Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Gloomy Rube posted:

Thank you! Found it pretty easily on kissmanga.

But gosh, they're really being jerks these days, huh?

Just wanted to comment on this. They implemented a few measures because they were getting slammed by bots from other manga hosting sites repeatedly spidering them for manga chapters. The bandwidth situation was getting really unaffordable. So, no, they didn't do this just to be mean or elitist or whatever.

This is why I don't use those other manga hosting sites (including Something Awful favorite Kissmanga which is just as guilty of this kind of practice) if I can avoid it. If anything, Kissmanga is one of the real jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Just wanted to comment on this. They implemented a few measures because they were getting slammed by bots from other manga hosting sites repeatedly spidering them for manga chapters. The bandwidth situation was getting really unaffordable. So, no, they didn't do this just to be mean or elitist or whatever.

This is why I don't use those other manga hosting sites (including Something Awful favorite Kissmanga which is just as guilty of this kind of practice) if I can avoid it. If anything, Kissmanga is one of the real jerks.

Kissmanga also frequently has duplicate chapters and chapters out of place, they're awful. With the browser extension to make the batoto chapters load on a single page, kissmanga is pretty much useless

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

The second chapter of The Promised Neverland is up. It's good to see the oddness of the demons wanting their food to be smart being acknowledged.

I wonder what the end game of this story is. Assuming that the world really is run by demons or whatever with humans just being farmed, there isn't a hell of a lot these kids can do even if they succeed in escaping other than living forever as fugitives. The one situation where I could imagine them possibly doing something is if the humans outnumber the demons, which makes something like organizing a revolt possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just because the orphanage/farm is controlled by demons doesn't mean the entire world is.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You do not want to play poker against Teasing Master Takagi, I mean, that's just a losing proposition from the very get-go.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Viz is putting out the Sket Dance guys new manga for free. http://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/astra-lost-in-space

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

coathat posted:

Viz is putting out the Sket Dance guys new manga for free. http://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/astra-lost-in-space

Super-exciting! But this online reader of theirs is terrible!!

coathat
May 21, 2007

Never read manga on a computer. God made iPads for a reason.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

coathat posted:

Never read manga on a computer. God made iPads for a reason.

Oh okay, let me just grab my $300 and run out to the Apple store and buy an iPad for the privilege of reading manga.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Oh okay, let me just grab my $300 and run out to the Apple store and buy an iPad for the privilege of reading manga.

sorry ur poor :dukedog:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Perfect av/post combo IMO. :cheeky:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Or like $60 on some knockoff Chinese tablet with low resolution!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

You can get tablets for like 50 bucks man, especially if they're used, you don't need some top of the line machine for reading the mangs

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

you don't need some top of the line machine for reading the mangs

Like hell you don't. It's an insult to Kishimoto himself when you read Naruto on anything less than the latest iPad model.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

just bought a $2,000 limited edition ipad to read the new boruto manga

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Where'd you get a picture of me? :confused:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is the series Black Butler shounen?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I think so

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is the series Black Butler shounen?

Shonen with a strong female demographic

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Reading this current arc of Black Butler is giving me a headache from the complete tonal shifts between the murder mystery and the J-pop boybands in Victorian England. And the robo-spider legs certainly did not help things.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Promised Neverland chapter 3 is up. It seems smarter kids do indeed taste better, although there's a vaguely plausible scientific-ish explanation given for why that should be so. Norman searching the house he's spent his entire life in, and even repeatedly played hide-and-seek in, for bugs felt a bit silly, although I suppose he must have thought there was a possibility there was something he wouldn't have thought to look closely at before.

Mama having been raised as livestock too was a genuine twist for me. My theory before that was that she was a demon in disguise who sincerely prided herself on raising humans for slaughter humanely, not like those awful factory farms where the kids don't even get fresh air!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Promised Neverland chapter 3 is up. It seems smarter kids do indeed taste better, although there's a vaguely plausible scientific-ish explanation given for why that should be so. Norman searching the house he's spent his entire life in, and even repeatedly played hide-and-seek in, for bugs felt a bit silly, although I suppose he must have thought there was a possibility there was something he wouldn't have thought to look closely at before.

Mama having been raised as livestock too was a genuine twist for me. My theory before that was that she was a demon in disguise who sincerely prided herself on raising humans for slaughter humanely, not like those awful factory farms where the kids don't even get fresh air!

Mangastream link

Wow! That chapter had my heart racing with the tension. Got chills in the page where Mama suddenly appears beside her. Also it's kinda creepy how Emma was able to control her heartbeat like that. She's no ordinary kid, she's a goddamn Bene Gesserit!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I liked the twist of Mama being human because it smashes the assumption that because the monsters are our enemies, all humans are our friends. This could mean a lot of things for the story, though it may be awhile before the full ramifications are revealed.

On the other hand, I'm beginning to suspect the author may have bitten of more than they could chew, making their protagonists geniuses in-universe but lacking the writing chops to bring that fact to the fore. We know they're smart because the story tells us they're smart, not because they've demonstrated any particular intelligence beyond their supreme test-taking abilities. It's possible that's what the author's going for (being book smart but lacking critical thinking skills), but I kinda doubt it.

There's also the pacing, which thus far has been pretty slow. I don't mind that, necessarily, but I question how well it'll run with the Jump crowd.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

I liked the twist of Mama being human because it smashes the assumption that because the monsters are our enemies, all humans are our friends. This could mean a lot of things for the story, though it may be awhile before the full ramifications are revealed.

On the other hand, I'm beginning to suspect the author may have bitten of more than they could chew, making their protagonists geniuses in-universe but lacking the writing chops to bring that fact to the fore. We know they're smart because the story tells us they're smart, not because they've demonstrated any particular intelligence beyond their supreme test-taking abilities. It's possible that's what the author's going for (being book smart but lacking critical thinking skills), but I kinda doubt it.

There's also the pacing, which thus far has been pretty slow. I don't mind that, necessarily, but I question how well it'll run with the Jump crowd.
This really seems like it wants to be a slow-burn seinen rather than a Weekly Shounen Jump title.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Chapter 5 of kyoko suiri was translated:

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/inspectre-r15355

It's apparently been licensed though, so probably no new chapters until kodansha catches up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang. i like that guy's works.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the incredibly silly body swapping mystery mayonaka x giten has finally revealed the identity of the mysterious mastermind. spoiler: it is real dumb.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Figures. That author is awful at writing good/satisfying endings.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Serious Frolicking posted:

the incredibly silly body swapping mystery mayonaka x giten has finally revealed the identity of the mysterious mastermind. spoiler: it is real dumb.

who is it tell me

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i stopped reading that when it turned out it was secretly about shounen super powers

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the split personality of the guy who was in jail for killing his family, which had jumped bodies

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always kind of assumed it was the dead sister

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that would've been the interesting option.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Sprite seems kinda bad, which is in line with the mangaka's previous works.

Iron Knight wasn't a terrible premise but this guy seems to like coming up with neat ideas that he has no idea what to do with.

This time it's airships powered by people who have thunderbones.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn, gosu.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Irritated Goat posted:

I really wonder if Makoto Raiku woke up one morning and decided Gash Bell wasn't even close to as weird as he could be. This god drat manga is off the deep end.

gash bell is the greatest fuckin thing

its pure, unabashed shonen. just trope upon trope, played to the hilt without blinking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

gash bell is the greatest fuckin thing

its pure, unabashed shonen. just trope upon trope, played to the hilt without blinking.
Yep, and it plays them well

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Red Sprite was a super nothing first chapter. I doubt I'll even bother with the second.

I'll probably give the Promised Neverland until the end of September to prove itself, then cut my losses. I wanna like it, but it keeps doing things that irritate me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone been following the new series from the Soul Eater author? I keep meaning to check it out but never get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

Has anyone been following the new series from the Soul Eater author? I keep meaning to check it out but never get around to it.

it is competently made, but it doesn't really grab me most of the time. it does the same "character would be incredibly competent if they weren't also so incredibly dumb that it is surprising that they can manage to dress themselves" thing as soul eater, though. i was never really a fan of that aspect.