Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Welp, just had a promising Big Blue Blob attempt ruined by a regency. I'm at 48 provinces in 1476 (plus 6 owned by vassals) but I won't be able to declare another war until 1489, leaving me <11 years to capture and core the other 46. What a fun run-ending mechanic.

That achievement was created before favors was a thing, which would really limit your ability to expand in the early game.

The upcoming regency changes would at least have allowed your run to continue

So I guess that I am suggesting to leave Cossacks turned off (I think that's what turns on favors), although you'd have to balance that against whether or not you're milking the Estates system

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yay! I finally managed to kick Spain out of Italy. Take that you filthy backstabbed swine! Also I really like the ability to get Alexandria into a proper 25% autonomy province without having to get involved with Austria and the Ottoman and all of their allies. Estates are pretty awesome, if only I had more of them available.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

QuarkJets posted:

So I guess that I am suggesting to leave Cossacks turned off (I think that's what turns on favors), although you'd have to balance that against whether or not you're milking the Estates system

Does the AI manage estates? Effectively, or at all?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You see them succumb to Cossacks and tribes pretty regularly so they definitely have it, yeah.

Also you really don't need favors for Big Blue Blob, you're loving France

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

You see them succumb to Cossacks and tribes pretty regularly so they definitely have it, yeah.

Also you really don't need favors for Big Blue Blob, you're loving France

100 provinces by 1500 is a lot, though. And depending on your route, you might need to call on allies, either for their manpower or for alliance-web untangling

France is in a great start but it's not like they're invulnerable

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey I found a fun bug, apparently if you're building Spy Networks in 2 countries, and one fully annexes the other (say Bosnia annexes Ragusa and you have Diplomats in both) then you'll suddenly have two spies building a Spy Network in the larger country. And I made sure to check: the Spy Network does actually build twice as fast.

e: Downside; when you Fabricate a claim, the minimum requirement for fabricating is normal (20, 25, etc) but twice as many spy points will be deducated. So if you have 50 spy points, but only needed 20, then you'll suddenly have 10 spy points after fabricating a claim. But your spy network size can't be negative, so if you had 21 spy points and needed 20 then your network size just goes to 0

Neat

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 31, 2016

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

A few small things in this week's dev diary.

There is a new government type for Prussia which forces a minimum military score for all your rulers, There's also a new militarization mechanic for that gov type where depending on size of province vs (army tradition + legitimacy), you can gain militarization. So high army tradition will basically push you towards the bonuses which include +10% discipline, 33% cheaper army maintenance and 33% quicker manpower recovery at 100%.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Can't say I'm a fan of the design choice of giving nations their own government form so readily. For truly unique polities like Japan it makes sense, and you can at least make a case for the Netherlands, but Frederick's Prussia is just an enlightened despotism with a strong military focus.

Either you call it "Militaristic Monarchy" and allow any country to adopt it given the appropriate prerequisites, or it feels like nearly every country should have its own government form, much like national ideas.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I don't think Prussia is very high on the list of countries that need to be made more interesting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's actually an extremely bad change for gameplay IMO and feels like they just want to throw in some easy DLC-only content to boost sales.

I mean it seems more like something a mod would throw in because it's a quick and easy way of implementing it (based on gov type) and they jerk off to ~Prussian Ubermensch~.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't get why Prussian rulers needed min 3 MIL. There was no certainty the monarch was going to be militarily competent. If I'm not wrong didn't Prussia have its fair share of lovely leaders?

Also the militarization mechanism seems entirely unnecessary, and I can't imagine they can eventually apply it to other countries.

In all, what a waste of time.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

NihilCredo posted:

Can't say I'm a fan of the design choice of giving nations their own government form so readily. For truly unique polities like Japan it makes sense, and you can at least make a case for the Netherlands, but Frederick's Prussia is just an enlightened despotism with a strong military focus.
Almost all the Hohenzollerns in that period had a strong military focus, Fredricks father and grandfather included. Im not crazy about that change either, I thought Prussian national ideas more than capable of proving that point.

Prussia is an odd duck though, maybe +1 mil point when over a certain AT threshold would have been simpler.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

+1 mil point over a certain AT threshold is a fun idea. Better than the boring +1 to all MP over 50 power projection anyway, PP is so boring and arbitrary.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
+3 mil points is insane. I know the Prussians have a legacy of being military gods but didn't they also get loving clowned during the Napoleonic wars, in the game's period? If they're gonna give such enormous passive bonuses I feel like it ought to slide based on your militarism, so there's actually something of a downside. Give negative effects if it goes too low, rather than purely (incredibly huge) positives.

I'm not really against more unique government types like you guys are though. I agree it'd be good to let other countries form into it similar to how you can become a constitutional monarchy for the mechanics the English government type has, and also that Prussia isn't really a country I thought needed buffing, but hey it's more flavor.

And disinheriting your heir looks incredibly strong, drat. Especially as a Muslim. I kinda feel like it ought to change the heir's claim from strong to medium or medium to weak etc or something too, especially now there's a way to buy up legitimacy.

e: not a fan of how they made the "strengthen government type" button look to be honest, it really seems slapped onto the interface. Looks kind of out of place in the government tabs where most things have unique art.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 1, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Johan posted:

Prussia with Rights of Man will be a taller state, that can punch far above its weight, and require a bit of a different playing strategie.

Prussia can already punch above its weight and doesn't need a bunch of improvements. I'd like this feature better if any monarchy could turn militaristic under certain circumstances, just Prussia gets to do so automatically.

All the other features in this dev diary look good, though. Man, they're gonna get me to shell out full price for yet another DLC aren't they?

EDIT: Has a dev diary talked about the apparent changes to how accepted cultures are handled? Look at the government screen in those screenshots. There's something about "promoted cultures."

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 1, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

+3 mil points is insane.
I know it is semantics but it isnt "+3"; it is "minimum of 3". I agree that they should get more based on their militarism rather than simply getting it. I do like that the smaller they are the easier it will be to keep their militarism high (so as players blob it will be harder to get those bonuses).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Oh that's not semantics at all, I totally misread it. Thanks for the clarification.

Still good but not nearly so strong.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Mysticblade posted:

There is a new government type for Prussia which forces a minimum military score for all your rulers, There's also a new militarization mechanic for that gov type where depending on size of province vs (army tradition + legitimacy), you can gain militarization. So high army tradition will basically push you towards the bonuses which include +10% discipline, 33% cheaper army maintenance and 33% quicker manpower recovery at 100%.

quote:

At 100 % militarized society, you gain +10% discipline, 33% cheaper army maintenance and 33% quicker manpower recovery.
:getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Oh that's not semantics at all, I totally misread it. Thanks for the clarification.

Still good but not nearly so strong.
I didnt want to seem rude on the chance you meant "min 3" rather than "+3" :shrug: I guess a better thing to say would have been "not to nitpick, but", heh :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't really understand why nerds have such a boner for Prussia.

they beat the Austrians a few times in the 19ths, what an amazing feat, give them robocop armies in the 1600s!!!

meanwhile the Otomans are still a regular boring monarchy

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Mans posted:

they beat the Austrians a few times in the 19ths, what an amazing feat, give them robocop armies in the 1600s!!!

They are getting their own government form as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Star posted:

They are getting their own government form as well.
Yeah this expansion/patch is going to be huge. Tech overhaul, new gov forms, ruler traits, all the other ruler mechanics.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I suspect the extra Prussian stuff is the outcome of their investigation into which countries people actually play. Brandenburg was beating a lot of the countries in the 'Suggested 7', which is why it now appears there; this would be a logical extension of that.

But I agree with the people who think it's going a little overboard, especially since the Prussian military reforms were a reaction to their inability to accomplish much of anything in the 30YW, and how a lot of the organizational advantages that allowed them to punch so well in the 18th century had mostly eroded by the Napoleonic wars. But it'll make Brandenburg even more fun, so I'm honestly fine with it. Now if only they'd get rid of that awful grey color...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think a lot of the country-specific buffs should be events/decisions in response to certain conditions. If they really want to do the militarization mechanism, for instance, they could make it kick off by decision once Prussia gets pummeled in war or fall behind in mil tech or whatever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I dunno, it's a very tangible thing and a mechanic to plan around when it's a unique government. In the stream they were saying they want a unique mechanic like that for lots of countries, and I think I'm really in support of that, you can differentiate things in ways ideas really can't, by having scaling bonuses or potential negatives.

Also watching the preview stream for this week, firstly institutions look absolutely amazing, massively more dynamic than the current system. But also Ming's gonna be super boned by this- to reform they used to have to westernize- now, they have to fully integrate 4 institutions, which takes 200+ years. No more running off to Africa and reforming by 1500 anymore.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mysticblade posted:

The Queen is 30. The heir is 22.

Mans posted:

They had some pretty sweet hats.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

In all fairness, I think the Ming seemed kind of super boned historically anyway :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I generally prefer the more EU3-style sandbox design where historical restrictions are kept to a minimum. EU4 was intentionally designed as a compromise between EU3's sandbox and EU2's railroad, which naturally makes me unhappy at times.

For example, I think that the Dutch Republic is not as bad as Prussian Monarchy, but it's still bad design. Becoming a Republican confederacy shouldn't be triggered by being Dutch or Swiss, it should be triggered by (for example) having recently formed and having most of your provinces be at roughly similar development levels but belonging to different cultures or cores. And you shouldn't get trade and naval bonuses for being a Dutch Republic, you should get trade and naval bonuses for having a large percentage of your provinces be coastal or rivers. And so on.

Colonial Air Force posted:

A heir isn't necessarily a son, it can be a brother or a nephew. Or an uncle, for that matter.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NihilCredo posted:

I generally prefer the more EU3-style sandbox design where historical restrictions are kept to a minimum. EU4 was intentionally designed as a compromise between EU3's sandbox and EU2's railroad, which naturally makes me unhappy at times.

For example, I think that the Dutch Republic is not as bad as Prussian Monarchy, but it's still bad design. Becoming a Republican confederacy shouldn't be triggered by being Dutch or Swiss, it should be triggered by (for example) having recently formed and having most of your provinces be at roughly similar development levels but belonging to different cultures or cores. And you shouldn't get trade and naval bonuses for being a Dutch Republic, you should get trade and naval bonuses for having a large percentage of your provinces be coastal or rivers. And so on.
I hope EU5 has lots of stuff like this to make it more dynamic and interesting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

People used to get married at a younger age back then.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Being able to increase horde unity with mil points is going to be really nice.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The "they're giving X country more stuff because the majority of people only play these ten countries" goes both ways. If they just keep giving the cool stuff to the same group of countries then there's no reason to play any of the other ones. I am glad that they're not completely ignoring the ROTW though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So a friend just bought me this game, intending for us to do MP. Now my question is how crap is the tutorial in this? I'm a CK2 vet, so the idea of a decent tutorial is foreign to me.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

ShootaBoy posted:

So a friend just bought me this game, intending for us to do MP. Now my question is how crap is the tutorial in this? I'm a CK2 vet, so the idea of a decent tutorial is foreign to me.

With how much has changed over the course of the game's life, I can't imagine the tutorial is up to date. I'd recommend maybe watching some youtubes from like Arumba or ddrjake then jump in as the ottomans

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ShootaBoy posted:

EU4 has a tutorial???

Just play it and figure it out. It's pretty similar to CK2, and the game does a good enough job explaining itself as you go along. Castille is usually a good country for new players.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

With how much has changed over the course of the game's life, I can't imagine the tutorial is up to date. I'd recommend maybe watching some youtubes from like Arumba or ddrjake then jump in as the ottomans

I played it like a year ago and looking back it seemed reasonably good. It didn't cover nearly everything but it did cover enough to get started

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

The "they're giving X country more stuff because the majority of people only play these ten countries" goes both ways. If they just keep giving the cool stuff to the same group of countries then there's no reason to play any of the other ones. I am glad that they're not completely ignoring the ROTW though.

I'm surprised people play the same handful of countries over and over. Half the fun of this game is how every country plays differently.

Smaller countries are more fun, too. I actually haven't played France or England yet.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'm gonna pass on Arumba's vids, cause if his EU4 stuff is anything like his CK2 stuff, he'll be flying through menus with keyboard shortcuts and doing everything so fast that he'll miss really obvious stuff constantly. So I guess I'll check out this ddrjake guy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Elman posted:

I'm surprised people play the same handful of countries over and over. Half the fun of this game is how every country plays differently.

Smaller countries are more fun, too. I actually haven't played France or England yet.

I generally only play one or two proper games every major patch so picking the same countries lets me see how things changed from a familiar perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ShootaBoy posted:

It's good, but it's the extreme basics of how to play. If you played CK2, you already know drat near everything that tutorial is going to teach you.

• Locked thread