Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

*in an extremely squeaky voice* im hawkeye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

Edgar Wright is also being courted for a DCEU project.
I just rewatched Scott Pilgrim the other day and why does Edgar Wright not simply do all the movies. The pace and density and the million little details in it blow me away every time I see it.

I hope he does Suicide Squad 2, actually. Still haven't seen the first one but that dense Edgar Wright energy feels kind of like what the promo material was clumsily trying to go for.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I tried to Snyder a shot. Ya'll forgot the lens flares.

You've done better pics with toys CP.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

For some reason it makes Hawkeye look like a very tiny man.

They all look like they have been photoshopped together, which makes this the most movie poster-accurate 'shop.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That list might be fake, but I'd be fine if Duncan Jones did Man of Steel 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

You've done better pics with toys CP.

Yeah probably. I do have some Avengers lying around somewhere. Maybe I could fully snyder-ize that where I could compose it as he would because there's no way Snyder would ever compose a shot that looks like that.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Equeen posted:

I'm just gonna shamelessly plug Hbomberguy here since he shares your confusion. It's also a good video on action scenes in movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-5ydxW_WE

So the problem with the cinematography in all Marvel movies isn't the cinematographers but the producers and executives? :psyduck:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Bedshaped posted:

So the problem with the cinematography in all Marvel movies isn't the cinematographers but the producers and executives? :psyduck:

If you have 8 hours to do four shots, that's a Hell of a lot better than if you have 8 hours to do eight shots.

Guess who wields inordinate control over the shooting schedule?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Bedshaped posted:

Snyder shoots on film and uses a single camera. This takes time and money.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What percentage of the film development cycle is usually devoted to actual production? I was under the impression that it's nothing close to the time spent in dev, pre and post.

If it's as short as I would expect, I can't imagine the Marvel producers with infinity billion dollars from Disney and guaranteed free money on release from the Marvel sticker are going to restrain the production stage like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bedshaped posted:

What percentage of the film development cycle is usually devoted to actual production? I was under the impression that it's nothing close to the time spent in dev, pre and post.

If it's as short as I would expect, I can't imagine the Marvel producers with infinity billion dollars from Disney and guaranteed free money on release from the Marvel sticker are going to restrain the production stage like that.

Depends on the movie. Lots of movies are "finished" almost a year before they actually hit theaters and they are technically still being edited or changed a month before they release, but the bulk of the post work is done in the initial 3 or 4 months after filming and it just gets continually tweaked a little bit for the following 6 months.

Typically with a big action blockbuster pre-production is 3-9 months (although this can be like post, where 90% of the work is done in the first 3 months and then gradually for the next 3 to 6), principle photography is 4-8 months, post (including reshoots) is usually 3-6 months.

Although it really varies wildly based on the movie, budget, studio, etc.

Deadpool had just over 2 months of principle filming. Civil War was about 6 months.

BvS was "finished", but technically still in post, almost a full year before the theatrical release.

Pre-production for BvS and Civil War both started in mid-2014.

It's really hard to say there is a standard.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 2, 2016

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

It probably doesn't help that Marvel prefers directors who are used to a faster paced TV schedule and are used to conforming to a house style.

Snyder comes from music videos and commercials, where the storytelling is done as vignettes that rely on visuals and editing to tell the story without a script.
Treating his scripts as song lyrics that thematically, but not necessarily literally, support his visual storytelling, makes his his films more interesting to watch for me.

EDIT:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BvS was "finished", but technically still in post, almost a full year before the theatrical release.
I worked in VFX on BvS, and we delivered everything in November 2015, I think, and then did the Extended Cut stuff until the end of January 2016.

This is pretty rare though - we usually deliver the last finaled shot about a month before a movie is released, maybe a few weeks earlier if another studio is doing 3D conversion.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 2, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

As much as I love the MCU, I can play the Bad Avengers Shot of the Day, too.

This shot is bad, it makes no sense and I don't get it. It stands out so much when cut to everything else.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

This shot is bad, it makes no sense and I don't get it. It stands out so much when cut to everything else.

Why are they sideways??? :psyduck:
Are they actually sideways in the movie or did you just rotate the image?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's ... not Chris Hemsworth, is it?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I am more critical of the MCU but I mean I still love it otherwise I wouldn't be hanging out in the comic book movie thread constantly. But I loved CW and the Cap movies, 2 out of 3 Iron Men, Ant-Man, Guardians, looking forward to Dr. Strange.

But man oh man AoU is a turd. I will even give the original Avengers a pass because it mostly plays to Whedon's strengths (dudes standing in room quipping at each other) for the bulk of the movie but Ultron is him stepping outside his comfort zone and it shows so hard. Cripes man, it is grim.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

AoU is awful but I think it's worth a watch just for Spader.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just watch a Best of Ultron highlight reel if that's all you're after.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Just watch a Best of Ultron highlight reel if that's all you're after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM ?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

James Spader is the only reason to watch The Blacklist too. That's some James Spader doing some serious James Spader. Unfortunately it dips in quality whenever he's not on screen.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Spaders done enough poo poo that you have a wealth of non-aou options if you want to spader up, imo

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

Why are they sideways??? :psyduck:
Are they actually sideways in the movie or did you just rotate the image?

Random sideways is just how Whedon likes it sometimes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It happens in Buffy a lot too.

People give Whedon a lot of poo poo, not all of it deserved, but he does really have a distinct bunch of "Whedon-isms" for better or worse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm no cinematographer, but I think a following shot of that Frankensteiner would require them to pull back to show Black Widow, the thug, and the thug rolling forward onto the floor, which would probably make everyone look less competent (i.e. Black Widow is more obviously a stuntwoman). Plus a wide shot like that would be dangerously close to filming a competent martial arts action scene.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It happens in Buffy a lot too.

People give Whedon a lot of poo poo, not all of it deserved, but he does really have a distinct bunch of "Whedon-isms" for better or worse.
I've watched an enjoyed a lot of Buffy but the fight scenes in Buffy were what made me trepidatious about him directing a big budget action film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've watched an enjoyed a lot of Buffy but the fight scenes in Buffy were what made me trepidatious about him directing a big budget action film.

It wasn't even much of Buffy or Angel that gave me that hesitation (since he only directed like two dozen of each shows' episodes), but after Serenity was so unspeakably hideously shot, I thought, "Great, if that's the best he can do with an actual budget instead of the shoestring that Buffy had..."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man, I sure am glad I don't see what's so bad about Avengers and Avengers 2. Must be maddening!

Electromax posted:

Random sideways is just how Whedon likes it sometimes.

I watched that video the other day saying this was one of the worst action scenes ever filmed. To me it looks totally fine, but to others it's the anti-christ. I mean yeah I guess it's weird that its sideways but I just plain never noticed or cared. It's like 1 second.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man, I sure am glad I don't see what's so bad about Avengers and Avengers 2.

The Avengers annoys me because it's really, really poorly shot and directed (the blocking of the actors in particular is hilariously poor) and the ~BIGGEST SUPERHERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME~ somehow manages to open up with an incredibly bland, never-ending action sequence. The less said about Cap's costume, the better.

With Age of Ultron, the issue is that despite some legitimate improvement on Whedon's part as a director, the script is an absolute mess and it feels like he had to take four-plus hours of story and cram all of it into two and a half hours, and at no point during the script revision stage did someone say, "Hey, maybe we need to cut some poo poo out, this movie's got way too much going on." It also suffers a bit from Iron Man 2 syndrome, in that too much time is spent on sequences that go absolutely nowhere and serve no function whatsoever except to say, "Hey? See this? Check out the next movie, because it's going to be really cool!" It's a much better-looking movie than The Avengers, but that's about all it has going for it, especially in the way it turns Iron Man 3 into A Very (Un)Important After-School Special.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Man, I sure am glad I don't see what's so bad about Avengers and Avengers 2. Must be maddening!

It's cool to know stuff

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Man, I sure am glad I don't see what's so bad about Avengers and Avengers 2.

Actually, you very obviously do see - that the camera is sideways, and so-on.

What you're saying is that you are indifferent to the quality of the fight scenes. And that's a whole other kettle of fish right there. (Effectively: 'they're good because I fell asleep'.)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, you very obviously do see - that the camera is sideways, and so-on.

What you're saying is that you are indifferent to the quality of the fight scenes. And that's a whole other kettle of fish right there. (Effectively: 'they're good because I fell asleep'.)

I mean, you're not wrong. It's just that when you type "Worst Action Scene Ever" into Youtube you get way worse scenes than anything in Avengers 1 and/or 2. Why is it particularly noticeable in these movies? Are there other popular action movies are similarly criticized?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The most amazing thing about Avengers to me is just how chopping off the top and bottom of the screen make 99% of it look better. Not necessarily great, but significantly better than it is.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

It's just that when you type "Worst Action Scene Ever" into Youtube you get way worse scenes than anything in Avengers 1 and/or 2.

This is an astonishingly stupid metric.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GonSmithe posted:

This is an astonishingly stupid metric.

Sorry, I was referencing

Equeen posted:

I'm just gonna shamelessly plug Hbomberguy here since he shares your confusion. It's also a good video on action scenes in movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch-5ydxW_WE

Where he refers to that Black Widow scene as one of the worst ever made.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sorry, I was referencing

Would you prefer worst action scene in a supposedly credible action movie? It might not be literal 'worst action scene', but it's pretty god drat loving bad. That's what hyperbole is, a tool to make a point. (edit: Rewatching he even pointed that out in the video for commenters like you who get hung up on certain phrases at 5:00). Action scenes have all sorts of ways to be well communicated and look good. The Black Widow scene basically did none of them, and flubbed basic shots.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 3, 2016

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just watched X-Men Apocalypse. Thought it was just a forgettable superhero movie, but have they released any info on the next mainline X-Men flick? As I understand it, each installment beginning with First Class takes place in chosen decade, so next up is 90s. Now, 90s X-men is my jam but I don't have a whole lot of hope for this one. Have they said if Marvel Studios will have any role at in producing it? I just want a good mainline X-men movie. Deadpool was the closest thing I got, really.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sorry, I was referencing

Did you see later when he writes that he hopes people understand hyperbole?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just watched X-Men Apocalypse. Thought it was just a forgettable superhero movie, but have they released any info on the next mainline X-Men flick? As I understand it, each installment beginning with First Class takes place in chosen decade, so next up is 90s. Now, 90s X-men is my jam but I don't have a whole lot of hope for this one. Have they said if Marvel Studios will have any role at in producing it? I just want a good mainline X-men movie. Deadpool was the closest thing I got, really.

Singer has said he won't be directing, but Kinberg will be writing it solo again (as he did with Apocalypse). Kinberg has said that the post-credits scene was his way of saying that Sinister is the villain he intends to use next (and also that he might re-visit Dark Phoenix since he's already going to be using Sinister).

And, no, Marvel Studios won't have any involvement. The relationship between Fox and Marvel, especially over the X-Men property, isn't exactly a warm and friendly one at the moment.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 3, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Marvel has no direct role (they did some small consulting on Deadpool and gave notes to Sony about ASM2 that were ignored) at all in any non-MCU movie except for the new Spider-Man. Word is that Marvel is in the driver's seat for homecoming, but no clear direction on how much control Sony will let them have on Spider-Man going forward.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I liked them both well enough myself. Then again, I really likes Man of Steel. I guess I am shallow and enjoy movies the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They kill people so I'd think you would.

• Locked thread