Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Let's get down to the real issues: what background music will Fox News pick for Hillary's inauguration? If I recall Obama got an ominous choir of evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTL1L8a6YI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fits my needs posted:

Why isn't Guccifer being given a Medal of Honor for releasing Hillary Clintons emails? He's like Snowden or something right the guy they are making a movie about with that guy from inception?

He got sentenced to 52 months just today in fact.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Why isn't Guccifer being given a Medal of Honor for releasing Hillary Clintons emails? He's like Snowden or something right the guy they are making a movie about with that guy from inception?

Don't worry, the Russians aren't stingy with medals at all.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Prairie Home Companion is awful but is still must-listen radio compared to the absolute festering shitpile that is Eklektikos with John Aielli. At least PHC doesn't involve the host forgetting that he queued up a particular song (playing for the fourth time today) and continuing to read random sections of found newspapers at five words a minute over the music.

They both exist for the same reason that Peanuts is still in newspaper comic pages: old people write nasty letters threatening to stop sending money every time someone hints about getting rid of them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

emdash posted:

If it isn't folsky and charming, then what is?

I would say it's folksy and charming but those aren't virtues, haha

You know that feeling you get when you're talking to your parents and they try to use some "hip" slang they picked up through TV? It's that, only when it's felt by your grandmother when she's 90 and the older people in her retirement community act similarly.

Munkeymon posted:

According to the hip-hop classics station here the only thing that counts is Nelly and anything featuring Nelly, as far as I can tell from listening sporadically.

Wow, your classic station sucks. I think I've heard Nelly once in the last couple years on my local station.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Clinton raised $143 million in August. I wonder if Trump even got a quarter of that.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

You guys wanna hear a song about ketchup?

Yes. Also screw everyone that disrespects PHC.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

edrith posted:

i wasn't allowed to listen to pop radio growing up, so i fed on a steady diet of prairie home companion. my favorite bit was the swedish-american lutheran couple who hated each other but didn't know how to express it. i remember once listening to an extended bit about garrison keillor taking a magical blue pill that made him more confident and made the neighbor ladies very happy. lake wobegon had an underground seedy side if you knew how to listen/were so loving bored listening to loving prairie home companion that you grabbed onto anything, anything at all, that could be construed as interesting. like i know the baseball team is called the whippets but i assumed that referred to whip-it parties and not dogs

Lake Wobegon could stand to have Frank Booth as a resident.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Is there a correlation between the large number of radio listeners and conservative talk radio? I know they cling to their radio like they cling to Fox News.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I just realized that I hate Garrison Keillor more for the Writer's Almanac than APHC. Imagine listening to the news on your early morning commute and having it interrupted by this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Np_CWhAP2Y

I just can't stand how pretentious/snooty he sounds.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I had that on for like fifteen seconds and started falling asleep at my desk. That man's voice is like an auditory tranquilizer dart

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem is that police unions are filled with police.

This is the key right here. Unions aren't separate entities from the people they represent, they are a union of their members. If the members are lovely, so is the union.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

B B posted:

I just realized that I hate Garrison Keillor more for the Writer's Almanac than APHC. Imagine listening to the news on your early morning commute and having it interrupted by this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Np_CWhAP2Y

I just can't stand how pretentious/snooty he sounds.

Seriously gently caress you. It's great, love me some daily poetry readings.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Clinton raised $143 million in August. I wonder if Trump even got a quarter of that.

The Trump Campaign, where all the fundraising numbers are above average

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keillor is actually a decent poet, not like poet laureate material but still pretty good

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Magres posted:

I had that on for like fifteen seconds and started falling asleep at my desk. That man's voice is like an auditory tranquilizer dart

Keillor's voice is the sound of an elderly man slowly dying on the toilet.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

Let's get down to the real issues: what background music will Fox News pick for Hillary's inauguration? If I recall Obama got an ominous choir of evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

emdash posted:

just gonna back up a sec and say what the hell is this post

Me feeling scared that we've reached that point where The Chronic is almost 25 years old.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Seriously gently caress you. It's great, love me some daily poetry readings.

I hate the daily poetry because only like 1 poem a month even rhymes. They're just lovely short stories that don't make any sense or go anywhere.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Iron Crowned posted:

:argh: I have a special hatred for that station.

C89.5 owns and I will defend it!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Bad Moon posted:

C89.5 owns and I will defend it!

Same.

Crabtree posted:

Me feeling scared that we've reached that point where The Chronic is almost 25 years old.

My question is when can we start referring to that as dadrap?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beatlegs posted:

Is there a correlation between the large number of radio listeners and conservative talk radio? I know they cling to their radio like they cling to Fox News.

Considering white people have started listening to radio proportionally less, and black and latino people have started listening proportionally more, I doubt it. And music is by far the most common thing for people to listen to on the radio. Conservative talk is a rather small category of listeners.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

also lol whaddup USPol thread, all-in in just 18 hours on Prairie Home Companion delenda est. Good times.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

foobardog posted:

Babydaddy/Old Man Beats.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I hope this thread goes better than las-

never mind

You change your mind about the ladies with the watermelon crushing thighs yet?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

To this contentious debate, I add Keiller's latest op-ed on Trump.

It's pretty vicious. In a Methodist kind of way. :smuggo:

quote:

When you came to Manhattan 40 years ago, you discovered that in entertainment, the press, politics, finance, everywhere you went, you ran into Jews, and they are not like you: Jews didn't go in for big yachts and a fleet of aircraft — they showed off by way of philanthropy or by raising brilliant offspring. They sympathized with the civil rights movement. In Queens, blacks were a threat to property values — they belonged in the Bronx, not down the street. To the Times, Queens is Cleveland. Bush league. You are Queens.

If Trump actually read this it would really piss him off.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

emdash posted:

If it isn't folsky and charming, then what is?

I would say it's folksy and charming but those aren't virtues, haha

Banal and tedious?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Further, in addition to racial minorities the GOP also likes to gently caress up gender issues. The GOP isn't going to be able to just throw a coat of paint over their dilapidated racist misogyny van and suddenly get all those non-white men on board. They're going to have to actually get a new ride if they want to pick off the Democratic coalition.

I disagree, Remember that they were able to get women to fight against each other with the Equal Rights Amendment by framing it as "young women in the work force look down upon you simple salt of the earth older home makers"

As for the new ride the great awakening and the creation of the abortion controversy we just a generation ago. Alies won with his idea of fox news. Regan took his biggest internal critic H bush and made him vice president. Even though H bush called his economics Voodoo.

Also are media will bend over to blow the GOP and do that truth is in the middle poo poo. So yeah they can come up with a new bag the media will let the pundits lie through their teeth, and they could just wait for some scandal or incident to happen to the dems and prey upon it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

also lol whaddup USPol thread, all-in in just 18 hours on Prairie Home Companion delenda est. Good times.

Whitepeople.txt

I must be the only poster in here who doesn't listen to NPR at all. I do enjoy Keeping it 1600, though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How the hell did they pull this off, drat. That is considerably more than previous months.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Gyges posted:

Wow, your classic station sucks. I think I've heard Nelly once in the last couple years on my local station.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. GF loves Nelly for some reason, though :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

How the hell did they pull this off, drat. That is considerably more than previous months.

Pretty impressive for a napping granny propped up on pillows.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So this "prairie home companion" is it a bit like the American version of The Archers?

The archers is a 15 minute radio show on radio 4 every day that details the fairly usual lives of people in a farming community/ small market town in England. It is exactly as dull as it sounds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

So this "prairie home companion" is it a bit like the American version of The Archers?

The archers is a 15 minute radio show on radio 4 every day that details the fairly usual lives of people in a farming community/ small market town in England. It is exactly as dull as it sounds.

That's very different from the Archer over here.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WampaLord posted:

Whitepeople.txt

I must be the only poster in here who doesn't listen to NPR at all. I do enjoy Keeping it 1600, though.

I listen to podcasts mostly, sometimes podcasts recordings of live radio shows so it's a weird limbo state. I can't listen to radio at work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The "Presumptive" fell off the front of her title. There was a bit of a get-together in Phillie you might have heard about just before the month started. It was in all the papers.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

foobardog posted:

My son came home from a show on Saturday night and mentioned running into a friend he hadn't seen in awhile. This is how the conversation went

Son: I saw Malek at the show tonight.
Highme: How's Malek?
S: He was dominating the mosh pit.
H: hip hop shows have pits now?
S: um, for the last couple of years
H: Not at any of the shows I've attended in the past couple of year
S: We don't listen to the same hip hop dad.

So basically, I've decided he listens to Nu Hip Hop.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zoux posted:

That's very different from the Archer over here.

Yeah, I was suprised too when I saw it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

highme posted:

My son came home from a show on Saturday night and mentioned running into a friend he hadn't seen in awhile. This is how the conversation went

Son: I saw Malek at the show tonight.
Highme: How's Malek?
S: He was dominating the mosh pit.
H: hip hop shows have pits now?
S: um, for the last couple of years
H: Not at any of the shows I've attended in the past couple of year
S: We don't listen to the same hip hop dad.

So basically, I've decided he listens to Nu Hip Hop.

Congratulations, your son is going to Limp Bizkit and (hed)P.E. shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Josef bugman posted:

It's a 2 hour, weekly, show (well, was until the guy retired), and there's musical guests during it, but otherwise yeah that seems like a fair comparison.

• Locked thread