Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

:siren: Pro 12 Fantasy League :siren:

http://fantasy.pro12rugby.com/pro12/en/1/userhome.do

Goon League Code :
713886-322

I think it's the first time Guinness have done one. They actually make you pick some really obscure players in order to come in under budget.

I don't know what you mean I was able to pick a lot of the Scottish national team for me team......oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Australia's best Bledisloe tenure was 5 seasons (1998~2002). The All Blacks won it back in 2003, and if they successfully hold it through next season, they'd have tripled that tenure. The All Blacks' longest reign was 28 years, during which they even managed to actually misplace the thing.

Give us some olympic sevens facts

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

bigfoot again posted:

Give us some olympic sevens facts

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Adriaan Strauss is retiring from test rugby at the end of the 2016 international season. No idea who would replace him as captain next year.

Aramoro posted:

I don't know what you mean I was able to pick a lot of the Scottish national team for me team......oh.

Willis Halaholo is a good pick for the midfield, assuming he plays for Cardiff the way he did for the Hurricanes this year. He's in the No Homers Club midfield.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Vagabundo posted:

Willis Halaholo is a good pick for the midfield, assuming he plays for Cardiff the way he did for the Hurricanes this year. He's in the No Homers Club midfield.

I've taken Bundi Aki because he's great and Sasa Tofilau because he's from my old club and I should show some support, in centre.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Tyma posted:

:siren: Pro 12 Fantasy League :siren:

http://fantasy.pro12rugby.com/pro12/en/1/userhome.do

Goon League Code :
713886-322

I think it's the first time Guinness have done one. They actually make you pick some really obscure players in order to come in under budget.

Ok let's see how my memory is for club level players....

....gently caress

edit: Possibly giving Angus O'Brien too much of a big break here but I remember hearing good things about him in the under-20s

lenoon fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 2, 2016

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I'm in with little hope of winning. Absolutely delighted to have weekly rugby back again though.

Everyone in Ulster is really salty about Pienaar's contract not being renewed but I'm just hoping he can win something on his way out ffs.

E: he goes and puts in a MOTM performance and scores a try too the beautiful man. Will miss Pienaar more than most when he goes :(

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 2, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
As someone whose ancestors are from Ulster they got kicked out of Scotland and then kicked out of Ulster and had to move to Tennessee I too want to see Pienaar a success this year.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Absolutely delighted to have weekly rugby back again though.

Dude, weekly rugby is year-round. They play it other places than GB and Ireland

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
It just means more to me at least when it's the province I've grown up supporting, adds that level of interest on top of things that's missing when I watch other leagues or competitions. Also I get to go and stand in the stadium and drink Guinness while watching it which is lovely.

I always encourage people to watch rugby live though since it adds a lot to the experience. Super rugby is a level above in technical terms, and I love watching it on TV but you'll take my cold wet nights at Ravenhill watching two teams of ruddy Celts score 30 points between them from my frozen dead fingers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

It just means more to me at least when it's the province I've grown up supporting, adds that level of interest on top of things that's missing when I watch other leagues or competitions. Also I get to go and stand in the stadium and drink Guinness while watching it which is lovely.

:allears:

My wife and I went to the UK in 2015 and she graciously agreed to go both to Northampton to watch the Northampton Saints and go to Leeds to see the Leeds Rhinos (RL) and I was in heaven. I grew up in Northampton and in Leeds, Massachusetts, USA so those are the closest teams I have to a home club.

Also I drank about four pints of beer at each game.

Most of the time I have to settle for watching replays I download or YouTube and drinking beer on my couch and shouting at the TV, too drunk to remember that the game happened over 12 hours previously.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:siren: Gavin Henson is back in the Premiership :siren:

E: and he's out with a leg injury.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 3, 2016

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Connacht Glasgow is a good game.

Stuart Hogg is good.

I'm glad proper rugby is back.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Connacht Glasgow is a good game.

Stuart Hogg is good.

I'm glad proper rugby is back.

Connacht looked really rusty today but Glasgow played very well and cut out a lot of the errors that were in the preseason games. Sarto, Hogg and Seymour will be a scary combination this year if they stay healthy.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Connacht looked really rusty today but Glasgow played very well and cut out a lot of the errors that were in the preseason games. Sarto, Hogg and Seymour will be a scary combination this year if they stay healthy.

Apparently three of Connacht's pre season games were cancelled. Which hardly seems ideal preparation.

Then again Edinburgh had a full pre season and they were utterly shite v Cardiff.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aye, Edinburgh were awful. It's really getting to the point that it has to be coaching. The players they have are good and have the talent to play well but they're totally devoid of any attacking tactics. Tim Visser took a shot at the coaching earlier this year saying it was pretty unimaginative and from today's game, I'm inclined to agree.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If anyone's still wondering why Owen Franks didn't get cited, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4klCK4f_o

Kane Douglas has also come out and said that he wasn't eye-gouged.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

If anyone's still wondering why Owen Franks didn't get cited, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4klCK4f_o

Kane Douglas has also come out and said that he wasn't eye-gouged.

Stephen Jones is still banging on about it, even dusted off his (more legitimate at the time) O'Driscoll grievances from 11 years ago to pull it all into a conspiracy.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wow, three kiwis agree there shouldn't have been any action taken. Doesn't get more conclusive than that!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We're the only ones who actually understand the sport. I don't even like rugby and I'd be considered a rugby savant overseas tbh.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Unimpressed posted:

Wow, three kiwis agree there shouldn't have been any action taken. Doesn't get more conclusive than that!

Conveniently not mentioned: the alleged gougee

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Taulupe Faletau suffered a suspected medial knee ligament injury :saddowns:

It's hard being a bath fan.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Smorgasbord posted:

Conveniently not mentioned: the alleged gougee

The players never say they're bothered (BOD the exception), it's part of the macho culture. Besides, it's irrelevant what he thinks. Players have been suspended for weeks for having their fingers near the eyes and Franks had his thumb in Douglas' eye.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

thegasman2000 posted:

gently caress sake :(

We're going to be paying for that one fun year where we also won soemthing forever.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Unimpressed posted:

Maybe we could ask some unbiased Australian commentators about the incident.

If you find any could you let me know

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

thegasman2000 posted:

oh no, they'll have to sign another international now, poor bath

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

The players never say they're bothered (BOD the exception), it's part of the macho culture. Besides, it's irrelevant what he thinks. Players have been suspended for weeks for having their fingers near the eyes and Franks had his thumb in Douglas' eye.

The situation is not that different from Eben Etzebeth allegedly eye-gouging Greig Laidlaw a few years ago. It turned out that he didn't have a case to answer for at all either.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 4, 2016

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Unbiased opinion on the eye thing. It was probably 50/50 whether or not they were going to punish him for it and the citation committee decided not to. Probably swung by Douglas not making any fuss over it. If he'd gone down like a sack of spuds, Owens would be out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

thegasman2000 posted:

Yes well as a Northampton fan let me say :getout:

e: but seriously that was a wet fart of a game, at least we learned that our starting halves are Groom and Myler and not Dickson and Mallinder

ee: also I like that Bath's new shirts have a real collar, they deserve the W on that basis alone

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Maybe we could ask some unbiased Australian commentators about the incident.

If you find any could you let me know

So basically you're making my point. Thanks!

Seeing Vagabundo's post, I thought William Ellis Webb himself came down from the heavens to tell us, via YouTube, that he looked into Owen Franks' heart and saw there was no eye gouging. Instead, when I clicked on the link, there were three Kiwis talking about how it wasn't a gouge. It was a powerful moment, I have to say, I cried a little as I repented my impure suspicions of an AllBlack.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
If I had been the gougee, I wouldn't have tried to press the point after the fact. Franks gettng suspended wouldn't un-gently caress the Wallabies after two embarrassing losses, and campaigning for punishment just makes one look like a sore loser.

The real issue is the brutal savagery inflicted upon Australian Rugby by Michael Cheika.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Kane Douglas wasn't campaigning for anything. Cheika was being a sore loser for sure, and no one sane is claiming that the ref had anything to do with us losing. We were well beaten by a far superior team. The ref's biased behaviour was just pouring salt into the wounds but we would have lost with any ref short of them handing red cards to 3 ABs within 20 minutes that night (and even then it would have been close).

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
No I meant I can see why Kane Douglas wouldn't have pressed the issue.

Honestly if I were Australian I would just want to forget the game ever happened.

e: as an American I was so drunk during the USA/ABs 2014 test, and had to use the bathroom so much, that I pretty much don't remember it anyway

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

So basically you're making my point. Thanks!

Seeing Vagabundo's post, I thought William Ellis Webb himself came down from the heavens to tell us, via YouTube, that he looked into Owen Franks' heart and saw there was no eye gouging. Instead, when I clicked on the link, there were three Kiwis talking about how it wasn't a gouge. It was a powerful moment, I have to say, I cried a little as I repented my impure suspicions of an AllBlack.

Seriously, you're looking like a sore loser. Instead of actually talking about the footage shown in the link I posted, you choose instead to take issue with the fact that it was aired on a show in New Zealand.

Sorry your poo poo team sucks, mate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The post you quoted makes sense though.
That Owen Franks didn't get cited had nothing to do with the fact three New Zealander talking heads discussed it. The discussion point ranges around intent and, while I'll agree that there was no intent, it's worth noting that intent should only be half the loving process - if you legitimately disagree that he was super careless with his actions in an awkward situation, you're an ignorant homer.

I imagine he didn't get cited because nothing happened. I haven't seen massive talking points about how "Australia lost to those drat dirty All Blacks!", but I mean... well... hell there's been more talk about a women's AFL game than about any of the Bledisloe Cup this year.

It's not good, and it's not gonna get any better for... time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Schlesische posted:

The post you quoted makes sense though.
That Owen Franks didn't get cited had nothing to do with the fact three New Zealander talking heads discussed it. The discussion point ranges around intent and, while I'll agree that there was no intent, it's worth noting that intent should only be half the loving process - if you legitimately disagree that he was super careless with his actions in an awkward situation, you're an ignorant homer.

I imagine he didn't get cited because nothing happened. I haven't seen massive talking points about how "Australia lost to those drat dirty All Blacks!", but I mean... well... hell there's been more talk about a women's AFL game than about any of the Bledisloe Cup this year.

It's not good, and it's not gonna get any better for... time.

If you could point to a post where I said Franks wasn't careless, I'd really, really super-duper appreciate that, thanks. Literally not a single loving person has said he wasn't reckless. What IS being said is that there was no eye-gouge to begin with, which is what the footage from the NZRU that was shown on Sky Sports shows.

And honestly, if you or Unimpressed think that I'm arguing that Franks wasn't cited because of Sir JK, then I don't know what to say to you.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 5, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

If you could point to a post where I said Franks wasn't careless, I'd really, really super-duper appreciate that, thanks. Literally not a single loving person has said he wasn't reckless. What IS being said is that there was no eye-gouge to begin with, which is what the footage from the NZRU that was shown on Sky Sports shows.

And honestly, if you or Unimpressed think that I'm arguing that Franks wasn't cited because of Sir JK, then I don't know what to say to you.

If he was reckless then he should have been punished for it, that's exactly what they're looking for in a citing, reckless play. You agree he was reckless so he should have been suspended, simple as that.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Seriously, you're looking like a sore loser. Instead of actually talking about the footage shown in the link I posted, you choose instead to take issue with the fact that it was aired on a show in New Zealand.

Sorry your poo poo team sucks, mate.

In what way am I looking like a sore loser? I readily acknowledged in my post that we were beaten by a far superior all blacks team who thoroughly deserved to win.

I'm sorry you're unable to simply enjoy the fact the your team is the best Rugby team and plays great Rugby, without feeling the need to constantly gloat and to try and convince us all that they aren't only better at Rugby but they're somehow better men. I'm also sorry that posting about Australia turns you into a classless one eyed ABs fan where otherwise you come across as very knowledgeable and reasonable.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

While I agree that in general players don't make a fuss post-game, if someone gets motherfucking eye gouged they sure as gently caress make it known on the field. Douglas didn't, because he wasn't.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Smorgasbord posted:

While I agree that in general players don't make a fuss post-game, if someone gets motherfucking eye gouged they sure as gently caress make it known on the field. Douglas didn't, because he wasn't.

Player's should not be penalised based on outcomes. If you take out a player in the air then it shouldn't only be a penalty if he breaks his neck, that's not the point of the law. Hands over of near the eyes have seen players cited or sin binned before so they should be consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It also looke to me like Franks' hand kind of ended up there by accident, as a result of the hurlyburly that happens in a maul, and that he pulled his fingers (thumb especially) away from Douglas' face, i.e. he made a deliberate effort to NOT eye-gouge.

I think we can all agree, however, that we are glad this is not soccer.