Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean who's gonna invest in a country using the "lovely" euro?

Its a transitional currency before full Euro access. This is why I also asked about Universal Income, Higher currency countries are taxed High Currency, which in turn is made into Low Currency and distributed to the populace of low countries, which is then used to buy things and stimulate growth and upward movement. Instead of a country like Greece threatening the entire EU project one risky investment at a time, Big countries can still keep moving forward even if a small country or two is in the dumps.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Randler posted:

The company isn't getting fined. Ireland is required to take back the state aid it gives and thereby remove the market alteration they have committed. Apple is not getting punished, they're merely put in the situation they'd be in if Ireland had applied the law correctly. If Apple were to get punished, they'd have to pay those 13 B€ backtaxes (incl. interest) and then something extra.

Still, as long as the country that enables or provides state aid isn't penalised, there's no disincentive to prevent it in the future.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A two or three track Euro would have been a good idea to implement 20 years ago but at this point the EU's economy is in freefall and the horse has sort of bolted

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Freefall? EU GDP growth was 1.8% last quarter.

USA was 2.2%

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Riso posted:

My mother lives near a refugee camp in Vienna. There is hardly a time the police isn't going there full speed.

How do you keep getting bail?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Freefall? EU GDP growth was 1.8% last quarter.

USA was 2.2%

Well, Southern Europe at least

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Riso posted:

My mother lives near a refugee camp in Vienna. There is hardly a time the police isn't going there full speed.

Eh? I thought most of them are shut down. They still have the big white tent things in Vienna?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

Italy, Spain, Portugal have been growing in terms of constant prices GDP since at least 2015. Unemployment and deficits have also been dropping, or, in the case of Italy, have been stabilized. The situation isn't rosy by any stretch of the imagination, but "freefall" is not what's happening anymore.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Shazback posted:

Still, as long as the country that enables or provides state aid isn't penalised, there's no disincentive to prevent it in the future.

The disincentive doesn't have to be on the country. Companies knowing they might have to pay 13 billion in back taxes are disincentivized from accepting tax dodging deals like Apple had with Ireland.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
The jungle in Calais has reformed, T-1000 style. But most new migrants want to ask for asylum in France now, I read in Le Monde. So I guess Brexit is a working somewhere somehow...

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

doverhog posted:

The disincentive doesn't have to be on the country. Companies knowing they might have to pay 13 billion in back taxes are disincentivized from accepting tax dodging deals like Apple had with Ireland.

Apple asked Ireland to clarify their tax rules, and then followed the rules as laid out by the Irish tax authorities...

I find it difficult to say that Apple was looking for a 'tax dodge'. Contrast it with the Fiat Finance case where Luxembourg accepted that Fiat pay tax on a X M€ profit basis, regardless of the company's actual benefits (which ended up being a lot, lot higher) - this is clearly a ruling that was not available to other companies.

In both cases, if two actors collude to produce a negative effect, it's strange that only one be penalised. For instance, if a company employs people off the books, it wouldn't make sense for the prosecutor to only go after the employees for due taxes and fees, whilst giving the company a free pass.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

All of that might be true, but it's still gonna make any company that get's offered a 0.005% tax rate think twice about accepting it.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

doverhog posted:

All of that might be true, but it's still gonna make any company that get's offered a 0.005% tax rate think twice about accepting it.

Because in the best case they don't get caught and pay almost nothing, and in the worst case they have to pay the normal rate?

Man, that really does sound like a deal no company would take.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

doverhog posted:

Unless you specifically want to be the Cayman Islands 2.0: European Boogaloo and therefore poach tax evading rich individuals from all over the world rather than attract corporate investment, what are those companies going to do?

They might grumble for a quarter or maybe even a year, but is Apple seriously going to stop selling ipones in Europe instead of making slightly less profit per ipone? At most they'll start throwing bigger bribes at politicians, but unless they manage to bribe enough politicians all over the EU and not just in Ireland it's not going to do much, and they'll privately grumble a bit louder over how it's too much effort to bribe so many politicians in multiple places at once (like Murdoch, which is why he supported Brexit).

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 31, 2016

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

tsa posted:

The EU doesn't have it because it doesn't have the political integration required and that doesn't exist because voters have consistently voted against it by huge margins and trying to force the issue has led to a massive increase in the popularity of euro sceptic parties.

So it's far more complicated than 'people dumb lol'. The fact of the matter is that the fundamental structure of the EU is flawed and is finally collapsing. Why? The idea was that a currency union would lead to a political union but that idea is obviously wrong, in fact the exact opposite has occurred. Without that political union the single currency is doomed.

A lot of people seem to think the EU is like the US. It is, the problem is it's like pre civil war US but even then there was a lot more unifying features than the current EU has.

I agree, but would like to clarify.

"People dumb lol" is not what I meant, but I obviously explained poorly. The idiots I was referring to where the EC "experts" who thought they would get away with scrapping very important elements of a currency. I agree and I am happy everytime the loving EU loses a referendum, though I know the results will be reversed, engineered etc.

P Grey
Aug 16, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Slightly makes up for their recent Burka bullshit.

the ban on burkini on French beaches was outrageous... it was overturned by courts now anyways but to think you can prevent people from covering up on the beach is crazy, no difference if they were wearing a full wetsuit...

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Well, yeah. The countries that never should have become part of the monetary union. But look at what happened when the EU tried to shift agency from the failed state Greece to more competent institutions: There was a nationalist backlash.. Syriza as well as ANEL are both primitive, nationalist and collectivist populist parties who could only rise to power because the narrative "the capitalist furriners are to blame" is easy to spin.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

steinrokkan posted:

Italy, Spain, Portugal have been growing in terms of constant prices GDP since at least 2015. Unemployment and deficits have also been dropping, or, in the case of Italy, have been stabilized. The situation isn't rosy by any stretch of the imagination, but "freefall" is not what's happening anymore.

It's all hanging by threads tbh, public debt is still high af and banking system is extremely vunerable ( a bit less in Spain ). It is structurally untenable, not total obvious caos like Greece, but the fundamental flaws that led to debt crisis and bailouts are definitely still there.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Einbauschrank posted:

Well, yeah. The countries that never should have become part of the monetary union. But look at what happened when the EU tried to shift agency from the failed state Greece to more competent institutions: There was a nationalist backlash.. Syriza as well as ANEL are both primitive, nationalist and collectivist populist parties who could only rise to power because the narrative "the capitalist furriners are to blame" is easy to spin.

They are lazy unruly countries that we superior enlightened nordic descended cultures shoud've never associated so tightly with, as to avoid this heavy burden of their constant peddling of our hard earned richness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shazback posted:

Apple asked Ireland to clarify their tax rules, and then followed the rules as laid out by the Irish tax authorities...

I find it difficult to say that Apple was looking for a 'tax dodge'. Contrast it with the Fiat Finance case where Luxembourg accepted that Fiat pay tax on a X M€ profit basis, regardless of the company's actual benefits (which ended up being a lot, lot higher) - this is clearly a ruling that was not available to other companies.

In both cases, if two actors collude to produce a negative effect, it's strange that only one be penalised. For instance, if a company employs people off the books, it wouldn't make sense for the prosecutor to only go after the employees for due taxes and fees, whilst giving the company a free pass.

Yeah it's really strange and I'm very surprised that Jean-Fraude Juncker isn't pushing for having the EU punish Luxembourg for its tax avoidance schemes I really wonder what's up with that

P Grey posted:

the ban on burkini on French beaches was outrageous... it was overturned by courts now anyways but to think you can prevent people from covering up on the beach is crazy, no difference if they were wearing a full wetsuit...

Which makes me wonder why they don't just wear wetsuits in the first place.

Anyway people were making mountains out of a molehill, it was one mayor out of 36000 that took a decision that had no chance of surviving the administrative court (and it didn't) but for some reason it had to become some sort of gigantic deal all over the world. It allowed to avoid talking about something else, such as for example the brewing issue of Dépakine (valproate) prescribed to pregnant women, which could be a new Thalidomide scandal.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wetsuits are more form fitting, which I guess would go against the whole "modesty" thing.

think of stupid sexy flanders

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Wetsuits are more form fitting, which I guess would go against the whole "modesty" thing.

think of stupid sexy flanders

That whole covering up thing is completely nonsensical anyway. Most woman wearing those things also apply a fuckton of makeup and spend hundreds of dollars on shoes and designer headscarfs/burkas. That's the absolute opposite of modesty. Just because you slap a headscarf on doesn't make all the vanity go away. It's probably better to just look at it as a cultural clothing style, like suits and ties for western men.

And God doesn't give a poo poo anyway. The whole idea that the creator of billions of galaxies gets all salty every time your arse shows through you cloths, is completely preposterous. There are no word to describe how ridiculous that thought even is.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah it's really strange and I'm very surprised that Jean-Fraude Juncker isn't pushing for having the EU punish Luxembourg for its tax avoidance schemes I really wonder what's up with that

In case you're actually interested in what's up with that, Juncker isn't actually responsible for investigating and making a decision on whether state aid was unlawfully given. That would instead be Margrethe Vestager is since she's currently the Commissioner for competition. Additionally, the state aid procedure does not actually allow for the possibility of the member state being punished - member states are required to recover any illegal state aid from the beneficiary and the Commission may refer them to the ECJ if they drag their feet in doing so. Finally, Luxembourg being investigated in the first place and ending up obliged to recover state aid illegaly given to Fiat Finance, should clue you in to the fact that Jean-Fraude Juncker's nefarious influence is not as far-reaching as you think.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

waitwhatno posted:

And God doesn't give a poo poo anyway. The whole idea that the creator of billions of galaxies gets all salty every time your arse shows through you cloths, is completely preposterous. There are no word to describe how ridiculous that thought even is.

Yeah, it's ridiculous these people are asking us to let their moon god interfere in rational society.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Anyway people were making mountains out of a molehill, it was one mayor out of 36000 that took a decision that had no chance of surviving the administrative court (and it didn't) but for some reason it had to become some sort of gigantic deal all over the world. It allowed to avoid talking about something else, such as for example the brewing issue of Dépakine (valproate) prescribed to pregnant women, which could be a new Thalidomide scandal.

Or the fact that asians people in France are disproportionately targeted by violence and have been for quite some time. Following the death of an asian man in Aubervilliers (http://en.rfi.fr/france/20160815-french-chinese-community-death-mugging-victim-racist-attacks) they organized a march to protest against the murder and violences against them in general. The media did mention the death and the march but didn't look into it deeper, and they quickly stopped talking about it because burkinis are more important. Even the anti-racists associations did the minimum, while being on top of the latest muslim beachwear fashion.

It doesn't only affect the french asians, but also the tourists. Those last years it's gotten so bad the police has been deploying extra forces pretty much dedicated to the protection of chinese tourists, on top of having chinese cops coming to Paris to help.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

doverhog posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous these people are asking us to let their moon god interfere in rational society.

I have a constitutionally protected right to make fun of religion. Please, respect ma rights. :colbert:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Nyandaber Z posted:

Or the fact that asians people in France are disproportionately targeted by violence and have been for quite some time. Following the death of an asian man in Aubervilliers (http://en.rfi.fr/france/20160815-french-chinese-community-death-mugging-victim-racist-attacks) they organized a march to protest against the murder and violences against them in general. The media did mention the death and the march but didn't look into it deeper, and they quickly stopped talking about it because burkinis are more important. Even the anti-racists associations did the minimum, while being on top of the latest muslim beachwear fashion.

It doesn't only affect the french asians, but also the tourists. Those last years it's gotten so bad the police has been deploying extra forces pretty much dedicated to the protection of chinese tourists, on top of having chinese cops coming to Paris to help.

There's a reason the "anti-racist associations" are not looking deeper into it. The robbers and in this case manslaughterers are of Arab origin.

It affects Asian tourists for the same reason it affects French of Asian origin: They are supposed to be rich and to carry more money with them. In the case of tourists this is most definitely true, and not racist but simply the logic of criminals. In the case of French people of Asian origin being targetted, it is because they live in mixed quarters and are being mugged by their fellow Frenchmen of Arab descent. This might even be due to racism as they perhaps prefer to victimize non-Arabs, but mainly because the Chinese French spend less time in Marial Arts Studios and more time earning money, therefore being better victims.

The Jewish Community, which suffers from attacks from the same group of racists, has been quite vocal about this.
http://www.lemondejuif.info/2016/08...n-halimi-licra/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
More on the EU Apple Ireland.... thingy:
http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2016/08/31/the-european-commission-have-sparked-a-revolution-against-corporate-tax-avoidance/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
They would have never dared to do this when Jobs was in charge.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They would have never dared to do this when Jobs was in charge.

Only because he could have sold holy water to the devil.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I still get incredibly salty that these structures are referred to as tax loopholes. Loopholes are usually something that is used in an unexpected or ambivalent way. These tax rules, however, were delibarately designed by the law makers in the respective countries in order to look more attractive to multi national corporates.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Is that a common thing? I've mostly seen tax dodging as the term, and that is entirely accurate. Ireland is an accomplice in this tax dodging scheme.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Mini-poll: if it boils down to Le Pen-Sarkozy, what's the best building that provides both cover and a quit exit. To take pictures from. The building. Pictures of the next president. Oh god please don't click submit to lat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Mini-poll: if it boils down to Le Pen-Sarkozy, what's the best building that provides both cover and a quit exit. To take pictures from. The building. Pictures of the next president. Oh god please don't click submit to lat
Are you trying to make Lowtax the record holder for "Highest number of different secret services having visited a single person"?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are you trying to make Lowtax the record holder for "Highest number of different secret services having visited a single person"?

If Lowtax gets a visit from the French Secret Services in the heartland of America paint me purple and call me Nancy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You didn't even say "hi" to Bernard Cazeneuve in that post, how rude of you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

If Lowtax gets a visit from the French Secret Services in the heartland of America paint me purple and call me Nancy.
If not now, he will when Sarkozy becomes president again.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If not now, he will when Sarkozy becomes president again.

Remember when Sarkozy was a guest speaker in Congress and he mentioned he liked Elvis and everyone on the floor chuckled like "who is this guy?".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

don't forget to use silver bullets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
AfD has beaten the CDU into third place in the regional elections for Mecklenburg-Vorpommern: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37271971

Also, French polling with bad translations courtesy of google and schoolboy French: http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/politique/20160904.OBS7410/sondage-primaires-les-duels-se-dessinent-les-seconds-tours-restent-ouverts.html
Apparently Hollande is expected to narrowly win the first round of the left wing presidential primary, with 32% of the total vote against 30% for Montebourg
On the right, Juppé is beating Sarkozy by 37% to 31% in the first round vote, but is very reliant on centrists and the soft right; if turnout is low and dominated by voters affiliated with les Républicains, Sarkozy could well come out on top.
Macron still hasn't officially declared his candidacy but would be in a strong position to challenge Hollande and Montebourg on the left.

I very much want to see a Sarko-Le Pen faceoff in 2017 if only so my country becomes less isolated in terms of making terrible choices for no particularly good reason.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 4, 2016