Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Celexi posted:

People should really stop confusing Brazil as some left paradise or some such, the European left compared to anything "left" in Brazil would be basically Lenin communism. and democrats far left. Brazil is a really quite a right wing place, whenever i read news on Brazil i thank the gods that we split up from Brazil.

What country are you from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Portugal

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Enrique Peña Nieto must be really, really stupid.
I guess he must be really stoked about this wall idea!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Celexi posted:

Portugal

I was under the impression that history was reversed. That Brazil used to be just Portugal's puppet.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that history was reversed. That Brazil used to be just Portugal's puppet.

I don't think either was a puppet, the royal family moved to brazil around the time of spanish invasion , when they returned the one left behind decided he didnt want to answer to his parents and made it independent.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bit of context:

Portugal colonized and conquered Brazil, Napoleon happened, Brits evacuated the Portuguese royal family to Brazil, the royals brought the metropolitan administrative apparatus to the colony, promoted Brazil to the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve, Napoleon lost, the Portuguese wanted to turn Brazil back into a colony, Brazilians got pissed, the prince Pedro I felt more in tune with the Brazilians and told the Portuguese he wouldn't go back to Portugal, a while later led the independence, however poo poo got screaming hot and the Portuguese just had a revolution demanding the restoration of the monarchy and Pedro I went "oops sry gtg k thx bai", leaving his baby son the throne of Brazil while a fuckton of regional revolts got going.

early imperial brazil 101

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/EPN/status/771118159654891520?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Cuqueado por El Papá Naranja. Triste!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Did someone tag me wrong? I mean I didn't say anything bad about Latin America in this thread...at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so they're actually getting rid of dilma?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

icantfindaname posted:

so they're actually getting rid of dilma?

Already did as of yesterday.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Badger of Basra posted:

My guess would be that he expected Hillary to go, and Donald to refuse to go. This of course backfired hilariously, as things tend to do when you're Enrique Peña Nieto.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Celexi posted:

I don't think either was a puppet, the royal family moved to brazil around the time of spanish invasion , when they returned the one left behind decided he didnt want to answer to his parents and made it independent.

It's fascinating the different take you guys have on this, I never heard it before... Or even thought about it under Portugal's perspective.

(I'm not trying to sound smug or condescending)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I mean seriously, this isn't cool. I haven't even made a statement about Latin America and I get an avatar and tag change? Money is tight right now, I don't know if I should spend the money to change it back. :(

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Celexi posted:

Transmetropolitan posted:

Bit of context:

Portugal colonized and conquered Brazil, Napoleon happened, Brits evacuated the Portuguese royal family to Brazil, the royals brought the metropolitan administrative apparatus to the colony, promoted Brazil to the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and Algarve, Napoleon lost, the Portuguese wanted to turn Brazil back into a colony, Brazilians got pissed, the prince Pedro I felt more in tune with the Brazilians and told the Portuguese he wouldn't go back to Portugal, a while later led the independence, however poo poo got screaming hot and the Portuguese just had a revolution demanding the restoration of the monarchy and Pedro I went "oops sry gtg k thx bai", leaving his baby son the throne of Brazil while a fuckton of regional revolts got going.

early imperial brazil 101

The monarchy went to Brasil instead of the African colonies, Azores or Madeira because by that time in history Brazil was this gigantic powerhouse being under control of a country smaller than pernambuco. By installing the monarchy in Brasil the royal house would get a proper grip on a colony that they deeply feared would flee from their grasp all the while being much closer to the locals to assist them in solving their problems (mostly by musket fire but wtvr). That's why it took so long for the monarchy to return to Portugal. It's not that they didn't want to return to Lisbon, it's just that creating such a tremendous distance between the royal house and Brazil again would most likely risk the bond for good.

Dom Pedro did not exactly rebel against the king, everything clearly points out that the "monarchist rebellion" was a way to channel the revolutionary and emancipation streght of the locals into something that could still be very closely tied to Portugal. So tied that eventually when D.Miguel led an ultra reactionary movement in Portugal to destroy the liberal values of the constitutional monarchy and reform a new absolutist regime there was a security measure against it by having a proper liberal in Brasil to come back and take care of business.

Portugal and Brasil's fates were still very much intwertwined for the rest of the 19th century. Portugal still based a large portion of it's economy in the wealth that still poured from Brasil. Most 19th century revolts in Portugal occur when the belts get tightened due to some large shitstorm erupting in BRasil.

Anyway:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just in case you still thought that coup was to strong a word for what happened in Brazil, a new law has been implemented that allows the budget maneuvers that Dilma was accused of.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 3, 2016

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I will say just by looking at a clip from Temer's speech he does seem very much on the economic-right on the scale internationally (and probably from the rest of Latin America) as well. The PMDB is an opportunist party at its heart, but it does seem the chips are down they currently moved to a deeply right-wing economic position. For Brazil he may be moderate, but from anyone from the outside looking it, it looks reactionary.

It also pokes a hole in the "Lula" method of reform, ultimately a retrenchment from the right is going to likely to move turn many of the positive (but still often limited) changes that occurred. That said, I am continually interested in people celebrating the "end" of the pink wave in Latin America. Isn't it evident that the pink wave happened in the first place because center-right to right governments across Latin America left large portions of their population behind in the first place? Lula attempted to address the issue with gradual reform but seem to be a apart of a political system that was always hostile to even the most modest changes.

The PSUV has been a miserable failure in Venezuela, and while certainly the legacy of the left and the center-left in Latin America is more mixed, but at the same time it seems impossible actual be happy with a return to the right when so little has been changed. Moreover, the support for those governments was honest because many people honestly desired change and it is hard to believe a return to the status quo is going to actually address inequality. I guess the hope is to look at the failure of both Chavez and (very likely) of Lula but that is probably going to be a difficult task without just giving up and going third-way.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 2, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joepinetree posted:

Just in case you still thought that coup was to strong a word for what happened in Brazil, a new law had been implemented that allows the budget maneuvers that Dilma was accused of.

That is amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Just in case you still thought that coup was to strong a word for what happened in Brazil, a new law had been implemented that allows the budget maneuvers that Dilma was accused of.

Yeah I cackled like mad at that. Astounding.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Not even the writers of House of Cards could handle this poo poo

(Also, lots of burnt stuff right in front of my place)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
*Reads south-american newspapers* Well, it seems "left" (lol) is out of fashion, now it's all about the right. Thankfully I moved to Europe wher- *reads european newspapers* gently caress

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

*Reads south-american newspapers*
Oh my no stop don't do that

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pochoclo posted:

*Reads south-american newspapers* Well, it seems "left" (lol) is out of fashion, now it's all about the right. Thankfully I moved to Europe wher- *reads european newspapers* gently caress

you can move to

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Kurtofan posted:

you can move to

Kurdistan?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Podemos is polling at respectable figures in Spain if political deadlock is your cup of tea.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

Podemos is polling at respectable figures in Spain if political deadlock is your cup of tea.

I've heard form people that they are essentially Venezuela's PSUV (Chavez's party) but for Spain. Not sure how true that is.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've heard form people that they are essentially Venezuela's PSUV (Chavez's party) but for Spain. Not sure how true that is.

It isn't, but I suppose all anti-establishment parties are the same for a right-winger. Their political program is essentially "70's style european social democracy was cool and good also hang rajoy".

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a BBC journo got beaten by riot cops

quote:

Felipe Souza on what looks like a phone camera, in the street wearing a helmet
A group of riot police suddenly decided to change course. I leaned against the wall to wait for them to pass. I was wearing a BBC Brazil vest and badge and I raised my hands and said I was press. "Move over!" said at least four police just before catching me with truncheon blows on the right forearm, left hand, right shoulder, chest and right leg. My forearm swelled up and turned purple. The phone I was using fell to the ground and the screen was broken. Luckily, the blow I took to the chest was cushioned by the vest I was wearing. I also wore a helmet and gas mask - complying with internal BBC rules for covering demonstrations. The Secretariat of Public Security of Sao Paulo said that "the facts narrated by the reporter will be investigated and the journalist should file a police report".

Funny how European media starts caring about the violence only when it's one of theirs who's at the receiving end of a cop truncheon.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

It isn't, but I suppose all anti-establishment parties are the same for a right-winger. Their political program is essentially "70's style european social democracy was cool and good also hang rajoy".

They did get money from Chavez, just not recently. And there is a clear influence from PSUV because Spain is one of the most attractive countries for them to run to once the country collapses since nobody in the Venezuelan government knows how to speak English properly, so, they want somebody willing to save their asses in charge. Half of Diosdado Cabello's family lives in Spain already.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Friendly Humour posted:

To be fair it was a Venezuelan living in Spain who told me this.

In his own words: "Podemos is the same party as the PSUV, just different actors."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Venezuelan exiles are second only to Cuban in worminess, do not trust them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fnox posted:

They did get money from Chavez, just not recently. And there is a clear influence from PSUV because Spain is one of the most attractive countries for them to run to once the country collapses since nobody in the Venezuelan government knows how to speak English properly, so, they want somebody willing to save their asses in charge. Half of Diosdado Cabello's family lives in Spain already.

Getting funding from someone doesn't mean loving anything, mate. loving hell, I don't even know half the people funding my research team.

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair it was a Venezuelan living in Spain who told me this.

In his own words: "Podemos is the same party as the PSUV, just different actors."

I think I can guess his political leanings. loving hell, that is some tea party level of partisanship.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i'm glad you all got into that subject before I could, hehe, since I can't give Venezuelans poo poo for that but I also get this overwhelming "coxinha" vibe emanating from the ones that can bail out.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I'm not right wing, but I know very well that PSUV has a direct interest in Podemos that they don't mask, and Rafael Isea, a high ranking PSUV defector confirmed to have implied a significant amount of money being sent over to them. I know that this seems sensationalist because the right wing in Spain loves to push this agenda, but it's actually true.

Friendly Humour posted:

Getting funding from someone doesn't mean loving anything, mate. loving hell, I don't even know half the people funding my research team.

Lmao, of course not. Because it's only a coincidence global warming deniers happen to be funded by oil companies and Koch industries. What are you talking about? Them taking money from Chavez, even if it was 5 years ago means A LOT, no one who has taken money from PSUV can be trusted.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doesn't the PSUV donate money to practically every leftist political party? Serious question.

fnox
May 19, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Doesn't the PSUV donate money to practically every leftist political party? Serious question.

Nope, most parties know better, and they've lost a lot of allies in South America in Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, while their remaining friends Bolivia and Ecuador are themselves weakened. PSUV's range of influences are very strictly limited now that they've lost most ideological support. It wasn't long ago when British leftists praised the Bolivarian revolution, but where are they now? PSUV's other friends are Cuba obviously, Caricom nations, China and Russia (to a degree, they've distanced in recent years).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fnox posted:

Nope, most parties know better, and they've lost a lot of allies in South America in Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil, while their remaining friends Bolivia and Ecuador are themselves weakened. PSUV's range of influences are very strictly limited now that they've lost most ideological support. It wasn't long ago when British leftists praised the Bolivarian revolution, but where are they now? PSUV's other friends are Cuba obviously, Caricom nations, China and Russia (to a degree, they've distanced in recent years).

Yeah but five years ago they still showed the support to those countries that no abandoned them I believe.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wasn't Podemos under investigation for receiving money from Venezuela? And their leader used to write speeches for Chavez too.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

fnox posted:

The Kirchners and the Frente Amplio received millions from Venezuela. Either directly or masked under suspicious activities. Like setting up a company to export books to Venezuela and then that company donates money to the campaign.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Polidoro posted:

The Kirchners and the Frente Amplio received millions from Venezuela. Either directly or masked under suspicious activities. Like setting up a company to export books to Venezuela and then that company donates money to the campaign.

The intention for most of these bribes is to be able to get items, even regular foodstuffs like milk, in bulk. The government needs (or at least needed, apparently) those for campaigning in Venezuela, poo poo like Mercal and Tu Casa Equipada are wonderfully populist measures that get them votes at the expense of actual economic development. As far as I'm aware of though, Podemos is the only party in Europe they have direct ties to that don't follow this scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fnox posted:

The intention for most of these bribes is to be able to get items, even regular foodstuffs like milk, in bulk. The government needs (or at least needed, apparently) those for campaigning in Venezuela, poo poo like Mercal and Tu Casa Equipada are wonderfully populist measures that get them votes at the expense of actual economic development. As far as I'm aware of though, Podemos is the only party in Europe they have direct ties to that don't follow this scheme.

What the gently caress are you on about? Anyway, assuming a secret deal exists with exactly zero evidence is so retarded, I am amazed I'm actually having to explain basic logic.