Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's pretty good but Pan is still Toriyama's greatest wordplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Rose is just ssb y'all are thinking too hard again

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

RBX posted:

y'all are thinking too hard again

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

The Joy of Painting was fun to watch, but the real treat was to see the twitch chat playing along and treating the whole thing as a video game being played.

this was my favorite channel on twitch ever, I loved everyone calling out RUINED and SAVED and flipping out when he would just wave his scraper and a mountain would appear. the chat would explode whenever he did the brush-slapping thing and everyone's favorite episode was the Knives Only one where he only used the scraper and no brush

I miss it dearly

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Bob Ross was the super saiyan god beerus was looking for

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bob Ross was not a super sayian. No, he did not need such tricks. He only needed his stand "Happy Accidents."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You know, they recently added a paintbrush weapon to Dynasty Warriors. Hmm. Wonder if someone did that already.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwn_UfG2spc

Gazaar fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 1, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually did not realise there was a new series of Dragon Ball until I dropped in on the last page. :aaaaa:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually did not realise there was a new series of Dragon Ball until I dropped in on the last page. :aaaaa:

Jesus, dude.. you've got a lot of homework to do. Start with "Battle of Gods", then "Resurrection of F" and report back. Both should be readily available in English or Japanese.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Jesus, dude.. you've got a lot of homework to do. Start with "Battle of Gods", then "Resurrection of F" and report back. Both should be readily available in English or Japanese.

I'll say just watch Battle of Gods and watch the anime from where it picks off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

New Leaf posted:

Oh, I know about those. I've not watched either of them but know about bits of them (mainly Vegeta singing and dancing at a bingo game from the first one and "SO FREEZA TRAINED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE!" in the second, which is something I especially enjoy); that there's a new series is news to me, though!

Seriously, I was looking at posts there on the last page about "Black Goku" and "Super Saiyan Rose" and I was scratching my head thinking, "Man, I haven't looked at Dragon Ball Multiverse in months!"

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Raxivace posted:

It's pretty good but Pan is still Toriyama's greatest wordplay.

:yeah: It's some master level punning right there

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Pan in the new series or is she non-canon now?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wheat Loaf posted:

She's in the new series but she's just a lil baby. a powerful baby

GT is pretty noncanonical though, these days

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Goku breaks his Ki Bone for an episode and has to help babysit Pan while Gohan and Videl are at an important meeting with a big wig offering Gohan a job. It's the best.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

She calls Piccolo "Piccoyo".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SirKibbles posted:

:yeah: It's some master level punning right there

Is it? I thought it was just a tribute to Piccolo, which is pretty sweet. Or is there more to it?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Pan also means bread, which follows along the Gohan meaning rice, while also goes along with the mythological demon names of videls family.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it? I thought it was just a tribute to Piccolo, which is pretty sweet. Or is there more to it?

Satan is Satan, Videl is an anagram of devil, and Pan is (basically) a satyr.

Gohan means meal or cooked rice, Pan means bread.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

gently caress, I thought of pan = pain = bread just now but that's incredible.

Doesn't Bra have to show up quite soon?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Exercu posted:

Satan is Satan, Videl is an anagram of devil, and Pan is (basically) a satyr.

Gohan means meal or cooked rice, Pan means bread.

I knew about the bread part but I never considered the Videl side of things, nice.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it's a trifecta of food based puns, instrument based puns, and devil based puns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Pan is probably the single best goddamn name pun Toriyama could ever come up with. All of DB was leading to Pan.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kild posted:

instrument based puns

Piccolo is again confirmed as Pan's actual grandpa.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kild posted:

it's a trifecta of food based puns, instrument based puns, and devil based puns.

Yeah, people seem to keep overlooking that the name is also an homage to green dad in that pan flutes are a thing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
We call it a food pun because their names mean something in another language.. but to the Japanese, aren't their names just.. food? Isn't it the equivalent of Gohan's name being Rice in the English version? Or is it a play on the Japanese word for Rice?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

We call it a food pun because their names mean something in another language.. but to the Japanese, aren't their names just.. food? Isn't it the equivalent of Gohan's name being Rice in the English version? Or is it a play on the Japanese word for Rice?

御飯 vs 悟飯

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

get out while you still can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Ftf4nu_p0&t=42s ftfy

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BizarroAzrael posted:

Doesn't Bra have to show up quite soon?

The timeline stopped making sense after Toriyama forgot and retconned the poo poo out of it in Super. Bra might not exist anymore, the only thing that she appears in is the epilogue which Toriyama has, deliberately or otherwise (let's not kid ourselves, it's the latter), made completely inconsistent with the show.

And it's Toriyama, so he probably forgot about Bra too. Not like there's a lot of reason to remember her, but hey, she's playable in Fusions and even gets a fusion with Pan.

"Female Warrior With the Strongest Genes", Brapan. She's even shooting her (half-)dad's signature move!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Bra, I find it weird what happens in DBM regarding alt-Bra and her parentage. Vegitto straight up leaves chichi and she's okay with it?

I know its a fan fic but still, so weird.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not at all fluent in Japanese but I'm pretty sure Japanese siblings don't call each other by their full names? So Bra's request doesn't really make sense...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lupus Rufus posted:

maybe Black's dark-purple aura mixed with normal super saiyan yellow aura and made a rose aura?? It probably is something unique to Black by way of whatever physiology allows him to use Goku's body, using goku's super saiyan, and then pushing himself somehow.

Iunno.

All I know is that I love that they made a villain's super mode aura a very flashy pink. Not as an insult/gay joke or for a girl even. He's just bright pink because he is.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Augus posted:

I'm not at all fluent in Japanese but I'm pretty sure Japanese siblings don't call each other by their full names? So Bra's request doesn't really make sense...

Yeah, i'm on the same boat. Admittedly all I know of Japan is basically anime poo poo but I'm pretty sure they don't call each other by the full name, much less last name. If anything she should request Gohan to call her Sister or something?

"Why can't I turn into super saiyan?!" three panels later "I found a way to go super saiyan btw"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

From all my anime, it's the younger sibling who never calls the older sibling by name ((o)nii/nee + honorific of choice mostly), but that's not backwards. It doesn't really matter for this, anyways, because it isn't Japanese-made and this is unimportant in comparison of how terrible Bra normally is.

Also "WAAAAH I'M NOT AS STRONG" then transforms is basically the absolute proof Bra is Vegeta's daughter, fusion or not. But this was a terrible lead to that, and a backstory arc about Bra is...yeah, I have no idea why I keep reading Multiverse.

Crabtree posted:

All I know is that I love that they made a villain's super mode aura a very flashy pink. Not as an insult/gay joke or for a girl even. He's just bright pink because he is.

Pink definitely does not have the same meaning in Japan than it does in the west. It's the colour for fallen warriors or something to that extent, I'm not too sure honestly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

The timeline stopped making sense after Toriyama forgot and retconned the poo poo out of it in Super. Bra might not exist anymore, the only thing that she appears in is the epilogue which Toriyama has, deliberately or otherwise (let's not kid ourselves, it's the latter), made completely inconsistent with the show.

What specifically was the inconsistencies? I can barely remember to epilogue.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BizarroAzrael posted:

What specifically was the inconsistencies? I can barely remember to epilogue.

Basically, Super erases three years or so from the timeline, causing several events to happen out of order. The most damning of them is that now Pan and Uub were born at around the same time, in fact, Uub was born later. This contradicts the epilogue, since now Pan was born far earlier than she should be. In the epilogue, Pan fights in the children division, Uub in the adult one...but now that doesn't make sense, and in fact, the Tenkaichi Budokai now must happen at some other date to make up for the fact that Gohan left Videl pregnant apparently immediately after graduating from school if that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Basically, Super erases three years or so from the timeline, causing several events to happen out of order. The most damning of them is that now Pan and Uub were born at around the same time, in fact, Uub was born later. This contradicts the epilogue, since now Pan was born far earlier than she should be. In the epilogue, Pan fights in the children division, Uub in the adult one...but now that doesn't make sense, and in fact, the Tenkaichi Budokai now must happen at some other date to make up for the fact that Gohan left Videl pregnant apparently immediately after graduating from school if that.

What if Uub was born a few minutes after Goku blasts Buu? that'd lead to him being about a year older and fits with them being (just barely) in different categories.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Pan is probably the single best goddamn name pun Toriyama could ever come up with. All of DB was leading to Pan.

Of course, you need to have the most powerful pun in the series for her. She is destined for greatness. Trunks learned that the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Bob Ross was Ichibe Hyosube but with power over color instead of just black and white.

• Locked thread