Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Iron Rose posted:

a 1070 is unlikely to be powerful enough to run high/ultra @ 1440p @ 144Hz. A 1080 would be a better choice, and even then it may struggle.

EVGA generally has the best warranty, though iirc it's 3 years long, which may be insufficient for your purposes. That being said, it is transferable and 3 years is industry standard.

You may want to consider a 1tb SSD, as 500gb can get cramped and you're in a mITX case, which will likely not have many (if any) expansion slots.

The RAM you've selected has Big Dumb Heatsinks that can gently caress up your cooler placement. Heatsinks on RAM are utterly unnecessary and drive up the price for no reason whatsoever. Get a set of RAM without.

For windows 10, go to r/microsoftsoftwareswap to get a windows 10 key for a grand total of like, $35 bucks.

You don't need custom short power cables or anything like that.

Gsync monitors are fantastic, but be prepared to pony up like $700 bucks for an IPS 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor.

Check to ensure that your cooler height is compatible with the case you've chosen, there should be specs to see the max height cooler it can accept. Do the same with the video card to make sure it will fit.

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't expect to get 144fps on anything, just that I was planning to get a monitor with those capabilities and be working towards that with upgrades over the years, as opposed to going to 4K. It looks like if I tweaked settings I could actually hit 144fps with games where that would have the most effect (Overwatch, Doom), but for most everything else I would be happy to stay above 60fps. I heard that GSync provided the most benefits when there is a gap between the monitor refresh rate and the FPS the card pushes out, which is why I was considering that. The performance boost/dollar for the GTX 1080 did not look that great to me.

I picked that RAM because I heard Corsair was one of the top companies, and all the pictures of ram on PCPartPicker seemed to have similar heatsinks. I didn't really see any that was just the bare stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't expect to get 144fps on anything, just that I was planning to get a monitor with those capabilities and be working towards that with upgrades over the years, as opposed to going to 4K. It looks like if I tweaked settings I could actually hit 144fps with games where that would have the most effect (Overwatch, Doom), but for most everything else I would be happy to stay above 60fps. I heard that GSync provided the most benefits when there is a gap between the monitor refresh rate and the FPS the card pushes out, which is why I was considering that. The performance boost/dollar for the GTX 1080 did not look that great to me.

I picked that RAM because I heard Corsair was one of the top companies, and all the pictures of ram on PCPartPicker seemed to have similar heatsinks. I didn't really see any that was just the bare stick.

RAM is RAM is RAM, get whatever's cheapest and whatever doesn't have giant heatsinks. It doesn't need to be just the bare stick, but it shouldn't stick out like the hilariously stupid Corsair Vengeance line does.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

RAM is RAM is RAM, get whatever's cheapest and whatever doesn't have giant heatsinks. It doesn't need to be just the bare stick, but it shouldn't stick out like the hilariously stupid Corsair Vengeance line does.

These are all the options on PC Part Picker for DDR4-3200 . I can't tell that any are smaller or larger than another. I mean, it actually looks like the Vengeance LPX is the shortest?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think you could get 144fps on Overwatch at High and certainly at Medium. I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor (though with a 1080 STRIX) and hit 144 on Ultra. Frankly, trade looks for frames any time - it is such a huge difference, I would do 144 at Low over 60 at Epic.

You can avoid the G-Sync tax by getting an ATI card and a FreeSync monitor. I have read good things about it and I think Nvidia will support it eventually, but regardless, it would save you a few hundred bucks now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

These are all the options on PC Part Picker for DDR4-3200 . I can't tell that any are smaller or larger than another. I mean, it actually looks like the Vengeance LPX is the shortest?

whoops, mea culpa. I guess I had the incredibly dumb DDR3 Corsair vengence RAM stuck in my head, you're fine, my bad :downs:

becoming posted:

I think you could get 144fps on Overwatch at High and certainly at Medium. I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor (though with a 1080 STRIX) and hit 144 on Ultra. Frankly, trade looks for frames any time - it is such a huge difference, I would do 144 at Low over 60 at Epic.

You can avoid the G-Sync tax by getting an ATI card and a FreeSync monitor. I have read good things about it and I think Nvidia will support it eventually, but regardless, it would save you a few hundred bucks now.

I wouldn't really recommend this at the moment, AMD doesn't have anything that competes with a 1070 in terms of performance and longevity right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Iron Rose posted:

a 1070 is unlikely to be powerful enough to run high/ultra @ 1440p @ 144Hz. A 1080 would be a better choice, and even then it may struggle.

Gsync monitors are fantastic, but be prepared to pony up like $700 bucks for an IPS 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor.

You shouldn't feel the need to be at 144FPS at all times. Even without GSync you'll probably not notice being in the 100+ FPS and if you do that's what adaptive syncing is for. A 1070 is a great 1440p card for that. If you do plan on getting GSync the difference between 110 FPS and 144FPS is going to be ridiculously hard to tell.

I got the the acer XB2710HU Monitor for $450 here:
http://acerrecertified.com/UM.HB0AA.001
It comes in stock occasionally in the mornings, in April it only took me 3 or 4 days of checking when I woke up until I was able to snag it. I dunno if they have been coming back in stock lately.

The Dell TN 1440p/144HZ Gsync monitor is frequently $450 new and that is a pretty great TN panel that is pretty close to the IPS.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

The Iron Rose posted:

whoops, mea culpa. I guess I had the incredibly dumb DDR3 Corsair vengence RAM stuck in my head, you're fine, my bad :downs:

I wouldn't really recommend this at the moment, AMD doesn't have anything that competes with a 1070 in terms of performance and longevity right now.

I'm cautiously optimistic about my strategy of picking up a firesaled fury. Looking at 4-500 bucks cheaper compared to a 1070 once the monitor is factored in. I know it's not the same performance but it's enough.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Building a new machine for software development and gaming. Likely will have at least one VM running on a regular basis. Not planning on overclocking. I'd like it to be reasonably quiet. Anything glaringly stupid in my proposed build?

PCPartPicker list / Breakdown my merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive / Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Wifi Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Total: $1980.78

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
My case struggles continue. Is there a good, relatively cheap (less than ~£75) mATX case with good airflow, dust filters as standard, and that is actually small? My current Antec ATX case (an SLK-BQE; an ancient thing based on the Sonata, if anyone remembers that) is 220 x 470 x 460 (ish) and a a lot of supposedly small cases seem only a bit smaller (Bitfenix Prodigy: 250 x 404 x 359; Carbide Air 240: 260 x 387 x 320).

The Antec ISK-600M (290 x 272.6 x 340) seems like it might fit the bill except that it doesn't have dust filters on the side vents and I'm not sure how great the cooling is. Anyone got any experience with it?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zephro posted:

My case struggles continue. Is there a good, relatively cheap (less than ~£75) mATX case with good airflow, dust filters as standard, and that is actually small? My current Antec ATX case (an SLK-BQE; an ancient thing based on the Sonata, if anyone remembers that) is 220 x 470 x 460 (ish) and a a lot of supposedly small cases seem only a bit smaller (Bitfenix Prodigy: 250 x 404 x 359; Carbide Air 240: 260 x 387 x 320).

The Antec ISK-600M (290 x 272.6 x 340) seems like it might fit the bill except that it doesn't have dust filters on the side vents and I'm not sure how great the cooling is. Anyone got any experience with it?

My default mATX suggestion is the excellent Define Mini, quiet, dust filters, and so on. Fits in the price bracket. But as for being really small, well, not so much. We're not talking about mini-ITX here, after all.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013
Here's a few suggestions for mATX cases;

(Edit)Corsair Coolermaster N200
Corsair 88r
Silverstone PS07/08/09/TJ-08e
Nanoxia DS4
Jonsbo UMX/RM3

These are traditional tower shapes, and reasonably small.

I personally have the TJ-08e, and can vouch for its quality, the PS07 is the same internal layout but with 2x120mm fans in the front instead of 1x180mm, and it's the cheaper of the two.

Another reason I like the TJ-08e is it has clearance for 165mm of cooler, so you can put a pretty premium cooler in there (I have a Noctua NH-U14S in mine).

Kintamarama fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 1, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

HalloKitty posted:

My default mATX suggestion is the excellent Define Mini, quiet, dust filters, and so on. Fits in the price bracket. But as for being really small, well, not so much. We're not talking about mini-ITX here, after all.
Thanks. I guess I could just suck it up and go mini-ITX, but then you start paying a bit of a premium for motherboards, you've got to double-check that graphics cards, coolers and the like fit, and I worry that you give up quietness. Maybe I should just do it, though. I'd like a PC that is at least occasionally portable, but 90% of mATX cases seem to too big for that.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
I'm not entirely sure if this or the backup thread is a better fit for this question, but since it's primarily about hardware and not software I figured I'll ask it here.

I'm looking to get or build a (as) tiny (as possible) and quiet pc/nas/media server I can keep in the living room, which will work as both a Plex server that can transcode media, as well as a backup for my other pcs.
If it could stream Steam games as well that'd be great, but that's more a bonus requirement.

While I kinda know what I'm doing when building a regular pc, I've no idea what to go for when it comes to such a solution.
My budget is preferably sub-1000, max 1500. I figure I need 1 x 3.5" hdd for the Plex media, and 1 or 2 x 3.5" for the backups. The Plex server will probably only do one stream at a time if it matters.

Any suggestions for builds or pre-built solutions that would fit the bill?

Shaking lemur butt fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 1, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Zephro posted:

My case struggles continue. Is there a good, relatively cheap (less than ~£75) mATX case with good airflow, dust filters as standard, and that is actually small?
Silverstone SG10 is great, I love mine to pieces. Many people flip the top intake fan to top exhaust instead and often see an improvement in temps. With the top fan set to exhaust, the case has great airflow. It is possibly the smallest mATX case to take full size video cards and PSUs, and tower coolers.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
So, I ended up biting the bullet and going with this build. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/gjnqm8 I went the whole hog and just said gently caress the budget, this is what I want. I also decided to have a go at putting it all together myself. Well I've spent hours putting it all together and neatly managing the cables. However, when I went to boot it up there was no beep and no display. It said A9 on the mobo display which just means 'Start of Setup' according to the manual. So I googled it and read the suggestion of removing the mobo battery, shorting the contacts, removing all RAM but the single module in slot 3, and removing the graphics card. I did all that and it finally booted. Right now I'm in the middle of installing Windows 10 but I'd love to know what this indicates and how do I fix it? If I need to move this to another thread just let me know which.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Work is keen to buy me a 4k monitor, looking at the Samsung U28E590D. it's £328 on Amazon. PLS and 28" look good to me. Don't wanna break their budget, but is there a better deal in the UK?

Mostly used for productivity, maybe watching movies and some gaming (dark souls, Overwatch maybe. Other console ports. Nothing twitchy basically.)

(xpost from monitor thread)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

well why not posted:

Work is keen to buy me a 4k monitor, looking at the Samsung U28E590D. it's £328 on Amazon. PLS and 28" look good to me. Don't wanna break their budget, but is there a better deal in the UK?

Mostly used for productivity, maybe watching movies and some gaming (dark souls, Overwatch maybe. Other console ports. Nothing twitchy basically.)

It's not PLS, it's TN, so the usual caveats apply. Colours will look bad, and you will have colour shifting in the corners of the display due to it being 28" and TN.

Really I've never understood the 4K TN monitors, because whatever image quality benefit 4K gives is negated by the shittiness of TN.

Have you looked into the P2715Q? It's a nice 27" 4K IPS screen and typically not too much more expensive than the TN models.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

BurritoJustice posted:

It's not PLS, it's TN, so the usual caveats apply. Colours will look bad, and you will have colour shifting in the corners of the display due to it being 28" and TN.

Really I've never understood the 4K TN monitors, because whatever image quality benefit 4K gives is negated by the shittiness of TN.

Have you looked into the P2715Q? It's a nice 27" 4K IPS screen and typically not too much more expensive than the TN models.

A quick look on amazon indicates it's about £200 more than the samsung.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

well why not posted:

The FlatPanels buyer's guide is usually my go-to place. They also include the calibration settings in their reviews.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
What's the recommended wireless adapter for desktop these days? (pcie or USB is fine). I have a TP-Link Archer C7 as the router.

Currently I'm using a TP-Link T4UH v1 and it has all kinds of connectivity issues.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Posted here a while back and took all recommendations and was SUPER HAPPY.

Looking to build another PC for my mom in law. She doesn't need anything fancy, just using it for work/surfing/watch netflix.

Was thinking:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Need help with this, she might do a bit of video editing, but NO gaming, lol but want to be covered for 4-5 years
Case: Need help with this, she wants it to be very slim, so it can go on her desk next to the monitor
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Told her I could do it for around 600 bucks, but she is flexible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I was looking for slim cases the one I gravitated towards was the SilverStone ML08B:

I ultimately decided against it because of case temperatures when overclocking, but for a lower-powered rig it should be fine

Edit: It's a Mini ITX case, though I assume there must be similar ones for Micro

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 1, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That, the Raven line, and the Node 202 seem to be the most popular slim cases.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

kingcobweb posted:

Buying a discrete sound card because I'm a huge music nerd

Khablam posted:

The on-board sound almost certainly has better sound than the budget card, or is completely indistinguishable. (115 snr to 105)
24bit/96khz means poo poo.

If you are a music nerd you'll connect the integrated soundcard to an external amplifier using an optical SP-DIF cable. That way you avoid the interference caused by the computer, since the soundcard is transmitting a digital signal and you also avoid interference between the computer and amplifier since there is no galvanic connection.

A more modern option would a HDMI connection, but I have some misgiving about it after burning two HDMI ports from my TV when plugging the cable while both computer and TV were connected to power.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, I finally came up with this:

I live in :britain: , this will be an upgrade to my current gaming / web browsing / light productivity PC. Budget is around £850. At the moment I run a boring 1080p non-Freesync monitor, but see below.

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£213.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£28.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.76 @ BT Shop)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£74.52 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card (£254.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case (£49.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£81.32 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £842.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-01 21:07 BST+0100
Any suggestions welcome.

Also a couple of questions: for a mini-ITX shoebox like the Core 500, will I see much difference in cooling between a blower-style GPU and an open-cooled one? I know in theory blowers are better because they can suck in cold air through the side vent and then exhaust it directly out the back, but they tend to be noisier than open-cooling systems and I would really like this PC to be quiet. Also, if I do go for the Radeon, is the price premium for the 8 gig version worth it? I'm unlikely to go much higher than 1080p (maaaaybe 2560 x 1080 if I push the boat out on a Freesync monitor upgrade).

edit: one more question, actually - I have an Antec Truepower 550 non-modular PSU in my current PC. Saving £81 by hanging on to it is quite attractive, but am I dooming myself to a world of pain if I try to re-use it in the new case? Fractal says that case will take a non-modular PSU, but will it come at the price of bloodied knuckles and swearing?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 2, 2016

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Can someone double check me here. I'm pretty sure this CPU (i7-4970K) fits this motherboard (ASUS Z97-K).

Intel's site says the CPU supports the FCLGA1150, and the motherboard says it 's LGA1150, but google tells me that doesn't matter and the CPU is listed as compatible on the ASUS website. If I understand properly I just need a BIOS upgrade to support the CPU, but I feel like I'm missing something important.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 1, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smegmatron posted:

Can someone double check me here. I'm pretty sure this CPU (i7-4970K) fits this motherboard (ASUS Z97-K).

Intel's site says the CPU supports the FCLGA1150, and the motherboard says it 's LGA1150, but google tells me that doesn't matter and the CPU is listed as compatible on the ASUS website. If I understand properly I just need a BIOS upgrade to support the CPU, but I feel like I'm missing something important.

Yeah those are compatible.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Possibly a dumb question, but is there a functional difference in gaming performance between my 2500k OC'd to 4.00GHz and say a 6600k OC'd to the same speed?

I know the newer ones will be less hot and more energy efficient, but I wonder if I'm maybe missing something or if we've just been stuck in processor speed for a while now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know which ram slots to use on ASUS Z170-A motherboard if I only use 2 sticks of RAM? If I can use 2-4 I think I'll risk getting the larger H5 Ultimate cpu cooler otherwise I think I'll have to settle for the H5 universal cooler which is less likely to block RAM.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Thanks! I think the difference is in the cooler, I've read a lot of comments about the Cryorig being smaller than average.

But if I can grab something without Big Dumb Heat Spreaders without paying too much extra I will, just in case.

How is the cryorig cooler working for you? I built a PC with a Cryorig H7 for my wife last Christmas. It's basically touching the RAM stick but I haven't had any problems with it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 2, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Maxmaps posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but is there a functional difference in gaming performance between my 2500k OC'd to 4.00GHz and say a 6600k OC'd to the same speed?

I know the newer ones will be less hot and more energy efficient, but I wonder if I'm maybe missing something or if we've just been stuck in processor speed for a while now.

Processor speed has been stuck for over a decade. Every CPU I've bought in the last 12 years has hovered around 4GHz on a single core.

The CPU thread is having a spirited discussion about just how much the extra cache and improved hyperthreading matter right now.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 2, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Any chance there will be significant Labor Day deals on hardware? I feel like I should wait a week just to make sure I'm not leaving money on the table

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Smegmatron posted:

FC stands for flip chip because originally the chips on these processor packages were on the same side as the pins - this is back when it was all PGAs instead of LGAs. Heatsinks are way more effective when they're directly on the die instead of insulated by the package body, so once chips started needing serious active cooling they were all flipped to the opposite side of the package from the pins. This happened a long time ago (with Pentium MMX for Intel, I think) so at this point the "flipped" configuration is the only one that many people know and the unnecessary "FC" is dropped by most.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 2, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Maxmaps posted:

Better IPC at the same clock speed, so it's faster yes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

7xxx (out January) looks like it will have some very nice optimization for codecs, which would be great for streaming (up/down), recording etc. Worth investigating.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

The 6600K does slightly more work per cycle, has better cache and enables DDR4 memory. You can of course push a 6600k further on an OC than you can a 2500k.
For gaming specifically, OC'd or not, the above factors add together to the 2500k beginning to be a bottleneck if you're pushing 2016's games on a highend 2016 card. It's probably the slowest CPU worth replacing if you're somewhat budget restrained.
Even if your budget is almost unlimited, it hasn't been worth re-buying into the new CPU generation for a while.

This is a good thing in some regards, as the cost of keeping a gaming PC (year on year average) above console standards is now about console prices. Just stick a mid-range card in every 3 years and you're good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think I hosed something up on my new PC. Possibly ruined the i5-6600k :/ Won't post, fans and mechanical hard drive start up, but as far as I can tell nothing else does. Which implies to me anyways the CPU is the problem. PCU and GTX 970 is a carry over from my other PC and I plugged those back into it and it works just fine, i'm typing back on my old PC again. Time to start sending stuff back to Newegg for replacement.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Khablam posted:

The 6600K does slightly more work per cycle, has better cache and enables DDR4 memory. You can of course push a 6600k further on an OC than you can a 2500k.
For gaming specifically, OC'd or not, the above factors add together to the 2500k beginning to be a bottleneck if you're pushing 2016's games on a highend 2016 card. It's probably the slowest CPU worth replacing if you're somewhat budget restrained.
Even if your budget is almost unlimited, it hasn't been worth re-buying into the new CPU generation for a while.

This is a good thing in some regards, as the cost of keeping a gaming PC (year on year average) above console standards is now about console prices. Just stick a mid-range card in every 3 years and you're good.

Yeah, we had that infamous Digital Foundry article that showed the OC 2500k being outperformed by a stock 6500. There are a number of factors at play besides clock speed.

It does raise an interesting question, why have clock speeds stagnated? Technical or physical limitations?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

LLSix posted:

How is the cryorig cooler working for you? I built a PC with a Cryorig H7 for my wife last Christmas. It's basically touching the RAM stick but I haven't had any problems with it.

We may never know! I ended up having to downgrade to a 212 EVO because the Cryorig was out of stock everywhere. But I think it would have been fine, by that point I had already swapped to ram without heat spreaders. This build has gone through many iterations, thanks to me being compulsive and the friend I'm assisting being a lazy rear end in a top hat who kept not pulling the trigger and leaving me with a then-defunct list of parts when stock availability or pricing changed.

I finally yelled at him and got it done, though. Stuff should start arriving today! :toot:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Thanks to the CPU advice. Hearing that my 2500k might be starting to get old, I think I'm best off doing some research into the 7xxx (since it coming out on week 09 of 2017 seems like not too huge of a wait) or maybe just pulling the trigger on a 6600k this month. You guys are awesome. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fair warning, you might not notice much of a difference in games unless you also have a good graphics card. Even an i5-2500k won't become a big bottleneck unless it's paired with a state-of-the-art graphics card and you have a >60Hz monitor.