Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

That said, Hillary could be doing more to push this kind of messaging rather than more of 'Holy gently caress guys Trump is awful'. The DNC legit perked me up and got me feeling better about my country after the shitshow of the RNC. We need more of that kind of energy.

The thing is anything Hillary ever says will be immediately pounced on, it's why her ads are mostly just owning Trump with his own side's words. It's fortunate that Trump gives her so much ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yinlock posted:

The thing is anything Hillary ever says will be immediately pounced on, it's why her ads are mostly just owning Trump with his own side's words. It's fortunate that Trump gives her so much ammo.

I know, I just miss the cool speeches and reminders that America at heart at least espouses some good poo poo, even if we don't live up to it often.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I cannot believe the raw cowardice of Trump earlier today versus Trump this evening

he literally wouldn't talk about the wall when Mexicans are present

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/Green_Footballs/status/771182652472762368

I loled at this just because of how small Pence's name was. Which made me think: When was the last time Pence has been in the news at all? Did Steve Bannon just lock him in a hotel room somewhere?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/Green_Footballs/status/771182652472762368

I loled at this just because of how small Pence's name was. Which made me think: When was the last time Pence has been in the news at all? Did Steve Bannon just lock him in a hotel room somewhere?

I'm pretty sure Pence got Christie'd considering how much Trump clearly hates him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boon posted:

I've seen that Bill Kristol "I'm holding back a poo poo" face before, but I noticed him doing it as a black dude was talking and now I wonder if that's always the case.

That "aw gently caress I think I just poo poo myself" is Bill Kristol's natural facial expression. Just look at any thumbnail of him on Mediaite or Crooks & Liars. He constantly looks on the verge of breaking down in an embarrassed sob.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Yinlock posted:

I'm pretty sure Pence got Christie'd considering how much Trump clearly hates him.

Ah, so he's gotten lost on some sort of endless KFC run.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The way he has believe written makes me read it in Kaine's terribad Trump impression :kimchi:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

stone cold posted:

The way he has believe written makes me read it in Kaine's terribad Trump impression :kimchi:

:thejoke:

(I think)

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/jartaylor/status/771177098937446404

edit: nm I'm a dumb-dumb

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 1, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So, is the media narrative going forward going to be about the oh-so presidential and statesmanlike Trump from earlier today, or the carnival barker fascist Trump from this evening?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

iospace posted:

:thejoke:

(I think)

Oh lol for some reason I confused the guy with Chuck the Floorshitter. That's my b. I keep forgetting Twitter permabanned him!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/jartaylor/status/771177098937446404

edit: da gently caress with imgur these days. How do you embed an imgur picture now?

Just copy and paste the direct image URL?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

iospace posted:

Just copy and paste the direct image URL?

That doesn't work.

edit: nevermind, I'm a loving idiot.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 1, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yinlock posted:

However, Christie is sort of still limping around like a half squashed cockroach, while Pence is going to likely burn the worst when Trump falls. He's in the co-pilot's chair and he's hosed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

So, is the media narrative going forward going to be about the oh-so presidential and statesmanlike Trump from earlier today, or the carnival barker fascist Trump from this evening?

The former if for no other reason than they want a horse race.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Goatman Sacks posted:

Hey Clinton is nosediving on 538 just FYI

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

eesh, she must be really excited about tomorrow. Poor Hole. :smith:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pellisworth posted:

Ok I'll bite one last time.

Atheism is a belief system, which is something internet atheists are unable or unwilling to understand. Atheism is the belief that God(s) don't exist. It is not provable by science or logic. Your "faith" is that there is no God, and that's fine, but recognize it as such.

You're doing the exact thing you're accusing Hillary of. You're basing your politics partly on your personal belief system (there is no God). Compare:

Fundamentalist Christians believe in God. They think everyone who doesn't believe in God like they do is a toxic and corrosive influence on our politics and society. Therefore, we should be suspicious of non-Christians and work to elect fundamentalist Christians who hold the correct values.

Atheists don't believe in God. They think everyone who does believe in God is a toxic and corrosive influence on our politics and society. Therefore, we should be suspicious of religious people and work to elect atheists who hold the correct values.

I've asked you several times to post any actual religiously-influenced policy of Clinton's that you disagree with, but you've stated repeatedly that it's all just "feelings." It's no different than evangelicals being suspicious of atheists or muslims, it's bigotry plain and simple.

I'm gonna guess your response will be along the lines of "Bbbbut atheism isn't a belief system, it's pure rational logic and science!" which would indicate you fundamentally don't understand science.

This is wrong on a couple levels, since the sort of secularism I'm advocating isn't a belief system. People are free to believe as long as they don't let their belief intersect with the public sphere. It's a long tradition with many forms such as the most permissive American cultural institution where it is considered rude to talk about religion to more restrictive legal devices like Laicite in France, laiklik in Turkey all the way to outright religious condemnation like the Cultural Revolution. Personally, I'm an advocate for something much more like the Cultural Revolution in America. However, I recognize that this is a fairly extreme and minority position. So, all I'm asking for is to roll back from the Reaganite plague towards the already normalized idea that people shouldn't talk about religion in a professional setting.

If Hillary were an accountant and talked about the role her faith played in making her become an accountant, people would think she was being unprofessional at best and more likely that she is unhinged. Why do we not only give politicians a pass but expect them to talk about religion?

I disagree that atheism qua atheism is a religion. I agree that there are metanarratives that can have atheism as a feature, such as the rational positivism you seem to be strawmanning me as. What does that have to do with anything?

All I've been asking for is a NOMA between politics and religion just as there is a NOMA between science and religion.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/771188705696423936
Does this read like "We'll go around randomly arresting brown people for 'jaywalking,' and if they turn out to be immigrants we'll deport them" to anyone else?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Spaced God posted:

Does this read like "We'll go around randomly arresting brown people for 'jaywalking,' and if they turn out to be immigrants we'll deport them" to anyone else?

"Sorry you didn't have your blinker on long enough. Back to Mexico you fucker!"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spaced God posted:

Yes, thats exactly how it worked in Arizona when they passed all of their bullshit

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
There goes any hope he ever might have clung to a Hispanic vote. Brownshirts feeling free to check papers of anyone who looks Mexican, he actually wants to turn the whole country into Arizona.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is he seriously saying that people will get turned away from America if they have "the wrong ideology"?
what the gently caress is this poo poo

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Augus posted:

is he seriously saying that people will get turned away from America if they have "the wrong ideology"?
what the gently caress is this poo poo

Hi welcome to Trump Campaign enjoy!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, thats exactly how it worked in Arizona when they passed all of their bullshit

And this is why hispanic voters are pro-immigration. Basically every anti-immigration measure these assholes push is another "You're not white enough" harassment law.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Hot Take: no matter how well Clinton does the media will not say she decisively won the first debate.

If Trump shits his pants on live TV they may give it to her.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

I got to see a real life Trump supporter try that line on two black guys. It was funny.

Do tell.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

He's going to triple the amount of ICE personnel. He's actually working out how to actually do this. Massive in increases in government spending and personnel.

"Conservatism", ladies and gentlemen.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Republican party, the home of "why the hell do I have to press one for english"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ErIog posted:

They needed to draw some kind of equivalency after Trump pissed off Gold Star families by criticizing the Khans. So he's trying to act like angel moms are a real thing so he can pull the, "well what about.." game to deflect from questions about him going after the Khan family.

I think it's actually supposed to be a foil to the mothers of minorities murdered by the police because they've been trotting the angel moms out since before the RNC

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Donkwich posted:

"Conservatism", ladies and gentlemen.

This is the new conservatism. gently caress small government, we need that heavy duty poo poo to suppress "the enemy."

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

DemeaninDemon posted:

"Sorry you didn't have your blinker on long enough. Back to Mexico you fucker!"

I'm in Florida and this is basically what happened to a photographer who did work for my boss, except he was loaded onto a plane to a different LatAm country.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maddow part two on right now! And she's going into the "Party of Lincoln" and whigs!

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
The Alt-Right is heavily linked to New Atheism so there's also that. Donald "I've never felt the need to ask God forgiveness" Trump is an Atheist i'm 100% sure.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering why Trump said the Democrats were the "party of opposition". Apparently in his prepared script he was meant to say "party of oppression", but misread the word oppression.

:downsbravo:

neoliberal posted:

The Alt-Right is heavily linked to New Atheism so there's also that. Donald "I've never felt the need to ask God forgiveness" Trump is an Atheist i'm 100% sure.

Is it atheism when you believe you are a god?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/Choplogik/status/769996615188877312

Look out, the Johnson surge is coming!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shbobdb posted:

This is wrong on a couple levels, since the sort of secularism I'm advocating isn't a belief system. People are free to believe as long as they don't let their belief intersect with the public sphere. It's a long tradition with many forms such as the most permissive American cultural institution where it is considered rude to talk about religion to more restrictive legal devices like Laicite in France, laiklik in Turkey all the way to outright religious condemnation like the Cultural Revolution. Personally, I'm an advocate for something much more like the Cultural Revolution in America. However, I recognize that this is a fairly extreme and minority position. So, all I'm asking for is to roll back from the Reaganite plague towards the already normalized idea that people shouldn't talk about religion in a professional setting.

If Hillary were an accountant and talked about the role her faith played in making her become an accountant, people would think she was being unprofessional at best and more likely that she is unhinged. Why do we not only give politicians a pass but expect them to talk about religion?

I disagree that atheism qua atheism is a religion. I agree that there are metanarratives that can have atheism as a feature, such as the rational positivism you seem to be strawmanning me as. What does that have to do with anything?

All I've been asking for is a NOMA between politics and religion just as there is a NOMA between science and religion.

Yeah and Hillary's VP is a guy who has in word and deed kept a strict separation between his religious hangups and good public policy so you're wringing your little hands over absolutely nothing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

$30,000 :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Is this a real campaign ad?

• Locked thread