites 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

that's how it is when 90% of your population is in the holosuites 24/7

How do you improve yourself for personal fulfillment?

People on the show: Study physics, chemistry, and niche sciences to apply for a Starfleet position and travel the galaxy

Everyone else: Mow the lawn and become the best Holo-GTA 400 player in the Federation