Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

No. If you look at the credits it's for BvS: Dawn of Justice.

Thank god.
Deathstroke is a poo poo tier villain.
Especially since there's a movie with Deadpool, a character that's specifically a parody of Deathstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Deathstroke is likely the villain of the new flick; sorry. DC released a gif. of Deathstroke walking towards the camera.

I agree he's a poo poo villain.

He's ok when he's used as a flunkie like Deadshot, or against literal children like the Teen Titans, and sometimes a Green Arrow villain because Green Arrow is B-tier Batman which makes Deathstroke a legitimate threat... but when he's put as a main antagonist for Batman or any of the Justice League his proto-90s "badass antihero" roots show and show hard.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Heard the weirdest defense of the editing for Batfleck vs Cavillman the other day. Was talking with one of my girlfriend's friends about it and he likes it because it made it feel like a comic book in motion. After pointing out Ang Lee did it exactly like a comic book a few years back, he still said bvs wasn't bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd buy that more if Cavill and Affleck didn't look like sacks of meatballs in gimp suits. Snyder is legitimately very good with portraying motion, but without a story that's worth a drat all you're watching is the equivalent of male ballet. Underlit, muddy ballet at that. And that's cool if that's your thing, but when you're trying to build a mega-franchise around pop mythological characters you need to give a reason for the audience to invest beyond "I read the Dark Knight Returns and wanted to see it on-screen."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blizzy_Cow posted:

it made it feel like a comic book in motion.

I think someone could make a pretty good argument along the lines of "comics are just a series of well composed images in sequence and so is this movie"

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Deathstroke is likely the villain of the new flick; sorry. DC released a gif. of Deathstroke walking towards the camera.

I agree he's a poo poo villain.

He's ok when he's used as a flunkie like Deadshot, or against literal children like the Teen Titans, and sometimes a Green Arrow villain because Green Arrow is B-tier Batman which makes Deathstroke a legitimate threat... but when he's put as a main antagonist for Batman or any of the Justice League his proto-90s "badass antihero" roots show and show hard.

Oh for goodness sake.
I guess that the best we can hope for is Affleck writing a decent script. I liked Argo, although I didn't think it was Oscar worthy.

Also Cavilleman posted this on Instagram, which might be Superman's black suit.

So it looks like they're going full on death and resurrection of Superman. With Snyder as director I assume this means he'll lose his mind from being dead and coming back to life and go on a murder spree.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

Oh for goodness sake.
I guess that the best we can hope for is Affleck writing a decent script. I liked Argo, although I didn't think it was Oscar worthy.

Well he's not David Goyer, so that's a huge step in the right direction. I want him gone even more than Snyder. Batman is a piss-easy character, so I think there's a fair chance of it being decent enough. I probably won't like it but then again I 100% believe Batman Begins is the best Batman movie since 1989 so what the gently caress do I know?

quote:

So it looks like they're going full on death and resurrection of Superman. With Snyder as director I assume this means he'll lose his mind from being dead and coming back to life and go on a murder spree.

The worst part is there's 0 chance they'll include Superboy, Steel, the Eradicator, and Cyborg-Superman all of whom owned bones and were the only good thing to come out of the Death of Superman story. I seriously wonder what DC's fascination with this story and The Dark Knight Returns is. Like it's pathological at this point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the Deathstroke tweet:

https://twitter.com/benaffleck/status/770259217940746245

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh god why does it seem like he's walking on the moon that's even worse than I remember

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would totally watch a movie where batman fights deathstroke on the moon.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Well he's not David Goyer, so that's a huge step in the right direction. I want him gone even more than Snyder. Batman is a piss-easy character, so I think there's a fair chance of it being decent enough. I probably won't like it but then again I 100% believe Batman Begins is the best Batman movie since 1989 so what the gently caress do I know?

Batman is a psychotic crazy man who is as bad as the people he locks up. I keep being reminded of that comic where it turns out Alfred is dressing up as the villains because he can't bring himself to have Bruce committed to Arkham.

mind the walrus posted:

The worst part is there's 0 chance they'll include Superboy, Steel, the Eradicator, and Cyborg-Superman all of whom owned bones and were the only good thing to come out of the Death of Superman story. I seriously wonder what DC's fascination with this story and The Dark Knight Returns is. Like it's pathological at this point.

The only Steel I will accept now is the Shaq one :colbert:
I'm still annoyed that DC made the Killing Joke canon, even Alan Moore disowned it. This pathological need to be dark and brooding and brutal is weird and off putting. What I think I'm saying is bring back Adam West Batman.
Honestly I wish I wasn't such a man-child that has opinions about comic book movies.

Serious Frolicking posted:

:same:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

Batman is a psychotic crazy man who is as bad as the people he locks up. I keep being reminded of that comic where it turns out Alfred is dressing up as the villains because he can't bring himself to have Bruce committed to Arkham.

True, but he's also very easy to write relative to other heroes. The Flash you can kind-of get away with because his schtick is halfway between Spider-Man and Superman. Superman is tough. Wonder Woman is tough. Green Lantern is tough. And so on down the loving list. And I mean tough for anyone, much less the guys running the DC film division. I maintain the best course for them would be to make a series of Teen Titans movies all about the 20-something heroes trying to build their own identities outside of their forebearers, with the JLA in guest-star capacity.

quote:

The only Steel I will accept now is the Shaq one :colbert:

I'm still kind-of annoyed they shoved him into the background after Grant Morrison tried to make him the "Iron Man" of the Justice League... only for DC to upgrade Cyborg for that role because "WAH I'M A ROBOT AND IT SUCKS" is easier to sell than "I liked Superman so much I got my poo poo together and became DC's Iron Man."

quote:

I'm still annoyed that DC made the Killing Joke canon, even Alan Moore disowned it. This pathological need to be dark and brooding and brutal is weird and off putting. What I think I'm saying is bring back Adam West Batman.

You're in luck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jBRFNAXr8

quote:

Honestly I wish I wasn't such a man-child that has opinions about comic book movies.

I'm sorry I have no idea what that must be like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in one of the video games didn't they have you fight deathstroke in a vehicle battle instead of mano a mano which wouldve made since as they're similar dudes with similar abilities.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Adam West sounds like a grandpa in that. Probably because he's 87.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone's saying that. Just enjoy the final 60s Batman revival. They even got Julie Newmar.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

True, but he's also very easy to write relative to other heroes. The Flash you can kind-of get away with because his schtick is halfway between Spider-Man and Superman. Superman is tough. Wonder Woman is tough. Green Lantern is tough. And so on down the loving list. And I mean tough for anyone, much less the guys running the DC film division. I maintain the best course for them would be to make a series of Teen Titans movies all about the 20-something heroes trying to build their own identities outside of their forebearers, with the JLA in guest-star capacity.

I don't know much about the Titans but I'm in if it would be enjoyable to watch.
I liked the little bit of the Flash from the JL trailer. I just think the writing is being especially lazy with all the grim dark shite, instead of stepping back and finding a comfortable medium between that and the Joss Whedon snarky dialogue that takes you out of the movie.
The funny thing is in the Wonder Woman trailer when she's in costume, cracking people's heads I'm sold, then the rest of the trailer happened and it was just meh.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm still kind-of annoyed they shoved him into the background after Grant Morrison tried to make him the "Iron Man" of the Justice League... only for DC to upgrade Cyborg for that role because "WAH I'M A ROBOT AND IT SUCKS" is easier to sell than "I liked Superman so much I got my poo poo together and became DC's Iron Man."

Steel being a Superman fanboy was the best part of his character.

This is totally my jam, but Adam West sounds rough :ohdear:

mind the walrus posted:

I'm sorry I have no idea what that must be like.

It's probably for the best.
Thanks for indulging me though :downs:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ultrabindu posted:

I don't know much about the Titans but I'm in if it would be enjoyable to watch.

* Nightwing trying to strike out on his own in Bludhaven. Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy/Arsenal joins him; he develops a drug problem. Sexy love triangle between Starfire and Batgirl. An appropriate place to use Deathstroke.

* Donna Troy and Raven travel mystical realms. Raven wants to try and stop her crazy demon dad. Donna Troy just wants to get away from being "Little Miss Perfect" for Wonder Woman. Donna finds her own identity and role in protecting the multiverse for the mysterious Monitors.

* Wally West is trying to live up to the legacy of Barry Allen after Barry disappeared under mysterious circumstances as the new Flash in sunny midwest Central City. He's nowhere near as smart as Barry was and still very much training. He can get his own Reverse-Flash to fight.

* Supergirl travels out in space to try and find anywhere that doesn't worship Superman. She has to save a planet on her own. Maybe she meets the Legion of Superheros or travels to the far future with them I don't know.

* Cyborg can still be Cyborg cause whatever I don't give a gently caress. "WAH I'M A ROBOT NOW AND IT SUCKS."

Then bring them all together to deal with a JLA controlled by Starro or something.

It lets these grimdark weirdos run free with characters that don't have the same iconography of the JLA and much more flexibility in their story potential. They're young and sexy 20-somethings angry at Mommy and Daddy in the last throes of adolesence. It's loving perfect but nooooooooooooo let's do Batman for literally the 9th time.

quote:

I liked the little bit of the Flash from the JL trailer. I just think the writing is being especially lazy with all the grim dark shite, instead of stepping back and finding a comfortable medium between that and the Joss Whedon snarky dialogue that takes you out of the movie.

I really hated the bit of Flash. The slo-mo scene went on for way too loving long to show that Barry Allen has super-speed. What would have been better if Batfleck picked up something valuable from a desk and hucked it directly towards the ground. Barry super-speeds and catches it, showing him at Bruce's feet. Neat visual storytelling nice and er--quick.

quote:

The funny thing is in the Wonder Woman trailer when she's in costume, cracking people's heads I'm sold, then the rest of the trail happened and it was just meh.

I had hopes but the trailer was so loving bad. Why is she in WWI thematically? Why do we care? The dialogue shown was the definition of stock Wonder Woman lines. "WHERE I COME FROM WOMEN HAVE AGENCY :downs:" "Ooh as a woman in the 1910s I think that's awesome."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

* Nightwing trying to strike out on his own in Bludhaven. Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy/Arsenal joins him; he develops a drug problem. Sexy love triangle between Starfire and Batgirl. An appropriate place to use Deathstroke.

* Donna Troy and Raven travel mystical realms. Raven wants to try and stop her crazy demon dad. Donna Troy just wants to get away from being "Little Miss Perfect" for Wonder Woman. Donna finds her own identity and role in protecting the multiverse for the mysterious Monitors.

* Wally West is trying to live up to the legacy of Barry Allen after Barry disappeared under mysterious circumstances as the new Flash in sunny :siren: :siren: :siren:

clean up your desk and be out of here by 5

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Serious Frolicking posted:

:same: In Superman 4: The Quest for Peace, Superman fights Nuclear Man on the moon and that film is good, so

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

mind the walrus posted:

Oh god why does it seem like he's walking on the moon that's even worse than I remember

Stomping around in rigid armor plates and a stab proof polymer undersuit tight enough to jam your balls into your stomach doesn't lead to agile prancing in real life. Plus that's "tough guy walk #382" straight from the book "How to HACK it in Movies!"

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I assumed the Batman thing was a "fun with real audio" type deal. Pleasantly surprised.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lazorexplosion posted:

:same: In Superman 4: The Quest for Peace, Superman fights Nuclear Man on the moon and that film is good, so

It really does have to be seen to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVsd5ubpJ4

It's an important moment in superhero movie history because it killed off the Superman franchise for 19 years and changed the direction of superhero movies - they've been markedly darker and more 'grounded' and less camp ever since. The 90s Batman franchise eventually tried to return to camp and also paid the price.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It really does have to be seen to be believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVsd5ubpJ4

It's an important moment in superhero movie history because it killed off the Superman franchise for 19 years and changed the direction of superhero movies - they've been markedly darker and more 'grounded' and less camp ever since. The 90s Batman franchise eventually tried to return to camp and also paid the price.

That's a shame, because Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin was a step in the right direction. At the very least, it gave us some of the finest ice puns that mankind will ever know. I yen for the alternate dimension Batman Begins that's a campy schlock fest.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
No one should take the idea of batman seriously

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Holy poo poo! I just got a chance to watch that Superman vs Nuclear Man on the moon fight. We need more superhero movies like that.

As an aside, Superman shows more of his character in the scene by adjusting the crooked American flag than Cavill manages to brood in an entire movie.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ultrabindu posted:

Oh for goodness sake.

I like how the close-up reveals how the injection molding couldn't fill in all those lil detail lines for the raised pattern, looks unbelievably lovely so of course DC fans love it

also a snyder superman resurrection is gonna be the public wailing and crying about how hosed and helpless they all are because they didn't appreciate superman enough before he hosed off to death (aka Clark's Gulch). superman's gonna come back and be all emo and everyone's gonna beg the ubermensch to come lord over humanity again and how sorry they are that they misunderstood his genius and how critics of supermen are wrong and stupid.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you idiots

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

For Superman to be a true Randian ideal, he needs to rape someone. My money is on the Flash.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Stomping around in rigid armor plates and a stab proof polymer undersuit tight enough to jam your balls into your stomach doesn't lead to agile prancing in real life. Plus that's "tough guy walk #382" straight from the book "How to HACK it in Movies!"

Thing that gets me about that video is he looks super bulky. I've seen some excellent cosplay outfits for Deathstroke, with plate armor and everything, and they didn't look like linebackers.

Also, agree about the walk. He shouldn't be thudding along, dude's a ninja Whitman, he should move around like Tom Cruise in Collateral or, better, Forest Whitaker in Ghost Dog. Like he moves around people without being seen in all that gear or they're too afraid to acknowledge he's moving through them.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Young Freud posted:

Thing that gets me about that video is he looks super bulky. I've seen some excellent cosplay outfits for Deathstroke, with plate armor and everything, and they didn't look like linebackers.

Also, agree about the walk. He shouldn't be thudding along, dude's a ninja Whitman, he should move around like Tom Cruise in Collateral or, better, Forest Whitaker in Ghost Dog. Like he moves around people without being seen in all that gear or they're too afraid to acknowledge he's moving through them.

I really hate DC comics but I have some and read Teen Titans and wasn't Deathstroke always portrayed as a guy who wore normal superhero clothes (Stupid weird colored spandex) and his entire point was that he was enhanced and had perfect reflexes and enhanced strength and speed, so he could dodge bullets and do acrobatics and was a master of hand to hand combat?

I even have a Edgy 90s "Deathstroke The Terminator" comic where he is trying to stop terrorists or something and the main fight scene of that issue is him dodging machine gun fire from like 10 guys and flipping around shooting people at different points in his acrobatics.

Arrow and now this are portraying him as some kind of lumbering Titan and it's kind of weird but I assume in the 40 years he has probably been a comic character at some point he was a hugely armored dude that could barely move and used his perfect reflexes to slowly lumber around.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pvt.Scott posted:

Holy poo poo! I just got a chance to watch that Superman vs Nuclear Man on the moon fight. We need more superhero movies like that.

As an aside, Superman shows more of his character in the scene by adjusting the crooked American flag than Cavill manages to brood in an entire movie.

Yeah it's really lovely in the whole Kansas battle, he stops to save literally two people.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah it's really lovely in the whole Kansas battle, he stops to save literally two people.

It's almost as if that movie is the fourth one in a franchise that has already established his character and the other one is the first time he fights anything at his level and doesn't know what's going on.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's almost as if that movie is the fourth one in a franchise that has already established his character and the other one is the first time he fights anything at his level and doesn't know what's going on.

In the first superman movie they establish that superman saves people. Prior to montages of him saving people the audience is shown how the lessons he learns from Pa Kent and Jor El shape his drive to use his powers to help others. Man of Steel on the other hand is just a pile of poo poo.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's almost as if that movie is the fourth one in a franchise that has already established his character

lol

yeah, it was only the previous movies that 'established' his 'character'

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I haven't seen any of the old Superman movies and I've only seen BvS out of the new ones.

Most of my Superman exposure comes from watching the black and white show on Nick at Nite, some really old bootleg cartoons and the handful of times I bothered to watch the Superman or Justice League cartoons when I was in high school.

It's just, here's this dude, come all the way to the moon to fight a dangerous guy so nobody on Earth gets hurt. When he sees the symbol of his nation and of the ideals he believes in standing slightly ajar, on the loving moon where nobody would be able to notice, he must right its pole, as he must also right wrongs. His opponent uses that distraction to get the jump on him. I just thought it was a neat bit of visual storytelling that beat the pants off of anything in BvS. The fight was just glorious schlock.

Did Nuclear Dude tip the flag over as a trap? That would be awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I really hate DC comics but I have some and read Teen Titans and wasn't Deathstroke always portrayed as a guy who wore normal superhero clothes (Stupid weird colored spandex) and his entire point was that he was enhanced and had perfect reflexes and enhanced strength and speed, so he could dodge bullets and do acrobatics and was a master of hand to hand combat?

I even have a Edgy 90s "Deathstroke The Terminator" comic where he is trying to stop terrorists or something and the main fight scene of that issue is him dodging machine gun fire from like 10 guys and flipping around shooting people at different points in his acrobatics.

Arrow and now this are portraying him as some kind of lumbering Titan and it's kind of weird but I assume in the 40 years he has probably been a comic character at some point he was a hugely armored dude that could barely move and used his perfect reflexes to slowly lumber around.

Yes on all counts. He was basically "Goofus" to Batman's "Gallant" for Nightwing. Batman uses his powers to beat up the poor and mentally ill. Deathstroke takes contracts for money. It's an obvious choice you see.

It's part of DC's trend to try and turn Batman into this weird Iron Man/Ninja hybrid which sounds great on paper (and played well in the Arkham games) but is hard to portray when you also want to do Frank-Miller style BEEFEATER Batman. Which would actually make an opponent who could flip around and be Spider-man with guns a decent opponent, but this is the WB so gently caress IT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He fought 3 other Kryptonians and his evil self in 2 and 3.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 1, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Deathstroke's secondary characteristics from the comics are having a boring family of also-rans no one ever cares about, and grooming a teenage girl to infilitrate the Titans and stop them from the inside.

Like DC considers it one of the integral parts of his character

It's creepy as gently caress

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So this old guy just has a hard-on for killing the Teen Titans and he just keeps sending mewling children he may or may not be banging to infiltrate and betray them instead of just stabbing them while they're asleep?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Judas Goat?" Jesus, that's a deep cut. I get the reference, but only because of I think an episode of Radiolab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Otisburg posted:

"Judas Goat?" Jesus, that's a deep cut. I get the reference, but only because of I think an episode of Radiolab.

Is that like, a goat that has all of the sins of the nation put upon it, but right before it is released into the wilderness to be consumed by Azazel, the cops bust down the door because it was a sting all along?

• Locked thread