Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tei posted:

Is this why the reaction I sense from this thread is a bit... flat? like expectations are a bit low at the moment.

We're goons. Everything is garbage and poo poo and we hate it even though we spend 1000 hours playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toilet Rascal
There is no way the death zamboni is the end boss or even the biggest encounter, they never showed anything important from the final stages of the other raids.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Tei posted:

Is this why the reaction I sense from this thread is a bit... flat? like expectations are a bit low at the moment.

Destiny has been out a long time and it's unlikely the formula is gonna change. The new expansion will be cool but largely nothing we haven't seen before. Some of the new stuff is mildly cool or interesting but it ends there really.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

haveblue posted:

There is no way the death zamboni is the end boss or even the biggest encounter, they never showed anything important from the final stages of the other raids.

I think it's going to be the equivalent of the totems in KF: the first "real" encounter that provides you with gear and gets you into the raid proper.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
it's probably just the first stage event kinda like in crota where you just run through the map getting pelted by thralls

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I think I read in one of the developer interviews that the new raid is more about action then choreographed routines like King's Fall was. You can make mistakes and it won't be a wipe.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Casual garbage

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Honestly they need to rethink what "Hard Mode" means. Perma death as a mechanic is really loving stupid.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
sounds like it'll be pretty cool to do for a month or so and then become pointless once you've reached max light and got the lovely weapons it'll have.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You can make mistakes but if you die which will be the outcome of most mistakes it's a wipe

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
yeah hard mode should have more enemies and more randomized enemies so it's not the same wave of 5 thralls + a knight at 25 seconds or whatever.

like it should be like hard mode means instead of the set encounter, there's randomness to it that makes things more difficult because spergs can't refer to their spreadhseets

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Mill Village posted:

I think I read in one of the developer interviews that the new raid is more about action then choreographed routines like King's Fall was. You can make mistakes and it won't be a wipe.

They listened to all the people reducing raid mechanics to "stand here and shoot the boss" and now every encounter will be a giant strike boss

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
like "oh poo poo normally it's 2 servitors, 3 vandals, and a yellow bar captain but this time its 1 yellow bar servitor 5 invisible sword vandals and 3 shotgun captains rushing the poo poo out of you"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't hate the hardmode mechanic. The difficulty has to come from somewhere and having the people that make mistakes watch their teammates play is not the worst way to do it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I miss the days where you could be an absolute shitlord but be highly wanted by everyone because you had a gjallahorn

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

sounds like it'll be pretty cool to do for a month or so and then become pointless once you've reached max light and got the lovely weapons it'll have.

After lots of internal debate on how to improve the cocoon perk, they decided the raid perk this time around will be cuckold.

edit - drat, beaten by filters.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

edit - drat, beaten by filters.

It works for you though

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

like "oh poo poo normally it's 2 servitors, 3 vandals, and a yellow bar captain but this time its 1 yellow bar servitor 5 invisible sword vandals and 3 shotgun captains rushing the poo poo out of you"

The way the strikes switch things up with different enemy types is probably a good model, or something like it. Used to be like "oh I'm doing a Fallen strike, better have an arc shotgun for captains." Now you might end up with void-shielded taken instead, which doesn't matter too much in vanguard strikes once your light level is high enough, but there's no reason the concept can't apply to the raid.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I don't want the raid to be just stand there and shoot the boss but I don't want a progression from KF's synchronized swimming. "Activate the plates clockwise from the randomly selected point while the relic holder twitsts the controller at a 45 degree angle when the moon is half full etc. etc." IMO VoG's mechanics nailed it as far as complexity

And even if WotM is more casual, this is the final year before the much bigger sequel and the DLC is being done by the people who made Challenge of the Elders so if you think this game is going to get more hardcore I have bad news

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Roman posted:

the DLC is being done by the people who made Challenge of the Elders so if you think this game is going to get more hardcore I have bad news

Considering people endless bitch about how "bad" KF is why would this be a bad thing?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
all this expansion should do is get people stoked for D2. they put in some new raid or whatever and give people so sick new gear and ways to outfit the gear, and then hand them private matches so they can jump back in and have fun casually after the holiday season. seems cool to me

mass effect comes out in march so that will hold me over til septempter 2017

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Considering people endless bitch about how "bad" KF is why would this be a bad thing?
I didn't say it was? Just saying that I like CoE but it's not exactly some hardcore dark souls experience. So if anyone was expecting the raids to get harder than KF it's not gonna happen. I'm ok with that

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I still think they'll put out a redone vault at some point before Destiny 2 comes out.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

FishBulb posted:

I still think they'll put out a redone vault at some point before Destiny 2 comes out.

Sure buddy

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'd like to see old raids brought up as a rotating weekly level 40 challenge with exclusive rewards. Maybe add KF style challenges to the old raids if it won't break the databases. Sounds perfect for an April Update style update

I mean since this is the last year before D2 I don't really see them making another full ROI size expansion so why the hell not update some old content, especially since CoE went over pretty well

Roman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 1, 2016

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

To be clear, I'm excited for a new strike-ier raid. The mechanics in KF weren't hard, definitely not as hard as people make them out to be, but it was a long rear end time commitment to get through, even on farm. A shorter, more chaotic raid sounds perfect for getting people back into the game to build excitement for D2.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wanna shoot things and get prizes. I do not want to stand around not shooting things.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Honestly they need to rethink what "Hard Mode" means. Perma death as a mechanic is really loving stupid.

Just make it like the nightfall, slap five modifiers on it and have them cycle weekly

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Remaining Cabal forces make a play for the Vault in an attempt to erase their recent losses to Guardians and The Taken.

There's your April update. Just think of all the assets they could reuse.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

deadwing posted:

Just make it like the nightfall, slap five modifiers on it and have them cycle weekly

Part of me prefers permadeath to exposure

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

deadwing posted:

KF HM
Bezerk
Exposure
Juggler
Ironclad and
Voidburn.

Sounds like fun.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Trickle
Void burn
Angry
Chaff
Trickle again

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

deadwing posted:

gently caress. That.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Curated modifiers are cool and good, Bungie did a decent job with them when CoE was new. It was always fun to head in and score a ton of points.

Since they apparently don't have any weighting applied to the modifiers, generating them with RNG is a loving disaster.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

el B posted:

gently caress. That.

Still better than "over level all the bad guys + permadeath"

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trickle again lmao

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Thats why I never did KF on hard mode. VoG was fun and challenging and DB was fine except for glitches. Synchronized swimming where if one goes down you wipe? Combine that with the 16 orb strat? Nope.

It isn't that hard to have a different mechanic:
-60 second death penalty. Trigger a legions phase like the Templar. Lots of yellow bars for your team to clean up/chain supers until you can be revived. Hard, but potentially fun with a good team.
or
-Dead guardian is in a containment field which can only be destroyed by a fully changed super from another entering the field. Have to sacrifice your super to revive your team mate.
or
-Individual supers disabled at a boss, you still charge your super bar. If a team mate dies, boss is buffed, and a debuff is applied to the group. Individual guardians can use a superbar to break the debuff and get a specific buff (something like radiance, increased damage output and increased shields) to keep DPS levels to the boss around the same. Kind of like a torn between dimensions/aura of invincibility mechanic. Revived teammates remain torn and unable to damage the boss until they can recharge their super bar killing adds to re enter the fight. Teams have to call adds and plan who charges a super.

Any of that garbage would be better than sitting there watching until the team wipes because I got hung up on a tiny piece of geometry.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You can still do 16 orb strat with a death, I've done it! It just takes the ability for everyone to not panic and adapt to the situation. I can't think of a single fight that can't be done on HM without all 6 staying alive the whole time (edit: totems maybe? It depends on when the person dies and which person dies, but the totems fight is dumb).

If you die in the first 30 seconds, sure, wipe it. But if you're 8 minutes in on a fight and someone dies, you have to have the burning shonen spirit to win

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Double posting to say that I guess I'm caping for KF so badly because I used to raid in WoW (I know, I know), and the mechanics feel pretty similar to my existing concept of "raiding."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How much would Void Burn even change KF, besides Golgoroth making GBS threads on you even faster if he catches you out of cover.

Arc Burn I can see being loving devastating.

• Locked thread