Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

lmao jesus christ
That's... some picture there alright. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Poil posted:

That's... some picture there alright. :stare:

:negative:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dude makes some ok vehicles and equipment, and he's done some other buildings better than this. It feels like he rushed to crank out a ton to be the first to make a cash-in. We already have tons of modellers begging for patreon pennies, why do we need this?

I love tossing money at people who consistantly make good stuff on the workshop, I've probably donated more than I paid for the game by now. But this? No thanks, I wouldn't ever subscribe to those buildings. I'd write a comment like "nice clean shapes but the buildings could use a few more details and some roof junk, maybe a bit of weathering on the textures so they don't look like solid-colour tiling" or something like that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Paradox sale includes the DLC, if you hadn't noticed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I might be a huge sperg for this, but $6 for Snowfall still seems like a rip, since snow-only maps just seem like busywork. I wasn't too enthralled on After Dark, but that was more of a "developer support" purchase. With the way Snowfall turned out and that announcement for disaster/mission DLC, dev support feels hard to justify.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just hold your nose and buy it for the trams. I didn't want to buy it to "send them a message" but CO doesn't give a gently caress, just buy those trams and call it a day.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

Dude makes some ok vehicles and equipment, and he's done some other buildings better than this. It feels like he rushed to crank out a ton to be the first to make a cash-in. We already have tons of modellers begging for patreon pennies, why do we need this?

I love tossing money at people who consistantly make good stuff on the workshop, I've probably donated more than I paid for the game by now. But this? No thanks, I wouldn't ever subscribe to those buildings. I'd write a comment like "nice clean shapes but the buildings could use a few more details and some roof junk, maybe a bit of weathering on the textures so they don't look like solid-colour tiling" or something like that.

yeah his workshop stuff is much higher quality than this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Just hold your nose and buy it for the trams. I didn't want to buy it to "send them a message" but CO doesn't give a gently caress, just buy those trams and call it a day.

The other part of the problem is that I can barely make buses/subways efficient. Maybe I should get that down before throwing another tool into the mix :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Avocados posted:

The other part of the problem is that I can barely make buses/subways efficient. Maybe I should get that down before throwing another tool into the mix :v:

If you're not big into transit and trams the snowfall DLC is quite safe to ignore. There's some real cool trams on the workshop though, and once you're using improved public transit mod transit becomes super good and actually fun to set up and manage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trams are my favourite method of public transportation!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Koramei posted:

lmao jesus christ

Lmao the signature is my favorite part. Ah, yes, well respected branded Artiste, Matt Crux. His signature carries a lot of weight these days in the virtual architecture business.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Metrication posted:

apparently he approached paradox

That explains a lot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's hard to pick just one favorite part but if I absolutely must then I have to go with the feather.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Avocados posted:

I might be a huge sperg for this, but $6 for Snowfall still seems like a rip, since snow-only maps just seem like busywork. I wasn't too enthralled on After Dark, but that was more of a "developer support" purchase. With the way Snowfall turned out and that announcement for disaster/mission DLC, dev support feels hard to justify.

It's just $6. Not much money at all, and nothing approaching ripoff territory.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Six bux is like half a drink in Grand City

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Man Musk posted:

Six bux is like half a drink in Grand City

It's also Mushihimesama's (bug princess) sale price this weekend though. This is the $6 dilemma.

Also don't really go to bars anymore, so that's a bonus cheap game I need to obsess over.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So pretty much all of my jobs are offices and industry. I can't get any local shops or corner stores to grow- commercial (low and high density) is a tiny portion of my city's workforce.

I'm using the population consumption and rebalance mod- does it mess demand out?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JVNO posted:

So pretty much all of my jobs are offices and industry. I can't get any local shops or corner stores to grow- commercial (low and high density) is a tiny portion of my city's workforce.

I'm using the population consumption and rebalance mod- does it mess demand out?

you just plain don't have any commercial demand? Something ain't right there. I usually spend the game trying as best to totally ignore the sky-high commercial demand because if you chase it it leads to misery. If you're all office and industry you should have sky-high commercial demand.

But a city without commercial does just fine, there's actually no point to it because cims don't actually need to shop, or go to work, or do anything. Office and residential all day every day with some industry and commercial here and there for looks.

God I wish someone could mod industry/commercial traffic to like 1/10th their current levels, then I'd actually zone the stuff. But nope, you build a few blocks of small warehouses and it's a gridlock of trucks all day every day. You build a little high street of shops and it's vans clogging the area 24/7. Has anyone from CO actually seen an industrial area or shops? Shops generally take deliveries once every few days depending on demand, and usually in the wee hours of the morning or evening. Industry can create a good amount of traffic, but even huge sprawling heavy industry areas don't get jammed with trucks on their local roads. It's all just way too much.

If I could change anything in the game it would be just to reduce all industrial/goods trips by 1/10th and commutes by about 1/2. I just want to be able to see a town of 100,000 people having the traffic levels you'd expect, not 10x those levels to try to force me to build huge highway interchanges.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Industry sucks. It's all huge gently caress-off factories and not warehouses and poo poo.

this is awesome, although I wish they had tier 2 and 3 buildings too

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What I do for industry is make it very spread out and sprawly. Since industrial where I live at least aren't wall to wall warehouses.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Real life industrial buildings are like 20 times larger than even the biggest stock buildings in C:S, and are also surrounded by gigantic parking lots. There are plenty of RICO ploppables on the Workshop of this variety, of course, but yeah the stock growable industry is just really stupid.

It's kinda funny how for all the stuff C:S does with agents and mass transit, SimCity 3000 (much less modded SimCity 4) has a more sensible traffic simulation even though it's all abstracted.

It's also kinda funny how I'm exactly the opposite kind of city sim player from Baronjutter (I just like to paint the map and watch stuff grow, and dislike any sort of micromanagement and don't touch RICO ploppables) yet on a feel level I sense mostly the same issues with C:S that a micromanagement obsessive does.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 2, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
SC4 NAM traffic model suffered from needing to build roads exactly like the NAM developers wanted you to build roads. For all the agent based idiosyncrasies in Skylines, its a lot better about the hierarchy being a guide and not requiring the one true highway to massage path finding just right to keep cars in the correct bucket. There's enough correct ways to design around somewhat realistic limitations to flavor your city very differently from the next.

I kind of like the composite industrial blocks that come together in Skylines. You can get miles better results if you treat them as industrial parks (even if the trees all die) or wholly owned complexes. Creating one big industrial ghetto where the trucks live is easiest on the traffic but also ugliest given the sort of buildings that come default. What you sow in traffic hurdles, you reap in looking better by keeping industrial blocks small and scattered.

The biggest weakness is the civic simulation. Industrial NIMBY is important, but sometimes people have no choice, and sometimes property value doesn't give a gently caress. In Skylines if you put an industrial zone next to a residential zone you've failed. But in real life, several cities are defined by the interaction of industrial areas core to the economy trying to operate next to residential.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Baronjutter posted:

But a city without commercial does just fine, there's actually no point to it because cims don't actually need to shop, or go to work, or do anything. Office and residential all day every day with some industry and commercial here and there for looks.

Not good when I'm building real life cities and the like.

Speaking of which

(Excuse the glitchy waterways between the industrial peninsulas. Click here for real world map location)

You can notice how none of the main roads/arteries have developed, and there's holes in the DT area. Total lack of commercial development. I even tried enabling 'School's Out' to try and drive the education level down and encourage more commercial demand but it's still less than ~10-15% of my jobs.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 3, 2016

Subyng
May 4, 2013
"Lack of commercial development" describes Hamilton pretty well the first time I visited.

Though the city has improved over the years.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I wanted to get rid of the ugly vanilla buildings and start using building themes to make the city more Canadian. But I didn't want to use the 'area delete' from improved bulldozer to delete all buildings- as it would destroy my utilities, RICO buildings, parks, etc.

Solution? Automatic bulldoze mod + drown the entire city for a year.

Worked like a charm :v:

My population has recovered by about half so far, so it'll take another day or two of simming to return to full size (~100k)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope you used poop water like a true chirpie. :v:

Trying something different I went ahead with a new city with all the unlocks... unlocked. Skipping industry for offices and the traffic is amazingly spare with no problems anywhere. But holy poo poo how inefficient offices are workerwise. More than half the city has to be zoned offices or there will be Greek levels of unemployment. As much as I love building overly large industrial areas with tons of trucks everywhere I wasn't prepared for just how more regular car traffic it magically creates as well. Is there some hidden modifier that makes factory workers ignore public transport more or something?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I bought the game at the recent sale, and everything was going great untill parts of town began complaining about lacking power. But I've got a surplus of power and I can't really see what the problem otherwise could be. Can anyone give me a few pointers?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are all your powerplants connect properly to the rest of the city? That view only gives you the total.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 4, 2016

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
It's most likely one or more power plants disconnected from the chain are disconnected.

I really wish this game let you poll the utilities feeding a particular residence, so you could more quickly identify what is or isn't disconnected.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Got it on the sale and it is awesome, but I suck at planning things. Any must have guides/mods/anything worthy of note for a newbie?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Are all your powerplants connect properly to the rest of the city? That view only gives you the total.

That turned out to be the problem. Thanks!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
returned to the game after a break, current city progress

ended up redoing some of the new town

Metrication fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 4, 2016

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Please stop posting these masterpieces its really unfair.

I could stare at this for hours

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Metrication posted:

returned to the game after a break, current city progress

The image is slightly ruined by the colossal order boating going on in the lower right. :downs:

Is there a mod that fixes ships?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Is there a trick to making roads be perfectly parallel? I may be a bit OCD about it, but I want my city to be just as pretty as those screenshots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bundle of Keys posted:

Is there a trick to making roads be perfectly parallel? I may be a bit OCD about it, but I want my city to be just as pretty as those screenshots.

Roads'll snap to 90 degrees, so you use a cross-road as a base to align them with.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bundle of Keys posted:

No trick. Just use the regular grid snapping to line them up. If the two roads are some distance apart, build a temporary bit of perpendicular road road as a connector between them and then use the 90° snapping on that one to build from there. If you're talking about highways or other roads that don't come with a grid, you can still use temporary roads as your guides and either do a direct road type conversion, or to set up the end points of the road section you want to build and just connect those with bits of straight highway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Uh... I loaded up the game today and I can't click 'new game'. what

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Uh... I loaded up the game today and I can't click 'new game'. what

"You ran out of free game time, please buy the latest building pack DLC to continue playing."

Sounds like it may be broken/out of date mods, try unsub or disable mods then see if it works then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have 15 pages of workshop mods, most of which are from building packs :suicide: