Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Allen Wren posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352 <---retro-pc thread but to be completely honest it sounds broken as gently caress. some people in that thread or this thread might have different opinions.

Nah, that's what I'm thinking, too. Especially the greenish color (sounds like one of the color guns is probably stuck on), the black bars, and everything else. Also, it's undoubtedly going to have a 4:3 aspect ratio, and everything I can find about it suggests it might top out at a resolution of 1024x768; if Squeegy's laptop doesn't support any of the 4:3 resolutions below that, then it's probably not going to work very well mode-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, my friend's assessment was also that an electron gun might be hosed, but my dad thought it was probably an issue with the controllers if it's not the drivers because when the electron gun fails it's generally more total than what I'm seeing. Thanks for the help!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Like a year ago the Game Grumps played the multiplayer courses for Kirby's Dream Course and lamented that there were only four courses to choose from. Fans took it to heart and dug up a course editing tool and have put together a romhack with over 150 holes.

Reddit thread with a link to the patch: https://www.reddit.com/r/KDCGameGrumps/comments/50kndy/grumps_dream_course_10_is_here_get_the_patch/

It uses the Japanese rom as the base. So now, ironically I have to dig up a copy of that despite my cartridge of the game being the Japanese release.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's very cool, but it does make me want to check my monitor cables and your camera's white balance.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
bone voyage

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That Phalanx cover. Every time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did Dr. Franken come out on the Game Boy? I think there was going to be a NES version that got canceled so maybe that was reworked into the GB then the SNES version goes hog wild with big cartoony graphics.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
For those two don't read the 3DS thread... two more retro compilations have been announced for Japan:

-Sega 3D Classics 3: FINAL STAGE, the third and last compilation of Sega stereo-3D remasters by M2. This one will include the five standalone titles that aren't on either of the previous compilations - Sonic 2, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Afterburner 2 and Super Hang-On - plus a few new conversions, one of which has already been confirmed (Turbo Outrun!): http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/30114287.html

-Kunio-kun Complete Famicom Collection: exactly what it says, a collection of all 11 Famicom Kunio-kun games - these include the titles released overseas as Renegade, River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Nintendo World Cup and Crash 'n The Boys: Street Challenge plus a bunch more that were never localised: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/31114490.html

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Kunio-kun Complete Famicom Collection: exactly what it says, a collection of all 11 Famicom Kunio-kun games - these include the titles released overseas as Renegade, River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Nintendo World Cup and Crash 'n The Boys: Street Challenge plus a bunch more that were never localised: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/31114490.html

If these are emulated instead of recreated, we're probably still not going to get them. :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

quote:

Alleged 'would-be' IS fighter likened death in conflict to Super Mario shortcut, court told

A Melbourne man accused of trying to flee Australia by boat to fight for Islamic State said dying and going to paradise would be like taking a shortcut in a Super Mario video game, a court has heard.

Paul Dacre, 31, has been denied bail after police told the Melbourne Magistrates Court they held grave concerns he would commit a terrorist attack if released.

The Epping man is one of five accused of towing a boat from Melbourne to far north Queensland in May with the intent of sailing overseas to fight with the Islamic State group.

They are each charged with making preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities.

Dacre a 'grave threat', court told

Federal agent Jake Samson told the court police now believed the group was planning to travel to the southern Philippines to fight with militant groups aligned with Islamic State.

He said police had covertly recorded Dacre telling a friend he was intent on travelling to a conflict zone, likening it to advancing in a video game.

"We should be over there fighting. If we die ... that is like an instant ticket to paradise," he allegedly said.

"It's a shortcut ... it's like in Mario there's a thing you can get a whistle and you can go to another area immediately, it's like that."
In an affidavit tendered to the court, agent Samson said Dacre posed a grave threat to the community.

"It is likely the applicant considers that he is under an obligation in accordance with his extremist ideology, to commit acts of terrorism or violence within the Australian community," he said.

"The desire to travel to a conflict zone ... further indicates that the applicant is willing to put his life at risk for his extremist beliefs."

But defence lawyer Charlie Atlas told the court Dacre no longer held extremist views, if he ever did.

"The police in this case are embellishing," he said.

"He's needed at home for his own family, he's not a danger."

But the magistrate found Dacre's case did not constitute exceptional circumstances and denied his application for bail.

He was sent back to protective custody and will return to court later this month.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-01/man-charged-over-alleged-boat-escape-plot-refused-bail/7806762

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You're not doing enough Australia, clearly Mario games need to be banned as well.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I already own the first 10 (The last one is really expensive) But I would buy it in a heartbeat if it got released in Aus/EU. (it'll never happen of course)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'm more surprised that he's from a half-decent suburb like Epping. The crazy motherfuckers usually come from Geelong or Sunshine.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/dw__/status/771260161369382912

I see something like this on my timeline every month :ohdear:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Bit of a random question, but does anyone have any idea how much Out Run (as in the arcade machine) would have cost to purchase on release? The normal upright version, rather than the sitdown.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I can't find anything about the prices then, but probably a couple thousand dollars if it was like most.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

And people wonder why the hoarding mentality exists in this community. This is why people buy every N64 they come across at garage sales/thrift shops since they'll just wind up on the street. That Gamecube has clearly seen some poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Dreamcast I have was left in it's box on top of a trashcan outside of Gamestop. I gave it a good home and whenever it goes up again, it will be able to play games again (laser seems to not work).

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Elliotw2 posted:

I can't find anything about the prices then, but probably a couple thousand dollars if it was like most.

Yeah, I can't find anything anywhere either. The closest I've got to an actual figure is £10,000 for the sitdown, but even that's not verified. Subtract the car body, feedback motor and bigger monitor and it's probably something like half that for the standard upright, maybe.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

They hit their period.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squeegy posted:

This might be the appropriate thread for this. I have just acquired a CTX CVP-5468NI, manufactured December 1992, off the side of the road. It's in perfect condition, except when I plug it into my Win8 laptop and boot it up the screen is all hosed up (and extremely green, despite it being an RGB monitor) and there are black bars on either side of the picture. After fiddling with it for a bit, I determined that by setting the contrast down, I can get it to display a legible (but duplicated, and juxtaposed onto itself) picture of my desktop. However, after being on for a while the picture starts to get messed up, beginning at the top of the screen as it slides leftward until the whole picture smears into a static-y, horizontally vibrating mess. If I set the contrast lower, it will reverse this process and I can get the picture back, but only for a little while until the process occurs again, and eventually I run out of room on the contrast knob and it just goes black (weirdly enough, I can get flashes of picture when I'm moving the contrast knob near the end, but not when I let go of it, it goes back to black).

I downloaded a driver off the Internet which consists of an ICC profile and an INF driver. I applied the ICC profile to the monitor in my display settings, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. I installed the INF file, but it also doesn't appear to have done anything and I can't find it in the driver list if I try to update the display driver for the monitor. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it/how I could fix it or should I see myself out to SH/SC?

Your absolute best case scenario with this is that the VGA cable is hosed, and a replacement would fix that problem (if you can even replace it, since a lot of monitors this old have it permanently attached). But it's most likely just completely hosed, because it's a 24 year old CRT dumped on the side of the road.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

MrLonghair posted:

Don't they know that they should secure their garbage cans to keep out wild game consoles?

At my old apartment, the idiots next door never put lids on their trash, and a big Neo Geo would fight with their cats and knock over the garbage EVERY drat NIGHT during the summer.

I actually started feeding it so it'd stay out of the trash, and it would leave huge Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer cartridges on the porch.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I'm thinking of getting rid of our ancient TV to replace with a slick HDTV. Problem is I'm also thinking of getting into retro-gaming.

Is the Retron 5 worth it or should I just hold onto an old TV to play Chrono-Trigger on?

I hope the answer isn't 'Go read the OP you jerk'

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

MrLonghair posted:

They look like transient heroin addicts :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MrSlam posted:

I'm thinking of getting rid of our ancient TV to replace with a slick HDTV. Problem is I'm also thinking of getting into retro-gaming.

Is the Retron 5 worth it or should I just hold onto an old TV to play Chrono-Trigger on?

Do you have a laptop made in the last 10 years with an HDMI out? If so then you have the best machine to play pretty much everything pre-2000.

If starting out from absolute scratch then I can't recommend the Retron 5 considering its entire appeal is marketing to people with already established collections.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The only thing the retron 5 really has going for it is that it can load translation patches on the fly for famicom or super famicom games.

so if you want to play chrono trigger on a real cartridge but don't want to pay :retrogames: prices that's an option.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Rirse posted:

The Dreamcast I have was left in it's box on top of a trashcan outside of Gamestop. I gave it a good home and whenever it goes up again, it will be able to play games again (laser seems to not work).

In most parts of the world we would call that littering.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

MrSlam posted:

If you already have carts, I like my retron 5. Otherwise an emulator setup like your laptop or Raspberry Pi are good option. Apparently a hacked PS TV is good too. Wii virtual console is ok as well if you have a Wii

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MrLonghair posted:

What kind of sticks are those, they're beautiful and I want some [they're gonna be like $500 a pop aren't they]

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're the Sigma 8000tb, the included db15 stick for that super gun laying in front of them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MrSlam posted:

Do the cheapest thing that's going to let you play games. If you end up liking it more than just a fad, slowly upgrade. If you get the retron, you can start playing right away, you can build up a cart collection, and you can use original controllers. Many people in this thread are hardline against it for purity reasons, but don't let that stop you from playing games. The retron 5 seems like a great way to get going quickly.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MrSlam posted:

1) Try a computer/latop/modded Wii/whatever on your HDTV and see if you enjoy the experience. If you do not enjoy it and need it to be more authentic, move on to step two:

2) buy your favorite console. I personally would not get a Retron 5 because then I feel like I might as well just bother with a computer/latop/modded Wii/whatever on my HDTV. I personally enjoy the look of the hardware and the controllers, but most importantly, how accurate they are compared to emulators. When I had a modded Wii I almost never played my retro games. When I got the real systems, I played them a lot more. I am not really sure of the psychological reason for this but I imagine it's similar to people who are more likely to finish a physical book than they are a Kindle e-book. If you are happy with the image quality on your HDTV from the old console(s), move to step 3b. If you are not happy, move to step 3a:

3a) Buy a Framemeister for your HDTV or keep your CRT for retro gaming.

3b) Purchase a flashcart for your favorite console. Cartridges are great and I love the ones I have, but it's an incredibly expensive hobby and it's only getting worse. You might find yourself perfectly happy using just a flashcart with real hardware. I personally do. It was a happy medium for me, plus I am pretty lazy and don't really want to look through a huge catalog of games. It's the same reason I ripped all my DVDs some years ago to a hard drive. Another bonus with flashcarts is you can play unreleased or modified games on the real hardware, which is always cool. In short, what I am saying is that even if you want to collect physical carts, you're probably going to want a flash cart anyway to play the really expensive games or games that were never released here. I personally have a mixture of some carts (my absolute favorites) and flashcarts.

Hope this helps! It is just my opinion but I gave you alternate avenues so you may go with what best suits you.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
oh wow, I just saw the Nintendo 3DS direct and they are putting Mario Maker on the 3DS. That is so perfect because I love that game but it's rare I get to use my WiiU. This will be great!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shame you can't upload poo poo to the level servers with that version. Seems like a really bizarre handicap, regardless of their stated intention of making it more about local experiences.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Hey everybody, thanks for the advice! I was going to quote everyone but that'd be kind of an eyesore.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Shame you can't upload poo poo to the level servers with that version. Seems like a really bizarre handicap, regardless of their stated intention of making it more about local experiences.

Yeah, I don't get it. Globally, you're likely to see some cool levels. It's going to be a very boring game for people in rural areas.

I've been holding out hope for an update that allows you to bundle your levels as "worlds" or even "games" complete with overworld maps.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what? The 3DS version isn't going to have downloadable levels from other users??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait what? The 3DS version isn't going to have downloadable levels from other users??

Local sharing/streetpass only.

Yeah....

• Locked thread