Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

It's honestly a minor miracle they look as good as they do considering they have less time and less money than the movies do. BvS probably cost what, three times as much as the entire first season of legends?

It occurred to me when reading this that I have no idea how budgets for TV shows work. Your estimate seems high since BvS was made for 250 million, but a third of that would put the per episode cost of LoT at 5 million? Which could be right (or at least close)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

It occurred to me when reading this that I have no idea how budgets for TV shows work. Your estimate seems high since BvS was made for 250 million, but a third of that would put the per episode cost of LoT at 5 million? Which could be right (or at least close)?

There is no way that LoT has a 5mil per episode budget.

Supergirl had 3mil an ep on the biggest network.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy A. Person posted:

I forgot BvS cost that much :downs: An episode of Legends is ballpark between 1-3 million dollars. Probably closer to a million considering they're on the CW.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
A few stories talked about how it's budget kind of skyrocketed. I assume for stuff like that to be written about your looking at the 2.5 million an episode range. Which would put it far over arrow and Flash.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I assumed it was at least 18 billion an episode on the basis that if you are going to make up numbers from whole cloth they might as well be big numbers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder which members of the cast come with the highest price tag?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder which members of the cast come with the highest price tag?

I would have to assume Arthur Darvill, Brandon Routh, or Victor Garber.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Essentially any number put out by Hollywood on anything is 110% horseshit

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Essentially any number put out by Hollywood on anything is 110% horseshit

^^^ I was on a project once for a Fortune 100 Hollywood owned company. It had a $20MM advertising budget. 18MM of it was for a magazine owned by the parent company.

"Well Magazine X isn't reaching it's numbers this week, better move 8 figures from column ZX to column B" "Yay it's profitable!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hughlander posted:

^^^ I was on a project once for a Fortune 100 Hollywood owned company. It had a $20MM advertising budget. 18MM of it was for a magazine owned by the parent company.

"Well Magazine X isn't reaching it's numbers this week, better move 8 figures from column ZX to column B" "Yay it's profitable!"

This is pretty much standard operating procedure for all of Hollywood. 2 Million actually spent, 20 million charged to the production so that nothing ever makes money on paper, thus no paying for those pesky backend points.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wanted to believe when they said they learned their mistakes from S1

https://mobile.twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/765684462449332224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looks like shenanigans in feudal Japan. I like shenanigans. I assume that has to do with the Soultaker sword or something

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I thought the most important lesson Heroes imparted upon the world was that you don't do half-assed takes on feudal Japan because it makes for intolerable loving television.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Things we learned from Heroes:

1) Stephen Tobolowsky is fallible, but still deserves your respect.
2)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the first day, Mohinder closed the door and no one ever got to know how god created the world.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Looks like shenanigans in feudal Japan. I like shenanigans. I assume that has to do with the Soultaker sword or something

Yeah that part of the show is awesome. Them hanging out in the 1950s and having dumb romance subplots while chasing the boringest villain ever were S1's flaws, not cheesy time travel antics, which are the entire reason for the show's existence.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wanted to believe when they said they learned their mistakes from S1

https://mobile.twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/765684462449332224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

not seeing the problem here

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posting again...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am upset that DC's terror of even mentioning anything Green Lantern related means that in the JSA we won't get Alan Scott in this season.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chokes McGee posted:

not seeing the problem here

I see they're following the Heroes book of plotting.

S2 = whacky samurai adventures.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I see they're following the Heroes book of plotting.

S2 = whacky samurai adventures.

Only no David Anders since he's on iZombie so it'll suck.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Are you suggesting Heroes did not suck when David Anders was on

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

It still sucked, just a bit less.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

No just that David Anders needs to be recognized as a natural treasure and I dream of an alt reality where he played on HIMYM (that only lasted two seasons and didn't wear out its welcome)

He should be the US Roger Cross.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hughlander posted:

No just that David Anders needs to be recognized as a natural treasure and I dream of an alt reality where he played on HIMYM (that only lasted two seasons and didn't wear out its welcome)

He speaks truth. Watch the Zombie/Vampire movie The Revenant to see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFLKO--pbqI

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I am upset that DC's terror of even mentioning anything Green Lantern related means that in the JSA we won't get Alan Scott in this season.

Did the movie really burn them that badly? Have I severely underestimated how big a blow for them that was all this time? I mean, I thought it was just an underperformer but it sounds like it was Fantastic Four 2015.

Hughlander posted:

Much like Alexis Denisof, I'm so used to David Anders doing a British accent that it's really weird to hear him talk in his natural one. :D

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
people who look at wacky RL time shenanigan comic book characters and go "hmm not on my time travel show" may be missing the point, I feel

just a lukewarm take on my part

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWbxmljjxQ

Lookin forward to more adventures of Sara Lance: Time Lesbian

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scyantific posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWbxmljjxQ

Lookin forward to more adventures of Sara Lance: Time Lesbian

I also enjoy seeing the characters in period outfits, even if they're usually not 100% accurate. But yes, looks like fun.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Star Girl briefly appears in that. Blink and you'll miss it.

Looks fun.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Looks like we get more G-Men suits. YES!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

Lookin forward to more adventures of Captain Lance: Time Lesbian

ftfy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Why isn't that a thing? It definitely needs to be a thing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King Burgundy posted:

Star Girl briefly appears in that. Blink and you'll miss it.

Looks fun.

I mean, it was quick but I'm not sure how you can miss that outfit.

I also briefly spotted Reverse Flash or someone wearing the yellow suit.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, it was quick but I'm not sure how you can miss that outfit.

I also briefly spotted Reverse Flash or someone wearing the yellow suit.

That is Matt Letscher reprising his role as Eobard Thawne. :flash:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Four Score posted:

That is Matt Letscher reprising his role as Eobard Thawne. :flash:

I have no problem with this, he did a great job each time he's appeared and it means we get yet another version of Harrison/Harry this year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think Letscher's Thawne is as good as uhhh... whatever the guy who plays Wells is named, but I'd love to see more of him so he has a chance to put a distinct take on the character.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think Letscher's Thawne is as good as uhhh... whatever the guy who plays Wells is named, but I'd love to see more of him so he has a chance to put a distinct take on the character.

how dare you forget Tom Cavanagh, whom the only other role I can associate with is JD's brother on Scrubs

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Four Score posted:

how dare you forget Tom Cavanagh, whom the only other role I can associate with is JD's brother on Scrubs

It was so god damned weird going from watching Flash to rewatching Scrubs on Netflix and seeing him there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Four Score posted:

Also the titular Ed from Ed.

• Locked thread