Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

:siren: Good News Everyone!

Power of the Daleks might be coming to DVD! In animated form.

https://whopix.wordpress.com/2016/08/22/power-of-the-daleks-animated/

That'll do...... for now :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If this is true, and a completely missing serial is being animated and released officially, then the BBC must have gotten a surplus of funding that makes the Tories angry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Awesome! This'll be the best Christmas Walford's ever seen!

What's wrong with you?!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

What's wrong with you?!

I'm secretly Nick Cotton.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've decided to start watching through most of the Pertwee era, skipping past the stories I've heard are worse than war crimes (or that I've watched before). Just finished Ambassadors of Death and jesus it was a slog. At least I've had a chance to experience the title sequence and the bizarre upbeat UNIT theme.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cargohills posted:

I've decided to start watching through most of the Pertwee era, skipping past the stories I've heard are worse than war crimes (or that I've watched before). Just finished Ambassadors of Death and jesus it was a slog. At least I've had a chance to experience the title sequence and the bizarre upbeat UNIT theme.

Counterpoint it's fantastic

Also there's very very few bad Pertwee stories (like maybe 2 or 3), let alone really awful ones; nothing akin to The Invasion of TIme or Timelash.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 31, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Pertwee's first season is all great, too. Liz Shaw was the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cargohills posted:

skipping past the stories I've heard are worse than war crimes

As you should know by now, there's no such thing as a consensus opinion for Doctor Who episodes, it's very possible the ones you've heard are bad you'll actually enjoy. Or even if you found it bad, if you mentioned that then plenty of people would say,"Actually it's good!" ..... just like The Ambassadors........ OF DEATH (MrL_JaKiri is right, it's fantastic).

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counterpoint it's fantastic

Also there's very very few bad Pertwee stories (like maybe 2 or 3), let alone really awful ones; nothing akin to The Invasion of TIme or Timelash.

Have you ever heard of a little something called Death to the Daleks?

I'd agree that Pertwee is generally pretty good, but I'm honestly just skipping as many stories as I feel like I can so I actually manage to watch a decent amount. I've decided to do this until I get to the end of Peter Davison at the very least and I want to get there before the next Doctor is cast.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 31, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

Have you ever heard of a little something called Death to the Daleks?

It's not brilliant, but it does have some good ideas in it; 3/5 is what it says in my Doctor Who ratings list!

Also it had KHS's favourite sound effect

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For reference, I'd say the poor Pertwees are Curse/Monster, Planet of the Daleks and one of either The Time Monster or The Mind of Evil if I'm feeling uncharitable to either story.

Jerusalem posted:

MrL_JaKiri is right

Goes without saying

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I just have such little patience for boring Dalek stories. Guess that's what I get for Remembrance and Revelation being some of the first Doctor Who I ever saw.

e: out of those I'm skipping Time Monster and Mind of Evil. Also Death, Colony in Space and The Mutants.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pertwee might have the best first season of any Doctor that still exists.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:argh:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Man if this was 1995 this would be a really dark comment

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Mind of Evil

This one really suffers from being able to watch it all in one go. I'm sure the constant taking and retaking of the prison probably was masked a bit better by having to wait a week between episodes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Burkion posted:

I still think it's the best for sustained quality with almost no missteps.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Someone British needs to explain BBC Three to me ahead of Class - does it have a linear channel, or is everything On Demand?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

Someone British needs to explain BBC Three to me ahead of Class - does it have a linear channel, or is everything On Demand?

It used to be a linear channel that was on real TV, but budget cuts have forced the content online so it's basically all VOD now, with some micro-vid, social media and blog content on top of the longer form video

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been working through the first Short Trips anthology...Colin Baker's story was absolutely delightful and he needs to write more posthaste

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gaz-L posted:

It used to be a linear channel that was on real TV, but budget cuts have forced the content online so it's basically all VOD now, with some micro-vid, social media and blog content on top of the longer form video

Interesting. Do new episodes debut weekly or all at once? I'm hoping it's the former, so BBC America can show them on a same-day delay.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

Pertwee's first season is all great, too. Liz Shaw was the best.

:swoon:

Speaking of 3, I started listening to the Tim Treloar stuff tonight. I see what everyone was saying, he's close, but doesn't *quite* nail it the way Frazer does with 2, or even Peter Purves with 1 (or say the way Mark Elstob uncannily imitates Patrick McGoohan on the new Prisoner audios). He can get the quieter parts of Pertwee, but so far I'm not hearing him being able to do the shouty and more emotional bits when Pertwee got his dander up. Still though, I can forget I'm not hearing someone else and just hear the Third Doctor, and of course the period perfect dialogue and music go a long way. Katy Manning is in fine form doing her 20 year old voice as well. I'm not too far in though, but so far so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're in Australia, JB HiFi currently has classic Doctor Who dvd's on special for about $12-15AU apiece AND 2-for-1. They also have the two and three-serial DVD sets for about $24AU apiece. Those are also 2-for-1.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're in Australia, JB HiFi currently has classic Doctor Who dvd's on special for about $12-15AU apiece AND 2-for-1. They also have the two and three-serial DVD sets for about $24AU apiece. Those are also 2-for-1.

Wow that's pretty great, I'm gonna move to Australia!
looks up Australia's immigration policy
Nevermind.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This month's Big Finish Listener's Title is the 6th Doctor Lost Story The First Sontarans, discounted to $2.99 on download for the whole month.

Edit: So I had that same issue again where I checked out and got a BF site error page. I received a paypal confirmation email, but not a receipt from Big Finish. I have discovered that going to my account page and hitting "refresh my download list" will pop up the stories, but it was still a disconcerting couple of minutes.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 1, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone give me a cliffnotes on Sara Kingdom? Tardis wiki says she was only ever in one story, yet there are Companion Chronicles and Early Adventures where she was traveling with Steven and the Doctor?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Can someone give me a cliffnotes on Sara Kingdom? Tardis wiki says she was only ever in one story, yet there are Companion Chronicles and Early Adventures where she was traveling with Steven and the Doctor?

It was one massive, massive story - the Dalek's Master Plan. It's 12 parts long and is at least two stories smushed together (three if you count Feast). There's as much room in there to have stories involving her as there are other characters from that era, as stories at that point flowed into each other much more.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anyway, short version: she's an intergalactic spy from the future

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Gotcha. So there was some implied "and they travelled around for a bit" baked into the story itself?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The audios with Steven and Sara are particularly good!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

The audios with Steven and Sara are particularly good!

I'm two episodes in to An Ordinary Life (so no spoilers please!) and I'm really enjoying it! Steven has fast been becoming a favorite of mine, and he seems to play well off of Sara.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Gotcha. So there was some implied "and they travelled around for a bit" baked into the story itself?

Quite the opposite, but they ignore that happily for the other characters so why not this one?

(Back in the day, the programme - while broken up into serials - was broadcast as individual episodes rather than Planet of the Wombats Part II or whatnot. The last shot of a story would be the first of the next one, a habit which was used to create one of the top three cliffhangers in the programme's history* in The Ark)

*The other two being the countdown in Inferno and the obvious one from Dragonfire

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Quite the opposite, but they ignore that happily for the other characters so why not this one?

(Back in the day, the programme - while broken up into serials - was broadcast as individual episodes rather than Planet of the Wombats Part II or whatnot. The last shot of a story would be the first of the next one, a habit which was used to create one of the top three cliffhangers in the programme's history* in The Ark)

*The other two being the countdown in Inferno and the obvious one from Dragonfire

Oh I'm familiar with the old broadcast strategy. I just figured that if they were going to bring back a literal one-serial companion, there would be some manner of narrative space for her to fit into.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sara Kingdom's one story was extremely memorable (even in spite of being mostly non-existent now!) and the way she left the show is absolutely terrifying.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jivjov posted:

I'm two episodes in to An Ordinary Life (so no spoilers please!) and I'm really enjoying it! Steven has fast been becoming a favorite of mine, and he seems to play well off of Sara.

[spoiler[Steven is absolutely awesome and you should buy every audio Peter Purves does! His Hartnell is fantastic too.[/spoiler]

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Big Finish Sara is her own thing, which is why everyone needs to listen to Home Truths, The Drowned World, and Guardian of the Solar System like, yesterday. :colbert:

Also because they're very good and actually do something with the framing narrative and ohmygod Jean Marsh.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
And again the prophet jivjov speaks and blesses us with a bargain, this time on The Companion Chronicles range.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

After The War posted:

Big Finish Sara is her own thing, which is why everyone needs to listen to Home Truths, The Drowned World, and Guardian of the Solar System like, yesterday. :colbert:

Also because they're very good and actually do something with the framing narrative and ohmygod Jean Marsh.

Just saw that Jean Marsh was Mombi in Return to Oz.

Nope. Nope nope nope. Noooooooope.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

And again the prophet jivjov speaks and blesses us with a bargain, this time on The Companion Chronicles range.

This is dangerous. There are too many CCs and I want to buy them ALLLLL because they are cheap.

How little food can I eat for two weeks and still live?

Edit: I once again lament the inability to use PayPal Credit internationally.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, so apparently a workaround would be to have someone send me a PayPal invoice/payment request, which I would then pay with my PayPal credit. Then that person sends the money back to me as a simple Friends and Family transfer that would put the money in my account as PayPal balance, which I could then spend on sweet sweet audio dramas.

Any trustworthy goons willing to help me move money around?

EDIT: got a coworker to help me....I own all the companion chronicles now. All of them. Send help.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 2, 2016

• Locked thread