Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Chapter's out on Mangastream.

Marry me, Kuga-senpai :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Do it Soma! Become the bear.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I swear if this arc doesn't lead to Dojima wrestling a bear I'm going to be so disappointed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I must become the bear.

Honestly hope they set it up so that Hayama doesn't turn out to be a fucken Bear Master or some poo poo because obviously it would be dumb if he lost to a dude who knows fucken nothing about bear meat just because he took a walk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

I must become the bear.

Honestly hope they set it up so that Hayama doesn't turn out to be a fucken Bear Master or some poo poo because obviously it would be dumb if he lost to a dude who knows fucken nothing about bear meat just because he took a walk.

They told you from the start that Hayama was going to lose because while he would deliver a perfectly seasoned dish, Souma was going to give the judges a dish that actually showcases the full range of bear meat.

Especially after he meets a British adventurer in the mountains who gives him insight into the ways of the bear.

Edit:
This would be an interesting solution for an unexpected way to prepare the meat though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJ-Ps8LAmo

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 1, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eleeleth posted:

I swear if this arc doesn't lead to Dojima wrestling a bear I'm going to be so disappointed.

You all know this is exactly what's going to happen when he tastes Soma's dish. And it's going to rule hard.

I'm excited for the match. I bet it's going to be good.

Angry Grimace posted:

I must become the bear.

Why would you think he's going to be a Bear Master? He's probably more knowledgeable than Soma, but I don't think they're going to move his specialty away from spices just for this one match.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Doujima's gonna take another trip to Yukihee Land and its new bear themed ride.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I look forward to seeing the great personal realizations that come from Soma's vision quest into the mountains with his midget spirit guide.

And how badly Hayama is destroyed for it :getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xelkelvos posted:

Doujima's gonna take another trip to Yukihee Land and its new bear themed ride.

Every time I read the word Yukihee land, I can't help but think about a Soma Jack Frost demon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gyges posted:

They told you from the start that Hayama was going to lose because while he would deliver a perfectly seasoned dish, Souma was going to give the judges a dish that actually showcases the full range of bear meat.

Especially after he meets a British adventurer in the mountains who gives him insight into the ways of the bear.

Edit:
This would be an interesting solution for an unexpected way to prepare the meat though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJ-Ps8LAmo

Bear tallow nabe then, I guess.

I am drooling after watching that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This manga can handle callbacks and subtle details really well for how goofy it is. Bottom panels are 8 chapters after the top.

There really is a lot of care put into it, I think that's one of the things I like most.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 2, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang! Her snobby voice as Erina was what made me like the character before the current arc. Also, she's the bomb as Saki in From the New World. Here's hoping it's something relatively minor that she's getting treatment for. :)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wark Say posted:

Dang! Her snobby voice as Erina was what made me like the character before the current arc. Also, she's the bomb as Saki in From the New World. Here's hoping it's something relatively minor that she's getting treatment for. :)

I'm sorry, it's the common cold, which is fatal in Japan.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, you would never know with how vague that article is. Could be tuberculosis, for all we know.

And if it's tied to the short second season, (which we still don't know why) must be one hell of a cold if she's taking a hiatus on her work to recover.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, you would never know with how vague that article is. Could be tuberculosis, for all we know.

And if it's tied to the short second season, (which we still don't know why) must be one hell of a cold if she's taking a hiatus on her work to recover.

It could be like that other VA who turned out to have pneumonia (and then died) iirc.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It could be like that other VA who turned out to have pneumonia (and then died) iirc.

Good chance it's a Miyu Matsuki situation unfortunately, yeah. :( Especially since she just thanked all her friends and family on twitter like a day ago.

Also, I will never understand what people have against the Eizan fight, it gets poo poo on a lot and it was one of the highlights of the manga for me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RIP Miyu Matsuki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Haikyuu's getting a 1 cour 3rd season as well, and MHA had a 13 episode season too. They probably just want to have regular seasons while still making sure they don't overtake the manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am very glad that the anime industry has learned the concept of seasons. pacing is good, filler is bad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If that's what it finally is, then fine, but on the off chance it isn't, having a main character's VA be out for whatever reason sucks.

edit: Altering my prediction: Bear tallow nabe... after getting the judges utterly soused.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 3, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also, I will never understand what people have against the Eizan fight, it gets poo poo on a lot and it was one of the highlights of the manga for me.

It's one of the highlights for me too. You see exactly how much talent Eizan has so his Elite Ten position is justified (granted, I never believed what some people thought that he was actually gonna suck at cooking in the first place), but he still loses because of reasons I find to be actually believable (or believable enough for a manga like this). And I'm now hoping for a Shokugeki where both go all out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Eizan fight had one too many "you still haven't tasted the true form of my dish!" moments for my liking, and I thought the polar star guys could've been involved more because it was for the whole dorm. On the other hand it had some of the best faces in manga history and made Eizan into one of my favourite characters, and I genuinely liked the story of Soma's dish being made due to experimentation with the rest of the dorm. Which made it completely opposite to Central's beliefs and gave the good guys an ideological victory as well, even if the actual meal wasn't super impressive.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I honestly can't wait to see those faces in the anime.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And then have Tomokazu Sugita ham it up! :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Soma might be one of the nicest people on the planet but he is loving unparalleled at messing with stuck-up, haughty people.

I can completely believe him pissing Hayama off enough that "be my footstool for life" is an acceptable chip up for wager against "unlimited freedom and wealth".

E: Hayama wins and I'm still mad about it

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 3, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Soma might be one of the nicest people on the planet but he is loving unparalleled at messing with stuck-up, haughty people.

I can completely believe him pissing Hayama off enough that "be my footstool for life" is an acceptable chip up for wager against "unlimited freedom and wealth".

E: Hayama wins and I'm still mad about it

they skipped some of Hayama's backstory too, I think.

The reason Hayama won should've been love. Still, the headmaster's speech did reiterate one of the principals of Totsuki that Central removed: Conflict is the method in which rough diamonds are polished. That is, conflict is what they see as the method to drive improvement.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Folt The Bolt posted:

And then have Tomokazu Sugita ham it up! :allears:

It's telling that, despite Sugita being well known for putting really over-the-top, larger-than-life performances as his meat and potatoes (Gintoki, Joseph, Hidenori, Dr. Ver, Hoshi, etcétera), he can do down to earth really well, too.

I think one of the reasons I liked AssClass enough to watch both seasons is that Sugita plays a really, really funny straight-man almost effortlessly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

they skipped some of Hayama's backstory too, I think.

The reason Hayama won should've been love.

Wasn't that basically the reason though?

So is Soma going to win because Hayama lost love, or because Soma found love?

E: Wasn't the extremely deadpan Kyon one of his breakout roles? That's the role I think of most with Sugita.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 3, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't wait for Megumi to win her match by figuring out a way of putting her love for everyone into her food.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hah, I see how Soma's going to get the seat now.

He's going to request from Dojima Shiomi act as a judge (that's never been done but I don't doubt Dojima would allow something like that).

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Eej posted:

Can't wait for Megumi to win her match by figuring out a way of putting her love for everyone into her food.

She goes on to claim first seat but becomes corrupted. Soma and Erina have to team up to save the world(of cooking) from Megumi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blinks77 posted:

She goes on to claim first seat but becomes corrupted. Soma and Erina have to team up to save the world(of cooking) from Megumi.

According to the author she does have some kind of dark side we haven't seen.

She's kind of an outlier in her personality as it is, every other character in the top 8 of the year + the E10 have very strong personalities to them; even Eishi, for all his fussing around, has absolute confidence over what he makes at all times and doesn't seem at all the type to waver in a challenge.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I eagerly await the the rise of DARK DELINQUENT MEGUMI taking over the school.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
She's hunted, cooked and eaten the most dangerous game; long pig

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I eagerly await the the rise of DARK DELINQUENT MEGUMI taking over the school.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/182/3660/1 New chapter, in which we get to see how Hayama and Soma forge lasting bonds with their senpai

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
So I guess he's gonna smoke it? With super special mountain bear wood

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I'm guessing it's Hayama, Hojo (in the ball cap), and an unknown toqued chef as the new Elite Ten members. Also it looks like some rejected character designs got owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who was hojo, again?