Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

botany posted:

How do you run the wires through the wall though?

If it's non-Vault, there's fancy wall passthru conduit that (in my experience) is fugly and a pain in the rear end to use.

If Vault, the easiest way to do it is a section of hallway, your door, more hallway and whatever else you want. Vault conduit boxes on the wall on either side of the door, connect to your switches/door(s)/power.

I've got a couple places with an extra section of hallway hanging out into the open, just so I can run power off the wallmount to all the external poo poo I've got going. I think I also have one with a glassless window providing powerline access... hanging a Vault conduit on the outside doesn't seem to work, sometimes, and you can't put one on the outside of Atrium pieces anyway. (I'm also using a mod that triples the radius of Vault conduits, so I actually have decent power availability for the most part.)

Oh, and I found a use for those ugly-rear end elevators - when I make a Doom Cube (Super power plant, walled-in, roofed and with a bunch of turrets on top), I use the elevator for the second-floor-only entry and roof access.

And still get Deathclaws loitering up top. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

If you've got the contraptions DLC you can use conduits to run wires through walls. Otherwise I think you're stuck trying to run a wire through a broken window or a hole in the wall.

Before contraptions, pretty sure I managed to run a wire through the door while it was open. (I fuckin hate the wiring system. It's so inconsistent)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Remember when wires cost a copper a piece?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Before contraptions, pretty sure I managed to run a wire through the door while it was open. (I fuckin hate the wiring system. It's so inconsistent)

You can also use a wall with a hole or window in it. Or even those concrete wire barrier walls iirc.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Solid concrete walls can be built over existing wires so you can wire up both sides first and then add the wall. If you have Contraptions you can also make a proper double-switch door (if you care about being able to close it from both sides) by connecting both switches to an XOR gate.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Yet another random question: has anyone tried the paintball gun/turret? (Probably added by Contraptions.) Does it target, or is it like the baseball launcher and "just straight ahead"? Can you gently caress with different loads, like frenzy or sleep rounds?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yet another random question: has anyone tried the paintball gun/turret? (Probably added by Contraptions.) Does it target, or is it like the baseball launcher and "just straight ahead"? Can you gently caress with different loads, like frenzy or sleep rounds?

It just shoots straight ahead. It's useful for triggering the switch that goes off when someone/something shoots it. Or if you want to make a funhouse with traps that only go off once (some people do this, actually)

Once saw someone put Marcy Long in stocks, surrounded her with triggered guns, and firing them all off (Marcy was essential back then...so...)

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

what was the mod people were suggesting to install to make survival a little less strict

In what way did you want to make it less strict?

There are mods that reenable fast travel or quicksaving, or provide things like a portable sleeping bag for quick saving in, or let you fast travel just between settlements.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Got an explosive handmade rifle.

Time to use it for 30 minutes and then never again because it's the end of the game and there's no more DLC.

Kinda depressing, but on the other hand I'm not sure how much more FO4 I can stomach.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Had to off Sheffield today. He took all my 5mm to go w/ three pinched miniguns (one legendary). I couldn't get him to trade (he just kept repeating his lines) and pickpocketing always resulted in the settlement trurning hostile. Told him to relocate, 100 steps later *BANG*

I mean I'm already flush w/ caps and hate miniguns, but it's the principle of it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Started a new survival game yesterday with various popular mods. I just rescued Preston and did the Sanctuary setup quests. But, in planting food, the workshop UI is asking for "[Raw] Food Name" like [Raw] Mutfruit, to plant. The "Wild Mutfruit" I pick from plants in the woods cannot be planted, as it is not [Raw].

Did I miss a memo? Is this an intended thing in survival mode, or what mod causes this? I'm quite confused. Maybe Valdacil Item Sorting or DEF_INV?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not familiar with the mods but Wild Mutfruit and Mutfruit are different items in the base game and only the latter can be planted. Graygarden has a bunch of plantable mutfruit, or if you just want food in general then get some tatos and melons from Abernathy farm.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

pmchem posted:

Started a new survival game yesterday with various popular mods. I just rescued Preston and did the Sanctuary setup quests. But, in planting food, the workshop UI is asking for "[Raw] Food Name" like [Raw] Mutfruit, to plant. The "Wild Mutfruit" I pick from plants in the woods cannot be planted, as it is not [Raw].

Did I miss a memo? Is this an intended thing in survival mode, or what mod causes this? I'm quite confused. Maybe Valdacil Item Sorting or DEF_INV?

That's normal all the way up and down, or at least it is in my game on Normal with no mods. Wild Mutfruit, Wild Corn, etc. are different items from Mutfruit, Corn, etc., and only the latter can be planted. Basically, you have to harvest a domesticated plant to make more domesticated plants.

efb

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

haha okay, I either never noticed it from my first playthrough or I forgot. god that's so bethesda, YOU CAN'T PLANT THIS PLANT

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Allen Wren posted:

Wild Mutfruit, Wild Corn, etc. are different items from Mutfruit, Corn, etc., and only the latter can be planted.

Very intuitive.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Why the hell are the workstations at Fizztop not linked together? And is there a mod for that yet?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
What's this I hear about turning on Nuka World's power? Is it true you have to either raid a few settlements or kill the raiders before your given the power plant key? Couldn't you just use the console to spawn the key? If you do that would it mess quest-line up?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
apparently getting hubologist scans boosts your intelligence. I burned 20k caps on them and I have 43 int now.

Halser fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 1, 2016

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That's amazing. Is it permanent?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

I have an Xbox and use a mod called survival options that gives you the ability to toggle on and off all survival conditions. I turn off the carry weight restriction, and give myself the ability to autosave. I also use the mod APC transport, which gives you an APC to fast travel to settlements and cities once you fuel it. It doesn't let you fast travel anywhere you want, so I think it's a reasonable trade off.

Promethium posted:

Solid concrete walls can be built over existing wires so you can wire up both sides first and then add the wall. If you have Contraptions you can also make a proper double-switch door (if you care about being able to close it from both sides) by connecting both switches to an XOR gate.

You can also use a terminal inside if it's connected to the same power grid as the door. I have a garage I made at the drive in with a switch outside and the vault-tech population terminal inside. When I want to get out I just command the terminal to open all switches.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

What's this I hear about turning on Nuka World's power? Is it true you have to either raid a few settlements or kill the raiders before your given the power plant key? Couldn't you just use the console to spawn the key? If you do that would it mess quest-line up?

It might not be true actually. Turns out there was a ladder up to the roof that I overlooked that you need to take to turn the place on, and there doesn't seem to be anything required. I'm currently on my good guy who killed all the raiders, but I'll try on my rear end in a top hat cheat character that hasn't finished clearing the parks later.

EDIT: Cancel that, there's a Key Required door in the way that I guess just magically unlocks itself when you kill the raider leaders :cripes:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 1, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
For those of you that played as Raider King, do you do anything with the flagpole at the top of the Nuka boat ride/plant?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

hup posted:

That's amazing. Is it permanent?

Just slept for 8 hours and it went down to 37.

Maybe I need to get my evil alien spirits checked up every day, I'll have to wait more to see.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ymgve posted:

For those of you that played as Raider King, do you do anything with the flagpole at the top of the Nuka boat ride/plant?

There's one in each park. When you've finished clearing the place it's where you get to decide which gang gets the park.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well that sounds like an excellent use of 20K caps.

If you hurry and clear out the map you could probably powerlevel the poo poo out of your character as you'd get over double the amount experience for each kill. Granted if you had that much money to burn it probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference since you'd probably be level 50+ anyway.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pmchem posted:

haha okay, I either never noticed it from my first playthrough or I forgot. god that's so bethesda, YOU CAN'T PLANT THIS PLANT

I really don't understand the purpose of having wild versions of the various food plants, which you can't plant or cook with or do anything with. They seem to be there solely to trick the player into wasting time with them, and then afterwards to taunt you with their almost-but-not-quite-food status. "You need some mutfruit? Well, this is almost it... but it's not. Sorry!"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Promethium posted:

I'm really glad they spent dev time on this instead of a single questline that topped "completely mediocre".

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy poo poo, once you start knocking over farms your Raider Outposts start generating a *shitload* of money. I'm getting thousands popping up in my Overboss Trunk.

I'm pretty sure raider stores charge way, way less for items than normal settlement shops do too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I got the quest Cache-ing In, and it says to attack a Minuteman cache. That'll piss them off right? I don't want that. This quest won't get finished, will it?

Edit: I did the Operator one too, A Goods Defense, and that set me up against the Brotherhood. Welp, guess I'm not helping these guys either.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 1, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Holy poo poo, once you start knocking over farms your Raider Outposts start generating a *shitload* of money. I'm getting thousands popping up in my Overboss Trunk.

I'm pretty sure raider stores charge way, way less for items than normal settlement shops do too.

So I can skip over local leader in my raider play through? Good I'm tired of being a water baron.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

There's working carnival games in the Decorations > Nuka-World > Nuka-Cade category! Build a skee-ball machine at your local settlement today!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Funny thing about all the Nuka-World weapons and armor: they require more perks than normal to be upgraded. The Western Revolver requires you to have Gunslinger perks too, the AK-47 requires Rifleman and/or Commando perks depending on whether you're making an automatic or a semiauto, and what mods you put on the raider armor is dependent on a variety of perks. The Ultralight mod on armor requires you to have some Pickpocket perks, while the Deep Pockets mod requires Scrounger perks. Interesting.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So what rewards do you miss out on when you do 'good' route and kill all the raiders? Do you get anything special other the satisfied feeling of killing raiders and freeing slaves?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the western revolver is just the normal .44. the gently caress is this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Survival at higher levels really does devolve into tedium. Mods could help alleviate a few of the problems, but alas PS4

Roobanguy posted:

the western revolver is just the normal .44. the gently caress is this?

I'm all for creatively reusing assets to give us more toys to play with, but this is a particularly lazy palette swap

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Speedball posted:

Funny thing about all the Nuka-World weapons and armor: they require more perks than normal to be upgraded. The Western Revolver requires you to have Gunslinger perks too, the AK-47 requires Rifleman and/or Commando perks depending on whether you're making an automatic or a semiauto, and what mods you put on the raider armor is dependent on a variety of perks. The Ultralight mod on armor requires you to have some Pickpocket perks, while the Deep Pockets mod requires Scrounger perks. Interesting.

I noticed that too when I went to go see what mods can be applied to the AK. It suprised me but I don't necessarily hate it - not the concept anyway. As it would encourage more specialization.

But to have it tacked on like that is really rather a pain. By the time you get to Nuka-World you're supposed to already be a high level (30+) and having a system that's completely inconsistent with the rest of the game pop up like that means you probably aren't spec'ed correctly for what you want. Few other items in the game (mostly power armour mods IIRC) have multiple requirements like that, and they are quite as strict.

I doubt they'd retroactively apply it to the rest of the game but it would be interesti g to see how thay changes things up if they did.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

So what rewards do you miss out on when you do 'good' route and kill all the raiders? Do you get anything special other the satisfied feeling of killing raiders and freeing slaves?

Most of the sidequests involving taming the various parks remain, and I think you get a completion perk similar to the ones in Far Harbor. Need to test it out on another character. Going the raider route, it seems that pissing off one of the three gangs is inevitable (whoever you gave less territory to, since there's an uneven amount of places you can make their home). So you fight the hostile gang that took over the power plant, and use their key to restore power to Nuka World. You get two factional perks for siding with whoever's left; the Disciples and Pack give you interesting melee perks and the Operators give you a sneak attack perk and bonus stealth in darkness. What I need to check is if there's a fourth perk for annihilating the raiders instead (probably). I know the guy running the Nuka-cade, Sierra's side quest, and all the various other cool things you can find around the park remain.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Probably figured it'd remind people of New Vegas is they used a proper single-action wheelgun.

Problem Solver (or whatever the Packie legendary AK is called) works *really* well all Krinked out - advanced pistol grip, dot reflex sight, shortest barrel, quick stick mag, compensator and the most powerful automatic receiver. :getin: One magdump will murder Annihilator Sentry Bots. (With full Commando of course.)

I will say, the new Pimpbot paintjobs look awesome - gonna end up spending time re-customizing my Doombot Hordes later on.

And ascending the Hubologists to the next level was well worth the four power cores.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Speedball posted:

Most of the sidequests involving taming the various parks remain, and I think you get a completion perk similar to the ones in Far Harbor. Need to test it out on another character. Going the raider route, it seems that pissing off one of the three gangs is inevitable (whoever you gave less territory to, since there's an uneven amount of places you can make their home). So you fight the hostile gang that took over the power plant, and use their key to restore power to Nuka World. You get two factional perks for siding with whoever's left; the Disciples and Pack give you interesting melee perks and the Operators give you a sneak attack perk and bonus stealth in darkness. What I need to check is if there's a fourth perk for annihilating the raiders instead (probably). I know the guy running the Nuka-cade, Sierra's side quest, and all the various other cool things you can find around the park remain.

The operator pack actually just boosts suppressed weapon damage by 25%, it's insane. If non silenced weapons weren't bad before, they are now.

Shame there isn't much left to shoot after you finish Nuka World, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Silenced weapons did not not another modifier on top of the umpteen mods they already get. What on earth.

• Locked thread