Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope that the "you made the cut" letters are going out in gaudy golden envelopes sealed with wax, impressed with the official Big 12 signet ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/771171831180996608

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I really want Colorado State as one. I'm leaning towards 14 teams now. CSU/Cinci/Houston/??? would be pretty cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The list is apparently at 12 teams currently.
https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/771179966100680704

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would be okay with Tulane, Colorado State, and Cincinnati. If CSU is one of them, then Air Force is... okay, I guess.

I miss sensical geographic footprints. :smith:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You can't tell me a cat emoji doesn't exist to put next to the bear for Cinci.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

You can't tell me a cat emoji doesn't exist to put next to the bear for Cinci.

🐱🐈🦁🐯 take your pick of cat

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am furious

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I like to think that they sent out one 'thanks but no thanks' letter to ECU and everyone else is still in the running.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why even bother having cuts if schools that add nothing like Rice and SMU are going to make it past the first round? I predict that someone was pulling ESPN's leg.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If Rice gets into the Big 12 over Houston I might have to set something on fire

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Cliff Racer posted:

Why even bother having cuts if schools that add nothing like Rice and SMU are going to make it past the first round? I predict that someone was pulling ESPN's leg.

#texaspolitics

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You can tell that the Big 12 is a garbage conference because they're treating this like the Bachelor instead of being sane like all the other conferences.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Intruder posted:

If Rice gets into the Big 12 over Houston I might have to set something on fire
I have to imagine that Rice is there just in case UH drives too hard of a bargain but they really, really want a reason to play conference games in Houston. It's certainly not the Rice fanbase, since Rice is probably about the 12th most popular football team in the city.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I hope that the "you made the cut" letters are going out in gaudy golden envelopes sealed with wax, impressed with the official Big 12 signet ring.

Rose ceremony is traditional.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sash! posted:

You can tell that the Big 12 is a garbage conference because they're treating this like the Bachelor instead of being sane like all the other conferences.

Were a garbage conference only because we didn't make this a reality tv extravaganza where Bowlsby literally hands out roses.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Were a garbage conference only because we didn't make this a reality tv extravaganza where Bowlsby literally hands out roses.

Should use the Dancing with the Stars model so you can have more than one show a week.

Also immunity challenges. Everyone likes immunity challenges.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

#blessed

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 1, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Spacebump posted:

Apparently, UConn is on here mainly because it would be okay with being a football-only member, which is about the craziest loving reason to invite UConn.

The success rate for schools that make the leap without being near the conference is also pretty dismal (Maryland/Rutgers, Colorado). If UConn wants to sacrifice its football program at the Big 12 pyre for basketball's sake, that's fine, but I have no illusions about what would really be going on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's also West Virginia as a very prominent example.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Rumors from a guy on a Tulane board with a friend that does work for Cincy. Cincy's athletic department is operating on the idea that they are in and either BYU or Houston will be added as well. This round of interviews is to keep schools close for a future round of expansion. No reason to believe this one way or the other but the Tulane board is small enough that it'd be weird if he made it up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sash! posted:

In a Real Conference a group of gentlemen discuss things behind closed doors, come out, and improve their conference by inviting Rutgers and Maryland.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Please not BYU. Also, Big 12 really needs to add Memphis because they're a perfect replacement for Mizzou, an M school called the Tigers.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It was asked earlier but Memphis is 600-something miles from Knoxville, we sometimes get recruits from that area but the Mississippi schools and other SEC west schools have greater visibility there than Tennessee. It was a huge deal when we pulled Drew Richmond away from Ole Miss last year. The UT staff seems to be focusing a lot more on the Nashville area.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
344 miles.

But 600-something sure sounds bigger!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

In a Real Conference a group of gentlemen discuss things behind closed doors, come out, and improve their conference by inviting Rutgers and Maryland.

At least those were major conference teams instead of the leftovers from some mid majors.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Sash! posted:

At least those were major conference teams instead of the leftovers from some mid majors.

All of those schools are better than Rutgers.

All of them.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Strobe posted:

344 miles.

But 600-something sure sounds bigger!

drat, my brain doesn't work. I was thinking of the return trip as well.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Maryland and the ACC I can buy for the purposes of this argument, the Big East doesn't seem to really count as a major conference at the end of their (football) run. Not that it was full of bad sports schools, WVU and Louisville seem like solid gets for an athletic conference, Rutgers....not so much.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

Maryland and the ACC I can buy for the purposes of this argument, the Big East doesn't seem to really count as a major conference at the end of their (football) run. Not that it was full of bad sports schools, WVU and Louisville seem like solid gets for an athletic conference, Rutgers....not so much.

The Rutgers Fightin' New York TV Market.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Cincinnati>Rutgers

Both then and now

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

All of those schools are better than Rutgers.

All of them.

Excuse me https://twitter.com/RutgersMBB/status/770794324279767040?s=09

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

:laffo: Look at all those guys who played for UConn

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

Debatable

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Rutgers is a better football program than Maryland, why do people not give MD credit for the absolute dumpster fire it is.

Thoguh posted:

The Rutgers Fightin' New York TV Market.

It's something as opposed to the Iowa State Fightin' Nothings.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Cincinnati>Rutgers

Both then and now

They have no fan support. Kelly owned the poo poo out of us, but he's long gone.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers is a better football program than Maryland, why do people not give MD credit for the absolute dumpster fire it is.

Oh they're terrible too, I was responding specifically to the "Big 10 went after major conference teams" part of things with that. The Big East was a joke looked at as a whole at the end.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Yay at making the cut, lol at UConn's emoji being a basketball and not a dog.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol at UConn being a basketball even though they'd only be in the Big 12 with their football team?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Adding Uconn as a football only member would be about the dumbest possible move, so it will probably happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/771798056677310464

Kinda weird to dump Memphis so early but it was probably near the bottom of the list in terms of academics, so maybe that makes them a non-starter.

Also that makes that picture of the votes tweet a few pages back seem like bullshit

• Locked thread