Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Where's the heroism if they respawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like the healing hard cap is 60% of a unit's total HP. It's going to be a pretty drastic change.

Is that per spell/effect or per fight? Because if it's per fight, that sucks rear end.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
How so?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is that going to include stuff like Sigvalds armor?

It's a good change to make though so long as it isn't invisible to gauge if a heal spell will do anything or not, hero's could get a little silly, especially vamp heroes with the heal spells.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Mukip posted:

How so?

popping health pots on a wizard or low-level champion is now a rather big waste since they have bugger all hp

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is that going to include stuff like Sigvalds armor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8LAFSY3Ws

now I have to finish my chaos campaign before it all gets ruined by the hp nerf :(

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Where's the heroism if they respawn

I always thought that was the only interesting thing about space marines.They're recruited from among the handful of top candidates drawn from an entire planet of warriors, generally. Of those recruits, a minority survive the initial induction processes. Of those who survive to be scouts, a minority survive long enough to be full-fledged space marines. The death of a single space marine ends up being the loss of decades of investment. Not to mention half their gear is a relic from 10,000 years ago and nobody has a clue how to reproduce it anymore. Space marines may be super tough and whatever dumb garbage most people care about, but they're also super hosed because losing a single squad of marines is centuries worth of experience and training down the shitter. It at least gave a modicum of gravitas to what would otherwise be the juvenile power trip nonsense that sigmarines are.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Olesh posted:

Towards the end of my last VC campaign I had a weedy necromancer running around with 19 terrorgeists. It was really satisfying to fly them over to an army, right click the giant mob on basically any non-Hero/Lord unit and watch it get deleted on the charge.

I kind of assumed they are broken or bugged because I never seen the 2 terrorgeists I had to ever go below 60 % health, let alone die. It doesn't matter if they are left completely alone and unsupported. Their only flaw is that they are completely unable to catch cavalry.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Some updates from CA's "What we're working on" blog.

quote:

New Content Team – Total War: WARHAMMER DLC and Free-LC
Having recently released ‘Call of the Beastmen’, one of our best-selling Total War DLCs to date, the New Content Team are just now launching ‘The Grim & The Grave’ today (likely to hit after 4pm BST).

It’s still a very busy time in the team, as they pull out all the stops to fulfil our vision of lots of free-LC and DLC content to support the huge trilogy of WARHAMMER titles we have planned. In fact, across the various members of the team, three different DLC and Free-LC releases are at different stages of development with design work underway, concept art being created or animations being put together.

And that’s not to mention the very early planning and conversations we are having around an early adopter bonus and the DLC and free content plans for the second WARHAMMER game.

quote:

Warhammer Team –Total War: WARHAMMER trilogy
Work on the sequel itself has now been well underway for a while, with the majority of staff working on the massive amount of content being prepared for the second part of the trilogy. Design around the new races has been building on the feedback seen from the first game, working to further emphasise the gameplay differences between them and the unique features each will have.

As always, our social media channels have all the latest Total War news and visuals when the time is right.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Playing a VH Dwarf campaign and just LOL at Dwarf cities with garrison upgrades. If it wasn't for Sigvald's bullshit armor on the walls* I could probably beat the End of Times by disbanding all my armies and letting them break against my provinces.

*It was just a tier 3 settlement without upgrades and there were only 22 survivors from his Doomstack

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Have they said whether they're going to amend skills like Honest Steel to benefit the new units?

Can confirm from previews that Honest Steel does not apply to the new units. However Pistol Korps might apply to FM assuming they fall under the missile infantry banner, and there are new skills to buff flaggelants.

Empire Factions seem to love building Free Militia, as a side note but I guess better that then mass pistoliers or unshielded spearmen.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 1, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, but they have actual backstory and pathos and poo poo. Them being condemned to being souls trapped in their armor is treated tragically and it works. The Sigmarines are all super buff dudes in golden armor regardless of their origin that respawn when they die and are looked at as heroes and the best dudes ever that can beat up anything. They're really loving dumb.

Yeah, the point I was making was more that they'd done it successfully before and still screwed it up.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

madmac posted:

let us reach train sim levels of dlc :allears:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I would pay for DLC consisting of nothing but exotic hats and exquisite mustaches :allears:

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The worst part is... i'm likely to buy all of it anyway... :cry:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

ZearothK posted:

Playing a VH Dwarf campaign and just LOL at Dwarf cities with garrison upgrades. If it wasn't for Sigvald's bullshit armor on the walls* I could probably beat the End of Times by disbanding all my armies and letting them break against my provinces.

*It was just a tier 3 settlement without upgrades and there were only 22 survivors from his Doomstack

That's exactly how Chaos died during my Dwarf campaign. Archaeon, Sigvald, and Kholek threw themselves at the walls of Zhufbar one after the other and went down in a hail of bullets :magical:. Kholek didn't even make it to the gate.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Patch & DLC out, 2 GBs.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
It is now gone 4Pm BST and my Total War: Warhammer in Steam says "update queued". Time to see how long this takes I suppose....

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Stephen9001 posted:

It is now gone 4Pm BST and my Total War: Warhammer in Steam says "update queued". Time to see how long this takes I suppose....

You have to hit a button, resume or start or something or else it isn't going to start for hours probably.

V And to skip preallocating, hit pause and resume and the download should start, worked for me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Angry Lobster posted:

Patch & DLC out, 2 GBs.

Oh good, and my net is throttled so it's... currently pre-allocating still. Nice. Good thing I'm too busy to play anyway! God I need my fix

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Welp, now it just seems to be stuck at 70%. I'll let you guys know if I fix it somehow, or if it somehow fixes itself.

EDIT: Well, it's fixed itself now, and at about 3mb/s should be done soon. Yay.

My condolences to those having any issues of their own.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 1, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dang, it's going super slow, I want my battlepope :(

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Were regular Empire knights always anti-infantry? I don't remember. Actually it seems like they don't really have the bonus.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

quote:

And that’s not to mention the very early planning and conversations we are having around an early adopter bonus and the DLC and free content plans for the second WARHAMMER game.

If CA has to pull the same stunt as the Chaos Warriors where a partially finished army is turned into a preorder bonus, I'd be the most comfortable with the Dogs Of War being pulled out for that role. Still, :homebrew:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If Dogs of War were an actual, honest-to-Sigmar faction where you play as a horde, hiring yourself out to factions for cash, it may beat Empire for my favorite faction.

Victory conditions are quite simply getting all that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrdKtPJxI0.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

GW completely missed the central drama of WHFB being about mostly regular humans trying to protect their empire from all sorts of bullshit monsters and evil gods and replaced it with invincible armour men with big shoulder pads.

They're doing a fair bit to ruin that image for 40K's Imperial Guard as well. While the Guard before have always had the same fascist catholic vibe as the rest of the Imperium, the Tempestus Scions army list (previously just stormtroopers, but name wasn't gothic enough) is literally just a Waffen SS training manual. The dog loyalty test is replaced with another human, though.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chaos aren't partially finished. They're fully modeled and built.

It's just that their mechanics are awful. But fully made, complete awful :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do Boar Boy Big'Uns and Boar Chariots benefit from the Betta Stickaz upgrade?

There needs to be some more settlements in the central badlands. I get all the stuff hugging the mountains, but that expanse in the middle is just so drat boring. There's a gigantic piss stain swamp with huge attrition penalties attached to it, but you will never need to cross it because there is nothing there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Chaos just looks incomplete compared to Beastmen, but then again most factions do.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
My game fucks up every time I alt tab, anyone else getting that? The screen freezes but the game continues.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If a unit has the anti large trait, does that mean that they do better against large targets than they do against infantry, or is it a bonus on top of their stats? Like big'uns have a slight anti large and I've had better success using them against trolls than I have dwarfen warriors

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

If a unit has the anti large trait, does that mean that they do better against large targets than they do against infantry, or is it a bonus on top of their stats? Like big'uns have a slight anti large and I've had better success using them against trolls than I have dwarfen warriors

Hover over their weapon damage. It tells you the way the damage is spread. The anti-large part of it is only in effect when they're attacking large targets, the normal weapon damage is their baseline.

The dwarf warriors thing is probably because dwarf warriors have high armor, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It means they have a discrete weapon damage bonus against large (all mounted units and big monsters). You can hover over the weapon damage to see the exact size of the bonus. Note that the bonus is subject to armor and other mitigation.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The trait bullet points are not real things, they are more just some advice on how to use the unit. Anti large usually corresponds to a bonus to damage that is applied when attacking large enemies. Try hovering your mouse over the weapon damage listing.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The flc portion so far has been great, I think it's closer to a civ 5 then trains so far. All races being free as opponents is so great. I don't really care about beastmen, but it's fun to kill them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Oh my loving god, Vlad.

I just

I don't even know how to portray how incredibly broken and overpowered he is.

Just --- Oh my loving god, VLAD.

Edit: To clarify a bit further for those who haven't tried it yet, remember how insane Mannfred is? Vlad makes him look like a goddamn pussy, as he well and truly is.

Mannfred is a great melee fighter, but guess what? Vlad has a trait that makes him a melee expert in combat. He also gets abilities that destroy the stats of an army. As in for 36 seconds he can reduce any unit's melee attack short of heroes, lords, and really late game units to effectively zero. He can do this every ninety seconds.

But perhaps you're still a weirdo and a fan of Mannfred. But wait, you say! Mannfred has a host of spells that invalidate necromancers into anything but healbot and casting bot support roles! Well...gently caress you, because so does Vlad.

Vlad can also deploy his units in vanguard status. Can Mannfred do that? Can any Legendary Lord do that? And I don't mean a few units. I mean all of them. Anyone familiar with enveloping tactics knows that this is a complete game breaker for anyone that gets that smashing one army into another is stupid. It also makes the Beastmen look tame by comparison seeing as how you can effectively turn every fight into some master tier strategic and tactical ambush.

But wait, you say! Vlad doesn't have a Varghulf! Varghulf's are loving ridiculous, after all. You're right of course. He doesn't need them. He starts out not only with a unit of Vargheists but also freaking Blood Knights. The premier cavalry unit of the campaign. Couple that with judicious spells and Vlad's ability to knock 46 (Forty loving six! That's enough to reduce many early and mid game's units to zero melee attack!) melee attack off of any enemy on the field and you have a bunch of murder machines. Especially with the Vargheists, seeing as how they can crumble easily. You can just plow them into something isolated and have them butcher something wholesale since they can't fight back.

And you know what the best part is? They totally sold how loving awesome he is even without his stats. You know how Mannfred likes to talk like some sort of renaissance era Vampire the Masquerade LARPer with a smattering of old timey speech mixed in with modern? Vlad doesn't do that poo poo. Just by existing he shows up Mannfred as being a whiny nerd by talking like a normal person with an accent.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 1, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
After a few quick matches against dwarves their cost reductions and buffs might just make them no longer the worst mp faction. Maybe it's just that grave guards with great weapons got a slight nerf to fighting infantry but both battles I fought against the dwarves just now have been really close when usually it would be a massacre since dwarves are so predictable and easily countered.

For some reason the ghoul king on the terrorgheist gets heavily staggered by quarreler fire so probably best to only bring him when you're not expecting missiles. At the end of the fight, he was barely clinging to life and quarellers staggered him in front of 3x gold chevron cannons. RIP.

Also noticed that if you bring a necromancer on the top tier corpse cart you don't get to bring the corpse cart aura regen. It'll show up if you hover over the last corpse cart but it doesn't add the ability and you can't buy it like you usually can with mount abilities. Just a regular corpse cart might've made the winning difference in my battle. My ghoul king on the terrorgheist was low, crumbling, unable to invocate himself since he was crumbling so I brought him over to the corpse cart and the regen from it was enough to stop the crumbling so I could heal and keep casting abilities.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hope Vlad is around as an AI opponent to fight. Sounds like he would be rather interesting.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

I hope Vlad is around as an AI opponent to fight. Sounds like he would be rather interesting.

I don't think the AI abides by legendary lord unlock rules so he'll probably show up, yeah. But also the AI doesn't make use of Vanguard Deployment, really, so that's going to be one less vagary to take into account when fighting him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Chaos are definitely the worst faction now. Heck, even trollhammer torpedoes are sort of useful against factions you expect to bring lots of monsters. They absolutely slaughter crypt horrors, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Volkmar sounds too posh imo.

• Locked thread