Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

How ironic now the Communist is asserting that markets are intrinsic to human nature and not the product of the society and state which maintains them
I liked how you subtly dropped the "neo" before colonalism there

markets being intrinsic is your position and i clearly framed it as such. try reading

it isn't the same thing as neocolonialism either. is your pedantry sated now

the post-collapse ussr wasn't a bunch of confused citizens wandering around, dazed, unsure of what to do with all this newfound Freedom, either. but i can't force you to actually read something on the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Typo posted:

No, you were not-so-vaguely insinuating racism

Explicitly insinuating racism, actually. There's no other reading.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Jack of Hearts posted:

gotta shift shift shift that rhetorical focus btw horseshoe theory is a mythhhhhhhh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

Every other Soviet Republic hadn't experienced market conditions since the NEP either, so how else are we supposed to read the idea that Russians uniquely can't handle freedom?

I honestly gotta hand it to Typo, it takes a real dedication to get absolutely everything wrong.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Homework Explainer posted:

markets being intrinsic is your position and i clearly framed it as such. try reading

quote:

b) markets are some mystical arcane force that go away if you stop thinking about them like tinkerbell
Read those two statements back to back and think about it a little bit

quote:

it isn't the same thing as neocolonialism either. is your pedantry sated now
Yes but the argument was about neocolonialism, the truth is during much of the cold war exporting cheap goods to the west was considered (and still is considered) "exploitation" but yet citizens of countries which did the exporting ended up prospering from it.

quote:

the post-collapse ussr wasn't a bunch of confused citizens wandering around, dazed, unsure of what to do with all this newfound Freedom, either. but i can't force you to actually read something on the subject
Of course, shock therapy was bad for a country which needed a decade or longer to establish the basics of a market economy such as property rights and a real pricing system before privatization occured. That's true too.

But Poland underwent shock therapy as well and ended up order of magnitudes better than Russia 20 years down the road and is well on the way to becoming a 1st world country today, constantly ranting about the IMF and how the Communist world would have ended up better if they just stayed in the 1980s forever is a bad argument.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Constant Hamprince posted:

gotta shift shift shift that rhetorical focus btw horseshoe theory is a mythhhhhhhh

Haha horseshoe theory oh my god 😂

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Every other Soviet Republic hadn't experienced market conditions since the NEP either, so how else are we supposed to read the idea that Russians uniquely can't handle freedom?

I honestly gotta hand it to Typo, it takes a real dedication to get absolutely everything wrong.

My entire point is that the entire FSU (former soviet union) did badly post-1989 relative to other east bloc countries and I explicitly stated this repeatedly

maybe central asia might have being an exception to this but I don't know enough about Kazakhstan or w/e to say for sure

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

Read those two statements back to back and think about it a little bit

the second statement doesn't imply the first and i'm not sure how you could think so

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

The Kingfish posted:

Haha horseshoe theory oh my god 😂

Communist Trump supporter here to debunk horseshoe theory, let's hear it dog

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

My entire point is that the entire FSU (former soviet union) did badly post-1989 relative to other east bloc countries and I explicitly stated this repeatedly

maybe central asia might have being an exception to this but I don't know enough about Kazakhstan or w/e to say for sure

This isn't true either, though. Literally nothing you've said has been correct in any way. You're not even curious enough to do the minimal effort.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

the second statement doesn't imply the first and i'm not sure how you could think so

quote:

b) markets are some mystical arcane force that go away if you stop thinking about them like tinkerbell
If markets are the product of a certain type of state and society which maintain them (as oppose to human nature), than yes, general consciousness of how they work does go away if the state spends 70 years banning markets

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Communist Trump supporter here to debunk horseshoe theory, let's hear it dog

smdh

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This isn't true either, though. Literally nothing you've said has been correct in any way. You're not even curious enough to do the minimal effort.

oh yeah, I guess the Baltics are also an exception but they had market societies way past the NEP and they are what <1% of the land area of the ussr

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Here let me help you: you want to counter-argue by pointing to the Baltic SSRs.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Judging communism by its proponents itt, it's pretty safe to say communism is uncool and bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

"I like to imagine that political ideologies exist on a horizontal plane from left to right. Also, this plane loops back around on itself so two ideologies that are very different from another are exactly the same."

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Typo posted:

oh yeah, I guess the Baltics are also an exception but they had market societies way past the NEP and they are what <1% of the land area of the ussr

i think your argument is unraveling

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

If markets are the product of a certain type of state and society which maintain them (as oppose to human nature), than yes, general consciousness of how they work does go away if the state spends 70 years banning markets

please define "market" for us. thanks in advance

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Karl Barks posted:

i think your argument is unraveling

a lot less than communism :agesilaus:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Notice how Typo can't even consider that Russians regularly participated in black markets. Or that a people indoctrinated in Marxist theory, an ideology rooted in its criticism of capitalism & markets, wouldn't understand how markets are supposed to work.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

"I like to imagine that political ideologies exist on a horizontal plane from left to right. Also, this plane loops back around on itself so two ideologies that are very different from another are exactly the same."

Do you know what a plane is?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

please define "market" for us. thanks in advance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_(economics)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Notice how Typo can't even consider that Russians regularly participated in black markets.

Soviet era black markets weren't ran with money, it was ran by connections with the right people and quid-pro-quos which left people awfully unprepared to deal with a system where private ownership and monetary exchanges were meaningful and prices adjusted

quote:

Or that a people indoctrinated in Marxist theory, an ideology rooted in its criticism of capitalism & markets, wouldn't understand how markets are supposed to work.
Judging by this thread apparently not :agesilaus:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Jack of Hearts posted:

Do you know what a plane is?

I guess you're right, horseshoe theory is kinda retarded.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yeah that's what i thought. so a market is any exchange of goods or services according to the uselessly broad definitions you linked. your argument, then, is that in the ussr no exchanges of any kind ever took place. that's some incredible ancap poo poo right there

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

I guess you're right, horseshoe theory is kinda retarded.

It is, but I think the question stands.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

yeah that's what i thought. so a market is any exchange of goods or services according to the uselessly broad definitions you linked. your argument, then, is that in the ussr no exchanges of any kind ever took place. that's some incredible ancap poo poo right there

you didn't actually bother reading the article did you

srsly you should read it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

you didn't actually bother reading the article did you

srsly you should read it

i know what a market is. i'm asking you, specifically, what definition of market you are using for the purposes of your argument. you instead link to a general topic page on wikipedia

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The only practical application for horseshoe theory is as liberal propaganda.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

Soviet era black markets weren't ran with money, it was ran by connections with the right people and quid-pro-quos which left people awfully unprepared to deal with a system where private ownership and monetary exchanges were meaningful and prices adjusted
Judging by this thread apparently not :agesilaus:

quote:

https://www.ucis.pitt.edu/nceeer/1993-900-03-Treml.pdf
Legal state income and transfers to households would be increasingly supplemented by illegal second economy earnings. At the same time patterns of purchases of goods and services through state channels would be increasingly distorted by expanding alternatives available in private or black markets.

The Soviets didn't measure incomes and expenditures in blat, but rubles. A popular way for households to earn supplementary income was to grow and sell flowers for kopeks, not favors.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Soviets didn't measure incomes and expenditures in blat, but rubles. A popular way for households to earn supplementary income was to grow and sell flowers for kopeks, not favors.

You didn't pay for things in blat you used blat to get access to the opportunity to buy them because the economy was in a state of perpetual shortage

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You didn't pay for things in blat you used blat to get access to the opportunity to buy them because the economy was in a state of perpetual shortage

Yes, and things on the black market were also bought with money.

The argument here is that the Russians couldn't understand markets because they acquired goods through favor trading, which completely ignores the fact that people also paid for goods with the goddamn money.

This is all, basically, an essentializing argument which blames Russians for their own failure of Liberal rule during Yeltsin's administration, which was all being advised by Americans.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 1, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is all, basically, an essentializing argument which blames Russians for their own failure of Liberal rule during Yeltsin's administration, which was all being advised by Americans.

Did the Czechs and Poles get French and German advisers, or what? Serious question. lol if the Russians (and presumably Ukrainians?) were the only ones dumb enough to listen to Friedmanite Americans.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

Did the Czechs and Poles get French and German advisers, or what? Serious question. lol if the Russians (and presumably Ukrainians?) were the only ones dumb enough to listen to Friedmanite Americans.

I don't know a ton about the transitions in Czech or Poland, but from what little I do know:

The Czechs found it much easier to transition to a market economy, because being in the dead center of Europe gave them a much better comparative advantage in trade with the West than Russia. The Poles have done relatively better in large part because they retained the Zloty instead of adopting the Euro, which gives them a relative advantage in exports. They also resorted to Keynesian policies after 2008, instead of the austerity pursued by Western Europe, which is why their GDP continued to grow.

Czechoslovakia and Russia both had their own versions of shock doctrine in the early 90s, while the Poles privatized through the distribution of vouchers and the establishment of mutual funds. In Czechoslovakia, particular people had a better idea of which industries would become more profitable after privatization, while the majority of people resorted to selling their vouchers to Investment Privatization Funds, which were controlled by banks, the government, or a few enterprising individuals. The Czechs intended for there to be a broad distribution of ownership, which "natural selection" would eventually whittle down to the best performing capital actors. Instead, the economy ended up being owned by the interests which controlled the IPFs.

Russia's voucher privatization was even worse. Because people in Russia were poorer, they immediately sold their vouchers so that they could eat. As a result, the economy ended up being bought up by a tiny minority of former party apparatchiks, foreign speculators, and the Russian Mafia. Eventually the Mafia strong-armed the foreigners out of the most profitable industries like liquor, and the economy fell under the control of gangsterism by the Chubais-Yeltsin clique. The majority of the Russian population ended up having their savings wiped out, while former state industries were bought up by a tiny group of oligarch thugs. Failing industries were cannibalized, and millions of people lost their jobs. Those who didn't starve to death, drank themselves into an early grave, and the lack of public healthcare which was formerly provided by the SU only compounded the problem.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Why can't you guys make more posts like that instead of going "lol" and "smdh" all the time like a bunch of retarded teenage girls giggling at the cool communists table

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Saurus posted:

Why can't you guys make more posts like that instead of going "lol" and "smdh" all the time like a bunch of retarded teenage girls giggling at the cool communists table

when there aren't smug moron driveby posts and people are genuinely interested in what we have to say we DO make posts like that

addendum: lol, and smdh as well.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Saurus posted:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The Saurus posted:

*misrepresents someone's position every time they make a coherent argument*

*gets mad when they stop making meaningful posts*

:troll: :troll: :troll: communists amirite? :troll: :troll: :troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

horseshoe theory? id like to propose something called duality theory: the spectrum of political beliefs are actually all the same and bad, excluding mine, which is different and good

just a warning, if you try to argue against me i dont actually have to engage with anything you say, since by definition you are indistinguishable from the worst political position imaginable