Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

To who/what? I'm looking all around this Republican Party, and Larry Bird ain't walking through that door, Kevin McHale ain't walking through that door...

You're probably right, but just because we can't think of what the 2020 field looks like doesn't mean it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

You're probably right, but just because we can't think of what the 2020 field looks like doesn't mean it's good.

It's pretty clearly going to be Cruz, and I am going to love it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Tom Cotton gonna run in '20 maybe

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

WampaLord posted:

No, I know the GOOD parts of killing the filibuster, I mean why are people freaking out over it being gone if we lost the Senate in 2018?

Because there are a lot of people who will buy into Paul Ryan's #betterway horseshit. If Paul Ryan somehow goes down before 2018 I won't be worried anymore but I've met the high functioning "Conservatives" who think as long as you're Paul Ryan about it there must be some good and genuine ideas there! They're also the types who went in favoring Rubio.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You people and your Cruzlust, yeah, I'm pretty sure that he can't win a general but I'm also pretty sure that you can't detonate a nuclear warhead by hitting it with a hammer. Doesn't mean I'm gonna enjoy swinging.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

emdash posted:

Tom Cotton gonna run in '20 maybe

Tom Cotton looks, sounds like, and is a stupid motherfucker. He's got no national upside.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

mdemone posted:

Tom Cotton looks, sounds like, and is a stupid motherfucker.

So does Trump, to people like us. Just sayin'

e: I get that they are not analogous, the point is that you can't necessarily predict who will ride a tide of their own idiocy through the GOP primary

emdash fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 1, 2016

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

You people and your Cruzlust, yeah, I'm pretty sure that he can't win a general but I'm also pretty sure that you can't detonate a nuclear warhead by hitting it with a hammer. Doesn't mean I'm gonna enjoy swinging.

But what if hitting it with the hammer destroyed Ted Cruz's hopes and dreams? Now will you swing it?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Radish posted:

I'd like to think the media is really damaging their credibility with all this. Republicans already believe that the media is leftwing and untrustworthy; I can't think that this blatant double standard that some journalists are showing where Trump is being treated like a child and gets a gold star for eating his food without choking is helping them with democrats that are in serious Clinton "scandal" fatigue.

You act like CNN/NBC/FOX are even going to be around, let alone relevant, when the baby boomers die off

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

Honest question, why does losing the Senate matter if Hillary can veto anything lovely that they pass?

The lack of a filibuster wouldn't change anything in that regard.

If Democrats control the Senate, then they can confirm treaties and appoint judges. If Republicans control the Senate, good loving luck doing either of those things. If Republicans hold on to the Senate, Hillary might be able to nominate a moderate Justice like Garland to take Scalia's seat just because I think Republicans stonewalling any choice for four more years would be massively unpopular, especially after the reasoning they used for blocking Obama's appointment, but good luck filling other federal judge positions, and if there's another Supreme Court opening in the last two years of her term they'll definitely stonewall her like they did Obama.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mdemone posted:

It's pretty clearly going to be Cruz, and I am going to love it.

Hell yes, are you ready for a full election season of Cruz's loved ones being visibly repulsed by him :woop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

But what if hitting it with the hammer destroyed Ted Cruz's hopes and dreams? Now will you swing it?

To the man holding a hammer, all problems look like Ted Cruz

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/771356213992943616
:eyepop:

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 1, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mdemone posted:

Tom Cotton looks, sounds like, and is a stupid motherfucker. He's got no national upside.

Being stuck in the hick state that elected that bastard, I can confirm, but that doesn't mean much if he could find the same type of gullible dumb old white people to support him. Especially since Trump lowered the bar so much.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Or even better, Cruz having to be directed to have any kind of emotional moment with his own mother

(sorry last one, just re-discovered this and holy poo poo I forgot how bad Cruz is at being human)

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I'll read through that, thanks.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Media coverage of the race has been terrible lately. They're totally desperate for there to be a horse-race and they're actively trying to foment poo poo. Like how the AP did blatantly false reporting on the Clinton Foundation this past week. I was listening to Here and Now on NPR and they had a segment where the host was tossing a Republican strategist softballs about the "legitimate questions" on the Clinton Foundation, and asking whether they should shut it down after the election or just shut it down right now. And they're still trying desperately to keep the email server story alive, asking why news about this story "just won't end" as they endlessly beat the dead horse on their nationally-syndicated radio program.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having tremendous effect, the first caller on an episode of the Diane Rehm show put it best - "this story is ancient and there's nothing there, you guys are just trying to make mountains out of a molehill".

emails emails emails Emails Emails Emails EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS :argh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

If Democrats control the Senate, then they can confirm treaties and appoint judges. If Republicans control the Senate, good loving luck doing either of those things. If Republicans hold on to the Senate, Hillary might be able to nominate a moderate Justice like Garland to take Scalia's seat just because I think Republicans stonewalling any choice for four more years would be massively unpopular, especially after the reasoning they used for blocking Obama's appointment, but good luck filling other federal judge positions, and if there's another Supreme Court opening in the last two years of her term they'll definitely stonewall her like they did Obama.

None of that has anything to do with the filibuster being gone.

Everyone is not understanding my point. If the filibuster is killed and we lose the Senate in 2018, nothing particularly extra bad will happen due to the filibuster being gone.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

CommieGIR posted:

Its worse than that, in an effort to maximize profits, you now have insurance groups establishing Health Clinics to cut out the middle man.

That's actually not a terrible idea. They're able to offer the same services for less. Insurance companies ARE the middle men.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh boy now I get to Arzy not about the election but the 'publicans getting cute and shutting down the government again, during which I don't wokr and don't get paid

Anxiety is a bitch

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

emails emails emails Emails Emails Emails EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS :argh:

Private citizen using private e-mail? OMG.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/771356205495320576

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Media coverage of the race has been terrible lately. They're totally desperate for there to be a horse-race and they're actively trying to foment poo poo. Like how the AP did blatantly false reporting on the Clinton Foundation this past week. I was listening to Here and Now on NPR and they had a segment where the host was tossing a Republican strategist softballs about the "legitimate questions" on the Clinton Foundation, and asking whether they should shut it down after the election or just shut it down right now. And they're still trying desperately to keep the email server story alive, asking why news about this story "just won't end" as they endlessly beat the dead horse on their nationally-syndicated radio program.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to be having tremendous effect, the first caller on an episode of the Diane Rehm show put it best - "this story is ancient and there's nothing there, you guys are just trying to make mountains out of a molehill".

No, see, it's Hillary's own fault the media keeps pushing bullshit stories about her, according to this NYT reporter:

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/771365874959867904

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Seriously, "do nothing" is such a loving amazing strategy here. They have nothing and she's giving them no ammo whatsoever. It's incredible.

EDIT: it's like

"Trump threatens to round up all dissenters to work in coal mines for no pay at gunpoint"

"Hillary's brushing habits: is her floss patriotic enough?"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Yeah? And. It's a popular idea in theory, it may not be the best idea though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LeslieSanchez/status/771362138011103232

But how come?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The better question is why are the other 15 staying?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

WampaLord posted:

None of that has anything to do with the filibuster being gone.

As a general rule, the less bureaucracy between an elected official and them making their fever dreams a reality the more likely they won't have to put in effort to do stupid poo poo.

If I were evil, and I probably am by most conservative standards, dismantling the filibuster would be on my to do list because having the civility to have it and not abused is far too much a risk for preventing my agenda of FEMA camps for America so only unwed Muslim mother's of 6 are the ruling class in America.

Unfortunately we have an entire party that doesn't participate in good faith, so here we are trying to get the government's head above water in the bathtub against the GOP's downward pressure.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

She's so scandal plagued that they can't find anything else to talk about re: her scandals except for the one thing a majority of Americans are sick of hearing about

If they get so many complaints that they stop on their own and Clinton refuses to give them more ammo, what do they do?

Haha trick question the media will never stop talking about emails

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

She's so scandal plagued that they can't find anything else to talk about re: her scandals except for the one thing a majority of Americans are sick of hearing about

If they get so many complaints that they stop on their own and Clinton refuses to give them more ammo, what do they do?

Haha trick question the media will never stop talking about emails

It's Clinton Rules.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yinlock posted:

Seriously, "do nothing" is such a loving amazing strategy here. They have nothing and she's giving them no ammo whatsoever. It's incredible.

Apart from working crowds at rallies and throwing the occasional barb at Mr Tiny-Hands on Twitter, the debate is literally the only thing she has to actively do in the next two months. And she's reportedly taking advantage of the situation and spending a bunch of time on debate prep.

The debate's gonna be a rough patch for the Arzy crowd though, because it's going to be a repeat of the Palin debate where the media will fellate him for not throwing a nazi salute and Heil Hitler'ing or calling Clinton a oval office to her face.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mic/status/771368797290782720

Weird how this keeps happening.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apart from working crowds at rallies and throwing the occasional barb at Mr Tiny-Hands, the debate is literally the only thing she has to actively do in the next two months. And she's reportedly taking advantage of the situation and spending a bunch of time on debate prep.

The debate's gonna be a rough patch for the Arzy crowd though, because it's going to be a repeat of the Palin debate where the media will fellate him for not throwing a nazi salute and Heil Hitler'ing or calling Clinton a oval office to her face.

Assuming he can do that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol look at the narrative pushing pre-writes that went out yesterday and tell me he isn't going to "win" the debate even if he does toss a Hitler salute

poo poo Ingram tossed one to a giant picture of Trump and nobody seemed to take notice is the press, at least not off Twitter

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

Nate screwed up on Trump in the primaries and is over-compensating.

"What if we extrapolate a small change INTO INFINITY?!?! WHAT THEN I ASK YOU?!?! :aaaaa:

No, no he isn't. The model was set before the primary was happening. It is literally impossible for him to do what you're describing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Lol look at the narrative pushing pre-writes that went out yesterday and tell me he isn't going to "win" the debate even if he does toss a Hitler salute

poo poo Ingram tossed one to a giant picture of Trump and nobody seemed to take notice is the press, at least not off Twitter

I don't think he'll "win" the debates. I think he'll get "credit" for showing up and not vomiting everywhere. Those are subtly different things, but as Ana Navaro put it on CNN this morning: people, particularly Hispanics and other minorities, aren't going to simply forget all the crap he's said overnight.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I'm not as optimistic about the debates, I just assume Trump will childishly shout over everything and/or just leave early because of the clear bias* against him, and everyone will say CLINTON CRUSHED BY TRUMP'S STRONG LEADERSHIP

*facts

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Assuming he can do that.

David Brooks, the morning after: "You know, when I watched the debate I could clearly see that his heart wasn't in it when he heiled, and his goose-stepping wasn't as sharp and crisp as everyone expected. I think this is finally the pivot we've all been waiting for."

edit:

Epic High Five posted:

This.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think he'll "win" the debates. I think he'll get "credit" for showing up and not vomiting everywhere. Those are subtly different things, but as Ana Navaro put it on CNN this morning: people, particularly Hispanics and other minorities, aren't going to simply forget all the crap he's said overnight.

Oh she's come back around, because she was sucking his dick yesterday

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

Hell yes, are you ready for a full election season of Cruz's loved ones being visibly repulsed by him :woop:

to be fair this is pretty normal behavior for a tweenage girl, my sister in law is 15 and she hates everything and everyone

really the worst thing is insisting on giving your kid a hug/kiss when they don't want it. bodily autonomy extends to children too :argh:

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 1, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

No, no he isn't. The model was set before the primary was happening. It is literally impossible for him to do what you're describing.

No, but I do think he's being overly cautious. "But but the race could tighten! and then it would look different!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Oh she's come back around, because she was sucking his dick yesterday

Apparently the speech last night reminded her.

• Locked thread