Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I was a kid, my favourite sandwich was peanut butter and bacos.

Toast the bread and put some banana in it and you got yourself an Elvis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Anne Whateley posted:

Also, it makes a lot less sense eating-wise to measure by weight instead of volume.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with this. Many foods are compressible or variable density, including bacon bits. If you measure by weight you always get consistent measurements.

Obviously you don't need to measure liquids by weight (though it can be helpful, like when making bread) but most solid foods should be weighed IMO.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Obviously you don't need to measure liquids by weight (though it can be helpful, like when making bread) but most solid foods should be weighed IMO.

There's an interesting book about cooking and eating utensils throughout history that has a bit about why American home cooks ended up using volume measurements instead of weights (basically the ubiquity of the Fannie Farmer cookbook among some other factors). I started using recipes with weight measure for bread after I read it and so far haven't made a bad one since, it's like night and day.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Is anyone going to look these values up before posting instead of throwing poo poo out there?

For real folks. I know this isn't the diet thread, but lets try be as factual as possible about nutrition numbers.

There are a lot of resources online for this sort of thing, but I'm surprised at how often I use Wolfram-Alpha; it allows you enter a bunch of ingredients, and it will give you an FDA-style nutrition label for the whole dish.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hogmartin posted:

There's an interesting book about cooking and eating utensils throughout history that has a bit about why American home cooks ended up using volume measurements instead of weights (basically the ubiquity of the Fannie Farmer cookbook among some other factors). I started using recipes with weight measure for bread after I read it and so far haven't made a bad one since, it's like night and day.

I imagine a big factor was that once a measuring cup is manufactured, you never have to calibrate it, where I imagine early scales could vary wildly over their lifetime.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hogmartin posted:

That does seem like an interesting book, thanks for linking it.

Enourmo posted:

I imagine a big factor was that once a measuring cup is manufactured, you never have to calibrate it, where I imagine early scales could vary wildly over their lifetime.

That's a good point. Nowadays I think the scales have gone in the other direction - measuring cups can vary in volume depending on manufacturer, but scales are all pretty good, even the $10 gram scales. It's hard to buy a scale that isn't accurate enough to cook with.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 1, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I think that was mentioned as well. I should read that chapter again, if I can dig up the book.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with this. Many foods are compressible or variable density, including bacon bits. If you measure by weight you always get consistent measurements.

I agree in terms of measuring for sure, I just meant eating-wise most people are going to do portions by volume. When you're putting bacon bits on your potato, you're helping yourself unconsciously based on the size of the spoon, you're not gonna be like "hmm it would seem bare without 3 more grams."

In terms of diets or baking I totally measure.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, you DON'T just dump the jar of bacos into your mouth when nobody is looking?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

hello im drinking 2 liters artificially sweetened artificially flavored water every day

better than u

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Lunch has become more bacon than potato

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I agree in terms of measuring for sure, I just meant eating-wise most people are going to do portions by volume. When you're putting bacon bits on your potato, you're helping yourself unconsciously based on the size of the spoon, you're not gonna be like "hmm it would seem bare without 3 more grams."

In terms of diets or baking I totally measure.

But we aren't putting food on our plates, we're discussing nutritional content of various foodstuffs. Sure, when serving food, you look at volume, but when measuring food you measure weight - and what we're doing is measuring food.

It makes more sense to compare weight of bacon bits and butter because "a spoonful" means different things to different people. 3 grams means the same everywhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

3 grams means the same everywhere.
What if you eat bacon bits on the moon :colbert:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Checkmate

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Poor Paperhouse, who just wanted to eat some potatoes, is probably running screaming off into the darkness after this, apologies for my part in the derail :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

What if you eat bacon bits on the moon :colbert:

A gram is mass, not weight, so it'd be the same on the moon.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

people if you're given a non water liquid as a weight you need to use a scale. Gravity can vary wildly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

What I have been doing if I'm making hamburgers for more than say, 2 people, is just buying the pre-formed patties

Burgers are just for me :btroll: I do a lot of work though so I'm trying to minimize prep time so I'm not tempted to just get take out.

While I'm talking about prep and storage, how long would chicken breast last in the fridge? Would lemon juice or teriyaki effect storage time?

E: Oh and sealing my frozen burgers, would tossing them in a freezer ziploc bag and squeezing the air out work?

Leal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

hogmartin posted:

Poor Paperhouse, who just wanted to eat some potatoes, is probably running screaming off into the darkness after this, apologies for my part in the derail :(
I've read every single word, and i still don't know how to eat a potato

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
j/k I made some lovely potatoes yesterday, using substantially less oil wasn't really as bad as I had imagined it might be. my one weird trick also was mixing a poo poo load of other vegetables into the roasting dish with some herbs and spices so that one portion of this potato thing was really half Good poo poo like courgettes and peppers and tomatoes. It beats eating just a big portion of mash or chips or something. I will probably make a soup soon

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I've read every single word, and i still don't know how to eat a potato

Can any of us say we truly know how to eat a potato? rly maeks u think

That sounds like a good recipe though, glad to hear it worked out. Anything particular in mind for the soup?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

hogmartin posted:

Can any of us say we truly know how to eat a potato? rly maeks u think

Ice cold, in a shot glass. (ca 25 Kcal/cl).

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

DekeThornton posted:

Ice cold, in a shot glass. (ca 25 Kcal/cl).

That's the way use up your mom's potatoes

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Paperhouse posted:

j/k I made some lovely potatoes yesterday, using substantially less oil wasn't really as bad as I had imagined it might be. my one weird trick also was mixing a poo poo load of other vegetables into the roasting dish with some herbs and spices so that one portion of this potato thing was really half Good poo poo like courgettes and peppers and tomatoes. It beats eating just a big portion of mash or chips or something. I will probably make a soup soon

I've got a recipe for a potato and lentil soup which I really dig. It requires a roux, though, so it might not meet your particular requirements?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone tried some Miracle Fruit Frooties? Its made from a berry that "When the fleshy part of the fruit is eaten, this molecule binds to the tongue's taste buds, causing sour foods to taste sweet. At neutral pH, miraculin binds and blocks the receptors, but at low pH (resulting from ingestion of sour foods) miraculin binds proteins and becomes able to activate the sweet receptors, resulting in the perception of sweet taste. This effect lasts until the protein is washed away by saliva (up to about 30 minutes)."

It stops things from tasting sour, you could eat a lemon like an orange. Maybe I could actually eat a grapefruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I remember this was a huge craze back in like 2006-7 maybe?

I've tried them on a couple of occasions, and they work exactly as advertised, and it's REALLY trippy. We set up a miracle berry tasting party. Lemon wedges, lime wedges, grapefruit, vinegar, guinness etc. Everything tastes sweeter. Wasn't expecting much change with the guinness, but it tasted more like sweet coffee/chocolate. Everything sour tasted like hyper-sweet candy. 10/10, would trip again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

M'berry

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you really wanna flavor trip, go try some gymnema sylvestre

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bragg's/Maggi for starters. Also lots of onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, etc.

What are Bragg's/Maggi?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jewel Repetition posted:

What are Bragg's/Maggi?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...%2BL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F8AGHY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472807049&sr=8-3&keywords=maggi+seasoning&pi=SY200_QL40

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the advantage of bragg's over soy sauce? :confused:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's concentrated glutamates without the overwhelming saltiness that soy would bring to get the same umami boost.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's concentrated glutamates without the overwhelming saltiness that soy would bring to get the same umami boost.

Also, woo-woo people attribute magic powers to the supposed healthiness of Bragg's.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
But in reality it just tastes good.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

But in reality it just tastes good.

SSHHHHHHH! Magic Powers

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Tasting good is a magic power

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jewel Repetition posted:

In addition to what was already said, it's vegan friendly in case you are vegan or cook for vegan friends

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

In addition to what was already said, it's vegan friendly in case you are vegan or cook for vegan friends

How is soy sauce not vegan friendly?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

rgocs posted:

How is soy sauce not vegan friendly?

It murders all those mold spores used in the fermentation process.

I think PETA accused Kikkoman of experimenting on animals at one point though.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thanks for the recommendation though, I'm getting Maggi's because it doesn't have any soy. And apparently you want to get the kind in the red caps, not the yellow caps which are made out of boiled sewage in lead-lined bottles by child slaves.