Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It admittedly can be a real weakness, but at the same time the thinner armor also makes shells more likely to overpen if they don't happen to hit the citadel, and if you're careful about what's around you it is possible a decent amount of the time to mostly only make wide turns when you're either at a significant distance and thus less likely to be hit, or when behind something. Putting quotes around it was underselling the weakness a bit, but overall I'd say it's decently less of a weakness than the IJN with their slow reloads and generally larger citadels, US with their horrid shell arcs, and Germany with their terrible HE.

As for the AP for the 152s? Yeah, it's situational, but they're perfectly fine using HE against basically everything anyways, and their reload speed is fast enough that in those circumstances where AP actually is going to be quite lethal it's rather quick to switch to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey as someone who gets their jollies from big, slow ships with big rear end guns can someone who is really good at cruisers give me a cliffnotes version of how to be a good cruiser player? I know there's gently caress tons of videos out there but lots of them are also old. If someone has some good replays of how to cruiser that'd be helpful too.

Seriously I'm so used to lumbering around that when I get in these faster ships it's like I'm on the moon.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lord Koth posted:

Their higher tier cruisers also gain access to the RADAR consumable - because the USSR sure was known for their proficiency in that field

Probably for the same reason as the Germans get the best sonar, and their battleships have good armor and good AA guns, and the Japanese battleships are more accurate than the US ones.
The Russian cruisers being the third new ship line is silly but it's not because they have radar.
(and the Soviet Union circa 1955 definitely had better radar than any of the other ships in the game)

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Ice Fist posted:

Hey as someone who gets their jollies from big, slow ships with big rear end guns can someone who is really good at cruisers give me a cliffnotes version of how to be a good cruiser player? I know there's gently caress tons of videos out there but lots of them are also old. If someone has some good replays of how to cruiser that'd be helpful too.

Seriously I'm so used to lumbering around that when I get in these faster ships it's like I'm on the moon.

The only rule you need is "DO NOT BE FIRST". This applies to everything. If you are first you will die in a rain of BB shells.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

DurosKlav posted:

Oh boy, they finally added a new battleship line. Now to relearn aiming.

The Nassau makes me sad.

Hey, nice to see you again. Unfortunately I'm out for a week due to conventions :(

German battleships are fun and good. Too bad you missed the Scharnhorst.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Burt posted:

The only rule you need is "DO NOT BE FIRST". This applies to everything. If you are first you will die in a rain of BB shells.

Yes, I'm aware of this if for no other reason than I am that BB killing cruisers who show themselves too early. So a very good tip

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ice Fist posted:

Yes, I'm aware of this if for no other reason than I am that BB killing cruisers who show themselves too early. So a very good tip

Use your speed and agility to both dictate range, and dodge battleship shells in flight. Also get used to only using half your guns, as you need to resist the urge to give full broadsides, as that exposes the sign on your cruiser that says "free citadels here". Forward guns are for shooting at targets you're going towards, rear guns at ships you're running away from. If you need to do a death turn, time it so that you can start and finish between battleship salvos.

You also need to be screening your good battleships against destroyers, as every time a battleship is forced to turn and fire a salvo at a destroyer instead is a salvo wasted. Even being nearby can force destroyers away, or to fire longer range, and less useful torp spreads.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
According to next months event preview, I guess the Arpeggio of Blue Steel ships are going to be back out again. No info on the forum about what ones, or if its just the 3 kongos and myoko up for grabs again.

If you haven't seen it, its an alright anime. I like the looks of the kongo ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTbmksOq7lY

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This is almost certainly just the 3rd wave of ARP ships, that already hit SEA(and possibly Euro) servers a while ago. Which means the ships available are going to be the fourth and final Kongo-class Hiei, and the second Myoko-class Haguro.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Probably for the same reason as the Germans get the best sonar, and their battleships have good armor and good AA guns, and the Japanese battleships are more accurate than the US ones.
The Russian cruisers being the third new ship line is silly but it's not because they have radar.
(and the Soviet Union circa 1955 definitely had better radar than any of the other ships in the game)

I could've sworn reading about poor Japanese accuracy once fire control radar became a thing. One of the more famous instances has to be the Battle off Samar. I could be wrong though and I'd be glad to read more.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I must be doing something wrong. I'm playing a Nassau and having fun. of course, reading the thread and going straight in to brawl probably helped me get a 3.3 K/D ratio.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

I wouldn't say I'm proficient (only in a Cleveland) but I never show broadsides if possible and support the main battleship line - HE spam for BB's, AP spam for cruisers, and picking off DD's if they get within 10km

:negative:

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
In the Nassau never not be pointed at someone and it's fun. The Kaiser I didn't like. Mainly because in the 14 games I played in it I averaged 70000 damage with only 35% win rate. Small sample and the ship itself isn't terrible, but the teams were garbage and soured me on the ship.

I have 2600 games and the Tashkent and Kaiser have dropped me from 65.5% to 65.1% alone this last week. Also I accidentally had SE on the Tash instead of AFT which was a problem.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Victor Surge posted:

I have 2600 games and the Tashkent and Kaiser have dropped me from 65.5% to 65.1% alone this last week. Also I accidentally had SE on the Tash instead of AFT which was a problem.

Yeah you only want to pick that up on the Tashkent if you already have AFT and DE.

Speaking of SE, I saw an Iowa recently that had it. 3.6k health on a ship that has around 79k, what a truly massive difference. He was using the Gamescon premium camo too, in order to get the most out of his poo poo score.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

El Disco posted:

Speaking of SE, I saw an Iowa recently that had it. 3.6k health on a ship that has around 79k, what a truly massive difference. He was using the Gamescon premium camo too, in order to get the most out of his poo poo score.

I suppose if you don't care about making your AA better with AFT or manual AA...guess you would normally still go with Demolition Expert though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Jesus christ my New Orleans is cursed. I'm admittedly not doing very well in it but even the games where I do pretty decently my entire team just collapses and I'm just over here going :reject:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goddamn I am now a convert to the church of AP on the Saint Louis. I blatted a Tenryu from half health to nothing in one salvo by getting a triple citadel with a broadside. He'd come in around 4km to launch torpedoes, but kept broadside even after he'd launched. Then he died and I turned to avoid the torpedoes.

Obviously I still shoot HE at BBs and other St. Louis, but I'm doing a surprising amount of damage with AP when I used to do next to nothing. I guess I'm just getting better. Maybe someday soon my WR will have a 5 at the front.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yeah, definitely use AP at close range, HE for long range. Except against DD's I think due to their generally thin armour, although if one is coming literally straight at you, the AP rounds have a chance to go right from bow to stern for a lot of damage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Has anyone more mathematically inclined than myself worked out which of the three Dunkerque packages is the best value for money, or are they all identical?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Excuse me the Nassau owns dude. Nut up and drive into a bunch of cruisers/dds and loving wreck them. You have insanely thick armor for a T3 and can play with T4 BBs just fine.

Brawling with German BBs and then going back to other BBs has made me realise just how bad the secondaries on Japanese and American BBs are. I got into a brawl in my New York and got 1 secondary hit. 1! Meanwhile using the Nassau I'd been routinely racking up 30+ secondary hits, and getting close to 100 when things got really busy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tier 6 and 7 matchmaking is 80% composed of battleships what the hell.

the majority of my high tier matches are 10 BBs on each side with me and some other dude being the only DD, it's crazy.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's why I'm grinding Russian DDs. And probably US after that. Since they get decent guns and torps at those tiers

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Don't know what stupid thought got in my head but bought the USN CV and said how bad can this be? Played it in training room, could only hit something if it was still. Couldn't figure out why people like it. Sold it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Mans posted:

the majority of my high tier matches are 10 BBs on each side with me and some other dude being the only DD, it's crazy.

The German BB wave is moving upward.
I don't know why they didn't release another ship line at the same time to balance things.
It was a given that the werhaboo would rush the German battleships, the fact that they are very good made things even worse.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Mans posted:

New animeboat event started, so people need to inflate their damage numbers!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Given the large influx of wehraboos and wallet warriors, I now regularly get 100k+ DD games.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'd be really happy if they removed Standard Battle from the game.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I'd be really happy if they removed Standard Battle from the game.

They tried to do just that for tiers 7-10, but the pubbies raged out, so they backed down. It was supposed to be something like a 10% chance for a standard battle otherwise, domination. Instead, it is more an even split chance or something now.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Two games in a row now I've had people on both teams cheering about my DD sinking the gently caress out of carriers. I don't even remember this much visceral carrier hate back at release when the things were legit OP.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Warbadger posted:

Two games in a row now I've had people on both teams cheering about my DD sinking the gently caress out of carriers. I don't even remember this much visceral carrier hate back at release when the things were legit OP.

Carriers are the World of Warships equivalent of snipers, able to reach out and kill you without any recourse until you finally hunt down and kill the poo poo-eating panty-sniffing bed-wetting whoremongers. And snipers always cause maximum rage no matter what. Not for me though, I always try to remain objective :tinfoil:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

Carriers are the World of Warships equivalent of snipers, able to reach out and kill you without any recourse until you finally hunt down and kill the poo poo-eating panty-sniffing bed-wetting whoremongers. And snipers always cause maximum rage no matter what. Not for me though, I always try to remain objective :tinfoil:

Carriers are like artillery. Except not because you can shoot down the deliverers instead of just randomly exploding. However, pubbies can't fathom sticking together to form a wall of aa steel, so they just get mad because they got singled out.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Epicenter mode is really cool, but they should take it all the way and make a Battle Royale (novel/movie) mode where you have to get into the circles or explode.

Must include Beat Takeshi voice overs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Carriers are like artillery. Except not because you can shoot down the deliverers instead of just randomly exploding. However, pubbies can't fathom sticking together to form a wall of aa steel, so they just get mad because they got singled out.

Also they can spot for themselves and their"shotgunning" is a lot more accurate.

At what point can the Soviet DDs invisible snipe? I don't see a number for their spotted while firing distance.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also they can spot for themselves and their"shotgunning" is a lot more accurate.

At what point can the Soviet DDs invisible snipe? I don't see a number for their spotted while firing distance.

Though that is without Concealment Expert, the concealment upgrade and camo, so it's not that useful to actually see the end result.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Carriers aren't even close to the level of bullshit that is artillery in World of Tanks.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

I could've sworn reading about poor Japanese accuracy once fire control radar became a thing. One of the more famous instances has to be the Battle off Samar. I could be wrong though and I'd be glad to read more.

It wasn't so much that the IJN had bad accuracy, it's just that once the USN figured out how to pull their heads out of their asses post-1942, we got real good at using radar.

Additionally: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-086.htm
TL;DR is that the Japanese FCS required more people, and had a lot more points of failure built into it. So once a crew started getting tired, errors started to creep in.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Minenfeld! posted:

Try the battle of Surigao Strait. Radar-guided FCS allowed West Virginia to land first-salvo hits on Yamashiro at ranges of 20,000m in pitch darkness, a feat that would be almost completely impossible with pre-radar FCS methods. The Japanese were widely regarded as masters of night fighting (as they had already demonstrated off Savo Island in 1942) but even the most skilled Japanese gunnery teams couldn't compete with that.

Obviously the hit rate increases substantially as the range closes but when you're talking about battleships taking shots at each other at ranges of 15-25,000 meters, hit rates would be in the low single digits.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 1, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vatek posted:

Carriers aren't even close to the level of bullshit that is artillery in World of Tanks.

They aren't, but at the same time, the player base views them as the same. Complete with calling them sky cancer.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Vatek posted:

Try the battle of Surigao Strait. Radar-guided FCS allowed West Virginia to land first-salvo hits on Yamashiro at ranges of 20,000m in pitch darkness, a feat that would be almost completely impossible with pre-radar FCS methods. The Japanese were widely regarded as masters of night fighting (as they had already demonstrated off Savo Island in 1942) but even the most skilled Japanese gunnery teams couldn't compete with that.

Obviously the hit rate increases substantially as the range closes but when you're talking about battleships taking shots at each other at ranges of 15-25,000 meters, hit rates would be in the low single digits.

This is what I want.. laser accuracy from across the map with my battleship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Any good guides for playing dd? Im having fun rolling around at 30+ knots scaring people but not having huge amount of luck actually doing significant damage.